We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

D
Dedicated February 2011

Should I pay for the Bridesmaid Hair and Makeup?

Doyca, on October 22, 2010 at 4:25 PM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 0 14
Saved Save

Not sure who should cover this expense

14 Comments

• Cherie
    Super July 2011
    Cherie ·
    • Flag

I say no unless you do it as their gifts.

• Lilly
    VIP August 2010
    Lilly ·
    • Flag

I wanted to cover the hair expenses for my BM but I wasn't able to financially. I did give them a choice of doing it themselves or having a pro do it. One BM had hair done by pro and makeup herself. They all paid for their own hair and make up.

However, if you REQUIRE them to get both done professionally, then you should absorb the costs.

• Meghan
    Master August 2011
    Meghan ·
    • Flag

If you are REQUIRING them to get their hair and makeup professionally done, I think you should pay for it. However, it is customary for them to pay for it. I would negotiate a group discount if you can though.

I think it's expected to pay to get your hair done, but I know alot of people who can do their own hair better than a professional. The make up thing- I think people are capable of doing their own. If you are going to make them get it done- consider splitting the expense with them.

• Konichiwa
    Master January 2010
    Konichiwa ·
    • Flag

I agree with Lilly, if you are going to require your BMs to have their hair and makeup done professionally, then you should pay for it. If it's their option, then you don't have to cover the costs unless you want to do that as part of their gifts.

• Edwina
    Master August 2011
    Edwina ·
    • Flag

Well it depends, If you are having a stylist and a make up artist come in the day of the wedding to do everyone, then yes you should pay for it. If they are choosing to go to their own stylist, then no I don't think you should.

• D
    Dedicated February 2011
    Doyca ·
    • Flag

Thanks Ladies!

I did however, offer to do their make-up (I do AMAZING MAKE-UP). However, they didn't wan't me to stress out the day of the wedding. (which I can understand as well)

• Ab
    Master October 2011
    Ab ·
    • Flag

I agree with everyone´s comments, thats pretty much how it is done. Maybe you could talk it over with your BMs to get their take on it..although if you are requiring them to go with you when you get yours done it may be better to pay at least part of it?

• Mrs R (formerly "Nicole A.")
    Expert October 2010
    Mrs R (formerly "Nicole A.") ·
    • Flag

I was in my sister-in-law and brother-in-law's wedding 2 years ago, and we paid for our own hair and makeup. When I took my girls to get their hair and makeup done last week, I bought $ amount gift certificates for them and let them make the decision - use for that morning or for another service at another time. I presented the gc's as part of their gifts at the rehearsal dinner the night before. They all loved it!

• D
    Dedicated February 2011
    Doyca ·
    • Flag

I guess it comes down to speaking to them, and seeing if they would or would not mind covering that expense.

• KenWay
    VIP July 2011
    KenWay ·
    • Flag

If its not in your budget don't do it! I am letting my girls do what they feel comfortable doing with their hair and makeup so they won't have to whine :-) But I couldn't afford that either. hair and makeup for each girl was quoted to me at 65.00 a piece and I have 7 girls. There is no way I could afford it so if you can't either don't do it!

• D
    Dedicated February 2011
    Doyca ·
    • Flag

Yes, hair and make up looks like it'll be about $100-$150 each! Mine is more expensive (OF COURSE). But I have been shopping around to get the best deals. I will give them the option to get it done the night before or use whomever I hire for hair.

• Genevieve
    VIP February 2011
    Genevieve ·
    • Flag

Agree with the ladies. If you require them to have it, you should pay for it (however if you phrase it as "I want you all to fantastic on the day of the wedding, so I'm making my present to you providing your hair & makeup" then they will probably be excited).

If you want to give them the option of it, make sure that you provide them with a full price list and make sure it's clear that it's OPTIONAL and they have to pay if they want it.

• Fun bride
    Master November 2010
    Fun bride ·
    • Flag

If you require it, you pay. Otherwise I would let them make their own arrangements. One way to save a lot of money on hair and make up is to find a salon close to the ceremony, as opposed to hiring professional to come to you.

• Kelly King
    June 2020
    Kelly King ·
    • Flag

I agree with fun bride. At my sister's recent wedding, she made appointments for everyone with her friend who is a hair dresser. I was unaware that I was paying for this service, and was not given any other choice. I was steamed when I got up from the chair and was told the price to pay. I hadn't even brought my checkbook because I assumed that since my sis had made this decision for all of us, that she was covering the cost. In my opinion, this is true with every aspect of your wedding: If you picked it, or decided it for someone else, you should expect to pay for it. Otherwise let them do their own thing. I feel the same way about the attire. If you pick the dress, you pay. If you want them to pay, let them choose the dresses.

Comment on this discussion

Related articles