Novella Bridal Reviews

54 | San Francisco, CA

54 Reviews for Novella Bridal

Alycia · Married on 02/24/2019

This was a great first dress shop to visit! The shop was beautiful and they had tons of amazing dresses. Emma made me feel comfortable immediately and reassured me that she was there to help me find a dress that I loved, not one my friends loved. She also made sure to that we only looked at dresses within my budget, and would only show me a more expensive dress if I gave the price the okay first. Can’t recommend them enough!

• Cindy

Cindy · Married on 11/17/2018

I was on a business trip from New Zealand and only had one day free in San Fran. I found a gown they had on preownedweddingdresses.com that I wanted to try, so I called through the day before, not really expecting to be able to get in at such short notice! - but they had a time for me that suited so off I went.

The gown was basically in my size, and I knew I was in love as soon as I tried it on. My consultant Sabrina was super helpful and professional, told me all the details of it having been a sample dress, so she pointed out that a couple of buttons were loose and threw in some extra nude coloured ones for me, assured me the amazing train was all intact and nothing wrong with it. I went away to think about it, they said they would hold it for me, and I returned later in the day to purchase it.

All the way on numerous planes back to NZ it made it safely, and only when I was showing a family member did I realise that a couple of white buttons were missing on the back. Wanting to get the exact same of course, I emailed them to see if they could suggest where I might find some, ie if there was somewhere local that would be able to source the buttons for me. But no, they were more than happy to send some (more than I needed), to me, all the way in New Zealand!

I can't praise their friendly service and willingness to help enough. Buying your wedding dress is such a huge step, and the ladies at Novella made it such an easy and exciting process, I thank them from the bottom of my heart.

• Teresa

Teresa Davies · Married on 09/29/2018

Highly recommend!!

I highly recommend Carol and her team at Novella Bridal for alterations. When I took my dress in, it was way too big and really not made for my body shape. Carol knows what she's doing and did a great job making my dress perfect for me. She's also very patient and willing to talk through everything she's doing, which I really appreciated. Thanks Carol!!

Brina · Married on 09/21/2018

Yes! Yes! Yes!

I happened to find Novella Bridal while parking to go to another bridal store. We went in without an appointment and they were happy to have us. They let me pick a ton of dresses to try on which was so nice cause I’ve been dress shopping for friends who go a limited number for each appointment. The dress I picked was the second dress I tried on. From the first time I saw it to the fittings and picking it up the day before everyone from the girls on the floor to the ladies in alterations were so welcoming and made the experience so special. They made me a veil to match my dress from extra fabric they ordered to match my dress and vision I had in my head. They nailed it and it was perfect and oh by the way EXTREMELY BUDGET FRIENDLY

Kristin · Married on 08/25/2018

I made an appointment 2 weeks before my wedding date after finishing 6 months of alterations at another seamstress with results I was very unhappy with (I bought my dress off the rack at a different location). Carol was truly amazing. She was upfront about what needed to be done, how much it would cost, and the number of times I would need to come back. She explained exactly what work she would do between the appointments, and what I could expect when I came back in. I felt informed and valued through the entire process. The end outcome was an amazing transformation from a dress in which the bust did NOT fit my body (huge gaps) to something that I felt like myself in. I highly recommend contacting Carol from the start for your alterations.

Sam Baxter · Married on 07/22/2018

Such a pretty dress

I was so excited when I received my wedding dress! It fit me so well and was more than I had hoped for!

Jessica · Married on 05/27/2018

I got my dress at Novella bridal after going to about 5 different places in SF. They have a beautiful selection and great service! The whole experience was such a pleasure including selection, alterations, etc. Also the value for what you get is excellent! I got a Martina Liana dress and for my beach wedding and couldn't be happier!

Amy · Married on 07/08/2017

The entire team at Novella Bridal was so helpful. I purchased a dress from another dress shop and was unhappy with the service and alterations. Carole the head seamstress had me come in right away to see if there was anything they could do to help with just two weeks before the wedding. Since it was just a couple of minor changes, they fit me in and had the dress ready within a week. She even fixed some of the alterations that the other shop had messed up.

• Antonett

Antonett · Married on 04/22/2017

I bought my wedding dress from here in July 2016 for my wedding on 4-22-2017. My entire experience from shopping for my dress, getting my alterations done, and fittings was amazing!!! First of all, they completely respected my budget and didn't have me try on a dress that would have gone over it including alterations. Secondly, they had a ton of dresses with the look I was going for - lace, vintage, fit n flare. During my first appointment, I probably tried on around 7 dresses - 2 of which were true contenders. I was able to get pictures taken of me wearing each dress during my appointment and from different angles. I scheduled a follow up appointment a month later to try on the 2 contenders, and my consultant helped me make my decision between the two dresses. Since I got a Martina Liana dress, I was able to order it in a custom length which saved me some money on alterations. Overall, my alterations experience was great. I only needed the boning shortened in the torso and the dress to be taken in at the hip and bust. I also had crinoline and beaded straps added to my dress, which increased the alteration cost since I had to purchase the straps. The alterations rep made sure to call me before ever charging my my card. When I went to pick up my dress, they were able to give me an opaque garment bag since I would be traveling with my fiancé to our out of town wedding. After the wedding, they were even able to give me a voucher to get my dress cleaned and preserved. There's an option to get your dress cleaned and preserved through the store (this option is much cheaper), but I was not able to work that in my schedule.
    Overall, I felt like I was completely taken care of at this shop from beginning to end. My entire experience was well worth the money. I can't say enough nice things.

Alexis · Married on 05/14/2016

I don't even know where else to begin other than Novella Bridal is amazing. Novella was my 3rd stop for wedding dresses. Upon entering everyone was warm and inviting. In addition this is the only place I enjoyed trying on dresses, Ellen made everything seem so fun. After X amount of dresses I finally found "THE ONE" and said yes to the dress. I had the dress custom ordered. The original dress had some sleeves and lace backing that I didn't not want. Since I was going strapless on a backless dress the girls from alterations made sure to so a double check on my measurements to make sure the girls will fit in the dress correctly. The girls contacted the designer and found out that it would be less expensive for me to have it custom made to my liking & measurements by the designer than it would be if I were to have their alterations department to it. After months of waiting I was so excited and nervous to see how the dress was going to come out looking. At my second alterations appointment after Carol took in the sides and did a little more work to the dress I felt like I was on cloud nine and the stars were shinning down AMAZING! I can not say enough the alterations crew at Novella Bridal know what they are doing. I also like the fact that they give you a fair estimate before alterations, and work with you on what it is that you want and the pricing so there are no surprises. I highly recommend Novella Bridal and have already and will continue to recommend them.

Morgan · Married on 09/12/2015

Novella was awesome! I am 6’2”, and knew that whatever gown I chose would need some alterations. The alterations crew was incredible! They completely customized the top of my Essence of Australia gown - it went from strapless to a curvy v-neck without looking like a strapless gown with added straps. I LOVED my dress! They also custom made my veil to match the ivory color of my dress. Highly recommend!

Natalia · Married on 08/17/2015

I loved the dresses and service at Novella Bridal. Their selection was perfect for what i was looking for. I checked out pranovias brand online and was looking for the salon which has them and found it in Novella Bridal. However, I ended up buying a different dress from the same brand which Maple my consultant picked for me ( unfortunately, she doesn't work there anymore) It fitted perfect and was exactly what i was looking for. However, the ladies their didn't push me to make a decision and let me come back and skype with my mom so we can decide together. I'm so happy with the service and collection they have! I would highly recommend this place!!!

The ladies at Novella Bridal are exceedingly stylish, nice, and accommodating. I must have visited every bridal shop in the Bay Area, and the service at Novella was exemplary - no one else made it easier for me to step into all the dresses I tried on. They are very prompt in following up via email (thanks to their sophisticated CRM system), and they helped me envision my dream wedding dress. My fairy godmothers!

Leslie · Married on 10/04/2014

What a selection! This was my last stop on the hunt for THE dress! I was so impressed with their service, attentiveness, and professionalism from the moment we walked in the door to the final fitting and dress pickup! Love, LOVE, LOVE them!

Lauren · Married on 09/20/2014

My five stars is specifically for Carol and the alterations team. Wedding dress shopping was not the most fun for me. I didn't really enjoy it, and when my dress came in and there were a whole host of issues with it to be taken care of, I was in a bit of a funk about the whole process. I mean, I hated my dress. I tried to put on a happy face, took it to Carol and hoped that she could turn it into something passable for my wedding day. She overdelivered. For my gown, Carol ended up:

- Creating a new under-layer since the one from the vendor was not sufficient enough to provide adequate coverage, giving me what amounted to half of a custom gown
    - Shortening the entire torso and shoulder to be proportionate the gown while still fitting my short waisted self
    - Removing about 5 inches of extra material from across my shoulder blades while leaving the changes undetectable
    - Sewing undergarments in so that I didn't require special purchases for that day, while also making it more comfortable
    - Figuring out a solution for an extremely complicated bustle that looks better than any image I've seen of other brides wearing this dress
    - Hemming my dress to still allow a train even though others I've seen just cut it off

...and a host of other little nips and tucks to make the gown belong to ME. It fits me like an absolute glove, and I do not have a sample size body.

She and her team also altered a dress for my rehearsal dinner and a third for my Chinese tea ceremony. Those were easier alterations, but I trusted her so much I wanted them to do them. They also custom made my veil to my height and dress length. I can't thank them enough!

• Ellen

Ellen · Married on 08/02/2014

I went to Novella to try on Wedding Dresses with my mom and sister. This was the first time that I had ever tried on dresses and really had no idea what I was looking for. Carrie started to get a feel for what I liked and explained the names of the different styles that I liked. I think she could tell that this was more of a learning appointment than a chance to sell a dress, but that did not stop her from making it a meaningful experience for me. I left with a complete understanding of the type of dress that I liked and the brands that worked best on me. I definitely want to try a few more places, but would love to be able to go back to buy my gown from Novella because of the wonderful experience.

Jennifer · Married on 05/25/2014

Overall great experience with Novella. Their employees were very helpful when I tried on many dresses to find my dress (after I changed my mind about a million times for what I wanted). The arrival of the dress was timely. They quoted me a realistic price for my alterations and I wasn't surprised by anything. They ended up having to keep taking it in because I lost more weight than expected due to pre-wedding anxieties. I was worried I was hiking up the price, but it was the same they quoted me. I got so many compliments about how well the dress fit me the day of. They were always professional during the process. I don't think I can ever fit it in again, but I still love it :).

Lauren · Married on 04/04/2014

I got my Watters sheath lace dress from a boutique in Chicago and only wanted the best when it came to the alterations, especially since the sheath design is so unforgiving. The alterations at Novella were pricey (almost a 1/3 of what my dress cost) but it was completely worth every penny! I had multiple fittings and they not only altered the shape perfectly for my body, they sewed bra cups in since my back was all open illusion lace. I received SO many compliments about how the dress looked like it was made just for me. I felt completely supported and comfortable all day and night with the cups sewn in because the fit was so perfect. Thank you Novella!

THey were SUPER helpful! I told my attendant what my body type is, what I know looks good and bad on me, and she did the rest! She brought me options that were flattering so I didn't feel like I wasted my time trying on a bunch of dresses that make me look like a beached whale. Also, they are quite reasonably priced for the quality and vendors they carry. Thanks, Leslie, for an awesome experience!

Shang · Married on 09/15/2013

Carol is seriously my FAIRY GODMOTHER!!!!!

I bought my Vera Wang dress used from another bride in Chicago and lived in San Francisco and need alterations turned around in 6 weeks' time during the busy season. I was really lucky that I visited them earlier and got on Carol's books, because she is really busy for good reason. She is magic, she is made of Cantonese fairy dust and is all around awesome.

My dress was 4" larger in several places, of a complicated design, and Carol did an impeccable job. She even noticed little tears I'd done to the dress (clumsy me) and was extremely detail oriented through the whole process. Through 4 fittings she transformed this dress into my dress. She added a bustle and a cathedral length veil. It fits me to a T and I gleefully carried it with me. I get married in about 3 weeks and Carol has been a hilarious auntie along the side.

She takes a lot of pride in her work. My dress was NOT easy to work with, they had to rebuild certain parts, and it seriously looks as good as new. She wants to make the best dress for you and wants to do it correctly, and I thought what I was charged for alterations was extremely reasonable given how much work had to be done. Every experience and visit I had at Novella was extremely pleasant, all the other sales girls are really helpful in helping me get zipped into the dress and following up. Novella has also been very flexible on the days when I had to move my appointments around.

The only thing you have to be mindful is that you need to remember your own appointments, no one is going to call you. Also, I just moved across country to NYC, but I wish I had Carol back on the east coast!

Katherine · Married on 08/24/2013

Novella did an amazing job tailoring my J.Crew wedding dress! They were so responsive, so easy to work with and just all around wonderful people. My dress looked beautiful and fit me perfectly!

Novella Bridal is an amazing place to get your bridal gown and alterations! The selection of gowns was great - they had dresses in a price range that I could afford (I was looking to spend no more than $2000 total) and had a wide range of designers (e.g., San Patrick). After I chose my gown, I knew exactly what I was paying for and what everything would cost when things were all said and done. During the fittings and through correspondences, everyone there was extremely helpful, responsive and very knowledgeable regarding the type of alterations could be applied to my specific dress. They even gave me suggestions on alterations that I hadn't even considered (e.g., lowering the back of the dress)! I took their advice and it made the dress look absolutely spectacular! Carol the primary alterationist was phenomenal to work with, very sweet, and put my mind at ease when my dress wasn't fitting to plan. Thanks to them, my dress looked amazing :)

I had a terrible experience buying the dress and getting the original alterations at a bridal shop that has since closed. But Novella Bride saved the dress and made extensive alterations to make it look amazing! It wasn’t cheap, but they did a lot of work and were very careful to have a fitting at each step of the process. I appreciated that they took the time to get my input throughout the process.

Diana · Married on 06/15/2013

I bought my wedding dress here on black Friday after thanksgiving. It was a wonderful experience. I thought it would be packed, so I made a reservation, but we arrived early so we ventured down to the basement to check out the sample sale going on. They had hundreds of sample dresses, 5 different sales associates, and only me there! I was there 2 hours and tried on probably 25 dresses. They were so accommodating, and they even canceled my upstairs appointment when I had already found 4 that I loved downstairs. They all helped me get in to the dressed and out of them, and gave me good feedback about how it fit. Nobody was irritated when I tried on the same two dresses 5 times just to be sure. I ended up leaving with a dress that was marked 80% off, beautiful, and exactly what I wanted. Loved the whole experience!

I love Novella. It was a great boutique to my wedding dress. And the fitting staff was wonderful.