Fat Girl Cakes LLC

Responsiveness
Professionalism
Value
Flexibility

As a baker and cake decorator myself, it was important to me to have a beautiful cake that also tasted better than something I could make myself. Fat Girl Cakes easily met that expectation. During my initial tasting, I found her cakes to be moist and her frostings and fillings to not be overly sweet. She won me over with her red velvet, which is a true red velvet cake with a light chocolate flavor and slight red color (not the usual bright red, non-chocolatey stuff you get at some bakeries). Kristin was very easy to work with, had a wide variety of flavor options and a wide range of decorating techniques in both buttercream and fondant, so I felt like I could do just about anything I wanted with those cakes. I also found her to be very adaptable, adding a groom's cake to my order after it took me months to figure out what I wanted the groom's cake to look like. She successfully delivered the fully assembled cakes after negotiating a treacherous hilly driveway for my venue. The guests loved the cake, and even carted off an unused tier to the hotel for breakfast the next morning. She offers a fresh anniversary tier for your first anniversary as an option. We accepted this option rather than having to deal with a cake in our freezer, and we are greatly looking forward to that cake 11 months from now.

Services Used: Wedding Cake
LOCATION
Personal Residence, Fredericksburg, VA 22408
BLOG

Because dessert just can't be thin!

At the ripe old age of 12, my mom threw cookie dough at me and told me to make the Christmas cookies since she had had enough of the "sticky mess". Well, something clicked and I not only made cookies that year but I've been making them every year since. As the years progressed, my interest in baking expanded from cookies to that of bread, pies, and cakes, and I was always asked to bring a dessert to parties. After the birth of my son, I felt like I was ready to venture out there and try something new. I picked up chocolate making first, starting with molded chocolates and working my way into truffles and peanut brittle. Finally, I began decorating cakes after taking Wilton classes at my local craft store and to say I fell in love with it is an understatement! Since the completion of my Wilton courses, I have taken classes with Norman Davis (The Sweet Life), Colette Peters (Colette's Cakes), Ruth Rickey (Sweet Justice), Diane Simmons (Cake Connection), and Michaelle Stidham (Cake Connection). I am a member of ICES (International Cake Exploration Society) and attended both the National Capitol Area Cake Show and Great American Cake Show in 2009 and 2010.

I do both fondant and buttercream work, with the most popular being a buttercream cake with fondant accents. I also work with royal icing, colorflow, gelatin, modeling chocolate, and gumpaste, with the hopes of learning different techniques and mediums. I really enjoy creating and hope you will allow me to help you celebrate your wedding day!

+/- read less