The Real McCoy Catering Reviews

21 | Austin, TX

21 Reviews for The Real McCoy Catering

Kathryn · Married on 10/26/2018

Excellent Caterer

We definitely recommend the Real McCoy Catering!! Chef Lavell was great throughout the entire process. He’s incredibly flexible, his prices are very competitive, and his food is amazing! Although he had never catered at our venue, and several people recommended going with someone more familiar with the venue, Chef Lavell did an excellent job of making sure the entire operation went smoothly and that the guests were well served. He took the time to understand our needs, survey the site, and was responsive to all of our adjustments leading up to the wedding. The Real McCoy's staff were all very courteous, professional, and received many compliments from our guests. The food was just as excellent at the reception as it was at the tasting. The team provided us exactly what we had asked for, and we truly cannot recommend Chef Lavell enough.

Cori · Married on 06/30/2018

We just had The Real McCoy Catering at our wedding and it was amazing! Lavell, the owner, was always accommodating and responsive whenever we had a question and his prices cannot be beat. We were even able to provide our own alcohol for their TABC servers to serve which saved a ton of money. Most importantly though, the food and service is remarkable. We did a fajita buffet and it was all SO good. Our guests loved the corn and the fajitas provided options for our gluten-free and vegetarian guests. Overall, we would definitely recommend The Real McCoy Catering to anyone in the Austin area.

Shelby · Married on 06/23/2018

Working with The Real McCoy Catering took a great deal of stress off our shoulders. Chef Lavell worked tirelessly to find a perfect menu to fit within our budget. The quality of the food was fabulous! Guests have commented repeatedly on how wonderful the food was!! When my other daughter gets married I will definitely give The Real McCoy Catering a call!!

Todd · Married on 09/03/2017

Chef Lavell and his team provided us with three meals per day for 8 days for our Leadership Team during our Hurricane Harvey Response coordination. Food was excellent and never the samething twice.

Kimberly · Married on 05/13/2017

Chef Lavell and his team were outstanding on our wedding day! In the beginning stages of planning, I was advised that finding a caterer was one of the first things I should take care of. I was completely overwhelmed and shocked at how expensive it was going to be to feed our guests! Chef Lavell eased my anxiety and created a few menus that would fit in our budget and BOY did he deliver! The food was exceptional, the service was fantastic and our guests are still raving about the dinner on our wedding day. Initially I was skeptical because his prices were too good to be true, but I didn't have another choice with as dignified of a menu as we had. All concerns I had were gone by the time of service - the food was INCREDIBLE and the staff was professional and catered to our guests needs with grace. They ensured me and my new husband had a full plate of food waiting as soon as we entered the reception and were diligent in catering to our guests needs. He kept it classy and practical - it was PERFECT for us and our guests. Thank you to The Real McCoy Catering!

Millie · Married on 08/20/2016

Fabulous job at my sons wedding reception. Delicious food! Highly recommend

Gabriella · Married on 08/20/2016

To all the newly engaged couples: My advice is to compare the package that The Real McCoy Catering offers vs another catering company. The Real McCoy, by far, had the best price/value for top tier service/food/settings. We saved thousands of dollars! Also, Chef Lavell will customize anything for you and makes everything simple. Our wedding dinner was hands down amazing!! The family style option was perfect for our guests. Tons of compliments from everyone. If you are looking for a customized dinner pallet that will stay on budget The Real McCoy is who you need to contact!

Krystle · Married on 06/19/2016

Lavell McCoy Catering was above and beyond any catering service we had hoped to have for our wedding. From our first interaction to the wedding to our last email, our experience with him was excellent. For those of you who have ever had to plan a large event like a wedding, you know how difficult it can be to decide how to choose a caterer, especially when you are starting your search online. You initially interact with people you don't know, without seeing them or tasting their food, and it can be quite a gamble! We decided to meet with Lavell based almost solely on his promptness in replies, thoroughness when he replied, and wonderful communication skills. He took my phone calls during the busy holiday season, sacrificing his precious time with his family to speak to me. He was always so polite and pleasant and ACCOMMODATING! If there was one amazing quality I had to choose for Lavell, and believe me, there are MANY, it would be his complete willingness to be accommodating to your requests. We were having a wedding that included 4 different cultures and foods, and Mr. Lavell was beyond willing to include everything we asked for. He happily accepted family recipes and special spices, handled requests for changes to his dishes without a word of complaint, and was even willing to include food from other caterers and serve it! You cannot, and believe me I tried, CANNOT find a caterer who is willing to do even one of things for you! Lavell did ALL of them! And this was all before the wedding. Even with all of our requests his price was still very affordable! The food he provided was wonderful! People are still telling us how great the food was, how wonderful it was that all the cultures were represented. We simply could not have had the wonderful wedding we had without Lavell. He truly made the whole catering experience one of the least stressful parts of the wedding planning. If we could do it again, we would find him sooner! You absolutely cannot go wrong with him!

Kimberly · Married on 06/04/2016

The Real McCoy catering did an amazing job on our wedding. He was so accommodating and worked with us to make sure the menu was exactly what we wanted and fit within our budget. We had so many complements on how great our food was. We had a stuffed chicken that was to die for. Definitely a million times better than what you normally think of when you hear wedding chicken. The service was great too. We would definitely recommend using the Real McCoy catering for your event!

Patricia · Married on 12/19/2015

As most mothers do, I looked forward to the wedding of my daughter with great anticipation. We are members of a private club which allowed us use of their ballroom for her wedding. However, having never taken on such an affair, I naturally became overwhelmed.

We participated in a few 'tastings' offered by local restaurants and caterers. After tasting so many versions of "rubber chicken" I knew we needed to find something much better! In my search for something better, I came upon a website with absolutely beautiful and artistically presented food. The photo showed a large filet mignon covered with a prawn next to fresh asparagus and a stuffed mushroom. Wow! This is more like it!
    I sent a message for more information with trepidation. Surely these photos would prove to be taken under 'artistic license' with disappointment headed in my direction. My trepidation dissolved once I spoke with and later met the very charismatic, Chef Lavell! Chef Lavell listened to my needs and produced exactly what I was seeking. Not only would Chef Lavell produce art, that art would taste like the best meal ever eaten. His attitude and professional self confidence filled me with glee.

We had 100 guests and 100 people raving about the meal enjoyed by all at the wedding. To serve that many filet mignon dinners with such grace and quality is a miracle of creation. Magically, all guests were served simultaneously to perfection. Each and every guest felt as though this magnificent meal was made just for them.
    Chef LaVell promised he would bring professionally trained wait staff and bartenders. He did not disappoint. The attire of his staff complemented the formal atmosphere of our wedding party and guests. The grace of serving our guest rivaled the finest restaurants anywhere in the world.
    If you want your guests complementing the food weeks after the affair, hire The Real McCoy! You will not find a better caterer in Texas! Chef Lavell is a rock star!

We had to find a new caterer last minute for a supper club we organized and Lavell with Real Mccoy Catering came in to save the day! He came up with an awesome menu for our event and executed it perfectly. He worked within some pretty tight budget and time constraints to create a four-course sit down meal that both looked and tasted great. All of our guest had nothing but positive things to say about the food and it even impressed a couple local food bloggers! Our event was a sit-down plated/ family style meal but I am sure Real Mccoy would be equipped to handle any type of dining. They did a great job and I can recommend them enough!

David · Married on 11/14/2015

We have had the pleasure of using The Real McCoy Catering's services in the past for smaller events, so for our wedding, we knew who to turn to.

During our first conversation with Lavell, he tried to get a feel for our wedding and budget, in which he came back with several unique dinner options spanning many different types of meals well within our budget. We ended up choosing Moroccan Grilled Kebabs, Mint Couscous, and a Yogurt sauce. I’m honestly usually not a fan of couscous or yogurt, but I took a chance based on his expertise and was rewarded by more than I can write on how delicious they were. Our guests were also pleased, by the end of the night they had all gone back for 2nd and 3rds while complimenting us on the meal.

The Real McCoy Catering gave us a wonderful meal at a very affordable price that was appreciated by all. Every bit of his work was professional, including the phone calls and meetings, the contract, the delivery and presentation. Given the chance, I would absolutely do business with him again.

Kay · Married on 10/10/2015

I cannot express how thankful I am for The Real McCoy Catering! I tried to contact over 15 other catering companies during the 2 weeks around Christmas and the New Year to get estimates for my wedding. Not only was Lavell of Real McCoy Catering one of the few caterers to pick up the phone, he was so tremedously helpful. He not only spoke with me at-length to hear my wishes and concerns, he even had a full estimate emailed to me BY THAT EVENING. DURING A HOLIDAY. Not to mention, the cost per guest was one of the most affordable I have seen!

Again, I cannot thank Lavell and Real McCoy Catering enough for being so professional and prompt! This is a winning company!

Caroline · Married on 09/19/2015

The service that Chef Lavell provided for us on our wedding day, was excellent! When first meeting him, he was very approachable and provided delicious samples of menu items of our choosing. For the cocktail hour of our wedding, we chose caprese skewers with balsamic reduction, pork adobe boats, and bacon-wrapped chicken skewers. All of these items were deliciousFor the main course we selected, a fresh spinach salad with roasted beets and butternut squash, feta cheese and served with a candieshallot vinaigrette. For the proteins we went with a chicken breast-stuffed with Monterrey Jack and spinach and topped with poblano cream sauce. This was a hit with our guests! The chicken was very tender and poblano sauce was the perfect amount of spice. In addition, were the braised short ribs with Cabernet Wine Demi Sauce. The meat was very juicy and flavorful, each bite was filled with flavor and you could taste how much time and care Chef Lavell had put in to tenderizing and marinating the beef. The chicken and braised short ribs were accompanied with steamed herb potatoes (with butter and garlic), steamed haricot verts with bacon, and roasted brussels sprouts sprinkled with Parmesan cheese. The potatoes were very tendeand buttery, the beans paired perfectly with bacon, and the Brussels sprouts and Parmesan tasted great! Delicious dinner rolls were served to all guests, complimenting the various flavors of the main course. The food was served family style, and in a timely manner. In addition to preparing and serving hot food, they set up chairs for the tables and cut slices of cake to our guests, as well as prepared,"to go" boxes filled with a slice of cake for our guests to take home. He also packed us a few slices of our wedding cake and complete dinner for two! Chef Lavell and his staff provided excellent food and service for our wedding at Vista West Ranch, in Dripping Springs. We will highly recommend him and his great food and friendly service, again and again!

Martin · Married on 03/14/2015

Lavell did an amazing job on everything. He was patient and made sure we got to try about 10 different things on our tasting (which probably took him the whole day to prepare, including prime rib).

The day of the wedding he was on point and everyone was complimenting how delicious the food was and every one got their fill. For 200 people all of the food was consistent at the perfect temperature and prepared. We had 3 side along with chicken and prime rib and four cocktail appetizers. Nothing ever ran out, but the leftovers were minimal (great job estimating the amount needed).

One big detail that put Lavell over the top is the after party. The father of the bride wanted to have a little after party at his house with menudo, tamales, and tacos (attended by about 50 people). Lavell and his crew worked over time to continue cooking and get the additional food ready. The menudo (usually an acquired taste) was by far the best anyone had ever had (and this was a big Mexican family) (the tamales dipped in the menudo was the best part). Lavell finally got to take a break at about 2 AM (starting at 2 PM).

Dedicated, honest, and overall a great chef. Cannot recommend Lavell McCoy enough.

Kara Lynn · Married on 06/07/2014

We loved working with Chef Lavell at Real McCoy Catering and would absolutely choose them again! They were on time, responsive, professional, and delivered exactly what we discussed with our menu - and the food tasted even better than anticipated!

Brett · Married on 06/01/2014

The Real McCoy recently catered our wedding at The Long Center and we could not have been more happy with the results. Our original caterer backed out on us less than two weeks before the wedding and we were extremely fortunate that Lavell and his team were able to step in to help out. He listened to what we had envisioned for the reception, took our basic ideas for the menu, and then transformed them into truly wonderful dishes. The macaroni and cheese they created was sensational and the guests loved it (including me and I am very hard to please when it comes to that dish). He even made vegan baked beans taste amazing, and that's a nearly impossible task to accomplish! There were nearly 150 guests in attendance and not one of them had anything negative to say about the food, the service or the staff...in fact everyone had many nice things to say about the quality and taste of the food. Working with The Real McCoy Catering was extremely easy and I only wish we had started out with them; our stress levels would have been lowered considerably! Lavell is a true professional and exceeded our expectations, all at a very affordable price. We would highly recommend him to anyone looking for an exceptional caterer.

Carldale · event on: 04/19/2014

The Real McCoy really came through for me on my 14th Anniversary. The food was EXCELLENT. The service was wonderful and everyone was extremely professional. We all had such a wonderful time. I would recommend their services to anyone looking for a high quality catering service with five star chefs. Thanks.

• User3941903 · 2+ years ago

Lavell was great to work with. The food was delicious, all of the guest loved it. We had 150 people and everyone single person mentioned how great the food was. I wish we had a little more after the wedding.
    - - -
    Edit, to expand on my wife's earlier post:
    We had a great experience working with Lavell to put together an awesome reception dinner that we and all of our guests enjoyed. Lavell is very responsive and thorough and detail-oriented when it comes to crafting the menu and hammering out all of the logistics (rentals, table setting, bartending, etc). We asked him for a Caribbean and West African inspired menu served family-style, and he definitely delivered with the jerk chicken and the curry mutton/goat. Everyone raved about the curry goat. He also helped us figure out a good solution for feeding our vegetarian guests, and they all loved their spicy veggie plated meals. He and his staff were punctual, courteous, and went above and beyond in their service for our cocktail hour and reception.

Trish · event on: 11/17/2017

3.5

We used The Real McCoy Catering for our Thanksgiving luncheon. I will disclose that I was not present at the lunch, but did have my counterpart there who provided feedback.
    Leading up to the lunch, everything was great! Chef Lavell was accommodating and flexible in working with our menu and budget. He was very responsive via email. They were a little later than we would have liked for set up (we said we'd like to be serving at 12pm, ended up serving around 12:15/20), but I could have specified time better rather than leave it up to their discretion. My colleague said they seemed a little frazzled and had misplaced their utensils so there was a little bit of a scramble to get some together around our office, but it all worked out. Food was reported to be tasty and everyone was full and happy!