Carlyle House Reviews

Carlyle House 2
Carlyle House 3

Holly Williman · Married on 10/19/2019

Amazing experience

The staff at the Carlyle House made our day perfect! They were responsive from the beginning and walked us through the process of booking. The day of, they made sure the grounds were closed to visitors, and our wedding was perfect. We were married by the blue door in the back of the garden and had a very small, intimate wedding ceremony of 15 family members.

Sent on 10/20/2019

Carlyle House's reply:

Holly - We are thrilled to hear how happy you all were with the experience at Carlyle House! We strive to provide the best customer service possible. Thank you for sharing and we wish you all the best of luck in the years ahead. Congratulations!
  • User6820723 · 2+ years ago

We had our wedding ceremony here and it was a lovely location for it! The staff are very professional and nice to work with. We had planned to have our ceremony in the garden but we had heavy rain and thankfully we were able to move it to a covered area behind the house. The ceremony was beautiful. Thank you!

Sent on 06/10/2016

Andrea · Married on 09/19/2015

We had our outdoor ceremony at the Carlyle House in mid September and the grounds were beautiful. I couldn't have asked for a better location in Old Town. When we were initially looking for ceremony sites, I was happy to hear that the Carlyle House had the terrace tented year round and we wouldn't have to pay for a rain option on site. Thankfully we didn't have to use it! But the terrace did come in handy; that's where my new husband and I snuck away immediately after the ceremony while our guests left the grounds. The Carlyle House staff (Allison, specifically) were very responsive via email during the booking process. Only downfall to the venue is that they don't provide chairs, but they lead us to a great company that did a phenomenal job with delivery/set up and take down/pick up of the chairs we ordered. It all worked out perfectly. The Carlyle House will always hold a special place in my heart.

Sent on 10/01/2015

Shelby · Married on 10/04/2014

I had my wedding ceremony, with about 50 guests at Carlyle House. It was a spectacular ceremony, the gardens behind the House are a beautiful oasis among the brick-lined streets of Old Town. We arranged chairs around the gazebo, creating an intimate feel for the ceremony. Pictures in the gazebo, in the garden, and in front of the blue doors were of additional value to us. The staff at Carlyle House were discrete and excellent. And the value, especially as a ceremony-only space, simply cannot be beat for the area. I would highly recommend it to someone looking for a space for ceremony or reception with a smaller guest list.

Sent on 10/13/2014

summer · Married on 06/28/2014

This was the PERFECT venue for our outdoor wedding! It didn't rain but they had set up the canopy just in case. The garden was perfect. The staff was very professional and helpful with everything. The won't let you toss anything unless you want to sweep it up so that was a let down but we went with bubbles. It was VERY cheap considering the area. We just did our ceremony there for $700 with a $500 sec deposit that you get back.

Sent on 07/21/2014

Susan · Married on 06/02/2012

We used the garden at the Carlyle House for the ceremony. It's a perfect setting for a smaller outdoor wedding. A big plus is the covered portico that is available at no extra charge in clase of rain.

Sent on 06/11/2012

Juliana · Married on 09/17/2011

We had our ceremony here. It was a beautiful setting, and the staff were accommodating and easy to work with. We were very pleased!

Sent on 11/13/2011

tracy · Married on 11/01/2009

We were married in the outside garden of the Carlyle House. We had a sweet and simple ceremony under the gazebo. It was beautiful. We had 0 guest just us a best man and made of honor. I did go all out on my wedding gown and he were a hansome suit. It was perfect.

Sent on 11/02/2009

David · Married on 07/15/2017

Our ceremony took place in the gazebo in the gardens in the back. We could not have asked for a more beautiful setting. Everything went off without a hitch. We highly recommend Carlyle House.

Sent on 07/22/2017

Carlyle House's reply:

Thank you very much for your great review. We're glad that all went well for your wedding. Congratulations and best wishes!
  • Hilary

Hilary · Married on 09/22/2017

We had our wedding ceremony at Carlyle House a couple of weeks ago and it was the perfect venue! We had roughly 85 guests on the back veranda, and the space worked really well for our size event (keep in mind they have a strict 100 person limit). You get exclusive use of the venue and the photo opportunities in the back garden and in front of the house are amazing!! Do remember that this is a historic house/museum run by the NOVA Park Authority so there are certain restrictions and rules to follow that private venues may not have, but the team there are very friendly and willing to work with you if they can. Overall, an amazing venue that made our wedding unforgettable!!

Carlyle House 4
    Carlyle House 5
    Carlyle House 6
    Sent on 10/10/2017

Leslie · Married on 05/04/2014

Great venue for our outdoor wedding. We even had a built in rain location on the terrace in case of rain. They don't provide any extras, just the space, but we wanted a low key wedding and it turned out perfect. And the backdrop in front of the blue door in the garden was beautiful. Many comments from guest about the look and feel of the place. The volunteers/staff who were assigned to us during our event (to keep others out of the garden) were very nice. Had a bit of a hiccup starting the wedding (forgot the wedding licence) so they were nice enough to let me hide behind the gift shop inside while we waited. Would choose this site again if I had to do it over! The contract is pretty strict about noise and outside vendors but I found they were more flexible than they first came across once we spoke a few times.

Sent on 06/25/2014

Jennifer · Married on 09/25/2010

3.0

My reception here was perfection. Roxana was easy to work with, answered all my questions, and was upfront about any costs/restrictions they had. The garden is gorgeous, and we used the gazebo as our receiving area. The terrace is not a huge space, but for our party (open-house reception, 140 guests but NOT all at once) it was perfect. You can't have any amped music here, and the lighting doesn't extend into the garden. So this worked perfectly for our quieter party, with strings of little white lights to give it a very romantic feel. It's not the place to host a huge, rockin party, but if you are looking for a gorgeous outdoor venue with a magical feel to it, you found it. Loved working with the staff too. Highly recommend.

Sent on 02/04/2011

Jordan · Married on 10/21/2017

4.2

My husband and I had an intimate outdoor ceremony in the back garden at the Carlyle House, and we were very pleased with the process overall. We had 37 guests (7 of which were our attendants), so the approximately 30 guests stood on the two brick pathways to the right and left of the center aisle, while my husband and I stood in front of the blue door. It worked out perfectly, and was exactly what we envisioned. We got to Carlyle around 2:30pm for all of our family portraits, and we are eager to see how the pictures turned out. The park was open at that time (our rental was from 4:15-6:15pm), but we had no problems and if people came into the park while we were taking pictures (there were maybe 1 or 2) they were respectful. Once the "CLOSED" signs went up during our rental period, no one who was not a guest at the wedding wandered into the park.

The staff at Carlyle house were willing to be flexible (to the extent they could be) with regard to the (minimal) decorations that we wanted to bring in, and the day-of event staff were friendly.

We would recommend Carlyle House as an affordable ceremony location in Old Town Alexandria.

Sent on 10/26/2017
  • Rebeccah

Rebeccah · Married on 06/08/2013

3.0

The Carlyle House was a beautiful wedding venue! We had a ceremony with about 75 guests on the front lawn. I am ultimately very pleased with my wedding ceremony and am glad it was at the Carlyle House. Everyone I worked with throughout the booking process was very kind although slightly difficult to get in touch with. The biggest hiccup was then the wedding coordinator went on maternity leave. I was not notified or given a new point of contact at the Carlyle House which made planning difficult.

While a beautiful venue, the Carlyle House is a very finicky venue. They are very strict about all stipulations in the contract which had more implications than I first realized. For example, you only have the Carlyle House for 2 hours. None of your things (flowers, chairs, etc.) can be there before your time and must be gone by then end of two hours. I had to pay additional fees with some of my vendors to secure such a quick turn around time. Also, the Carlyle House is serious about no amplified sound. This was generally fine, however I really wish our officiant could have used a microphone because with the street traffic the ceremony could be hard to hear.

Sent on 06/19/2013

l · Married on 09/20/2013

3.8
      2.5
      3.0

Carlyle House is a beautiful setting. However, it was rather expensive as the fee only provides the space. We had to bring in everything (from the dance floor, tables, chairs for both the ceremony and reception). any bar service had to be contracted through them which turned out okay because the 2 bartenders were great! They also have a very strict no DJ, no amplifier, no microphone policy. That being said, the staff was wonderful to work with and were very friendly and nice. It was a difficult venue to work with, but the people were by and large nice.

Sent on 09/27/2013
  • MLS716

Michelle · Married on 10/07/2011

2.6
      2.0

Roxana was extremely unresponsive to emails after we gave our initial deposit. Up until then, she was friendly and accommodating. I thought nothing of it as I've experienced unresponsive vendors in the past and went through other avenues to get answers to my questions.

On my wedding day, Roxana was very rude and disrespectful to me and my guests.

She also told some of my guests that they would not be allowed to use the bathroom while tours going in progress. Really?

The garden itself was a beautiful setting and if it hadn't been for my experience with Roxana, I would give this venue a higher rating. She was terrible to deal with and her behavior on my wedding day was inexcusable and unwarranted.

The other staff members were very nice.

Sent on 10/11/2011

Carlyle House's reply:

On behalf of Carlyle House, I would like to apologize for the negative experience you had. Based on your feedback, we have worked with Roxana to correct the behavior. We appreciate your positive review of the other staff. From now on the other staff will be playing a bigger role in the management of rentals and we don't anticipate any problems going forward. Thank you for your valuable feedback.

1.0

We had a beautiful wedding at the Carlyle House, despite the staff and volunteers.

The gardens are lovely and made a beautiful backdrop to our outdoor wedding.

However...
    Mind you, we had a contract to use the space until 6:00 p.m.

Our wedding was to take place at 5:00. At 4:00 we were in the gardens for our first look and family photos. In the middle of family photos, a volunteer of the house disrupted the occasion to demand that we were off the land by 5:30 because she had a personal commitment. She spoke harshly to our families and vendors and the groom had to stop taking photos to discuss the issue with the manager and volunteer; coming to no conclusion. I've since heard that the volunteer also stopped our guests as they entered the space to tell them they had to be gone by 5:30. With a contract stating we had paid to use the space until 6, this should not have been an issue at all. It was handled unprofessionally, disrupted and caused stressed for all involved an hour before the ceremony, and set quite an unwelcoming tone for our guests.

We had other issues with the staff late in the planning process due to lack of communication and ability to accommodate. They made changes to the terrace without notification (we learned through a 3rd party) and were unwilling to assist us in resolving our concerns without major fees. As a result, the week of the wedding, we moved the ceremony location to the gazebo and had to spend additional funds to correct the issue (and lose money spent on our original plans). On the day of, the manager told the groom that having now seen the space, she understood why we were unhappy with the changes they had made (to little too late) but did nothing else to resolve the poor service we received.

Again, in the end, everything was fine and looked just lovely; but if you're looking for a venue that is helpful, accommodating, and stress free...this isn't it.

Sent on 06/29/2014

meghan · Married on 09/14/2013

2.5
      0.0
      1.0

We had our wedding ceremony on the back patio of the Carlyle House and it was gorgeous, but the planning was painful. Spring-early Nov the patio is covered by an old, stained, rusty tent that makes a beautiful space look run down, dark, & crummy. My husband, his parents, & I went to visit the venue and spoke w 2 people a year before the wedding. We asked if the tent could be taken down for our ceremony. Both people said yes and we booked the space. I went over there 6 weeks before our wedding to confirm details. Confirming that the tent would come down, they said no. I spoke directly with the woman with whom we had the initial conversation. She said we never had the conversation & she never would have agreed to that. On top of taking back a promise they previously made, they also implied that my husband, and his parents, and I were all either lying or all 4 of us completely misunderstood what happened. I told them I'd paid to take down the tent. They said no & offered to refund my money. At 6 weeks to our wedding, that wouldn’t work. I called the director of the Carlyle House. She did not return my phone call, but rather had another person return the call the following day. Again they offered no solutions, no apologies, nothing. I asked how much a new tent would cost to see if just buying a new tent would be a better option. They said no to that. Later another woman mentioned that a bride had paid to have the tent draped. 4 weeks before our wedding we determined that at a cost of $1800 we needed to drape the dilapidated tent that we had previously been told would be removed. We confirmed we'd be able to wait for the ceremony to begin in the foyer of the house. On the day of, we were told we weren't allowed to wait in the foyer of the house. My wedding planner resolved that. The ceremony rental is 2 hours, so I had to pay extra to have our vendors work within the timeframe. Everything was difficult, but it was beautiful.

Sent on 10/11/2013