Neil Colton Photographer

• Responsiveness: 1.0
  • Professionalism: 1.0
  • Value: 1.0
  • Flexibility: 2.0

BUYER BEWARE: My husband and I were devastated when we received our digital wedding album from Neil. In our opinion, the quality of the work we received was not what we paid $3,000 for.

Nearly 50% of the "Must Have" shots we asked for were missing. Moments like the bride's father's 5 minute toast were all but missed - the only image captured was one with a tree in the background. And, Neil attempted to claim that he didn't know there was going to be a toast, after acknowledging receipt of the detailed itinerary he received well in advance of our wedding per the contract.

Neil and Natasha failed to take a single bridal portrait of me in my dress with my veil. Sounds impossible, right? No. Bridal. Portrait.

Our wedding digital album we contracted for was given to us late and incomplete. After six weeks, Neil had failed to get any photographs from his assistant.

We still have not received the digital files from our engagement shoot taken six months ago.

There is one picture of me and my husband during our first dance where we are both looking at the camera. And, Neil cut most of his head off in it. My husband does not believe there is a single photograph of the football length aisle (we got married at a lake house on a point) that is printable.

When asked about the quality of his work, Neil contacted his attorneys, and instantly refused to speak to my husband over the phone. Although we never asked for any money back, he stated up front that we would not be receiving any money from him. He stated that if we want any recourse at all, we will have to sue him. In my opinion, this is terrible customer service. All in all, in my opinion, Neil ruined the photographic memories of my wedding day. We are considering legal action, and will be filling a complaint with the Professional Photographers of America immediately for a violation of their Code of Ethics.

For brides: Go somewhere else.

Neil Colton Photographer responded with the following comments:

Where to begin...

As you can see from my other reviews, this is clearly an anomaly. It is also largely not true. I am reluctant to share personal information about my clients that would be embarrassing to them or humiliating. So I will not do that.

From the time we first talked, I was and always have been, entirely professional in my interactions with Jason and Christa. This, even in the face of some very strong attacks on me and my work. I will continue to be professional, even though this attack does anger me. I am only human, after all.

To the specifics:

Their engagement images were delivered to them on time, based on their selections.

There was no 'Digital Album' included in their collection. I do provide clients with selected images of the wedding day, as high resolution digital files, delivered on an DVD. That was delivered to Christa and Jason on time, within the terms of our contract.

The reference to me talking about legal action is taken completely out of context. Although we left the wedding with their blessing and fond farewells, things turned ugly. Soon after I posted their wedding gallery online, I received a 15 page email from them. It was abusive and, by any measure, over the top.

It was so intense and aggressive, that I forwarded it to my attorney for an opinion on what to do in response. His advice to me was to have minimal contact with these clients.

This is completely new territory for me and it has changed many of my practices and procedures. I am much more guarded and selective about who I will work for now.

The work that Natasha and I did for Christa and Jason on their wedding day was entirely consistent with the work I (we) have been doing for couples for the past 5 + years. We have some wonderful images from the day!

As a creative type, I am gutted when my clients are not utterly delighted with my work. It is what keeps me going in an intensely competitive business.

I wish Christa and Jason only the very best for their lives, their work and their marriage. My prayer for them is that they will find personal and marital peace.

Neil

• Wedding: 09/22/2012
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Neil and Shannon did an amazing job on our wedding! They were great to work with from start to finish and made it a lot of fun. I was completely blown away by their pictures when i received them and they went above and beyond my expectations. I hope to have another function where I will need to use them again!
Bethany & Nick Walton

• Wedding: 05/12/2012
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Neil and his team are both a pleasure to work with and true professionals! Neil certainly knows how to make you feel at ease during the hecticness of your wedding day and he delivers with outstanding work. Highly recommend Neil Colton Photography!

• Wedding: 10/15/2011
4.8/5.0
  • Responsiveness: 4.5
  • Professionalism: 4.5
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Neil was a pleasure to work with, and the photos showed off his talents and hard work. He is an excellent communicator and was very responsive to our needs. I would highly recommend Neil Colton to anyone look for a wedding photographer in the DC/VA/MD area.

• Wedding: 09/04/2011
  • Flexibility: 5.0

I cannot say enough wonderful things about Neil Colton photography!! I really wanted a photographer with a background in photojournalism who would capture that candid essence of the day and not confine his vision to posed portraiture (although I really wanted that too)! I also wanted a photographer with an architectural background who could showcase the beautiful venue that is the Arena Stage. Neil exceeded my expectations tenfold! From the beginning, Neil was enthusiastic, supportive and professional. I got married at the Arena Stage, and, even before the wedding, Neil worked diligently with my light design team to ensure that we were captured in the most flattering light and that our vision would translate well on film. On the day of the wedding, Neil brought his assistant, Jill, who was a charismatic and vivacious compliment to his own unique skills. The photographers were unintrusive, and you felt as though they were special guests who were so excited to be a part of this important moment in your life. But when I saw the pictures---OH MY GOD--it was clear that they were not guests, they had obviously worked their tails off to capture every important moment and detail that you didn't even know how much you wanted to see. The photographs are spectacular and poignant and I'm afraid that I don't have enough walls to hang my favorites on. When you plan something special, you want to be surrounded by a team that is supportive, professional, competent, creative and zealous! I am so grateful to Neil and his team for their wonderful contributions and creative spirit. I can't wait to use them again for my next special moment--in fact my sister is using him for her wedding too! I only wish Neil could be my own personal papparazi!

• Wedding: 07/30/2011
Profile Picture
Laura
1 Review
  • Flexibility: 5.0

The quality and level of professionalism were fantastic! We couldn't have asked for a better team of photographers for our wedding day! We loved their attention to detail and creativity! Thank you for making our wedding a day we can remember with such stunning photography!

• Wedding: 07/17/2011
  • Flexibility: 5.0

We thoroughly enjoyed working with Neil from the very beginning. He was extremely responsive throughout the whole process, from the initial meeting to the post-wedding follow-ups. We got plenty of attention from him and especially appreciated the pre-wedding visits to the church and reception sites so that he and his team could get familiar with the locations in preparation to shoot the events there. Neil and his team are extremely professional, and have great equipment to get any type of shot. We're thankful to have had the opportunity to work with Neil and his team, and would strongly recommend him to anyone who wants a more classic, photojournalist take on a wedding- our pictures tell a great story of our wedding day, start to finish!

• Wedding: 05/14/2011
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Neil is very passionate about his work and it shows in the photos. My husband and I are not exactly photogenic, but he is able to capture us at moments we weren't even aware of and bring the feelings out in the photos. He is amazing to work with, very responsive, and professional at all times. We recommend him without a doubt.

• Wedding: 04/16/2011
  • Flexibility: 5.0

If you are camera-shy guy like me, being in front of a camera can be a little intimidating. But Neil was extremely easy to get a long with and constantly cracking jokes. He made me comfortable and allowed me to open up and enjoy the experience along with my wife. He is not intrusive at all, easy to get along with, and very artistic. We love his vision and work, and recommend him to anyone!

• Wedding: 04/16/2011

simply wonderful!

• Wedding: 12/11/2010
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Neil Colton is a pleasure to work with and we look great in the photos he took. I recommend him highly.

• Wedding: 11/06/2010
  • Flexibility: 5.0

I would recommend Neil Colton's work for your wedding in a heartbeat. Neil is professional, compassionate, responsive, and extremely talented. Neil put many hours of work in meeting with me and my now husband Rob, doing site work at the vineyard at which we were to be married (twice!) before the big day. He takes special care with each couple he encounters, and he provides a level of service like no other. He will make you and your fiancé feel as if you two are the only couple he is working with. Rob and I will continue to work with Neil when we expand our family and beyond. You won't get more value out of Neil Colton Photography. After all... you can't get those moment back, and you should have someone who cares about each one from start to finish.

• Wedding: 06/05/2010
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Wonderfully creative, professional and met all of our expectations and beyond!

we were very thankful for the amazing services that this team of talented photographers
offered for our wedding weekend.

• Wedding: 08/02/2009
4.9/5.0
  • Value: 4.5
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Neil and Shannon are an amazing team! I loved having them help and take part in such a special day. The photos are gourgous and their way of connecting with not only my husband and I, the wedding party, but the guest as well; was a blessing. I loved working with them to create our wedding story in such a beautiful visual manner!

Thank you to them I had no worries about wedding photo distasters! I would definately reccommend them for these reasons and more.

• Wedding: 08/02/2009
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Colton Photography pays attention to detail, very relaxed, punctual and very affordable for the beautiful pictures that I got. I definitely recommend Colton Photography to anyone who is looking for a photographer!

• Wedding: 06/07/2008
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Neil and his associates were great!! They were prompt, courteous, professional, and skilled. We loved our photos. Neil was great to work with, he listened to our needs and responded exceptionally. He provided some great memories that my wife and I will cherish forever. I would recommend his services to any of my friends. Thanks.

• Wedding: 07/16/2005