L
Just Said Yes September 2017

DJ bailed help!

Lauren, on Feb 10, 2017 at 6:05 PM Posted in Etiquette and Advice

I got a call today from the company I booked my dj through to say my dj decided it was too far for him to travel even though I am paying a travel fee.

They waited 4 months to decide this. Naturally I don't want a DJ that doesn't want to be there so I was told I'd get an email with alternates, but the only reason we chose this company was for this dj.

I checked my email after the call. Hours prior to the call I'd received an email with dj options... no explanation, no mention my DJ backed out.

I reached out to express that we booked this DJ and they delayed 4 months that we could have had our choice of substitute.

I fear they did wait so we could not walk and find an alternate in our budget of $900.

I will give them a few days and vet their recommendations but should i walk and demand refund for their breach of contract. Is this reasonable?

In case you have any recommendations, we are looking for a DJ with lights and a mini set up for ceremony for in Thompson Pa. 7 hour

Share:

8 Comments

• FutureMrsL
    Super September 2017
    FutureMrsL ·

Check your contract, it may say they are allowed to change DJs. Its fairly common with companies there was one we didn't go with for that exact reason. You may be outta luck here

• A
    Savvy February 2018
    Andrea ·

I'm sorry to hear that. I would demand a refund and take my business elsewhere.

• Celia Milton
    Celia Milton ·

Well this is a fine time to tell you, especially on a holiday weekend. Totally unprofessional.

Which, I'm sorry, is what I'd expect for a budget DJ. He probably booked someone at a higher price.

He needs to give you your entire payment back, of course, if you don't like any of their recs, but frankly, after being treated like this? I'd look elsewhere.

• Leeann
    Super August 2017
    Leeann ·

Very unprofessional behavior. Check your contract though--they may have wording that they are able to substitute a DJ. If they do not have that wording, take your money elsewhere and leave a negative Yelp review.

• L
    Just Said Yes September 2017
    Lauren ·

It looks like "all payments are non refundable" but only date changes would result in being subject to availability. So since I did not change any thing and there was no act of God i am in the position to bargain.

• Daisuke Takeoka
    Daisuke Takeoka ·

I am incredibly sorry to hear about the circumstances. This is unfortunately more common than one might think, and a major weakness of Multi-Op DJ companies. You'd be surprised how little of what the customer paid trickles down to the performer putting in the labor at some of these companies too. I hope this situation has worked out in your favor!

• Anthony Salas
    Anthony Salas ·

This is terrible! If they terminate your contract, you should absolutely get your deposit back.

@DJ Dais, not sure about your multi-op comment, as this (in our region) tends to be more of a problem with single-op companies as opposed to multi-ops.

• Daisuke Takeoka
    Daisuke Takeoka ·

@Epic Entertainment, the original post is about a multi-op is it not? The more unscrupulous multi-op companies with the lowest prices are often made up of "single-op DJs" who can be found moonlighting on craigslist at half the rate their parent companies charge (in my region).

Have doubts? Regardless of what region you are, search for recruiting ads on Craigslist for these companies. The ones applying are the DJs we are both speaking of.

Comment on this discussion