Shin Bu Reviews

27 | Los Angeles, CA

27 Reviews for Shin Bu

Eshter · Married on 07/08/2017

AMAZING!

I am so happy with Shin Bu and the dress fit beautifully. If you want your dress to fit and value comfort and beauty, there is no way you will be disappointed!

If you are looking for a dress that is different than what you can find at a regular bridal store, COME HERE FRIST, not last and save yourself the time and trouble. There are so many other decisions you need to make, this should be the easiest- just go to Shin Bu! I went to about six different places before visiting Shin Bu (Kara Wedding, Aria, Bride Boutique, can't remember the rest). Mistake! Should have gone to Shin Bu. They are so kind and sweet and will make sure that you look and feel beautiful!

You can choose two different dresses
    1. Fully customized made from scratch- designed just for you (can rent or buy)
    2. You can rent an already made dress and have it customized to fit your body and style
    I chose to rent a dress that was already made because it was less expensive. The dress I rented is the one Shelley T. posted.

The things I was looking for in a dress- Shin Bu definitely delivered
    1. sleeves - this was a must for me
    2. comfortable fit - if I am wearing something for twelve hours, comfort is important
    3. value- I wanted to spend about $1,500

Ronda · Married on 12/29/2013

Love them! I made an appointment with them and had a little idea of what I wanted in a wedding dress. The husband said okay let me give you some ideas and he started putting fabric on me and next thing I knew I had an absolutely gorgeous dress. I looooooved my dress. My husband loved my dress and so many guests complimented it. It was affordable too! I am so lucky I found this place. Oh and don't worry if you don't speak Korean because I don't and it was just fine. Love them!! Highly recommend!!

Linda · Married on 10/26/2013

Prior to going to Shin Bu, I went to several designer boutiques and was very close to purchasing one but I didn't LOVE it because of the bottom portion. My friend mentioned Shin Bu so we decided to take a trip to Ktown to check out the dresses. When we arrived, we were impressed with the quality of the dresses. You would have thought they were designer dresses but they were all made by Seo. Seo spent time with me as I showed him pictures of the two dresses I wanted, we ended up combining the top of one dress and the bottom of the other. Because of the design, my custom rental was $2500, $3500 if I wanted to keep it.They also lent me the belt I wore for no additional charge.

Things to keep in mind:
    1) The process is LONG depending on your style. I started in January and the dress was completed the week of my wedding (in October). I went about once a month and then once a week the last month. I really couldn't tell how the dress was turning out until the last two month or so. It is hard, but you have to trust them. Seo and his wife know what they are doing.
    2) Seo and his wife's English is broken English but you can still get by. BUT if you have a Korean friend, it might be helpful to have them come with you every so often. I had my friend come with me for the first appointment and then for a couple other appointments. I needed to have her ask some questions about the color and style of the dress.

Even though the process was long and the drive to K-town was long (coming from Orange County), the dress was worth every penny! I received nonstop compliments on my BEAUTIFUL dress. My now husband even said I could paid $1k more to keep it! I didn't keep it though but still in love with the dress!

LOVE LOVE LOVED my dress! and i miss going to their shop to work on it!
    Mr and Mrs seo are so sweet and so nice and know exactly what they are doing. My dress was amazing and less expensive than the regular store-bought ones. It was fitted to me perfectly and made of genuine silk organza.. not shiny polyester.
    I am so grateful for my gorgeous wedding dress!

People at my wedding couldn't stop talking about how beautiful my dress was. One of the guests called it the most beautiful dress he'd ever seen...which got him in a bit of trouble with his own wife! Lol.

Seo is a master at what he does. He uses only the best materials and will design a dress that looks stunning on you. I was a little worried about the language barrier, since I'm not Korean. But it was okay. He speaks enough English that you can get by, and I always got my point across. I do recommend bringing a translator if you can though. The one time I was able to bring my Korean friend with me, we had the most productive appointment out of all of them. If you don't know any Koreans, no worries, you'll still be fine.

It was so much fun to watch my dress evolve. It ended up a little different than my original idea as we figured out what worked and what didn't. But in the end I was very happy with what Seo created for me. His prices are really reasonable too. (He quoted me $1900 if I returned it, $2800 if I decided to keep it. This included the veil and any accessories I wanted to borrow.)

Two suggestions:

1) He tends to make the hem a little too long (thank you other Yelp reviewers for warning me). You'll need to be adamant that he shorten it a bit so that you don't trip. He won't want to, so you have to insist.

2) Have him show you what he's going to do before he does it. He'll say things like, "Okay, next week we'll work on the ruching." At first I thought he meant we would do it together at the next appointment. What he actually meant was it would be done already. I learned to ask him to pin up the material to give me an idea of what he was planning, before he did it. This might not be a problem for everyone, but I'm not good at imagining what a design will look like without actually seeing it, so I needed previews.

I highly recommend Seo if you decide to custom make your dress. He is not just a dressmaker but an artist.

Karen · Married on 09/07/2013

I came to see Seo about 6 months before my wedding. I was freaking out because I still didn't have a wedding dress...well I had half of a dress. Let me quickly explain how stupid I was - I had a dress that I bought at a designer sample sale which I regretted purchasing immediately after I walked out of the store. So I came to Shinbu and asked Seo to re-make the entire top of the dress. I have to say that Shin Bu was the only vendor who didn't stress me out during my wedding planning process. Seo and his wife were wonderful. I was a little worried in the beginning since I was kind of lost in translation but my dress came out beautiful. They did forget about a pin in the bodice of my dress which my bridesmaid quickly pulled out but I feel like it's not that big of deal. Seo also replaced all the damaged tulled that was originally on the sample that I purchased. My dress ended up looking brand new, and exactly how I had pictured it in my mind. I highly recommend them. If you're a picky bride like me and can't find anything that you truly love at bridal salons then a custom made wedding dress is your answer. Getting a gown custom made will actually get you attached to it. When it's finally completed, it will truly feel like it's "the one" because of the time and effort spent on creating it, and knowing that it was especially made for you just makes it even more special.

C · Married on 05/19/2013

This custom bridal boutique in k-town is run by the sweetest couple.

Mr. Seo made my silk organza a-line dress for me and I cannot tell you how beautiful the dress came out, especially the pick-ups in the back. Mr. Seo may not talk much but he makes the most beautiful dresses. His wife, Mrs. Seo was a very sweet lady, though I didn't speak Korean I loved going to Shin Bu for my monthly fittings and have girlie talks with Mrs. Seo.

The quality of their sewing and style is impeccable. Check it out for yourself. :)

After going to 7 bridal dress shops, I thought that I would never be able to make a decision on a dress without having to spend over $7000. But when I went to Shin Bu, they were able to gauge my style and come up with their own design for me. He has a great eye for design and is extremely detail oriented. I had to go to multiple fittings since they were custom making the dress for me. And when I would notice something I didn't like, he would mention it before I even could.

I LOVED LOVED LOVED my dress and so did my family and friends. I got a lot of compliments on how beautiful my dress was. And what was even greater was that I was able to return it! I got a dress made to fit me perfectly for my one special day. And I don't have to keep it in my closet! You do have the option to buy the dress though. I just personally didn't want it to take up all my closet space.

I HIGHLY recommend Shin Bu! They are extremely professional and reliable. I have at least 5 friends who have all rented their custom made dress from Shin Bu. And we were all happy!!!

Seo and his wife brought my wedding dress to life... What else can I say? Sae creates his own gowns, can create one for you, or alter one of his designs according to your request -- all for a very reasonable price. I will never regret working with Sae for my wedding. Thank you so much!!

THE BEST VENDOR I HAVE WORKED WITH SO FAR. I recommend them to everyone I know. The husband & wife duo are friendly and very organized. They're the only vendor I truly want to thank. When you're planning your wedding, working with great vendors really takes a load off of your back and they're absolute miracle workers. LOVE LOVE LOVE THEM <3

Jane · Married on 05/26/2012

Shin Bu Bridal is a custom dress shop by designer Mr Seo. His sweet wife runs the shop, and will become your confidante. on my first visit, my matron-of-honor & i already loved two gowns. Mrs Seo is not pushy, & encouraged me to come back which i did with another bridesmaid. I ended up making an additional appointment to show my mom the dress.. Yupp 3 appointments before deciding. On my wedding, i wore a dress that had it's own wardrobe change!!
    - pre-ceremony, wore it with a champagne silk sash tied into a huge bow in the back
    - tradditional catholic ceremony, had a long sleeved lace top ala grace kelly (or kate middleton) with the train let out
    - reception, custom made lace belt with the dress bustled up

i did shop around at 5 other Ktown bridal shops, & there was nothing like it.. no one offers dresses with silk of this quality, & no one dare uses french alecon lace on a rental. i loved my dress, i absolutely loved my laced veil, & my two hairpieces.. a beaded lace i wore under the veil for the ceremony, then a pair of fun silk flowers with feathers for the reception. i loved this shop so much, that i took my "getting ready" photos here. Mr & Mrs Seo were both so accomodating, and gracious.

For those who are unaware, all Ktown dress rental shops include the veil & accessory rental, alterations & cleaning. to be the first one to wear the particular dress, there will be a premium.. my friend paid an additional $350 for the shop to hold the dress until she wore it first. This boutique is a bit different from all the other Ktown dress rental shop
    - everything is custom made by Mr Seo, even the samples you try on.
    - you can build a dress from scratch, or even ask them to copy of a designer dress. my friend copied a top from here & bottom from there, and thought her dress was better than the original designer's
    - you can choose to keep the dress, or return it. returning it= rental= save $$ & closet space, which i did & do not regret one bit!
    - each dress can only be worn by 2 brides.. the silk is delicate & can not withstand another wear/ cleaning/ etc. after 2 weddings, these dresses become the sample you try on =)
    - they have a lot more fittings (than other ktown shops) just to make sure the dress is perfect!!
    - they have the poofiest petticoats, which are pretty comfy! hehe
    - it's all quality & perfection. the material is top notch. they only use silk, tulle, & imported french lace

As for pricing, don't quote me on it since each dress is so different. However, here's my honest estimate.. $2000+ for a custom that you keep, & a little less if it's a rental (that you return). if you choose to rent a dress off the rack, it'll be $1200-1500. Also, if the dress has lace, add another $100-300 which depends on the amount of lace. again, the dress price will include the rental of your veil/ accessories/ jewelry.. & all the detailed alterations!

Please make an appointment to check out this adorable dress boutique. if they don't have the dress you love, Mr Seo will design it & Mrs Seo will make sure you have the veil of your dream~

Diana · Married on 03/03/2012

Shin Bu is the place to go to get your wedding dress. You can either buy a new custom made dress from them or you could rent it. I had never heard of this until I had went to Hong Kong on business and found out everyone there does it because they do not have the room to store a wedding gown that you are never going to use after your wedding day. So when I got back to LA, I found a couple of places in Koreatown that rented wedding dresses. Shin Bu was the best. They used the best material (my dress was Italian silk organza) and would custom make your dress exactly to the way you wanted. It is a husband wife team. The husband is the dressmaker and the wife fits you. They are very accommodating and patient, listening to what you want and never seemed irritated at any change I suggested. I started off as a bride that wasn't exactly excited about any wedding dress in particular. They all seemed pretty enough. But when my dress was done, I was in love. I actually didn't want to give it back. Everyone at the wedding told me the dress was so pretty which is expected right? But one of the wait staff who is getting married actually came up to me and asked where I had gotten my dress and wanted to get my same dress. So I knew for sure the dress was as pretty as everyone else said. I would 100% recommend them to anyone looking for a wedding dress, especially if you want a custom made one for an affordable price and are cool with giving it back after. You will not be disappointed.

• Sarah

Sarah · Married on 01/15/2012

It was a lot of hard work and tons of dress fittings but I got the perfect dress for our special day. Shinbu was the best decision that I made. They were able to create a dress that was not only well fit for my body type but also create a design that was referred to as beautiful and stunning over and over again. Our photographers were so happy to have found a bride with a dress that was beyond the common design that they saw over and over again. It was hard work going to so many fittings but it was well worth it. If i had to do it again, I would definitely go back to Shinbu.

• Y

yonghwa oh · Married on 07/02/2011

There is no place like shin bu wedding shop. they gonna make your dreams come true

Cindy · Married on 04/02/2011

AHHMAZING!!! I know so many brides that custom made their dream wedding dress from Shinbu. After my sister had her dress made at Shinbu, I knew there was no other place to go to! Just like wine gets finer with age, so does Shinbu's wedding dress designer's skill. My custom made wedding dress was prettier than my sister's dress!

Wedding dress designer Ho Seok Seo works together with his wife and they are the cutest couple. They will work with you to find your perfect dress and will do everything possible to make sure the dress is just right! They even made more alterations the day before my wedding when I went to pick up my dress because I lost too much weight from my final fitting (three days prior). It's one of the perks of having your dress custom made!

Don't even bother wasting your time going to other places because once you go to Shinbu, you'll find your perfect dress! Shinbu has dresses for every budget. You can rent dresses off their rack or custom make a dress to rent or buy. Thank you Shinbu! I loved my dress!

julie · Married on 02/17/2011

I loved my wedding dress. It was little bit pricy but I would pick that dress again even if I go back to the moment I saw that dress.
    I gain few pounds after I book this dress, but they waited a week more to do fitting while I did diet. Fortunately I was able to fit my body to the dress. Yes!!

Diana · Married on 10/16/2010

Love the dress!~ Mr. & Mrs. Seo did an excellent job.

Joanna · Married on 05/15/2010

I got my dress costume made and I absolutely loved my dress. They will make suggestions for you along the way but create whatever you want. My dress turned out just like what I saw from the designer of the original but for 1/2 the cost and it was perfectly fitted for my body. I did not end up keeping it (I did the costume made where you give your dress back at the end) because I knew I wouldn't need the dress afterwards. But I hope someone else will see it and rent it out for their wedding cuz it was simple and beautiful. I just love the husband and wife team and I wish I could get married again, just so I can use them again. I've recommended them to several ppl and I know a lot of ppl who have used them and never heard anything bad about them. They are top knotch!

David · Married on 04/17/2010

I bought my wedding dress at a monique lhullier's sample sale and took it into shinbu for alterations and some extra changes. It looked perfect! I loved working with the shinbu team.

• O

Aran · Married on 07/24/2009

I loooooooooooved my custom-made dress! I entrusted Ho Seok with the entire dress...my only 2 wishes were that dress make me look skinny and be sparkly. As I saw the dress being constructed, I got more excited about wearing it! When I saw the final product, I was just amazed...it's literally one-of-a-kind. It fit my body perfectly and loved the lace and beading!

Working with Ho Seok and his wife for 8 months was also a pleasure. They're both so easy-going and flexible.

• O

Susan · Married on 03/01/2008

AMAZING. This is a husband and wife shop, where the wife assists her husband, who designs and creates the wedding dresses. He used to work with Jenny Lee, and so his style is impeccable. They are always reachable by phone, he is flexible with his schedule, and the DRESSES. *sigh* the DRESSES. If you can't afford to buy your dress, he'll custom-make one FOR you and then let you rent it, which is what I did. He is AMAZING. Just take a visit to their shop in the heart of K-town, and you'll see for yourself how beautiful his craftsmanship is. SO RECOMMENDED!!! =D

Julia · Married on 03/01/2008

This place was great! They are very very patient and most of all they love what they do and they are very great at it! They custom make the dress from scratch. They care deeply and is very passionate about what they do. The designer is very detailed and will not give up until he gets it right and he works on it until he sees that expression on your face that you approve and you love the dress. It was beautiful!! I got my ceremony dress and my reception dress there and I loved them all! I would recommend and already have to many many people to go here for their dress!

Susie · Married on 10/20/2007

My dress was gorgeous. Be prepared to go in for a fitting every 3 weeks up until your wedding. My wedding was in October and my first fitting began in February/March. Also, sometimes the owner forgets what you want so make sure you continuously remind him! I wanted a modified A-line and he kept telling me he would give it to me, but as the dress was getting close to being done, I noticed it was still a full blown A-line dress. I mentioned it one more time and he then fixed it. That was about 2 months prior to my wedding.

My only real issue with my dress was that it was about an inch too long in the front. I had my final fitting a few days before and should have asked him to hem it, but he assured me that it would be fine. It was a problem during the day of since I kept stepping on the dress...especially during the walk down the aisle. The bustled train also prevented me from executing my dance lessons step by step. It was much longer than expected.

Overall, the style and quality of his work is great. I highly recommend his bridal salon. Just be very assertive w/ him. Shin Bu lends out their crinoline, a darling shrug, hair accessories, veil and jewelry!

Tatiana · Married on 10/21/2006

They are FANTASTIC! The best dress maker. He made my dress exactly how I wanted, with the best materials. I wish I could get married 5 more times (with the same man) just to wear his dresses again.

Tim · Married on 09/18/2011

They do amazing work here. I was introduced to shin bu from another bride and they custom make dresses. I brought in a picture of a dress and they were able to replicate the dress for a fraction of the price. They offered to rent it and gave me an option to purchase it.