Greatest Expectations Special Events & Weddings, Inc. Reviews

36 | Chicago, IL

36 Reviews for Greatest Expectations Special Events & Weddings, Inc.

WeddingWire Couples' Choice Awards 2009 Winner

Lauren · Married on 10/07/2017

Hiring a day of coordinator was one of the best decisions we made for our wedding. We decided fairly last minute to do so, but are so glad we did. From the moment we started working with Calli, everything seemed to fall into place and logistics weren't nearly as overwhelming. The week before she took over lost contact with our vendors, came up with a day of timeline and helped us at our rehearsal. On the wedding day she took care of all set up and tear down- which there was a lot of since we did our own decorations. She answered all our questions and made sure we had everything we needed! I honestly don't know what we would have done without her help.

Lindsay · Married on 05/20/2017

We were given valuable planning advice as we made decisions for our big day. From knowing what to expect on guest count rsvp's to council on vendor choices, Heather provided exclusive help and an extremely experienced point of view. When we reached the wedding day, our day-of coordinators were an amazing source of stability and direction. We were so glad we chose to have day-of coordinators - little did we know what our headspace would be that day! Calli & Ellen were incredibly sweet to be around and proficient in guiding our day along smoothly and with class!

I signed up for a partial planning package with Heather about 1 year before my wedding. I wanted to have someone on the ground in Chicago since I was planning the wedding from NYC. Heather was amazing. Though mostly emails and phone/video calls, she helped me find and coordinate all of my wedding day vendors. She scheduled our tasting, cake tasting, and floral meeting all on the same day to minimize our travel between NYC and Chicago. She really knows what she is doing and was spot on about our guest estimates when planning with the vendors. Whenever I was feeling nervous or antsy about she knew just what to say. Throughout the process, she guided me to make choices that expressed what I wanted but also would be received well by my guests. Ultimately, decisions were always my choice.

After over a year of planning, I had my wedding in May in Chicago. Friends and family are still telling us how smoothly the whole thing ran, and how the wedding was a perfect expression of us as a couple. I honestly believe that our event would not have been as amazing without the help of Heather. I would highly recommend her as a wedding planner to any couple.

Marcella · Married on 10/06/2015

If you are planning a wedding in Chicago and you live out of town, Heather is the planner for you. She was great for offering suggestions, already having vendors she works with for things like flowers and photography and hair & makeup and officiant, doing the footwork on working with our luncheon location (and finding it for us in the first place!). Day-of coordination made sure everything went smoothly, and it was pretty much exactly the day we wanted.

Laura · Married on 09/05/2015

Seriously, BACONHEART these guys. Why:

[Exhibit A]: The end result was so far beyond what we could have imagined and light years beyond what we could have achieved on our own. Heather worked with us through the process, from the first meeting where we gave her an idea of all our wedding hopes and dreams (which to be clear, was basically us saying we like "things" and "stuff" and we wanted to have "fun"and the guest count was "unknown" and the budget was "reasonable"), to selecting vendors and the overall look, to determining and coordinating the exact timing that everything should happen [Glowsticks passed at 9:42] the day of.

[Exhibit B]: We are both busy professionals and don't have much time,energy or patience for the decision making process (mainly patience), Heather was fantastic about intuiting our personalities and preferences and narrowing down the universe of options available to 1-3 vendors that she felt were the right choices with a mix of pricing options. It made the process of selecting the myriad of vendors that are required to make a wedding happen (dare I say it) easy(!??!).

[Exhibit C]: There were a LOT of strong opinions and personalities involved in planning our wedding. I repeatedly demanded to have a Chimpanzee on a Segway [See YouTube]. So you can imagine what other, more reasonable requests were. Heather did a great job making sure people felt included and that their voices and opinions were incorporated throughout the process. As you might imagine, this resulted in some somewhat stressful situations which Heather handled with aplomb and a positive attitude.

[Exhibit D] They are badasses. Rogue, who was with us on the Trolley as we went around taking pictures before the ceremony MADE A SECURITY GUARD CRY. By her sheer badassedry. True fact.

[Exhibit E] They are awesome. We wrote into our contract that every meeting had to be at a bar -- because we don't plan when not at a bar. And we did. And.it.was.rad.

I can’t even begin to express my gratitude for Heather and the Greatest Expectations team. She is 100% responsible for the success of our wedding, and I do not know how we would have done it without her!

I chose to pursue a wedding planner because I was planning a wedding from afar and I needed a reliable planner in Chicago who could help me through the process. I was given Greatest Expectations as a recommendation and after the first meeting it was apparent that Greatest Expectations was going to be a perfect fit. I met with one other city wedding planner, and after that consultation it was clear that Heather is above the rest. Her amount of experience and professionalism is noticeable.

Heather was involved in our wedding planning process for about a year. From the beginning she was honest and attentive and fully committed to planning an event we would love. She gave us a detailed timeline and frequently checked in to see how the process was coming along. Heather’s involvement through the last few months before the wedding was crucial. She was available and attentive—answered any wedding related question and even gave advice when dealing with difficult family members. She went above and beyond her job description to help us along the way! She guided me through the last minute details and made sure the entire weekend ran smoothly.

I would recommend Greatest Expectations to anyone looking for a wedding planner. Heather’s work is beautiful. Her events are classy, tasteful, and beautifully run. She is personable and a true expert in her field. Her team is professional and experienced. Having Greatest Expectations involved in my wedding was crucial to the success of my event.

Patrick · Married on 08/08/2014

I gave Heather Vickery tough challenges when I asked for her help with our wedding reception: plan an amazing party for our friends and family who love to eat and drink, do it on a strict budget, deal with all my neuroses, and please convince my (now) husband that we desperately need a big party.

Heather surpassed all of my expectations, professionally meeting all of the above challenges while making the entire process fun and exciting. Things come up when planning a big party, and if I were to have done all the planning on my own, I would have had many major melt-downs. With Heather's help, any potentially major problems rapidly became minor or non-existent ones. As my husband and I have full-time very time-consuming jobs, I know we couldn't have accomplished what we did without Heather's help. She was awesome.

Kristina · Married on 03/22/2014

I had no agenda with regards to what I wanted our wedding to look like; I just wanted a great event for our close family and friends to gather together and celebrate. I also knew we wanted to get married within 4-6 months, and that my life was busy enough as is before throwing in a major event to plan. I knew from the start that I wanted a planner. More importantly, I wanted a partner. It was important to identify an expert planner who could extract a vision out of nowhere, one who is responsive and understanding of what it means to provide a great client experience, one who could manage the research process, manage the vendors, create our to dos and make it come together. I made one phone call to Heather Vickery. I appreciated her corporate event planning experience and the way she presented herself and her company via her website. Our initial meeting was fantastic; I appreciated that she would be personally involved in the entire process, that she only takes one client per weekend – so you knew you would have her time and attention when it matters most. And when it came to personalities, we just meshed. She asked the right open-ended questions so that we quickly were able to create a vision for the day. I told her up front that I wasn’t shopping around – that if we liked one another, then we needed to get started. And it was easy to know that she was my woman. She presented us with fantastic vendor choices so that our event was everything we wanted and more. And when it comes to vendor management and coordination of the countless details that are necessary the weeks before – and especially on the wedding day -- she is outstanding. I knew it was taken care of, I knew it would all happen seamlessly (even though I am sure there were hiccups along the way!). I can’t imagine my day without Heather. She nailed it.

Jen · Married on 09/14/2013

We worked with Katherine to plan our wedding, and I really can't find enough words to say how amazing she was. She was there, every step of the way, during our 18 months of planning. She helped us find the perfect vendors, set up all of our meetings, everything you might expect. But, what was really great about working with Katherine is how supportive and understanding she was. She was always available to discuss things at any time, and really helped me stay sane during the whole planning process. She truly understood our vision, and did everything she could to help us make our perfect day come to life. Our wedding day was everything we hoped it would be (and more!), and that is 100% because of all of the hard work Katherine put into it. She also brought a team with her the day of our wedding to help make sure everything went smoothly, and they were fantastic. I really can't recommend working with Greatest Expectations enough. I can't imagine going through the wedding planning process in a city as big as Chicago without someone who knows the business like they do. It's worth every penny, and more.

I got engaged just as I was opening my business and while I was beyond excited to get married I was less than excited to start all of the details of wedding planning. Essentially I did not have time for both. Enter Heather and her team of experts. I sat down with Heather about a year before my wedding and told her exactly what my perfect wedding would look like if I had time to plan. Heather was extremely detailed about asking questions and taking notes and seemed so excited to make my dreams come true.

Each month after, Heather and I scheduled follow up meeting to discuss progress and changes to my dream wedding. At that point Heather set up all of my catering and event meetings and all I had to do was show up to make the final decisions.

I did not know what to expect on the day of my wedding because I basically let Heather run with the ball on almost every detail in terms of the day of event. Let me say I was beyond excited to see the finished product and do not think I could have done it any better even if I was working 40 hours per week on my own wedding. MY guests said it was one of the best decorated and well executed events that they had ever been to and I did not have an ounce of stress throughout my entire engagement or the day of.

I cannot thank Heather and her team enough for making our dream wedding come alive and would recommend her to anyone looking to plan an event!

Heather & her amazing team were the coordinators this past June for mine & my husband's wedding in Elkhorn, Wisconsin. Coming form Chicago it is essentially a destination wedding. Guests travelled from Minnesota and Illinois (and further) to attend the 2 day event and Heather was there making sure everything was flawless. Starting on Friday, she helped coordinated the rehearsal, making sure everyone was comfortable and knew the details to the ceremony. Saturday she and her team were non stop in making sure every single details was perfect. I could run through the entire list of details that she took care of, but essentially she made sure that I didn't not have a single worry the entire day. The Greatest Expectations team coordinated all my wonderful vendors, made the ceremony smooth and sweet, helped set up the place cards, greeted guests and every single time I saw Heather and staff they were smiling and making sure I felt calm and relaxed. I knew I never had a thing to stress about. The venue was at a camp ground, which was spread out, which meant lots of legwork and walking (and even a bit of rain). She managed guests so they were where they needed to be in order for dinner to be on time and dancing to begin. I think she even somehow managed to make a deal with Mother Nature so that it only rained when we were under the tent for dinner, and stopped right as everyone finished up eating with a sunset to follow (!!!). Thank you so much to Heather & the Greatest Expectations team for making our wedding the most perfect day of our lives. It was such a wonderful experience from start to finish!!!

Connie · Married on 11/11/2012

From beginning to end Greatest Expectations met and exceeded all of my visions and hopes.
    Every step of the planning process was a dream. Every part of our special day played out like a dream. From the event planners, to the staff each and every person genuinely cared about what would make us happy. There are not enough words or gratitude to express how truly exceptional Greatest Expectations is.

Jessica · Married on 09/08/2012

Heather and her team are the most amazing and down to earth people I have had the pleasure of knowing and working with. I cannot even express how grateful my husband and I are that we hired Greatest Expectations as our wedding planner. Heather is not only your planner, she is your friend, your sounding board and always has your best interest in mind.

Planning your wedding has to be one of the most stressful and emotionally trying times in your life and having Heather as our wedding planner made the entire process effortless. Our wedding was perfect and we are still getting compliments from our guests. She is always available to answer your questions, offer suggestions and to guide you through one of the most exciting times of your life. Her experience in the industry, her vendor knowledge and her creative background are imperative in helping you create the perfect day.

Not everyone has a huge budget (I know we all wish we did) but Heather works closely with you to achieve exactly what you are looking for in the budget you can afford. She finds the most creative and cost effective ways to work within your budget and she is always upfront and honest on what you can afford. She also introduces you to the vendors that perfectly suit your style and needs which is so refreshing and makes the process that much more fun.

I hear too many times from people that wedding planners are too much of an added expense and they could not be further from the truth! Hiring a wedding planner is worth every single penny! I can guarantee that if you work with Heather your event will be beautiful and more amazing than you could have imagined. At the end of our wedding (which went by way too fast) my husband and I felt like we had accomplished the world and we owed that all to Heather. Thank you Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Greatest Expectations made wedding planning so much less stressful than I ever expected. They provided numerous excellent vendor recommendations, listened to our opinions, and provided their educated feedback. Heather and Katherine and the other employees of Greatest Expectations have so much enthusiasm for what they do, it's infectious. I was particularly grateful for Heather and her team after I moved out of town a few months before our wedding. They organized all our vendors, did a final walkthrough of our space, and so much more. Their help was invaluable. You will not regret hiring Greatest Expectations.

• User2031829 · 2+ years ago

Greatest Expectations made planning my wedding so much easier. I could not have done it without them!!

• Amy

Amy · Married on 11/11/2011

Absolutely amazing!! Heather and Katherine are absolutely amazing. We had a wonderful wedding because of them and we couldn't ask for more. They both provided the utmost attention and care to every aspect of our wedding. Greatest Expectations should be the first phone call you make after you're engaged. You definitely won't regret it.

We were married in November and our first meeting was in May. At our first meeting, Heather and Katherine provided us with a timeline and asked us our goals and vision for the wedding. From there, they hit the ground running. Our ideas came to life on our wedding day, more so than I ever imagined.

Not only was their planning and day of coordination (which I will get to) on point, they have access to the best vendors in Chicago. From our invitations, rentals, makeup artists, trainer, rehearsal dinner venues, band; you name it, all were beyond spectacular. I would never have found some of these vendors on my own and more importantly Greatest Expectations do all the work for you when it comes to finding vendors and setting up appointments. What a time saver!! If you and your fiance are working professionals that have a limited amount of time, this part is essential to your wedding. Heather and Katherine truly make their planning an one stop shop for all your wedding needs.

Another thing I should add is that my husband and I are Asian. We had done two traditional ceremonies on top of the actual wedding ceremony. I will have to say that Greatest Expectations were totally embracing our culture, ensuring us the time and space needed for the additional events. I know there are alot of brides out there with multiple day events, I highly recommend Great Expectations for your needs.

Now the wedding day. The coordination went without a hitch, and if there was one, I didn't know about it. The great thing was that my husband and my only responsibility was to enjoy our wedding day and that's what we did. Yes Greatest Expectations provided an endless amount of knowledge and expertise through the whole engagement, but the fact that I didn't know or have to deal with any issues or hiccups on my wedding day, I would consider priceless.

If you truly want to enjoy, not only your wedding day, but the whole engagement, the key is a wedding planner. If you want one that is tried and trued, extremely knowledgeable and professional, Greatest Expectations is it. Yes having a wedding planner is an extra expense, but one that is worth every penny for you and your fiance to enjoy every minute of your engagement and wedding. Congratulations to you and THANK YOU to Greatest Expectations.

Angie · Married on 06/18/2011

I had Heather in mind as a wedding planner since I was in my cousin's wedding almost 5 years ago. She and her staff were so memorable that I knew when it was my turn to get married, I wanted the best person to help me out.
    And did she help! Heather is fantastic. I really cannot say enough kind words about her and Catherine and the rest of the girls there that night. And it wasn't even the night of my wedding - Heather met with me on several occasions, listened to everything, and gave me an abundance of suggestions when things weren't going right.
    If you are looking for someone who truly wants to make your wedding day the best day of your life, Heather and her team are the perfect people to have on your side!

Erica · Married on 09/25/2010

I used Greatest Expectations as my wedding planner and they were incredible. Heather, the owner, had the answers to all my questions and knew exactly what to excpect for my wedding day! She was wonderful to work with and extremly helpful, I was strugglingh with what song to use for my father/daughter dance and Heather had some great recommendations. I would recommend using Greatest Expectations for your wedding or special event.

Michelle · Married on 09/05/2010

We had the absolute pleasure of working with Heather from Greatest Expectations for our wedding. It was the best decision we made in the whole planning process. Her assistant, Katherine, was there with us for most of our engagement as well, and together they made an amazing team. Throughout our entire two year planning process, they recommended great vendors, gave us great suggestions (which brought a lot of my crazy ideas to fruition) while keeping us on track, on budget and on time. Heather and her team made sure that everything ran as expected the day of the wedding, not only did I get to enjoy my day but my family did as well without the burden of any responsibilities. I honestly can not say enough great things about Heather and Katherine. They are truly the kindest people, who happens be amazing wedding coordinators! They made our wedding happen, and it was hands down the wedding of our dreams.

If you are looking for a planner, you could not find a better person to help with the expected and fix the unexpected. I would highly recommend using Greatest Expectations.

• W

William · Married on 03/07/2010

I have a full time job and even though it was my wedding and all, I didn't have a lot of time to plan my own wedding, sadly, and I trusted them with my own wedding (at first I was extremely worried), however it ended up being perfect. Thank you!

Megan · Married on 10/17/2009

Heather and her team are so amazing!! We really enjoyed working with them - we are a bit of a high strung couple and they kept us laughing through the whole planning process. They kept it light and fun - we needed help with that! When we were stressed about different choices, their expertise came to the rescue...it felt like they always knew what to do. I felt like they totally understood what we wanted: we only had to look at 3 reception places before I fell in love with one and while I had lots of choices on all my vendors, it seemed like Heather knew exactly who would work best for us; what a talent! Everyone was fantastic and our wedding is being raved about far and wide to this day!!!!

Kristen · Married on 10/03/2009

Greatest Expectations were absolutely worth every penny. Thye are wonderful to work with. They made the entire wedding process go smoothly and really strive to take away the stress from wedding planning. I'm a hairstylist and I end up doing alot of wedding day hair for clients and their bridal parties. I have never seen a wedding planner that was so professional and organized as they were. I highly recommend them!!!

Rachel · Married on 09/05/2009

I do not know what I would have done without Heather and Greatest Expectations, they were the single best decision I made in wedding planning. Heather was the most responsive person I have ever worked with, if she did not answer your call within a few hours, I feared that something was wrong. She is energetic, warm, friendly, and creative. She has the best ideas of how to make your "dream wedding" a reality. Best of all, she listens to your budget. She always works within the budget you create with her, never suggesting adding a single cent. There was such little stress with the process (at least I never heard about it!) My wedding was a dream come true and only because Heather and her team made it perfect.

• Christina

Christina · Married on 04/18/2009

My husband and I got married in April, and we could not have pulled off the wedding that we did without Heather Vickery. We chose a venue for which we had to bring in everything in ourselves, from catering to furniture to lighting to the sound system. I had no idea where to begin, but Heather broke it down into manageable pieces, dealt with the vendors, and basically kept me sane! On the day of, she took care of all the details, so I didn't worry about anything and basically just followed directions on where I had to be and when. She went above and beyond the expectations that I had for her. I love what Heather did for us and for our wedding, and would highly recommend her to any of my friends.

Makayla · Married on 02/28/2009

Heather was always willing to make changes in order to fit our budget, find fun, unique touches to add, and was more than anything a friendly face to help calm us down and help us remember the true reason for getting married- LOVE! I would recommend her and her team to anyone! She truly loves what she does and it shows with every decision and every ounce of support she provides!