P.O. Box 7840, Kill Devil Hills, NC 27948 Map · Phone number
  • Real Weddings 3

About Sugar Snap Events

Meet Laura Sorensen & Shirley Cook of Sugar Snap Events

(1) Name of Business: Sugar Snap Events, LLC

(2) Service Provided: Wedding coordination and wedding florals/décor.

(3) What is your business philosophy? To work hard and thoroughly and to take our client's best interest to heart. Our goal is to make their wedding day as stress free as possible so they can focus on what is most important- their new lives together, their family, and their friends.

(4) What sets you apart? Our ability to recognize both our client's and vendors' needs in order to make each wedding day as seamless as possible. We will only coordinate one wedding per day and we stay until the end of the event. In addition, we offer personalized floral/decor services set in a collaborative environment that allows our clients to achieve the look and feel they desire for their special day- everything from bouquets, boutonnieres and corsages to ceremony arches and arrangements, tablescapes, ceiling installations, print materials and more.

(5) How long and where? Sugar Snap Events has been serving brides since 2003. We are both natives of the Outer Banks and our past experience in event planning, catering/restaurant management, and familiarity with Outer Banks locations and vendors provides our clients with the insight and knowledge they need to have a spectacular wedding day.

(6) Best advice you have? Laura’s advice: “Remember to flex… or you will snap :) It is important to have the wedding of your dreams and we strive to ensure that. But at the end of the day the most important thing is not the color of your linens but the fact that you are married to the one you truly love.” Shirley’s advice: “When planning all of the special touches for your wedding day be true to who you are- with music selections, readings, the overall look/feel of the event. And remember to be present and focus on each and every moment because it all happens so quickly! “

(7) What is your favorite part of the job? Shirley: “Watching the groom's face as he sees his bride for the first time. After that, getting hugs from the family at the end of a successful event. “ Laura: “Listening to the toasts from best friends and family- I always laugh or cry in the BEST way:) After toasting it is the surprised reaction at the end of the night when they realize ‘Wow! We couldn't have done this without you.’ And of course, the hugs!”

(8) What is your favorite place? Laura: “My front porch.” Shirley: “Wilmington, NC”.
(9) What are your favorite hobbies? Shirley: “Hanging out and drinking a glass of wine with my girlfriends, bowling, and going to concerts.” Laura: “ Ditto But NO bowling!! It breaks my nails :) Ha ha.”

(10) What is your favorite meal? Laura: “A pint of Ben & Jerry's in my fave PJ's on the couch at the end of a lonnnggg day.” Shirley: “I'm a carb girl so nothing makes me happier than a big bowl of mac n' cheese or a plate full of crinkle cut french fries. “

Sugar Snap Events- the perfect blend of “sugar” and “snap”.

Congratulations on your engagement and upcoming wedding. What an incredibly exciting time in your life! Whether you are planning a large extravagant affair or an intimate heartfelt gathering, allow Laura and Shirley to bring the perfect blend of “sugar” and “snap” to your big day. Together, they achieve an ideal blend of structure and organization (snap) and friendly professionalism (sugar) that will allow you to relax and focus on each precious moment of this amazing life celebration. From the initial stages of planning to the direction of the ceremony and reception to the final hugs at the end of the night, Shirley and Laura are there every step of the way.

Allow their experience to work for you…..

• Laura and Shirley are long time locals who are familiar with the Outer Banks’ best ceremony/reception locations, vendors, and unique characteristics. Laura will help you save valuable time and energy by providing a tailored vendor suggestion list based on your specific wants and needs. Shirley will help you pull the look of your event together by providing beautiful contemporary florals designs, tablescapes and more.
• Shirley and Laura are members of OBWA (Outer Banks Wedding Association).
• Great organizational skills and timely communication are just two more of Sugar Snap’s valuable assets. Shirley and Laura understand that planning a long distance wedding can be frustrating and strive to return phone calls and emails as quickly as possible so that you can continue planning your big day. They will provide you with structured “to do” lists and reminders to help ease the planning process.
• A seamless wedding day…What is most important to Laura and Shirley is that you get to enjoy your wedding day. Allow Laura to step in and make sure that vendors arrive and setup per your agreements, make sure your guests are taken care of, and take the reins and make sure that you and your wedding party are on time and don’t miss a single special moment. Shirley will execute the florals and decor so that you walk in to your dream wedding and reception.

The bottom line….Laura and Shirley love what they do and want to help you have an unforgettable day. Whether you are in need of coordination services, florals/décor, or both, please give them a call today or visit them online to bring a little “sugar” and “snap” to your wedding day!

Laura Sorensen- Owner/Event Coordinator

• Coastyle Weddings
a3a41d2b402e0910 1420742515350 werrlein knecht wedding 2971 2014 09 25
Photo by (c)MaryBasnight.com
Florals/Decor by Sugar Snap Events.
Photo by (c)MaryBasnight.com Florals/Decor by Sugar Snap Events.
Photo by brookemayo.com
Photo by brookemayo.com
photo by brookemayo.com
photo by brookemayo.com
Photo by Genevieve Stewart Photography.
Coordination and Florals/Decor by Sugar Snap Events.
Photo by Genevieve Stewart Photography. Coordination and Florals/Decor by Sugar Snap Events.
Wedding reception area
Wedding centerpiece
Wedding centerpiece
Photo by Jen Fariello.
Florals/Decor by Sugar Snap Events.
Photo by Jen Fariello. Florals/Decor by Sugar Snap Events.
Photo by Jen Fariello.
Florals/Decor by Sugar Snap Events.
Photo by Jen Fariello. Florals/Decor by Sugar Snap Events.
Wedding luces

108 Reviews for Sugar Snap Events

• Arianna

Arianna Mentzer · Married on 10/03/2019

Beautiful Flowers and Decor

The flowers and decor were picture perfect! Shirley took the ideas and pictures I sent her and put it all together for our beach wedding. We were planning long distance but she made sure to describe exactly what everything would look like and sent pictures of the flowers that were in the bouquets. She made sure my "something blue" fit right into my bouquet. Even with a last minute change in the reception layout, Shirley made sure the lighting and decor were perfect.

Sent on 10/25/2019
  • Megan

Megan Sikora · Married on 09/22/2019

Perfection

Shirley was amazing! The first time we met up for coffee to discuss my "vision" for the wedding I knew she was the person to pull this together. I didn't have an exact idea in mind about flowers, Shirley walked me through some cards to understand what I liked and what I didn't. We also just talked about my and my fiance's interests which helped to design some of the more personalized features. Shirley also worked with us when we wanted to cut back a bit and find some ways to save. The day of the wedding was PERFECT, all my guest commented about how beautiful the decorations were and how the signs made were so "us." I can't say enough about working with Shirley - thanks for helping to make the perfect day!

Sent on 09/30/2019

Hannah Dixon · Married on 08/24/2019

Made my wedding dreams come true :)

I can’t recommend Shirley from Sugar Snap enough. I did not have a specific vision for what I wanted my wedding venue to look like, just an idea of the feeling I wanted to create. I think my exact words to Shirley were something along the lines of “I don’t know, I like the color blue?” Somehow, she took my vague descriptions of what I was picturing in my mind and turned it into reality. The first time I cried on my wedding day was when I walked into the venue because it was surreal to see my half-formed ideas turned into an absolutely stunning reality. Shirley was always responsive to emails and available to speak on the phone when needed. She welcomed feedback and adjusted the design plan multiple times. She helped me prioritize when we needed to cut down for budget reasons. I felt very supported by her and her design was flawless. I would not want anyone else to have designed my wedding, and I highly suggest hiring her and her wonderful team!

**All photos by Matt Lusk photography

Sent on 02/22/2020

WeddingWire Couples' Choice Awards 2020 Winner

Sugar Snap Events FAQ

• What wedding events do you provide services for?
    Ceremony
    Reception
    Rehearsal Dinner
  • What wedding planning services do you offer?
    Day-of Coordination
    Event Design
    Partial Planning
    Timelines
    To-Do Lists
    Vendor Referrals
  • What weddings do you have experience planning?
    Civil
    Eco-Friendly
    Military
    Non-Religious
    Religious
  • How many planners are on your team?

Real Weddings

• Coastyle Weddings Wedding Planners

We love working with Shirley and her team at Sugar Snap! They are so fun to work with! While being prompt, professional and extremely talented, they also bring an aura of humor and excitement to each wedding. They love what they do, and want each client to be ecstatic over their florals and design. They are quick to respond to emails, have straight forward and easy to read proposals, and are always happy to explain flowers/cost, etc. to help brides navigate what will work best for their particular wedding. We love working with them and know all of our clients will love working with them too!

• Ocean Atlantic Event Rentals Wedding Rentals

If you are looking for a talented, down to earth designer Shirley is the one! She is always pleasure to work with.

• Rev. Jay Bowman Wedding Officiants

It's easy to endorse someone who hits a home run every time they get up to the plate. Shirley and Laura at Sugar Snap Events do just that. I've worked with them for over a decade and enjoyed it very much. They have personalities that compliment each other in giving you a service and product you'll be very happy with.

• P.O. Box 7840 Kill Devil Hills, 27948 See on map
    Location of (Sugar Snap Events)