35 Reviews for Diana's Couture and Bridal

Replicas (1)
Formal Gowns (1)
35 Diana's Couture and Bridal Reviews

4.7

I had a great experience getting my Christos dress tailored by Diana. She made it shorter for me, adjusted the shoulders, and made me a veil, and then came up with the great idea of cutting away some of the lining from the back to let the beautiful lace on the dress show more. Just like everyone in the reviews recommended, I trusted her ideas and the end result was perfect. I only wish it had been a little less expensive, but I guess that's what you get with such a stellar tailor.

Profile Picture Hannah, 11/11/17, 7 Reviews
Services Used: Alterations, Veils

Diana is an amazing designer and tailor. It was such a treat to work with her. She has good ideas, works quickly, and is very flexible when setting up fittings. I loved my dress and the fit was perfect!

Profile Picture Paula, 10/21/17, 9 Reviews
Category: Dress & Attire

Diana saved my wedding! I had gotten my dress altered at Le Reve, picked it up the weekend before my wedding and the bustle was dragging everywhere and I couldn't walk well not to mention dance. The original shop did not reply to me until four days later (3 days before my wedding) so in the interum time I panicked and contacted Diana, who agreed to see me that night after hours. She had me come to her home studio in Virginia, and quoted me a very fair price for a bustle that successfully got the dress most of the way off the floor so I was able to move around. She is very responsive by phone - answers it immediately. The one small thing is that because she is so accomodating and does all these last minute fixes for people shes got a lot to coordinate. She forgot to bring my dress to the DC location to pick up so I had to go to Virginia later that night. I'd just suggest calling and reminding her before appointmetns etc, since she has two locations to make sure your dress ends up where it should be and when. But she really did a great job with limited time - and she even danced with me so I could see if the bustle worked - I really enjoyed working with her!

Profile Picture Kelly, 9/17/16, 9 Reviews
Services Used: Alterations

Diana was fantastic to work with. My dress looks fantastic, she listened to what I needed altered (hemmed, bustle, and have the shoulders taken up a little) and was fun to work with. Highly recommend! Only downside is that she is cash only. Not a big deal, but I did have to go find an ATM because I didn't know in advance.

Profile Picture Allison, 8/21/16, 6 Reviews
Services Used: Alterations, Formal Gowns
4.7

Diana made my wedding dress based on something I had seen at a very expensive boutique. I was so nervous, but she got it just right. The dress looked so beautiful, and everyone said it was one of the prettiest dresses they had seen. The material flowed perfectly, and though it took a few visits, the dress ended up looking nicer than the more expensive one.

Profile Picture Miriam, 7/21/16, 4 Reviews
Services Used: Replicas, Veils, Alterations

Miracle worker! Diana is an absolute miracle worker! I purchased my gown from Kleinfelds and after a very difficult time with Kleinfelds trying to make an appointment to have it altered in NY I decided to have them send it to me and they recommended her.

My gown was 9 inches to big and falling off of my body. It was an all lace, trumpet gown with 3/4 length sleeves and a sheer lace back. She literally had to operate on my gown taking the ENTIRE gown apart and put it back together. My first fitting was so sad and not the bridal experience I wanted but when we asked if she could fix the mess that was my gown, with confidence she said "yes!".
After only one fitting it was perfect and stunning and fit like a glove! She fit my appointments in as I live in NC when I was in town and was extremely polite and had a great demeanor.

Diana saved my gown and my wedding and I can't even begin to say enough! I would send any gown or garment to her to fix! She also sings and cooks :) And all around talented lady who is a dress miracle worker!

Profile Picture User1144418, 2+ years ago, 9 Reviews
Category: Dress & Attire

A true expert at what she does! I had bought a dress out of town and was so nervous about taking it just anywhere to get altered. Considering she makes dresses I felt like she would be safe. My dress was a trumpet style with corset through the middle and needed certain parts let out a little and others taken in since I was between 3 sizes. She was a perfectionist about tailoring it correctly and new exactly what it needed (a relief to me being type A personality). It turned out perfect and my bustle stayed attached all day. Diana was very flexible with scheduling appointments. I met her in her basement of her home in Annandale, which was closer to me than her DC shop. Very sweet lady, highly recommended!

Profile Picture Katie, 5/2/15, 4 Reviews
Category: Unique Services (Other)

I can't say enough nice things about Diana. I made the mistake of ordering my dress a year before the wedding (it was the only chance I had to shop with my mom) and, despite not planning on it, ended up losing a substantial amount of weight. I brought my sad, huge dress to Diana, and she took it in about 4 sizes. It looked better at the end than it did when I fit the size that I ordered!

Diana gave me a quote on my first visit to her and while it was high, I knew it was going to be a big job. She also met with me several times to get the sizing right. I believe I saw her a total of 5 or 6 times, including once two days before my wedding after I got the dress steamed and some of the ruching had come undone. I emailed her in a panic at 8 pm, and she got back to me 20 minutes later saying to come to her place in Virginia at 10 the next morning. She fixed it right then and there while it was on my body and it was perfect. Despite the ridiculous number of fittings I needed, the quoted price was the final cost.

She is so sweet and patient and very encouraging. She is definitely worth the money! If you go to her shop in Georgetown, stop by the restaurant downstairs (Simply Banh Mi), which is run by her children, and have some delicious, healthful food!

Profile Picture Norah, 4/18/15, 9 Reviews
Category: Dress & Attire

Oh, where to begin. I found a gorgeous Oscar de la Renta gown at a sample room in NYC and fell head over heels for the lace and floral appliques. However, the top of the gown was much more covered than I wanted it to be (we were having a beach wedding) so I knew I needed to find the best alterations woman in town to help me open it up, but keep the beauty and intention of Oscar's original design. After scouring the web, I met with Diana.

Diana knew it would be a big job due to the delicate material and the reconstruction that was needed. So yes, it was pricey as far as alterations are considered, but Diana more than earned the cost I paid. She had me in for probably 5-6 fittings, and worked tirelessly until she had achieved my vision and the fit I had wanted. It took a lot of trust, but believe me, the end result was amazing and was the most commented-on part of the wedding. In the end, it truly was an Oscar de la Diana.

I noticed some of the reviews comment on Diana's workspace, and while her Georgetown store is very small and congested at times, this is because she is so busy and she takes her work back and forth to her other shop which is in her home in Annandale, VA. For only 15-20 more minutes in the car, her Annandale location is much more comfortable, and I ended up doing the majority of my fittings there. You don't hire Diana for a bridal salon type atmosphere, you hire her because she's the best in the business. I never could have trusted a standard alterations person at a bridal salon to do the work she did.

My original dress design:

And the "after" pictures:

Profile Picture Kayleigh, 3/21/15, 6 Reviews
4.1

I gave Diana a picture of a designer silk chiffon strapless dress and asked her to re-create the dress, with sleeves. The end result was gorgeous, perfectly fit, comfortable and looked great all day (which included quite a bit of moving around in the snow). I cannot emphasize enough how nice it was that my dress was made to fit me, from start to finish. It fit like it belonged on me, and I was SO comfortable, I was not ready to take it off after about 12 hours wearing it.

Profile Picture Christina, 1/10/15, 4 Reviews
Category: Dress & Attire

Dianas was great. She took my sample sale dress that was a off the shoulder dress and changed it to the vneck that I wanted. It was amazing and I know alot of work, but she did it perfectly! She suggested a great side bustle and was really nice to work with. Klienfields in NY is how I was matched up with her and I was so happy I was. If you need anything really difficult done on your wedding gown (like changing the whole neckline) you want to go with someone great and Diana is your perfect person!

Profile Picture Kerrie, 5/31/14, 8 Reviews
3.9

Diana altered the wedding dress that I had ordered online. She did a great job with making sure that I was very happy with the final result and the dress fit perfectly on my wedding day. Her service fees are not cheap, but she basically had to re-make the entire bodice of my wedding dress since it was too large so I thought I got a fair price.

Profile Picture User3169786, 2+ years ago, 2 Reviews
Category: Dress & Attire

I worked with Diana to make a cocktail length dress for my March wedding ceremony and dinner reception. Diana is truly a master of her craft. She really knows how to fit the proportions of a dress to your individual body and I just loved the end result. There were a couple quality issues on the day of in that a few seams/stitches came loose, but nothing that some double-sided tape couldn't fix. If you're thinking about a custom dress, or just some alterations, you should meet with her. She's great. One thing, her studio is a bit messy, but don't let that scare you. :-)

Profile Picture Melissa, 3/8/14, 8 Reviews
Category: Dress & Attire

Diana designed and made my wedding dress and my sister's maid of honor dress. I was super annoying for her, I'm sure, because I know NOTHING about sewing and made a bunch of decisions up front that I didn't like when I saw them done, and we had to re-do a lot along the way. Diana always gave great advice and she didn't lose patience with me. Our dresses were STUNNING and unique and way classier than anything we could have gotten in the store. They cost a ton, but we wanted the most expensive fabrics and I would have paid about the same for a designer dress in a high-end shop that wouldn't have been customized just for me and my sister. Diana is truly talented, able to create literally anything you want and to fix problems along the way. I recommended Diana to one of my best friends who wanted to restructure her mother's wedding dress for her own wedding.

Advice for brides: LISTEN to Diana when she tries to explain things to you - she gets a sense of what you want right away, and her advice is usually sound to give you what you want. She'll follow what you THINK you want if you want to go against her advice but you will find that she was right all along! Also, give yourself plenty of time in advance so that you have lots of time for multiple, multiple fittings as you go. If you're customizing your dress, you'll need to make big and small revisions along the way and you'll need lots of time. Be patient with the process - you may not like what you see the first time you put it on. Or you might like it and when you look at the photos you took in the shop later you decide you don't like it. Whichever happens to you - DO NOT PANIC. Take lots of photos and think through what it is you don't like. Diana CAN FIX IT and it will be what you want, just breathe and keep communicating.

Profile Picture Katy, 10/18/13, 3 Reviews
Category: Dress & Attire

Diana is a true artist. She is extremely talented and cares tremendously about the products she creates, which I saw exemplified in how she works to do her best for every client, no matter how complicated their alteration or vision for a dress may be. Her shop is deceiving- it is messy, which I found disconcerting at first, but it has no bearing on the work that she will do for you- she is precise, creative, extremely experienced, honest, and daunted by no design!! I learned as I got to know her better that she is also a very compassionate and kind person. She will tell you her opinion in a very straight forward manner, but if it has to do with something related to your dress, listen to her, because her experience with fabric, design, and construction is invaluable. Diana spent quite a bit of time working with me on the construction of my wedding dress, which my mother and I designed, and a portion of which my Mother had made. Diana very kindly incorporated the part of dress my mother made into the design and took the time to consider all of my mother's effort in creating a pattern. The final product was incredible- truly a one-of-a-kind dress and something I never could have purchased.

Profile Picture L, 10/5/13, 3 Reviews
Category: Dress & Attire

Diana is amazing! She runs a small couture alteration and bridal gown service in the heart of Georgetown and actually specializes in redesigning old wedding gowns. However, I had a very specific wedding gown idea in mind and wished to use organic silk and natural fabrics where possible. I bought my own fabric and Diana worked her magic, creating my dream wedding gown and full length veil from scratch. I visited her on several occasions and she was always very willing to make even minor alterations in order for the gown to fit me perfectly. She even added matching lace on to my shoes for no additional cost :) Diana is very direct and can appear a bit bossy, but I loved her matter-of-fact way of dealing with me and her other customers and it just added more to the experience for me. I am so glad that I worked with a small, local business owner rather than a large-scale bridal company. My dress was certainly on the upper end in terms of expense, since she designed and completely handmade my dress, she even hand made every single button, but I think it was worth the cost. I am from the UK and will actually be having a second wedding celebration back in the UK in May. I recently bought a 1950's wedding gown and will be going back to Diana to have this remodeled. I would definitely recommend her to my friends

Profile Picture Helena, 9/7/13, 1 Review
2.8

I was very excited to have my consultation appointment at Diana's. For starters I was coming from out of town, as I had lived in the Washington D.C. area for 4 years, and have since relocated. I had emailed Diana's, receiving a prompt email back and was given an appointment. I was very late due to the considerable traffic in the Georgetown area, and the construction. Diana was very nice about it, and although she had a previous appointment, she was still able to spend an hour with me. She was very nice and personable, but I thought she was super expensive for what I wanted (a custom-made dress for my destination wedding). In addition, it was very difficult to find her store (as it is located in a basement area of a brick brownstone that she owns). I was also taken aback by the considerable clutter in her showroom, and her work area was in disarray. Here are some of my issues that I had with Diana’s:
1.Cleanliness of the showroom (considerable clutter everywhere, and fabric in disarray).
2.The method of payment (Diana’s only takes Personal Check or Cash). This is a concern of mine, as although her work does look above average and of quality: What if there is a problem with your dress? And all deposits made are NON-REFUNDABLE.
3.The expense of the dress. Since I am getting married overseas (Caribbean), I was urged to choose a higher quality silk fabric and I also wanted a little bit of Lace as well (she was willing to look at some pictures that I had and offered great feedback). This would have been a custom-made dress, and since I am a little above average in Height, and I am very small, I wanted a custom-made dress that would fit perfect.
However, the price she suggested would be over $3,500.00! I thought this was considerably high, especially as it was not articulated what the price range would be (for a custom-made dress) and the total was not itemized. And, although I have high taste and love quality, I am only wearing my dress for a few hours, and it will be HOT! I do think the prices are HIGH due to the location (Georgetown). I am still perplexed as to why a bride would pay such an exorbitant amount for a dress (even if a bride has the money, I think that price is too HIGH).

Lastly, although Diana was willing to work with me (payment arrangement), I was utterly disappointed by the overall experience. I did send an email, thanking her for her time, but have not heard back as of yet.

View Vendor Response
Profile Picture Sarita, 6/22/13, 1 Review
Category: Dress & Attire

Diana is amazing. I couldn't find a dress that had the material and shape I wanted, so I ended up buying a dress that had an amazing top in organza. Unfortunately, the bottom of the dress was way to big for my small size 0 frame. Diana was able to create the exact fitted look I wanted and basically remade the entire bottom of my dress. I don't know how she did it, but the results were amazing!! If you can't find exactly what you are looking for, give Diana a call!

Profile Picture User2861114, 2+ years ago, 5 Reviews
1.0

I looked online for reviews of diana. She had such great reviews so i decided to visit her shop. I needed my wedding dress altered. When i got there she seemed in a bad mood and she did not know how to fix my dress. Overall she was charging me $650 + tax for alterations plus an extra $100 for pressing. Overall i was very disatisfied with her customer service and prices!

Profile Picture Maria, 2/16/13, 1 Review
Category: Dress & Attire

Diana is an one in a million seamstress! My wedding gown is very detailed with crystal and beads, so I was apprehensive about getting my alterations done by just anyone. I am so very happy I found Diana. She did all my alterations and made my dress look like it was made for me! My mother and I had an amazing experience. I was privileged enough to see some of the dresses she has made from scratch or using dresses from brides' grandmothers or mothers. Her work is flawless and extremely unique!! Not only is she a wonderful seamstress, but a very nice person as well. If you are in the DMV area and looking to have your wedding dress made or alterations done, look no further!

Profile Picture User2593213, 2+ years ago, 1 Review
4.2

I am a "larger" girl and had so much difficulty finding a beautiful wedding dress within my budget that didn't look like a muumuu. I also had a very specific design in mind. So I took a chance and went to Diane. She sketched a design and made some recommendations, and we agreed on a price. She even made me a deal - she will alter the dress if I lose weight, no charge. But if I gain weight, she'll charge (to help keep me on track). The dress was PERFECT and fit me like a glove. It was flattering and exactly what I wanted. If you use Diane (which I highly recommend), listen to her recommendations. she really knows what she is talking about.

Profile Picture Jamie, 4/28/12, 12 Reviews
4.7

Diana puts a lot of energy and enthusiasm into her work, and she is extremely talented. If you are looking for the typical “bridal salon” you won’t find it here, but if want your money going towards a high-quality dress and not “ambiance” then I would highly recommend Diana. I didn’t really know what I wanted for my dress when I came across Diana online. She helped me define my vision more and then sketched the perfect dress on the spot! Simple dresses can be deceivingly hard to construct, plus I picked a more expensive material, so it did end up costing more than I wanted to spend. But the final product looked even more expensive and it was worth every penny to know I really loved every aspect of my dress.

At the second fitting there was a part of the lining around the stomach area that wasn't lying exactly right (and any imperfection would be impossible to hide on my dress). When I went to pick it up the next day I didn't have a chance to try it on again, so I was little nervous (she did tell me I could bring it back for a quick fix if I noticed anything). Luckily when I put it on at home it looked amazing and it fit perfectly!

Diana has a great eye for design, in addition to being a crazy good seamstress. When I came for the first fitting she had added a little decorative piece of fabric at the hip and it was the perfect touch! She knows how to take a “regular” dress and make it a designer piece. EVERYONE raved about my dress, and it was pretty cool to know it was one of a kind. Diana suggested I come back after the wedding and she would modify the dress so I could wear it as a regular cocktail dress. I know she would do a great job so I just have to find the time!

Profile Picture Jamie, 9/10/11, 5 Reviews
Category: Dress & Attire

Diana is great! I bought my dress at a sample sale and although it fit, I thought it needed a few different alternations to make it perfect. She changed the straps, the entire bottom of the dress (including hemming, removing the train and taking out poofiness) and also changed the design of the back. In addition she was very patient with me as I needed the dress taken in just a few days before my wedding. I couldn't have been happier with the results and got SO many compliments on the dress on my wedding day. It was perfect!

Profile Picture Maura, 7/2/11, 6 Reviews
Category: Dress & Attire

Diane altered my off the rack dress. She did a beautiful job; added a bustle that looked like a dream. She was responsive to my needs and could have done a better job on the dress. A little expensive, but worth it.

Profile Picture Laurie, 12/18/10, 7 Reviews
Category: Dress & Attire

Diana made the dress of my dreams from scratch. I showed up with some thoughts in my head and a vision on paper. From there she created my silk wedding dress with beautiful rhinestones, and it fit like a glove. She truly has gifted hands. She is quick, feisty, and knows what she is talking about. Listen to her! This is definitely the route to go! I love Diana!

Profile Picture Nakeisha, 10/2/10, 5 Reviews