Boxtree Lodge Reviews

18 Reviews for Boxtree Lodge

• amanda

amanda · Married on 10/13/2018

Phenomenal

Boxtree lodge was perfect for our even! We truly could not have asked for a better venue. There are multiple places on the property for the ceremony and reception. We rented the cabins as well and it was absolutely perfect! The owner are super friendly, and very accommodating!! I highly, highly reccomend Boxtree lodge or any venue on Glenburn farms!

Sent on 10/16/2018
  • Bekah

Bekah · Married on 03/02/2013

We actually got married at Braeloch which is the larger building on the hill by boxtree lodge. We thought it was BEAUTIFUL. I would suggest it for the spring or fall, not the summer. It has no air conditioning and I know it would be REALLY hot in the summer. Ours was in March though so it wasn't a big deal. No heat either though, so we were all pretty chilly!!! It really depends on the weather for this place! But it is simpsly GORGEOUS though!!!

Sent on 03/20/2013
  • Temple

Temple · Married on 07/24/2011

Boxtree Lodge is a wonderful venue for the DIY bride. You can turn this location into whatever fantasy world you like. The owners are helpful and accomodating. The venue is clean and ready to use.

Sent on 08/18/2011

Sheri · Married on 05/28/2011

Finding this venue was the best thing that happened to me. Planning a wedding in Roanoke, while living in Northern VA presented a challenge in finding the right venue. However, with the first visit to Boxtree I knew it was the right place. Al and Nancy are incredibly helpful and flexible; they offer their space at a remarkable price and with few limitations other than not using staples and making sure to put your candles in some type of vase or votive holder. We were able to get into the venue at 8am on Friday and had to be cleaned up and out by 12pm Sunday. It's a blank slate and you can do anything or nothing with it. They offer many round tables (20+) and several rectangle tables (5-10) as well as metal folding chairs. I did use their tables but didn't use the folding chairs just for the look of everything. Boxtree also offers a house on the premises for the bridal party to get ready. We were able to rent it for the entire weekend for $200 (price may vary depending on yearly adjustments); it sleeps 4 but if you don't use it to sleep in then you don't have to pay more.

The only downfall of the venue is that it is separated into two rooms. A large one and then a smaller, but wider room. This makes it a little awkward if you have a larger party. We used the smaller room for the cake, food, and gifts and then put the dancing floor/dj and dining tables in the larger room. However, what this meant was that we had to do the cocktail hour outside in order for everything to be set up and ready to go without people seeing them get ready. The only other slight downfall is that you are the true planner of your event (or your coordinator). Because it's a blank slate you have to do all the legwork to get the vendors on the same page. Really... this isn't that hard but some brides may find it overwhelming and for those - you might just want to go with a place that gives you certain vendors you can choose from and does all the organizing for you. Or just hire a wedding coordinator.

All in all - everything was fantastic at Boxtree Lodge and I couldn't have asked for anything better. To get this venue for an entire weekend for less than I would have paid for 4 hours of time at most other venues made this decision a no brainer!

Sent on 06/14/2011

Megan · Married on 11/06/2010

Boxtree Lodge was the perfect location for our rustic/elegant wedding. We loved being able to bring in our own caterer and provide our favorite home cooked meals to our guests. The lighting created a romantic atmosphere and is perfect for a "DIY" bride. It is more work compared to other venues, but having a wedding planner on the day of the wedding allowed us to enjoy the entire reception without worrying about a thing!

Sent on 02/11/2012
  • Mrs.Archer

Teresa · Married on 08/21/2010

Very nice place to get married for a country theme wedding great veiws. The vendors themselfs are very nice and very easy to work with. I could not have been happier everything was great.

Sent on 09/01/2010

Nicole · Married on 11/21/2015

So far, planning my ceremony and reception at Braeloch has been a great experience. Although the pictures online of Braeloch are beautiful, actually visiting the location really convinced me that this was the place for my wedding. The views of the mountains and valley are absolutely beautiful, and Braeloch is very elegant and simple--perfect for customizing your wedding. The owners have been very helpful and I look forward to working with them as I continue to plan my wedding at Braeloch.

Sent on 01/04/2015

Lindsey · Married on 11/04/2017

A flexible venue with multiple indoor and outdoor ceremony and reception options. Definitely a DIY venue and at a great value.

Sent on 11/30/2017

Ashley · Married on 08/22/2015

BoxTree Lodge where can I begin......From the moment my fiancé and I looked at it I knew it was the place to say our vows! From the view of the mountains to the rustic reception area. Its definitely a DIY venue. You get the venue for the whole weekend from Friday to noon on Sunday. We in addition to the actual BoxTree Lodge we we rented the pavilion ( for rehearsal dinner and guys to get ready) and one of the cabins for the girls to get ready and a place to spend our first night together. The reception hall is beautiful however you have to set up all the tables, chairs and decorations yourself and have them cleaned up by noon on Sunday. I personally loved it because you can take the place and transform it into anything you want it to be. I was thankful for a previous bride who left lights and burlap in the ceiling because it was something we were wanting anyways and it helped save us some money! The cabins are well worth the rental for the weekend. Adorable and nice for the bride, bridesmaids and mothers to get ready in. I highly recommend this place!

Sent on 04/19/2016

Kayla · Married on 07/19/2014

Boxtree Lodge was a BEAUTIFUL venue for our wedding of 130 guests. You can't beat the price considering you get access to the venue all day Friday & Saturday and til noon on Sunday for cleanup. The venue comes with tables & chairs, but everything else is an open canvas. This does mean a lot more planning than some other (more expensive) venues but it gives you the opportunity to control your costs. I do agree with a few other reviews that have commented on the professionalism of the owners - they are both very sweet and helpful but they can be difficult to get in touch with and when it comes time to set everything up it was somewhat aggravating to be reminded several times how to stack chairs correctly, etc. Otherwise, great venue for a great price.

Sent on 08/04/2014

Christine · Married on 11/08/2008

Great venu, loved the rustic appeal and country setting. Owners are very friendly and you rent the space for the whole weekend which gives you plenty of time to set everything up on friday. Rental rates are affordable. Book a year ahead of time or earlier, I booked in October 2007 and wasn't able to get reserve the space until November 8th, 2008

Sent on 12/04/2008

Jaime · Married on 06/15/2014

Braeloch is BEAUTIFUL! It is also an amazing price for a wedding venue. It is more of a DIY venue which made planning more flexible.

Sent on 07/14/2014
  • Cindy

Cindy Ponjavic · Married on 08/03/2019

4.2
      2.0

The Glen- beautiful venue, but all DIY

We had our reception at On the Glen, which is on the same property as Boxtree. The space was large and gorgeous and we loved the hexagon shape of the building. Nancy and Al were nice and very easy to get in touch with. The venue is basically a DIY since it only comes with tables and chairs, but you do get access for the entire weekend (Fri-Sun). Our only issue was that we wanted our reception to go late and at first we were told there wouldn't be a problem with that, but two weeks before the wedding Al told us we would have to hire security guards for the event. Not a huge problem but it didn't come at a great time since we were in crunch time.

Sent on 09/05/2019

Lauren · Married on 06/24/2017

4.2
      3.0

This place is beautiful! We received so many compliments on the venue. If you want a DIY wedding,this is the place. It was a lot of work but in the end we got what we wanted rather then complying with other venue' s rules. I would highly recommend this place to anyone! The owners are great and easy to work with as well

Sent on 07/08/2017

3.2
      2.5

I had my wedding at BoxTree Lodge this summer and thought that it was a really great deal. It is a wonderful location that you get for the whole weekend at a great price. That being said, the owners could stand to be a little more professional. It was hard to get a hold of them, I would have to leave several messages before getting a call back a couple days later. When it came time to start decorating the venue for our wedding, the owner dropped by to make sure that we knew some things, which was totally fine. We also had the rehearsal dinner at BoxTree, and while we were going through the rehearsal the owner came around again, driving around the lawn in his jeep, checking all the decorations out, and then walking around all our dinner guests before leaving after 15 minutes. The day of the wedding he walked into the venue around 9:30 pm, walked all around the dance floor, then proceeded to walk though all the tables where guests were still eating before making his way back to the kitchen where my father-in-law found him talking to the catering staff. In my opinion this behavior was unacceptable, I am just glad that he did not take it upon himself to start walking around while the wedding ceremony was taking place. It is a great venue, with beautiful views, I think the owners could stand to be a little more professional.

Sent on 07/03/2013

2.2
      1.5
      3.5
      1.0

This is a beautiful venue but is ALL DIY; the scenic views of the mountains, hillside and rustic barn all make for a gorgeous wedding. They do provide table & chairs but any decorations will be your responsibility. Please understand before choosing Boxtree that the owners are very controlling, hard to get in touch with and do NOT keep up their property. I love the mountain views and hillside but their actual house to get ready in is falling apart. Inside the house where the girls get ready, the AC unit didn't reach upstairs, the ceiling fan was broken & my bridesmaids were hot & uncomfortable getting ready. (the upstairs room made for the best pictures per my professional photographer) The bathroom upstairs leaked; there was water all over the floor and we were NOT trying to get dirty floor water on our bridesmaid dresses or my gown!! They also didn't leave any towels for hand washing. Finally, & this is my main reason for my low rating (2 stars) -- we were told by the owners Al and Nancy Hammond to "decorate how we want". So, in decorating how we want, we removed the burlap that was draped from the ceiling to replace with my white fabric & additional lights. We left the reception area cleaner that when we found it! We swept, removed all our decorations and we were out by noon. Hours later I get a call asking where their burlap was; no where in the contract or verbal conversations was I told to LEAVE the burlap up or replace it if we took it down. The burlap was returned (we didn't need it) we just didn't want it up for our reception. I am baffled that they could tell us to decorate however we want, then when we do, demand we replace what was there. I am pretty certain they didn't even pay for it, as a previous bride had decorated with it and left it behind. This experience definitely left a foul taste in my mouth and I do not recommend them.

Sent on 09/12/2015

2.0
      3.0
      1.0

As soon as I saw Boxtree Lodge I knew that it was the place for my wedding. Unfortunately I was not very pleased with the owners leading up to the wedding. They would not answer phone calls for days. Al told my mother for 20 minutes how to clean things and told her it better be done the correct way. He came during my reception and yelled at one of my guests, fussed about trash (which we had taken out ourselves) walked around, peaked through the windows, and drove his truck all over the lawn during the reception. I'm totally fine with him making sure things are okay, however I feel like yelling at a guest is not okay nor is peaking through windows. I had several guests complain to me about this after coming home from our honeymoon. I loved the look of the venue, however I was very displeased with how they made me feel on my wedding day. It is suppose to be a stress free day, but I was just worried about what was going to go wrong.

Sent on 12/22/2013

Ashley · Married on 07/23/2016

0.8
      0.5
      1.0

I had my wedding at The Glen on Glenburn Farms on July 23rd 2016. Initially the venue was perfect when I went to see it, which was in March of 2016. It had plenty of space, the view of the mountains was great, and loved the dance in the middle. We also looked at the Braeloch but ultimately decided to go with the Glen because it was the newer facility so we assumed the A/C would work better for our large wedding. Needless to say, my wedding day was the HOTTEST day of my life. The A/C in the Glen was on but the size of the A/C unit is not equipped for that size of building. They also had hail damge to the A/C unit that they had yet to fix. Because of the A/C issue, I had guests who got sick (yes, it was THAT hot), guest who left early, guests who were wetting napkins and wearing them to get cool and there wasn't much dancing until the sun went down. The owner did show up a few times but nothing was fixed, I was never formally apologized too nor did they offer any time of compensation back to me for my extreme inconvenience. If you are getting married in the fall or winter, it might not be bad but I would be fearful the heat might not work either- if they even have heat! Overall, I WOULD NOT recommend The Glen to any future bride.

Sent on 08/25/2016