Is this your business? Claim this listing
• Customize your Storefront with your business info
• Network with and learn from other professionals
• Showcase your work with photos & videos
• Collect reviews from your clients and build more credibility

128 Reviews for Judith's Boutique and Alteration

Mother of Bride (1)
Mother of Groom (1)
Garters (1)
127 Judith's Boutique and Alteration Reviews

Judith was by far the best! After pulling my dress from an alteration shop that I was unsure of, I frantically searched for another seamstress. Other alteration shops literally told me they would not touch my dress due to the intricate bead work and detail of the dress. When I took my dress to Judith, I immediately had confidence in her abilities and had zero doubts in her work. She was so flexible schedule wise and worked efficiently on my dress. She gave me honest opinions through out the process. When I asked for certain changes (for instance lifting the dress higher at the bust) she explained to me why that would not look the best and she was absolutely right. Not only did she do a beautiful job on my wedding gown but also two other white dresses for other wedding events. She was so fun to work with and like talking to a close friend. Go to her for peace of mind and wonderful results.

Profile Picture Lauren, 1/7/18, 1 Review
Category: Dress & Attire

I was incredibly nervous taking my mother's wedding dress to get re-done to wear at my own wedding. At the time of her wedding, my mother weighed 55lbs less than I do. So, needless to say the dress really needed alterations. I am so happy I took my wedding dress to Judith. Over the duration of a year, I was in and out of her business a number of times. She is an incredibly talented and knowledgeable woman with a great eye and amazing attention to detail. She also has an fantastic sense of humor! Words cannot begin to express how happy I am with my wedding dress! I would highly recommend Judith!
-- Elizabeth Ganley (Elizabeth Shukis)

Profile Picture Elizabeth, 12/16/17, 4 Reviews
Category: Dress & Attire

I’m so thankful I took my wedding dress to Judith’s for alterations. She is simply the best! I was so fed up with the store that I purchased my gown from and working with Judith instead was a breath of fresh air! Her pricing is reasonable and she works quickly and skillfully, and above all, she is honest! She took my dress in, made a bustle, and sewed in cups, straps, and a sash for me. We had several fittings where she listened to all my silly concerns and made adjustments accordingly. Things that I thought couldn’t be fixed, she did it! She listened patiently and made sure I was happy with each and every alteration. I went from not being so happy with my dress as purchased to being absolutely in love with it after Judith was finished! Not only is Judith extremely skilled, but she is so fun and helpful! She offered great advice on my posture, how to walk in the dress, how to fluff out the dress, steam it, etc. After the wedding, she helped me send the dress off for cleaning and preservation. Everything was so easy and straightforward with her and she genuinely wants to see her brides happy in their dresses. Thank you, Judith!

Profile Picture Karen, 4/22/17, 8 Reviews
Category: Dress & Attire
Services Used: Alterations, Appts. Only, Cleaning, Preservation, Bride, Bridesmaids

I purchased my dress in Pennsylvania and went to Judith six weeks before our destination wedding. In addition to making sure the bust of my dress fit correctly, she suggested alterations that made the dress absolutely breathtaking, including a French bustle and changing the back of the dress from straight across to a slight V. When hemming the dress, she went above and beyond to preserve the scalloping of the lace. She worked quickly and accommodated several evening fittings. I'm so happy with how the dress turned out and can't thank Judith enough for making it perfect.

Profile Picture April, 10/9/16, 9 Reviews
Services Used: Bridal Gowns, Veils, Bride, Alterations, Appts. Only
1.5

For a quick summary, if your alterations go off totally as expected I'm sure you will be pleased with the results. If there is anything off in the slightest, Judith will instantly become defensive and she will lash out at you. Her customer interaction is totally unacceptable and she should probably have someone in the front of the house handling customers and scheduling while she does the actual sewing - away from people. Check out Yelp and the BBB website, or even some of the responses she has to poor reviews to see what you're signing up for.

Her sewing skills may be on point but it was not worth the verbal attack that was unleashed when she messed up the alterations. All of a sudden it was my fault for not giving her notes on the alterations that she had pinned in our first meeting. (I don't know why I would have to take notes for her, being a paying customer) She shouted at me that she hadn't stolen from me when I merely asked her if there was enough fabric leftover to fix the mistakes she had made. She shouted at me about a lot of different things, which doesn't make sense for a professional to do to a customer.

This was all after she had forgotten my appointment the day before, hadn't finished my dress, and insisted that she only had three hours of work left on it. I still had plenty of time before the wedding so I kept asking her how much time she needed. She stuck to her story of three hours.
I spent the entire fitting the next day in tears. She had screamed at for something that wasn't my fault, my alterations needed to be redone, and when I tried the dress on I found the bustle clearly poorly done, rushed, and horrifically uneven.

She did fix the issues and I got out as fast as possible after the following fitting; the initial attack was not warranted at all! I would not recommend her to anyone based on attitude alone. You can find someone to do a beautiful job on your dress without the added stress of an unpredictable wild card of a person.

Profile Picture User6723708, 1+ year ago, 9 Reviews
Services Used: Bridal Gowns, Bride, Alterations

I found Judith through Wedding Wire and am so glad that I did! She did a wonderful job altering my dress for my July wedding and was a pleasure to work with. She was able to fix the neckline of my lace dress and adjust the sides so that it fit perfectly. She was always quick to respond and her prices were very reasonable. She is friendly, professional, and made the whole process stress-free. I highly recommend her services to anyone needing dress alterations!

Profile Picture Cheyenne, 7/10/16, 7 Reviews
Services Used: Bride, Alterations

Judith was a great find! She is easy to work with, has a flexible schedule, and her rates are very reasonable for the DC area (considering it's wedding related). I took a chance on her after reading her reviews and it was the best decision I made. She did a great job with the hem (both satin and lace), adding straps, letting out the bodice (after too many weeks rowing and lifting caused bulky muscles), and putting in a bustle (with instructions). She is the best!

Profile Picture M, 6/11/16, 2 Reviews
Category: Dress & Attire
Services Used: Bridal Gowns, Hair Accessories, Veils, Bride, Alterations, Preservation

I found Judith on Yelp and emailed her to schedule a fitting. She quickly responded and booked an appointment that met my schedule. My dress has many layers and needs a bit more attention to detail. Judith did a fabulous job - the dress looks even better than I thought it would!

Profile Picture Alexis, 5/28/16, 1 Review
Category: Dress & Attire
Services Used: Bridal Gowns, Garters, Hair Accessories, Veils, Alterations, Appts. Only, Cleaning, Preservation, Bride, Bridesmaids, Mother of Bride, Mother of Groom

Judith was great to work with! She made me feel very comfortable!

Profile Picture Danielle, 5/7/16, 1 Review
Category: Dress & Attire

Judith has been a treat! I found her on weddingwire.com to do my wedding dress alterations. Her price was very fair and her service was excellent. She had me come in a few times as she did each of the alterations to make sure they were to my liking which I found to be very sweet considering how much you spend on a wedding dress.
Alterations included:
1. take in the dress around the body
2. insert cups
3. add a bustle (french)

She was very pleasant to work with and made me feel like I was visiting a friend. She explained everything she was doing and even the different bustles she could do. Each time she showed me how to show the my MOH how to lace up the dress and what to do if it bunches, etc.

Just moving to the area it was really wonderful working with someone who is an expert! Thank you Judith!

Profile Picture Adrian Lynn, 10/10/15, 19 Reviews
Category: Dress & Attire

I purchased my wedding dress from an out of state store, knowing I would need to have it altered locally, here in Washington, D.C. I found Judith based on Wedding Wire reviews and could not be more pleased with how everything turned out. My dress needed to be taken in at the top, hemmed, taken in at the lower hips (slight mermaid style), and a bustle added. I found Judith's pricing to be reasonable and the results were very high in quality.

The entire process was easy and stress-free, too. I emailed to make an appointment, scheduled one for the next Saturday, Judith pinned my dress, gave me line-by-line pricing, and then I had 3 more fittings leading up to the wedding. I never had to wait for her to finish with another customer and she worked very efficiently. Judith was also very flexible when I had to reschedule a fitting. The bustle was perfect-- french style and the buttons were even color-coded. I received a lot of compliments on my dress! After the ceremony, I wanted to have the dress cleaned, so I emailed Judith to ask for a recommendation, and she responded right away, allowing me to drop it off before I left on my honeymoon.

Also, the location is a little hard to find-- it is in a non-descript office building on the 4th floor. The first time I drove right past the building (no sign) and had to double back.

Profile Picture User3734924, 2+ years ago, 6 Reviews
Category: Dress & Attire

Judith did a fantastic job altering my lace wedding gown! I ordered a cap-sleeved lace gown online for my summer wedding, and it ended up requiring alterations to the sleeves (which were too long) and to the top of the bodice (which was to tall for my figure.) When I first sought out wedding dress tailors and received quotes for alterations, I was horribly dismayed by the estimates they provided. Judith was recommended to me through a DC area wedding planner friend of a relative, and she truly came to my rescue. She did the alterations for a very fair price (easily one third of the price of every other estimate I received), and I could not have been more happy with the results. My wedding dress fit me perfectly on the day of the wedding. Judith was so kind, skilled, professional, and prompt. She was also very helpful with recommendations on how best to make the alterations, what kind of hairstyles and jewelry would work best with my particular dress, and came up with the idea for a beautiful American-European bustle combination that never would have occurred to me. I would highly recommend Judith to any bride in the DC metro area. She was such a pleasure to work with, was very reassuring (I was a very nervous bride!) and her alterations did wonders for my dress without breaking my budget.

Profile Picture Kate, 7/31/15, 4 Reviews
Category: Dress & Attire

I'm so happy I chose Judith to do my wedding dress alterations! She was recommended by a friend and was great. I really had no idea what to do with the dress and she had some great suggestions (like the beautiful French bustle she did for the back). I trusted her judgment and the dress turned out beautifully- it fit like a glove and was so flattering! She was very easy to work with- very responsive on email and flexible with scheduling. Highly recommended!

Profile Picture Laura, 5/30/15, 6 Reviews
4.3

I was pleased with Judith's alterations. She was very responsive to emails, and it was easy to schedule fittings with her. She worked quickly and was extremely pleasant.

Profile Picture User4706296, 2+ years ago, 5 Reviews
Category: Dress & Attire

Judith was pleasant and straight-forward, and flexible/accommodating with appointment times. However, she was late to two of my three appointments (I was her first appt of the day). She did a good job with my alterations (length) and turnaround time was very quick. I appreciate her willingness to do my alterations although I bought my dress at a different boutique. She was very quick to respond to emails both during the week and on weekends.

Profile Picture Wendy, 3/6/15, 4 Reviews
Category: Dress & Attire

I found Judith's Boutique after researching for quite a while to find someone who could alter my dresses. I had ordered one dress from David's Bridal (Reception) which was absolutely beautiful and only needed to be shortened. My Ceremony dress was another story. It was a complete disaster! I had it custom-made and it was too big all around. From the sleeves, the neckline, waist, hips everywhere you could possibly imagine. The neckline was not even centered so it looked like my books were uneven. At my initial consultation; Judith had me in the dress and immediately started pinning pins one after another. I think we had around 100 pins. She gave me a very reasonable price for all of the work she had to do. And looking back at it; I think she under-quoted me. She did so much and even made me a veil with the extra fabric from the train. After only a couple of months she fixed my dress and it looked stunning! She even gave me salsa lessons since I was marrying a Puerto Rican In PR. She has a lot of wisdom and even gave me advice on how to do my hair and where I should put my veil. I value her opinion and her expertise especially on my big day. I highly recommend her to anyone who needs a dress alteration and certainly for something as important as a wedding dress.

Profile Picture User4671076, 2+ years ago, 3 Reviews
Category: Dress & Attire

Loved working with Judith! After calling 3 or 4 other seamstresses in the area who didn't answer the phone/return my calls, it was a relief to hear Judith's voice on the other end of the phone! Even though I needed alterations quickly, she immediately said that I could come in the following day and that she would take care of them -- and that she did! My dress fit like a glove the day of my wedding and the bustle she created lasted the entire night (3+ hours of dancing!). She was truly wonderful to work with (my mother really liked her, too!) and I would recommend her to anyone in the DC/Metro area needing a professional and competent seamstress.

Profile Picture Cynthia, 10/12/14, 4 Reviews
Category: Dress & Attire

Judith was great to work with! She listened to my concerns and needs and altered my dress quite a lot. She turned a slim A-line dress into more of a trumpet shape and created a sweetheart neckline that was just perfect for the look I wanted. She suggested and created a 6 point button bustle and it held my medium length, satin train all night! I have seen many bustles fall in the middle of dancing so I was very pleased when mine held. Thank you very much Judith!

Profile Picture Shelby, 10/4/14, 3 Reviews
Category: Dress & Attire

Judith was amazing! She made alterations to my daughter's wedding dress and added a bustle. The dress was made out of Chantilly lace and I was very nervous about taking two inches off the bottom and creating a bustle. Judith didn't even blink and eye and it was done in record time. We had several fittings before the week of the wedding, just to make sure nothing needed done last minute. The dress was PERFECT. The bustle was so amazing, it was actually a huge improvement to a dress I didn't think could be made better. She steamed the dress and the veil and offered preservation services afterwards. The best price in Northern Virginia! She also altered my mother of the bride dress and it fit like a glove. Don't bother looking anywhere else. Judith is the only person I would trust with such an important event.

Profile Picture Ginger, 9/13/14, 2 Reviews
Category: Dress & Attire

Judith did a wonderful job altering my wedding dress. I had a ballroom style dress that had several layers which needed to be hemmed. She did an excellent job showing me all of my options for the bustle. I was extremely happy with the result. I did about 3 fittings starting in April and had the last one about 2 or three weeks before the wedding. I highly recommend Judith and would go to her again in a heartbeat.

Profile Picture User4503944, 2+ years ago, 1 Review
Category: Dress & Attire

Judith provided the alterations for my wedding dress and jr. Bridesmaid dress. Judith altered my entire dress to be more fitting for my body type and Also listened to my wants of what my husband visioned my wedding dress to be like that day. Judith is up to date on the styles and fashion of wedding dresses and what styles go with venues etc. I highly recommend Judith.

Profile Picture Nerisha, 9/12/14, 4 Reviews
Category: Dress & Attire

Judith turned by great Aunt's gown from 1940 into a beautiful (and wearable) gown that meshed the original design with a more modern cut (sweetheart neckline, and cap sleeves rather than a jacket). She did a beautiful job, at an affordable rate, and helped us with finding someone to restore the gown (it was yellowed), and taking the time to steam it herself before the wedding. Thank you Judith!!!

Profile Picture Frances, 8/16/14, 6 Reviews
Category: Dress & Attire

Judith is super sweet and funny. She did a great job with my dress alteration. I would definitely recommend her to my friends.

Profile Picture User4378797, 2+ years ago, 2 Reviews
Category: Dress & Attire

I had a horror story with my wedding dress and was going to have to replace my dress after it was custom made in Korea. Judith was my only hope and she did a TREMENDOUS job fixing it with such short notice and getting it done within 24 hours!!! I am truly impressed with the amount of care she had for me as a customer and for my dress. I have referred all my bridesmaids to get their dresses altered with her and will be referring her services to future brides. ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC! Thank Judith!

Profile Picture User4243759, 2+ years ago, 1 Review
Category: Dress & Attire

Judith was a DREAM to work with! I'd bought a sample gown that was too big, plus I then lost a bit of weight before my wedding and she made it fit like a glove! She was easy to make appointments with and went above and beyond in making sure that I was happy with my dress! Would recommend to anyone!

Profile Picture Josh, 6/14/14, 10 Reviews