RoseBrooke Studio Reviews

36 | Frederick, MD

36 Reviews for RoseBrooke Studio

3.5

Brenda came recommended by our venue. She arrived on time to both the trial and wedding date, was able to give us all the attention we wanted because I had a small bridal party, and her pricing is really great compared to some others in the area. At my trial, she did a great job for my hair and makeup. On my wedding day, my hair was similar, but not the same. Even though one of my bridesmaids had a picture of my hair from my trial date and showed it to her, my hair accessories didn’t end up in the same place, and were less secure on the big day because of it. My hair and make-up looked lovely and natural though, and so did my bridesmaids. My hair started to fall out not that long into the reception though (even during my first dance with my husband) – I think most likely it started from people hugging me, and then just went from there as the night went on. Not necessarily RoseBrooke’s fault, but the kind of advice I would expect from an experienced professional would be “Let’s put it up just a smidge higher, because people might bump it when they hug you.” So, I’m interested to see if it shows up in the pictures. Brenda was, for the most part, pretty responsive. Overall, everyone looked great, especially for the price, but it would have been nice to have my hair last most of the night.

Sent on 04/11/2015

Valerie · Married on 10/03/2010

3.5

Brenda is the owner of Rose Brooke Studio and can do both hair and make-up. That's exactly what I was looking for: one-stop shopping. My hair and make-up came out fabulous the day of my wedding and look stunning in the pictures. She showed up on time and dressed professionally. She also did my mother's hair and make-up, which looked awesome. She did it exactly the way my mother wanted and my mom was quite pleased with the result. Her prices are very reasonable and affordable. I had to give this vendor fewer stars than I would have liked for several reasons. Although she responded to my emails and phone calls quickly, I wasn't sure she would actually show up at my wedding. Even though our trial appointment was on her calendar, she showed up 30 minutes late for our appointment because she didn't remember she had an appointment with me. She compensated me by not charging me for the trial. I still used her services because she did do a good job. I suggested we take photos of the hair-do for style ease the day of, but she said we didn't need to; she would remember. On the day of, she wasn't certain, so I had to walk her through it. I had to add some touches to my make-up, but that may be because I use certain products, like eyebrow glue, that many people don't use. The result is great, but just make sure she remembers your event.

Sent on 12/03/2010

Jessica · Married on 09/03/2016

3.4
      3.0

By no means was I completely unhappy but my opinion did change a bit from when I did my trail to the actual day of the wedding. I finally heard from her the Wednesday before the wedding letting me know she would be there at 12 p.m.. our ceremony started at 4 oclock and she had 9 girls to take care of. She assured me that would be plenty of time as she will have another person helping her. I agreed 12 would be okay if she was certain that would be enough time. Friday (the day before the wedding) rolls around and we are decorating at our venue and I get a call from Brenda saying she needs to be there at 10 o'clock because she has another wedding she needs to do hair and makeup for to which she needs to leave our venue at 12 and leave just 1 person there to do the rest of the girls. I advised i was concerned my hair would not hold until 4 if it was done at 10 a.m and that 1 person doing the rest of the 8 girls would be kind of nerve wracking, she promised it would be okay. I got off the phone with her and my husbands mom saw I was upset plus brought up the fact that the girls thought they were getting their hair and makeup done at 12 so thats when some were anticipating their arrival which i didnt think of. Brenda ultimately decided not to change the original plan and that she would be there at noon. The day of the wedding her assistant arrived on time and started to work on my bridesmaids hair. Brenda called me Jennifer the entire day even after I corrected her once and my sister corrected her she said "it doesnt matter what i call her" but it does.. my name is Jessica. Her assistant didn't envision hair styles like I did but did do a decent job after asking her to re-do things and her using a curling iron I brought because the one she was using wasn't making curls that were holding. My hair and makeup were different from the trail but she was willing to fix anything to make me happy! She is a sweet lady and did help with calming me and all minor issues got fixed.

Sent on 08/18/2016

3.2
      2.0

I used Brenda to do hair and makeup for my wedding party on site for my wedding. We were pleased with the outcome the day of the wedding but experienced a number of difficulties leading up to the wedding. First, I had difficulty getting in touch with her by email and through her website. For some reason, she did not get any of my three emails nor the request I submitted through her website. Phone and text messages were the only way I was able to communicate with her successfully. Fortunately she was very responsive by text and phone. Also, I had to contact her several times to get her to send me a contract and when I finally received it, the information was incorrect (wrong wedding date, wrong number of services) even though I had given her the correct information twice. In addition, she did not show up on time for a trial appointment I had scheduled with her two weeks prior. When I called her from outside her locked studio, she said she forgot about the appointment. We waited an hour for her to arrive. All that aside, she did a good job the day of the wedding – she showed up on time with her makeup assistant, was pleasant to interact with, and did a nice job with our hair and makeup. She was full service, providing hair and makeup at the venue location on an early Sunday morning. Also, she was much cheaper than some of the other places that I had contacted in the area. Her rates were reasonable and she didn’t charge travel and other extra fees like some other places I considered.

Sent on 06/23/2013

Chrisitne · Married on 09/24/2011

1.4
      1.0

I think too many brides just give five stars to everyone because they just reflect on how awesome their day was as opposed to how easy or difficulat it actually is working with a vendor. This review though will give a real idea of what it is like to work with Brenda who was recommended to me by my venue location but it turns out she has a relationship with the wedding coordinator so I think they recommend her based on that, as opposed to her work.

Overall, she isn't responsive. For example, she didn't send the actual contract to me until about three weeks after I actually booked her and only then after I sent her a subsequent email about it. You would think if someone wants your business they would get it to you right away so you can pay the deposit. It just doesn't make you feel like you can rely on the person. I only actually made contact with her three times, once to book, once to change a time, and once to confirm, but she only returned my call within a decent amount of time for the confirmation call. At one point in the planning I needed to change the time to start a little earlier due to wanting to take pictures with my bridesmaids before hand and it took over two weeks for her to get back to me. If you want someone professional, I wouldn't go with her.

Also she wasn't really pleasant to work with, she had an attitude about "her time" even though she was the only who wrote down the times on the contract. I only give good stars for flexibility because she gave me the option of adding an additional person on in the wedding party the day of and changed my mother's hair from a blow out to an up do.

Finally her work was terribly. None of my girls, liked their hair, only my mother liker hers and thank god she did not do my hair. She and her assistant did six updos for my bridal party in about two hours. It should take at least an hour a head considering the long hair they were working with. She even did one of my friends hair in about thirty minutes and you could tell because all the hair was frizzy. This occured because she failed to prep the hair (stroke it) before placing it. Her assistant was better she was but even the assistant did not listen to what my girls wanted. For example one of my girls wanted curly and pinned and rather than put in any curls at all she braided several strands in the back and placed them in loops.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND.

Sent on 10/19/2011

RoseBrooke Studio's reply:

Im not sure why Christine felt the need to write all of this nonsense!! Ill keep it short and sweet. I started back in the Spring speaking frequently to Christine with all the details of her specail day. Always staying intouch and getting to know my brides! I take great pride in making sure I dont have just a cyber space relationship! Christine was at her event location when I had the opportunity in meeting her personally and shanking her hand and indicating I would be looking forward in working with her and her wedding party. It was at that time when the event coordinator introduced us personally! "Wow" I still cant understand why and how people have the time to do this much chit chat. From that point forward everything was great sailing....consulting on a frequet bases!! We were ready for the special day. Showing up prompt on site...ready to service my client and her wedding party. We waited outside for 30 min for her to organize her self before we could even get started! After setting up and started everyone was great to work with and very excited that everything was going great! Taking pictures of all hairstyles and makeup applications "which I have on my website and fb page" www.rosebrookestudio.com. Christine gave me a check and was happy with her services!!! MoM was Great!! Bride and girls of the Bridal Party were very unappreciative. Im very appreciative of their business! Sincerely, Brenda Dalton of RoseBrookeStudio.com
  • Heather

Heather B. · Married on 07/01/2020

Do NOT Hire Rosebrooke

Unfortunately my sister’s wedding was cancelled due to COVID-19. Brenda graciously offered to refund my sister her $900 deposit on July 1st. 2 months go by and there is no refund for her or her bridesmaids (me being one of them). Finally after many times of asking, my sister received a $500 refund. When my sister asked when she would get the remaining money Brenda stopped responding. After the bridesmaid and bride called to see where our money was, she called my sister a bully and I quote that she “has problems”. I couldn’t believe it so I started looking at her other reviews and discovered a pattern. In other reviews she has told people to take a “Xanax”, “spoiled princess”, and threatened to cancel on someone on their wedding day because the bride was upset that Brenda was late. I also read many reviews of brides and bridesmaids being unhappy with their hair and makeup and Brenda telling them that she would refund them but she never did. Please do not risk dealing with Brenda. She is unprofessional and rude and if she messes up your hair will not refund you. Beware!!!

Sent on 11/01/2020
  • Jessie

Jessie B. · Married on 04/25/2020

Terrible experience

Sadly I would not recommend RoseBrooke Studio. Brenda's assistant had actually done my hair and makeup back in 2014 at my best friend's wedding, and it was great, but service has slipped exponentially since then. Like so many brides, I had to cancel my wedding due to Covid. I, along with my bridesmaids, have spent the past 6 months battling with Brenda to get just half of our money back. This included Brenda sending abrupt and emotional texts to me and my bridesmaids, including name-calling. I was shocked. Brenda had insisted at my trial that I pay in full "to make it easier." I really regret that decision. I understand she will not refund me in full, as this was technically part of my contract, but I'd like to note that she is the only vendor who did not refund me in full due to Covid. I understand Covid is no one's fault, but aside from the mess of the virus, I would not recommend RoseBrooke Studio. Brenda only half-attempted my trial, did not do my hair as requested, and simply spent 5 minutes on my makeup, which I could have done better myself (she didn't even tint my brows for goodness sake). Sure, my bridesmaids and I ended up getting half of our money back. But this was after countless attempts, which was extremely stressful for everyone involved because Brenda was not responsive and when she was, she would make exclamatory statements to me and my bridesmaids. Worst of all, the last interaction I had with Brenda was a threatening letter from the lawyer that represents RoseBrooke that I mustn't make public the experience I've had over the past 6 months. I'm willing to take that risk to ensure other brides beware of working with RoseBrooke Studio. Please read other brides' accounts over the past few years on wedding wire of Brenda calling them names like "spoiled princess" and making statements like "you need a xanax!" Clearly I was not alone in this regretful experience.

Sent on 10/28/2020

Jennifer · Married on 12/03/2016

1.0

Pass. There was no follow through on commitments made, I told her there were going to be 7 people needing hair and/or makeup and that I was nervous about everyone getting done. She assured me that she would have someone with her and not to worry. When she arrived there was another stylist with her who also brought her 2 teenage daughters, which didn't bother me so much except for the fact that she had to leave to take her daughters to a party after only doing 2 updos. I was the last person in her chair my hair was not the same as the trial and neither was my makeup. As she was doing my makeup I commented on how dark the foundation was that she was using, again I was assured it'd be fine. She only spent about 20 minutes on me total, by the time she finished we were running so far behind I didn't get a clear look at my makeup. I was so embarrassed when I got a clear view of my makeup and even more so when I saw the foundation line in my wedding photos. We paid for an updo that lasted all of 10 minutes. A refund was promised and any and all phone calls made to Brenda about not getting the refund were ignored. When she did finally call me back she yelled at me and called me a spoiled princess. After 3 1/2 months I did finally receive the refund.

Sent on 03/10/2017

Heather · Married on 06/21/2014

0.8
      0.0

She broke her contract. She was supposed to be there from 10am - 2 pm doing 8 people's hair. I contacted her the day before my wedding where she informed me she was triple booked and would be there from 8:30 am till 10am. The morning of my wedding day she was 30 min late and when I called to ask where she was and my concern in her rushing my hair since she was late her response was "you need to calm down I will be there soon, you also need to know my concern in getting to my other appointments as well, and if you freak out on me I will walk out on you". I had no other option but to wait patiently and very quietly for her to get there do my hair and 6 other people and then she left. I paid her for 8 hair do's, I only got 7. Plus my bridesmaids had to fix my hair multiple times before the wedding. This was very unprofessional, but I should have know because she was almost an hour late for my trial which she assured me never happens, she is always on time. And to top it all off my hair was not at all what she did the day of the trial, my wedding day I looked like I had a cone on my head, but I didn't want to tell her I didn't like it because of fear she would "walk out on me". Some of the girls hair turned out good, but did not last the entire night.

Sent on 07/12/2014

Kathryn · Married on 08/31/2018

0.6

You decide…..
    Daughter #1 paid $950 in February for Daughter #2’s wedding in August. Payment included a FREE trial hair/makeup for the bride.
    Trial was done on July 19 – the bride did not like either of the hairstyles Brenda did nor did she like the makeup. Contract was signed. I paid $50 to have her hair washed and was given a blow out. Hair drooped within 30 minutes of being done, even though I was in an air conditioned car. Contract was cancelled within 24 hours of having the hair/makeup done. Refund requested by me. Several emails and phone calls were made to Brenda by me. No response. Finally I called Brenda and advised that her that I would be in Frederick that Sunday and would like to arrange to pick up the full refund. I had indicated to be fair I would pay her $200 for the free trial, which would have been the cost for the hair/makeup on the date of the wedding. Brenda called Daughter #1 and told her I was harassing her and said she would refund $475. As we had not been successful in getting anything back from Brenda, Daughter #1 agreed. As I signed the contract and ultimately paid for the hair/makeup, I have asked Brenda for the remaining $275 which should have been refunded to me. Thus far, no response from Brenda. If she does send us the remainder of our money, I will be fair and update the critique of her services.

Sent on 09/04/2018

0.2
      0.0

I had a terrible experience with Brenda and Rose Brooks Studio on my wedding day. More than anything, I want to make sure that it doesn't happen to anyone else, otherwise I wouldn't take the time to write this review.

I signed a contract with Brenda to provide hair styling for my six bridesmaids and hair and makeup for me for a total of $740. She told us to be at her shop at 10 and said she'd be able to complete all of us by 12. Anticipating that it might take longer, I called and asked for the services to begin at 9:30; Brenda agreed. We were shocked to see that Brenda was the only person styling hair. Another girl helped, but Brenda was the only stylist.

By 11:30 (two hours into the appointment) only my maid-of-honor and I had our services complete. That left 30 minutes for five additional girls. The appointment then ran an additional hour (now 1:00), and in the end four of the six bridesmaids were very unhappy with their results. My maid-of-honor actually redid her hair when she got back to my house (despite the fact that she had paid extra for a trial, her finished product didn't look anything like she had hoped).By 1:00, we had missed lunch and were rushing to meet the photographer at my house at 1:30.

I called Brenda the next day to set up a meeting to discuss my concerns. She yelled at me over the phone, telling my I needed Xanax, but agreed to meet with me. She acknowledged that her services were rushed, that she had trouble with my maid-of-honor's extensions and she seemed to understand that several girls were not satisfied with their hair. We discussed a reasonable compromise to make certain that we were "satisfied customers". Our proposal was that she refund 50% of the cost for each girl who was not satisfied with her hair. That would have been refunding approximately $45 for 4 girls. We left thinking that she agreed that was fair, but in the end we never received any compensation. We were incredibly disappointed with this service.

Sent on 01/31/2016