128 Reviews for Judith's Boutique and Alteration

Mother of Bride (1)
Mother of Groom (1)
Garters (1)
127 Judith's Boutique and Alteration Reviews

Judith was by far the best! After pulling my dress from an alteration shop that I was unsure of, I frantically searched for another seamstress. Other alteration shops literally told me they would not touch my dress due to the intricate bead work and detail of the dress. When I took my dress to Judith, I immediately had confidence in her abilities and had zero doubts in her work. She was so flexible schedule wise and worked efficiently on my dress. She gave me honest opinions through out the process. When I asked for certain changes (for instance lifting the dress higher at the bust) she explained to me why that would not look the best and she was absolutely right. Not only did she do a beautiful job on my wedding gown but also two other white dresses for other wedding events. She was so fun to work with and like talking to a close friend. Go to her for peace of mind and wonderful results.

Profile Picture Lauren, 1/7/18, 1 Review
Category: Dress & Attire

I’m so thankful I took my wedding dress to Judith’s for alterations. She is simply the best! I was so fed up with the store that I purchased my gown from and working with Judith instead was a breath of fresh air! Her pricing is reasonable and she works quickly and skillfully, and above all, she is honest! She took my dress in, made a bustle, and sewed in cups, straps, and a sash for me. We had several fittings where she listened to all my silly concerns and made adjustments accordingly. Things that I thought couldn’t be fixed, she did it! She listened patiently and made sure I was happy with each and every alteration. I went from not being so happy with my dress as purchased to being absolutely in love with it after Judith was finished! Not only is Judith extremely skilled, but she is so fun and helpful! She offered great advice on my posture, how to walk in the dress, how to fluff out the dress, steam it, etc. After the wedding, she helped me send the dress off for cleaning and preservation. Everything was so easy and straightforward with her and she genuinely wants to see her brides happy in their dresses. Thank you, Judith!

Profile Picture Karen, 4/22/17, 8 Reviews
Category: Dress & Attire
Services Used: Alterations, Appts. Only, Cleaning, Preservation, Bride, Bridesmaids

I purchased my dress in Pennsylvania and went to Judith six weeks before our destination wedding. In addition to making sure the bust of my dress fit correctly, she suggested alterations that made the dress absolutely breathtaking, including a French bustle and changing the back of the dress from straight across to a slight V. When hemming the dress, she went above and beyond to preserve the scalloping of the lace. She worked quickly and accommodated several evening fittings. I'm so happy with how the dress turned out and can't thank Judith enough for making it perfect.

Profile Picture April, 10/9/16, 9 Reviews
Services Used: Bridal Gowns, Veils, Bride, Alterations, Appts. Only

I found Judith through Wedding Wire and am so glad that I did! She did a wonderful job altering my dress for my July wedding and was a pleasure to work with. She was able to fix the neckline of my lace dress and adjust the sides so that it fit perfectly. She was always quick to respond and her prices were very reasonable. She is friendly, professional, and made the whole process stress-free. I highly recommend her services to anyone needing dress alterations!

Profile Picture Cheyenne, 7/10/16, 7 Reviews
Services Used: Bride, Alterations

Judith was a great find! She is easy to work with, has a flexible schedule, and her rates are very reasonable for the DC area (considering it's wedding related). I took a chance on her after reading her reviews and it was the best decision I made. She did a great job with the hem (both satin and lace), adding straps, letting out the bodice (after too many weeks rowing and lifting caused bulky muscles), and putting in a bustle (with instructions). She is the best!

Profile Picture M, 6/11/16, 2 Reviews
Category: Dress & Attire
Services Used: Bridal Gowns, Hair Accessories, Veils, Bride, Alterations, Preservation

Judith has been a treat! I found her on weddingwire.com to do my wedding dress alterations. Her price was very fair and her service was excellent. She had me come in a few times as she did each of the alterations to make sure they were to my liking which I found to be very sweet considering how much you spend on a wedding dress.
Alterations included:
1. take in the dress around the body
2. insert cups
3. add a bustle (french)

She was very pleasant to work with and made me feel like I was visiting a friend. She explained everything she was doing and even the different bustles she could do. Each time she showed me how to show the my MOH how to lace up the dress and what to do if it bunches, etc.

Just moving to the area it was really wonderful working with someone who is an expert! Thank you Judith!

Profile Picture Adrian Lynn, 10/10/15, 19 Reviews
Category: Dress & Attire

I purchased my wedding dress from an out of state store, knowing I would need to have it altered locally, here in Washington, D.C. I found Judith based on Wedding Wire reviews and could not be more pleased with how everything turned out. My dress needed to be taken in at the top, hemmed, taken in at the lower hips (slight mermaid style), and a bustle added. I found Judith's pricing to be reasonable and the results were very high in quality.

The entire process was easy and stress-free, too. I emailed to make an appointment, scheduled one for the next Saturday, Judith pinned my dress, gave me line-by-line pricing, and then I had 3 more fittings leading up to the wedding. I never had to wait for her to finish with another customer and she worked very efficiently. Judith was also very flexible when I had to reschedule a fitting. The bustle was perfect-- french style and the buttons were even color-coded. I received a lot of compliments on my dress! After the ceremony, I wanted to have the dress cleaned, so I emailed Judith to ask for a recommendation, and she responded right away, allowing me to drop it off before I left on my honeymoon.

Also, the location is a little hard to find-- it is in a non-descript office building on the 4th floor. The first time I drove right past the building (no sign) and had to double back.

Profile Picture User3734924, 2+ years ago, 6 Reviews
Category: Dress & Attire

Judith did a fantastic job altering my lace wedding gown! I ordered a cap-sleeved lace gown online for my summer wedding, and it ended up requiring alterations to the sleeves (which were too long) and to the top of the bodice (which was to tall for my figure.) When I first sought out wedding dress tailors and received quotes for alterations, I was horribly dismayed by the estimates they provided. Judith was recommended to me through a DC area wedding planner friend of a relative, and she truly came to my rescue. She did the alterations for a very fair price (easily one third of the price of every other estimate I received), and I could not have been more happy with the results. My wedding dress fit me perfectly on the day of the wedding. Judith was so kind, skilled, professional, and prompt. She was also very helpful with recommendations on how best to make the alterations, what kind of hairstyles and jewelry would work best with my particular dress, and came up with the idea for a beautiful American-European bustle combination that never would have occurred to me. I would highly recommend Judith to any bride in the DC metro area. She was such a pleasure to work with, was very reassuring (I was a very nervous bride!) and her alterations did wonders for my dress without breaking my budget.

Profile Picture Kate, 7/31/15, 4 Reviews
Category: Dress & Attire

I found Judith's Boutique after researching for quite a while to find someone who could alter my dresses. I had ordered one dress from David's Bridal (Reception) which was absolutely beautiful and only needed to be shortened. My Ceremony dress was another story. It was a complete disaster! I had it custom-made and it was too big all around. From the sleeves, the neckline, waist, hips everywhere you could possibly imagine. The neckline was not even centered so it looked like my books were uneven. At my initial consultation; Judith had me in the dress and immediately started pinning pins one after another. I think we had around 100 pins. She gave me a very reasonable price for all of the work she had to do. And looking back at it; I think she under-quoted me. She did so much and even made me a veil with the extra fabric from the train. After only a couple of months she fixed my dress and it looked stunning! She even gave me salsa lessons since I was marrying a Puerto Rican In PR. She has a lot of wisdom and even gave me advice on how to do my hair and where I should put my veil. I value her opinion and her expertise especially on my big day. I highly recommend her to anyone who needs a dress alteration and certainly for something as important as a wedding dress.

Profile Picture User4671076, 2+ years ago, 3 Reviews
Category: Dress & Attire

Loved working with Judith! After calling 3 or 4 other seamstresses in the area who didn't answer the phone/return my calls, it was a relief to hear Judith's voice on the other end of the phone! Even though I needed alterations quickly, she immediately said that I could come in the following day and that she would take care of them -- and that she did! My dress fit like a glove the day of my wedding and the bustle she created lasted the entire night (3+ hours of dancing!). She was truly wonderful to work with (my mother really liked her, too!) and I would recommend her to anyone in the DC/Metro area needing a professional and competent seamstress.

Profile Picture Cynthia, 10/12/14, 4 Reviews
Category: Dress & Attire

Judith was amazing! She made alterations to my daughter's wedding dress and added a bustle. The dress was made out of Chantilly lace and I was very nervous about taking two inches off the bottom and creating a bustle. Judith didn't even blink and eye and it was done in record time. We had several fittings before the week of the wedding, just to make sure nothing needed done last minute. The dress was PERFECT. The bustle was so amazing, it was actually a huge improvement to a dress I didn't think could be made better. She steamed the dress and the veil and offered preservation services afterwards. The best price in Northern Virginia! She also altered my mother of the bride dress and it fit like a glove. Don't bother looking anywhere else. Judith is the only person I would trust with such an important event.

Profile Picture Ginger, 9/13/14, 2 Reviews
Category: Dress & Attire

Judith did a wonderful job altering my wedding dress. I had a ballroom style dress that had several layers which needed to be hemmed. She did an excellent job showing me all of my options for the bustle. I was extremely happy with the result. I did about 3 fittings starting in April and had the last one about 2 or three weeks before the wedding. I highly recommend Judith and would go to her again in a heartbeat.

Profile Picture User4503944, 2+ years ago, 1 Review
Category: Dress & Attire

Judith turned by great Aunt's gown from 1940 into a beautiful (and wearable) gown that meshed the original design with a more modern cut (sweetheart neckline, and cap sleeves rather than a jacket). She did a beautiful job, at an affordable rate, and helped us with finding someone to restore the gown (it was yellowed), and taking the time to steam it herself before the wedding. Thank you Judith!!!

Profile Picture Frances, 8/16/14, 6 Reviews
Category: Dress & Attire

Judith is super sweet and funny. She did a great job with my dress alteration. I would definitely recommend her to my friends.

Profile Picture User4378797, 2+ years ago, 2 Reviews
Category: Dress & Attire

Judith was a DREAM to work with! I'd bought a sample gown that was too big, plus I then lost a bit of weight before my wedding and she made it fit like a glove! She was easy to make appointments with and went above and beyond in making sure that I was happy with my dress! Would recommend to anyone!

Profile Picture Josh, 6/14/14, 10 Reviews
Category: Dress & Attire

Judith did a great job with creating a bustle that complemented my wedding gown. Her rate is very reasonable, and she is very responsive to emails. In addition to her seamstress skills, she reminded me to be careful with the sun prior to the wedding day, so there wouldn't be tan lines on my shoulder. That was one of the best reminders I had! Thank you, Judith.

Profile Picture Dorothy, 5/25/14, 7 Reviews
Category: Dress & Attire

I am SO happy my twin sister found Judith a few years ago to fix a poorly done alteration on her wedding gown. She did a wonderful job with gown alterations for my wedding in May. The bustle was a PERFECT match to the style of my gown and even took into consideration that I would be two-stepping all night (I didn't trip once)! She also gave excellent advice regarding the vintage veil I planned to wear. Thank you so much Judith!!!

Profile Picture User3296864, 2+ years ago, 1 Review
Category: Dress & Attire

Judith is wonderful. I highly recommend her. I had two daughters getting married. One had a new dress and the other had a vintage 1940s dress. Judith is a terrific seamstress. She listened to our requests and did exactly what the girls wanted. They were thrilled with the dresses. She is excellent at letting you know if your ideas will work with your dress. She is also talented at creating a bustle that is most flattering for your particular dress. She worked on both my nieces wedding gowns and they were also extremely pleased.

Profile Picture User4172563, 2+ years ago, 1 Review
Category: Dress & Attire

Judith was very responsive, especially though email which is helpful during the busy wedding planning process. She did a fantastic job altering my gown and also took my mothers veil off a 1970's cap and attached it to a comb so I could wear it with my gown! She made something old look perfect with my brand new gown! Very pleased.

Profile Picture User4154784, 2+ years ago, 1 Review
Category: Dress & Attire

I initially purchased my dress a year and a half prior to my wedding. My weight continued to fluctuate and I visited Judith after she came recommended by my wedding planner, Leigh, from chic weddings. During my fitting, my dress couldn't zip and I was heartbroken. After visiting the local fabric store and sending Judith some quick pictures via email of an applique we had found, Judith was able to masterfully transform the back of my dress without the addition of a corset - but with a *just in case* option in case it didn't zip. The day of my wedding she had my dress steamed, my dress zipped - much to my relief, and I had a beautiful applique perfectly applied thanks to judith's hard work.

Thank you judith, my dress looked beautiful thanks to you.

to note, she also altered my sister and mother's dresses for the event. Her turn around time and advice was on point.

Profile Picture Nicky, 5/10/14, 6 Reviews
Category: Dress & Attire

Judith was great, she hemmed my dress beautifully and did a wonderful job adding a french bustle, she did it in 2 layers so it would fall nicely, and she explained it to my mom and maid of honor. I then recommended her to my maid of honor to alter her dress, and that worked out beautifully. She was very affordable, I was super happy with her and I would use her again in a heartbeat.

Profile Picture User4153350, 2+ years ago, 2 Reviews
Category: Dress & Attire

Judith helped make my dress fit perfectly -- and she was the most reasonably priced in the entire DC/NOVA area. Check her out!

Profile Picture ELLEN, 3/9/14, 2 Reviews
Category: Dress & Attire

I truly enjoyed working with Judith. I purchased my wedding dress out of state and was in need of alterations. I was quickly able to make an appointment. She took her time really understanding what I wanted my dress to look like and talking through different options. She is extremely knowledgable on wedding dresses and offered great advice even for my shoes and earrings! Judith had everything completed on time and my dress turned out beautiful! I would definitely recommend this place to anyone in need of wedding dress or bridesmaid dress alterations.

Profile Picture Alison, 10/26/13, 5 Reviews
Category: Dress & Attire

I cannot say enough about Judith's skills as a seamstress and about her ability to listen to and work with her clients. She spent a great deal of time with me looking at various options for my gown, and did a beautiful job on the tailoring and the French bustle of my delicate lace dress which she carefully color coded and explained so my maid of honor would not have trouble. Thank you for making my beautiful gown even more perfect!

Profile Picture Sara, 9/21/13, 7 Reviews