Amber Wilkie Photography

Responsiveness
Professionalism
Value
Flexibility

Amazing experience with Amber! I love the photojournalistic style for event photography because I think you get the genuine smiles, the fun, the little things that are missed with everyone smiling and posing on cue. And that's just what we received with Amber! We had a couple of posing shots (which we had requested), but they were fun and relaxed - and fast!

Her and her wonderful assistant were both so friendly and kept us at ease that even my camera shy husband was relaxed and comfortable! Absolutely everyone loves the results, too, which came quickly (about a week and a half). The photos were as amazing as expected, but also helped capture moments that I had missed as the bride swept up in all the wedding stuff!

The whole process was easy and fuss-free for us - even if you're like me, and don't know the first thing about weddings, you can feel comfortable that she's going to offer you the very best experience you can hope for.

1 Review
Recently Married

Amber is a fantastic photographer! If you are a prospective client - hire her!

We came across Amber's work somewhere on the internet and immediately fell in love with her images. She was the first person we knew we wanted to hire for our wedding. Our experience with her was great. She strikes a great balance between being a professional who takes the job seriously but is also down to earth and fun. We really appreciated that she had her stuff in order pre-wedding. She let us know what was included, when we should expect to hear from her, what info she needed from us, etc. She was also very organized with our wedding information, was responsive to emails and did not ask the same questions multiple times (which happened more than I expected with other vendors and left us feeling nervous). At one point my husband and I actually said we hoped everyone had their stuff together like Amber and actually went back to her and asked her for a vendor recommendation.

Day of she was super fun and just went with our flow. You spend so much time with your photographer that this makes a huge difference. The best part - we are so happy with our pictures! She captured the moment and how much fun we had. The images look "real" in the best way (not sure how else to describe it, but everything looks great and super genuine). Would highly recommend!

1+ year ago

Amber is an absolutely amazing photographer! She's also a fantastic person, so I thoroughly enjoyed having her around on my wedding day. I'm fairly shy and don't like a lot of attention, but Amber made me feel comfortable and knew what poses to suggest that would translate perfectly on film. Our wedding photos are absolutely phenomenal -- truly, they are better than I was expecting. Amber provided our entire wedding gallery barely 3 weeks after our event -- incredibly quick service and unbelievable quality.

Amber is amazing!

Her photos are absolutely incredible and she is a pleasure to work with. Her eye and skills with a camera are top notch, but more than that her attitude is perfect for people like us who are a little camera shy. She made us feel comfortable and relaxed during the few posed shots, and captured amazing candid moments throughout our wedding and reception. Julia, her second shooter, was also fantastic.

Overall we could not be happier with the photos and our experience having Amber as our wedding and engagement photographer.

Services Used: Photography

Amber is the best. When looking at portfolios online, my husband and I were both independently drawn to her style and uncanny ability to capture moments and emotions. More than just stylized shots of decorations and shoes and rings (though she’s great at those!) Amber was able to capture the emotion and tone of our wedding day perfectly. The look on my husband’s face when he’s saying his vows, guests getting down and dirty dancing, quiet moments between the two of us surrounded by our friends and family, I get a smile every time I look through our album remembering how loving and fun the whole day was. Her package, with one price for weddings, no time limit, with a second shooter, is also a refreshing change of pace. I never worried about what time she should arrive or had to adjust our timeline to accommodate a specific number of hours we had. Amber also took amazing engagement photos for us, and I can’t wait to keep having her capture special moments throughout our lives.

Yuliya
11/09/2013

Amber Wilke was the perfect match for what my husband and I sought in a wedding photographer. A true professional, Amber managed to tell the story of our wedding through her images in a beautiful and authentic way. Her approach had a photo-journalistic quality, as opposed to some photographers who seem to be forcing a moment that does not exist. She was easy to work with and was always attentive. I have been to a number of weddings after my own and can easily say I would still pick Amber over every photographer I have met since then. If you want to have a guaranteed great experience and photos from your wedding day do not hesitate to hire Amber. We would love to work with Amber again in the future, a family documentary perhaps?

Sara
08/06/2013

Amber takes awesome pictures and knows exactly what shot to take. She put us at ease the entire time and managed to always be everywhere all at once to capture that shot but you never knew she was there. Ninja like. I cannot recommend Amber highly enough. Now comes the hard part of having to choose only 20 to go into the book.. so far we have it down to 50... but that final 30 are going to be hard to cull!

Services Used: Photography

We loved working with Amber! A lot of photographers in DC have what I would call diva complex & Amber does not-she's very down-to-earth, practical and fun to hang out with to boot! We definitely picked her first & foremost because we loved her style - modern & crisp – and her eye – which captures beautiful moments. She's really calm & totally set us at ease when we did the engagement shoot, so things were really comfortable on the wedding day. A 2nd shooter (she was spectacular, too!) and unlimited time came standard with her package, which is a tremendous offering in my opinion. She excels at making your guests look superb as well – natural & fun – so you have beautiful candid shots of all the people in your life that you love and are never in the same place! Obviously, we highly recommend Amber. ~Heidi & Jason

1+ year ago

I thought that finding a photographer was going to be the toughest decision we had to make as an engaged couple, but Amber made it the easiest and most fun vendor to work with! On our "must-have list," we wanted 2 photographers that we could have pretty much all day for a flat price. That narrowed down the list really quick! I followed her blog for awhile, and then we made an appointment to meet her. Her photographs sell themselves. She helped us through the planning process and the wedding day was a breeze. It was a lot of fun to have her and Julia hang with us for the day. She gave us some teaser photos right after our wedding, we had all of our photos within a month and our album by the end of the summer. Her customer service is out of this world. She doesn't "doctor" any of her shots...they are just that amazing. I have nothing but nice things to say about Amber!

Anonymous
2+ years ago

Amber was the only photographer we met with and we absolutely made the right decision in having her be a part of our wedding! She is a great person to work with, super down-to-earth and friendly. She directs you the perfect amount while taking portraits and makes everyone feel comfortable. Amber's wedding package includes everything you need, and she doesn't have an hourly limit. We had asked her to stay until 10pm, but she stayed the extra half an hour til the last dance of the evening, and I'm so glad she did since I got photos of my dad and I dancing that I wouldn't have had otherwise (no official father/daughter dance!). We received our photos very quickly, and couldn't be happier with how they turned out. We can't wait to work with her to order some albums!

Services Used: Photography

Lemmie just tell you what a doll Amber is. This gal rocks. She was on time, assertive and guided every shot. From day 1 she was responsive and our pictures came promptly following the wedding. Everything was so beautiful I can't wait to print them! Highly recommended!

Services Used: Photography

My husband and I had Amber take “day after” shots about 5 months after our wedding when our original wedding photographer went MIA. We (well, mostly I) wanted a few professional shots to remember our wedding by. I originally found Amber as a vendor through the site, “A Practical Wedding” as I foremost valued someone reliable given my previous experience, and I trusted the integrity of vendors they feature on their site.
Amber is friendly and outgoing, and immediately put us at ease cracking jokes and climbing up in some precarious places to get just the right shot. My husband and I are kind of the opposite of Amber (e.g., not outgoing or silly) so we don’t warm to the camera immediately, but Amber was great in giving us direction and helping us to loosen up.
In just an hour and a half Amber came up with some great images that are worthy of display and that we will be able to cherish for years to come. My only regret is that we did not hire her for our original wedding. It’s true that her fee (though reasonable for the area) would not have fit into our $10,000 budget, but from hindsight it totally would have been worth it to have the photos of our big day with family and friends – those are ones we’ll never recreate.
So for all you couples getting engaged over the holidays, get in touch with Amber ASAP – you won’t regret it!

Services Used: Photography

We hired Amber to photograph our wedding in Washington, DC after we found here here on Yelp. She was great! We chose to get ready at our house with our wedding party and families, so Amber arrived just after lunch to document the event. She stayed with us throughout the afternoon, making sure to get lots of great candid shots of our family and friends. At Amber's suggestion, we decided to do a "first look" (where the groom sees the bride) outside our house before we went over to the venue, in order to give us more time to enjoy cocktail hour with our guests. We headed over to the venue early with our wedding party and families and Amber took some group shots before the ceremony. During the cocktail hour, we snuck away by ourselves with Amber for a few post-ceremony bride/groom photos. Amber was there throughout dinner and the reception and took fantastic photos that really captured the evening. Throughout the day and evening, Amber always seemed to be in the right place at the right time. We were thrilled when she sent us a preview of our photos a few weeks after the wedding -- an awesome mix of cool artsy shots with all the must-have photos of family, friends, etc. The best thing about Amber, besides delivering amazing photos, is that she is down-to-earth, not at all pretentious, and listened to what we wanted. I never felt like she was in the way or in our face at the wedding -- which is a huge pet peeve of ours with wedding photographers. Also, unlike many other photographers, she does not watermark the photos she delivers and she provides digital copies on a DVD for us to share with family and print as we please. She showed us a few samples of the wedding albums she makes. They are stunning. We plan to order one soon. Hiring Amber for our wedding was definitely money well-spent.

2+ years ago

I cannot say enough wonderful things about Amber.

First and foremost, she is a super talented photographer and her photos are consistently beautiful.

She also has a really awesome perspective on weddings and does not have a hour limit and really approaches each event with a fresh eye and commitment to awesomeness.

She also is just a joy to work with, is flexible and makes you feel comfortable instantly.

I highly recommend her for anyone looking for beautiful, artistic photos from their event/wedding and for a talented, no drama photographer!

Services Used: Photography

Amber was the absolute best wedding photographer we could have hoped for! She was super chill to work with while still being extremely professional. We literally loved every single picture she took--she captured everything we wanted, from the serious family portraits to the fun candid shots later in the evening. Some wedding photographers are constantly in guests' faces, but most of our guests looked at the pictures and didn't even know we had a photographer! She has a great artistic eye and she's fun and easy going to work with. I can't recommend her highly enough!

Services Used: Photography

Don't be skeptical of the fact that I gave 5 out of 5 on my review! We were honestly 100% satisfied with hiring Amber as our wedding photographer. She replied promptly to my initial enquiry, was first to suggest a casual meeting to talk about our plans, was extremely responsive to all my questions/concerns throughout the whole process and constantly added personal touches that were totally unexpected and made us feel like she was genuinely interested in us and capturing our day. Our photography requirements didn't fit into any of her standard packages and she did not hesitate to cater to our needs. Amber is exactly the person you imagine when you read her blog - she is an extremely easy person to get along with and spend time with which made the photo session relaxing as opposed to stressful. Finally, our photos were stunning - even better than what we expected (and we had high expectations having seen the photos on her blog!).