Warrenton, VA 20186 Map · Phone number

About Jud McCrehin Photography

Hello my name is Jud McCrehin. I'm an award-winning professional photojournalist and have been for over 18 years. I started working as a professional photographer in 1992 at a newspaper in a little town in Montana. I was the only photographer and was responsible for shooting every single image in the newspaper everyday. Today, I work as a photo editor for USA TODAY and am responsible for images in the news section and page 1. As a photo editor at the nation's largest newspaper I see thousands and thousands of images daily.

I use my experiences as a photographer and photo editor to produce unique, creative and storytelling images of weddings around the country and world. I shoot a limited number of weddings each year so I don't develop a formula and become a cookie cutter photographer. I want each wedding to show the character of its bride, groom, guests and venue.

I use state of the art cameras, lenses, lights, remotes etc. to create images. I use redundant systems so your wedding coverage will not be affected by equipment malfunctions.

My goal is to document and to not interfere with your wedding. As a photojournalist that is what I've been doing for years across the world.

I invite you to look at my work and ask as many questions as you want. It is going to be the biggest day in your life so please be sure you've got the right shooter.

img9721

30 Reviews for Jud McCrehin Photography

• Amanda

Amanda · Married on 10/06/2018

Highly Recommend Jud!

Our wedding was the best day of our lives, and thanks to Jud we have amazing photographs that completely capture the love and joy we felt on that day. I can't recommend him enough. My husband and I were looking for something very specific - real photos that captured the real feelings and real moments of our wedding day. Sure we wanted some posed pictures and portraits but the pictures we wanted most (and the ones that Jud delivered that blew us away) were the candids. We interviewed half a dozen photographers and none of them put us at ease the way that Jud did - I realized as soon as I talked with him that he was the only person I completely trusted to capture our most important day.

Now back to our actual wedding day (and the days leading up to it). Jud was super responsive and professional in all of his communications leading up to the wedding. About a week or 2 before the big day I sent Jud a detailed schedule for the day, as well as our Must Have photo list. On our wedding day Jud arrived at our venue early to get the lay of the land and than started taking our getting ready pictures right on schedule. It was clear that he had spent time studying our must have photos list because he wasn't flipping through the list at all in the moment but remembered exactly what I wanted for the getting ready, first look, and family photos that we did before the ceremony. During the more posed portrait-style shots Jud gave suggestions based on lighting/background and was also very open to on the spot requests from us. My husband was kind of dreading this part of the wedding day because he hates standing and taking photos but it literally flew by and Jud made it so incredibly easy. Once the ceremony started I honestly don't even remember seeing Jud for the rest of the day (except for one brief post-ceremony photo shoot we had planned in advance!) - he was completely in the background just taking the most incredible pictures you could imagine :)

There is one memory that stands out from the day that I think captures Jud's style. We originally planned to sneak off after dinner to do a quick sunset photo. However our wedding day was super cloudy, so alas, no sunset. Jud came up to us at the end of dinner to remind us that this photo request had been on my must have list and since the sun wasn't cooperating he had another idea for a silohuette photo in a little red barn that was on the property. We thought it sounded cool and asked if we could wait until right after dessert. Jud said no problem. Well dessert came and went and then my husband and I forgot all about it and finally sat down to have some us time. We were taking it all in, talking and laughing, and before I knew it, it was time for the father/daughter dance. Jud read the room and didn't pull us away to go take a picture that probably would have been cool, but wasn't going to make or break our wedding day. Now that our big day has come and gone, I can't tell you enough how valuable that is...the day goes by even faster than everyone says it does, so I'm so grateful that Jud let us enjoy being married and captured the real moments of our day instead of pulling us away to stage "cool pictures."

We received all of our digital photos as soon as we returned from our honeymoon a little over two weeks later...and they were even better than we even imagined they could be. Amazing pictures that tell the story of our wedding day. If you are looking for a photojournalistic style, look no further - Jud is 100% your guy!

Sent on 11/12/2018

Lauren · Married on 06/25/2016

My husband Ryan and I live in Washington State but decided to have a June wedding in Warrenton, Virginia, the town where we met and Ryan grew up. While we were familiar with Warrenton, neither of us had lived there in nearly a decade and we had no connections with people in the wedding industry.

From our home in Washington, Ryan and I scoured the Internet for wedding photographers throughout the Northern Virginia area. We looked everywhere. If we found photography that we loved, the price was outside our budget. If we found something within our budget, we often didn’t like the style or quality. Finally, we stumbled on Jud’s website. I was immediately struck by his photojournalist style. His work looks real and full of emotion. Rather than everyone posed in awkwardly forced stances, you could easily imagine the moment. I also liked that he wasn’t just a wedding photographer. Of all the photography websites we looked at, Ryan and I both agreed that Jud’s was our favorite.

That afternoon we contacted Jud to learn of his price and availability. We promptly heard back via email, and we were thrilled to learn that his rate was affordable and that he’d be free on our wedding date. A couple days later, Ryan spoke to Jud on the phone and reported back that he was friendly and easy-going. We arranged to do an engagement shoot on New Years Eve 2016. The engagement session went well and we loved the pictures. Most importantly, we enjoyed his company.

On our wedding day, Jud arrived early and with an ease of presence. When I look back on our wedding photos now, I’m just amazed at some of the shoots he was able to get. There were times when I didn’t realize my photo was being taken, but other times when I clearly remember something like Jud making a funny joke. He was there but his presence was comfortable and not at all overbearing.

With all sincerity, I would recommend Jud to anyone. He is kind, reasonable, reliable, and a talented photographer.

Sent on 01/08/2017

My husband and I were looking for a photo journalist style photographer and happened to come across Jud McCrehin Photography.

We could not be more pleased with hiring him for our wedding. Jud was quick to respond to emails and questions and extremely fast with the turnaround time for providing us with the photographs!

What made him stand out from other photographers from us (aside from his talent) is that he provided us with discounted prints and had a traveling photo booth which was a standing camera with a control for guests to take their own photos during our reception which made for a lot of fun!

The photographs turned out better than we could have ever imagined! Along with Jud's talent as a photographer he's also very down to earth, easy to work with, pleasant, and professional!

Sent on 12/03/2015