Sonia · Married on 09/22/2019
Beautiful, Affordable, Ceremony Space
When I reached out to this venue I got a response almost immediately - the person who gave the tour was nice and accommodating and the amenities required for our ceremony exceeded out expectations.Sent on 12/19/2018
Jo Ann · Married on 10/21/2017
I organized a church event at the Astor Hotel working through Brit Grosenick, Director of Events. We were unsure of the number of attendees and of course working on a tight church budget. Brit helped us design a fantastic event in the grand spaces and as our RSVPs rose to 500, she worked with us to make sure everyone would be comfortable. Her team on day of was very professional and hustled to accommodate the large crowd. The food from the new menu was good - we had both hot and cold appetizers including lots of gluten free options. She also worked with us to concoct a signature cocktail which was a hit. We were very satisfied with the Astor and would return again.Sent on 05/05/2017
User2133292 · 2+ years ago
I loved this venue the moment I walked in. I love the old charm. Food was great. Worked well with guest allegies. Great dance area. Just make sure you get a good understanding of their drink deals.Sent on 08/06/2015
Lori · Married on 08/15/2010
We got married in the grand ballroom at The Astor and it was a beautiful, elegant location. The staff is wonderful. Rebecca was great as was our bartender TJ who we went back to the Astor and partied with after we left our reception. Also spent 2 nights in the hotel and plan on returning every year for our anniversary. For us, it was the perfect place for a wedding, wish we would have had our reception there also.Sent on 03/22/2011
Karen · Married on 08/31/2008
The Astor Hotel in Milwaukee is AMAZING for ceremonies and/or receptions. It looks like the Pfister, with ivory and gold trim and elegant chandeliers, but is much less expensive. I was married on a Sunday and saved SO much money. It was not only the most beautiful place in Milwaukee, but there were three rooms total I could use. It is a convenient location with ample parking for free and just minutes from the lake. The biggest upside were the windows. Most banquet halls are ugly with no outside light. The Astor has big beautiful windows and mirrors, making the sunlight hit every angle of the room.Sent on 11/13/2008
I would recommend this location for anyone getting married in Milwaukee on a budget but still wants something amazing. The food was outstanding. All we got from our guests were compliments about the food and service. The Astor Hotel really outdid themselves and I was so thankful to have found them.
Veronica · Married on 05/29/2017
Our experience having our wedding at the Astor was great. We worked with Brit Grosenick, who was responsive and a pleasure to work with. She spent lots of time with us over multiple meetings and was quick to offer suggestions and put our minds at ease. Email responses were fast. There were some misses along the way, but we suspect some of that always happens with weddings. The biggest problem was that ballroom AC was not functioning on our wedding day, causing guests to filter out of the ballroom just as our band was getting started. Also, the salad did not come out as we had printed it on our menus. However, generally, the misses were made up for by extras that Brit offered us. The ballroom is glamorous, and the spaces offered in addition to the ballroom (a lounge and a bar/restaurant) made for a spacious and comfortable environment for whatever guests wanted to do. Note that this review is only for Astor events, and does not include the hotel. Also, my rating for value may not be accurate, as the price we paid was based on their old pricing structure which I believe has been revised.Sent on 06/12/2017
I would definitely recommend the Astor to others planning a wedding!
Kristin · Married on 08/09/2008
The Astor Hotel was a wonderful venue for the reception. The Grand Ballroom was gorgeous and all of the guests told me how beautiful the room was. The whole building fit well with our classic Milwaukee style wedding. Cecilia, our contact at the Astor, was great to work with. She was always available to answer our questions, and we had a lot of them. She made everything very easy for us, especially since we were also planning the wedding from a different state. She was able to work with us to make sure everything went off without a hitch.Sent on 11/17/2008
The food choices were great as well. We were able to offer our guests two options for dinner, both of which were delicious. The wait staff was very attentive and were great to work with.
There was also plenty of room for all of the guests to stay at the hotel, which was very convenient since a majority of our guests were from out of town. It made for such a nice weekend to have all of our family and friends at the same place.
Overall, it was a wonderful location and they definitely made the reception the best part of the day!
Jenna · Married on 12/01/2012
All of our guests loved the Astor Hotel as our reception site. The ballroom is stunning and perfectly fit our "classy elegant" theme of our wedding. The food was outstanding, and the servers and staff were the nicest people. Guests loved the appetizers during the cocktail hour and were impressed with the space in the bar area and rotunda room. With no room minimums, we were able to save a good deal of money. The only negative thing was that the hotel room walls are paper thin and the temperature was a bit stuffy in the rooms. I would definitely recommend the Astor to other couples.Sent on 12/04/2012
Emily · Married on 12/30/2011
The Astor is a gorgeous, old hotel and it made our reception absolutely beautiful. We were able to decorate the tables days in advance so we had nothing to worry about by the time our day came around. Without question it is a fabulous value for downtown Milwaukee. The food was also incredibly delicious!Sent on 01/24/2012
Carol · Married on 07/07/2012
• Food was great and servers attentive. Guests LOVED the appetizers. Duet meal of stuffed chicken roulade and NY strip au poivre was delicious and served hot. Chicken fingers for kids were huge, with plenty of catsup for French fries.Sent on 01/29/2013
• Astor has standard ways/timing, which should have been communicated. MOB sent extensive schedules, menus, and instructions via emails to Dave but they were generally ignored until the week of the wedding. She requested a meeting with our day-of coordinator and Dave 1 month before wedding, but he didn’t show up/explain. Saw “Orion” and were able to discuss our set up. If we had known Orion was the banquet manager, we could have covered more.
• Cake timing was my biggest issue. We decided to cut it before the meal as we wanted it served as the 3rd course. Entrée was done and we were waiting for the cake, when servers started clearing off napkins etc. The cake was still sitting out, not being cut, so I had to go ask about it. Even then it took a while and they wanted to put it out in back instead of serving it.
• We didn’t know that our guests would have to go to the main bar for social hour drinks. We thought they’d be served in cocktail area. We were paying for certain beers, wines, and all soda, but there was only a small sign on the beer dispenser so most of our guest didn’t know this until MOB started going around to tell them. And we don’t think there was a sign on the ballroom bar, even though Dave told MOB there was.
• We went to taste the house wines before the wedding. Staff acted surprised/insulted when we asked for a different red wine. Unfortunately, the merlot cost us $8/bottle more so we didn’t provide it for everyone. I now regret that decision as I’ve received many comments about the crappy house red.
• Staff was a little quick removing glasses. Just because no one is sitting at a table, doesn’t mean it has been vacated. Also, clearing flowers, votive etc before reception is done.
Lindsay · Married on 03/09/2013
Our overall experience with the Astor Hotel was a positive one. It was great having the reception at the hotel so our friends and family could all stay the night, and we all enjoyed catching up at the free hotel breakfast the next morning. Our venue looked amazing and the hotel has a wonderful historic charm to it. One complaint I have is that the events manager isn't very timely about responding back to phone calls or emails. Also, they booked the restaurant adjacent to the banquet hall for a separate event the night of our wedding and we had issues with restaurant guests crashing our reception and taking our wedding favors on their way out.Sent on 03/28/2013