Olga's Bridal and Formal Couture Reviews

135 | Raleigh, NC

135 Reviews for Olga's Bridal and Formal Couture

Theresa · Married on 10/11/2014

Remarkable work. She had never seen or worked on a dress like mine- 9 layers of endless tulle and sparkles. Her work was exceptional and she conducted a 15 point bustle that was so easy to do!!

Sent on 10/21/2014

Stephanie · Married on 09/27/2014

Olga is an expert seamstress, a consummate professional and an absolute pleasure to work with. The wedding dress I purchased, though beautiful, was manufactured with flaws and ordered a size too small. Olga worked her magic with me and the dress, to get it to fit perfectly for my big day. She always went the extra mile, is fair and reasonably priced, accessible, and has a fantastic personality. I cannot sing her praises enough. Aim to book far in advance of your fittings, as she is in high demand!!!

Sent on 02/21/2015

Don't let anyone other than Olga touch your wedding dress. She is very popular and hard to book, so get in her calendar the day you buy your dress. I have my degree in textiles so I know a quality seamstress when I see one and Olga is the best. She is also very sweet and will make you feel beautiful, she's the Russian grandmother you wish you had. Even though her schedule was always completely booked, she was still very flexible with me to move appointments around. I live out of state so doing my fittings were a challenge, but she always made it work. There was a lot of intricate work on my bodice and she had to take a lot in, but she make it look perfect. I'm so glad I took my dress to her.

Sent on 12/03/2014

Laura · Married on 08/31/2014

Olga is the BEST when it comes to wedding dress alterations. Seriously, don't take your dress anywhere else. I had my alterations done at the same place where I purchased my dress (out of town), and everything looked fine when I tried it on in the store. Fast forward to 3 weeks before my wedding, when I do my bridal portraits. I realize that the dress is bunching unattractively around the hips whenever I walk more than 10 yards at a time. A little panicked, I start googling around for good wedding gown alterations in the Raleigh area, as I have no free weekends before the wedding to head back to the original shop where I had the dress altered. I wanted someone really good, as there was no more time for trial and error with my wedding date being close. I called Olga, and she told me she was booked through the end of the year. However, when I explained my situation, she very kindly took me on, despite being incredibly busy with brides coming out of the wood work (seriously, she has brides come from as far as West Virginia and Georgia--wow!). She expertly diagnosed the issue with my dress and fixed it. She also discovered that my bustle was very lopsided, and I am so glad she did because it would have looked horrible in photos (I can't believe I left the original shop without looking to make sure the bustle looked good from the back!). Olga finished my dress within the tight time frame and it looked perfect on my wedding day. I was afraid her prices would be through the roof since she is clearly such an expert in her field, but I found them to be fairly reasonable considering the quality of work. I honestly wish I had just taken the dress to her to begin with, because I wouldn't have had to pay for alterations twice. I also took my dress back to Olga after the wedding for preservation, as she contracts with a company that does cleaning and preservation services. My gown is now back at home, perfectly cleaned and packaged. Thank you, Olga!!

Sent on 10/19/2014

I cannot say enough good things about Olga at Olga Alterations. I took a dress to her that someone else had butchered after working on it for five months. It was seriously in pieces and I was too. I asked Olga if it was even fixable or did I need to start dress shopping again. She assured me she could fix it AND SHE DID! Her craftsmanship is exceptional. Her eye for detail is outstanding. She made me feel very special. She even surprised me with a blue flower sewn on the inside hem for my something blue! It was very touching. She is very popular and I can understand why. You definitely have to book her a year in advance! When she finished my dress in February she was already book through November!

Sent on 04/16/2014
  • User2207773 · 2+ years ago

Olga was awesome. I had her put a corset into my wedding dress as well as repair a tear as my dress was the sample. She focused on what would make me the most comfortable on my wedding day and added cups to my dress as well as a simple and unique bustle that goes with the design of my dress. She books up early so if you want to use her don't wait to call.

Sent on 12/03/2013

Lael Eve · Married on 12/21/2013

Olga is a master. With little more than 2 months to go, she tailored both of my bridal gowns to a perfect fit, even offering to take them in more the week of the wedding if I continued to lose "stress weight." She suggested adding extra corset-ing & support solutions I never would have thought about.-my dresses looked perfect and fit comfortably all the way thru the long but wonderful marathon of pictures, hugs kisses & dancing. THANK YOU OLGA! If you can get on her packed schedule-you will not regret it-she is The BEST!

Sent on 04/08/2014

Krysta · Married on 11/03/2013

Summary version: Olga is the best!!! She works magic with her alterations and is honest, meticulous, and thoughtful!

Long version: I ordered my wedding gown from Victorian Rose Bridal (the worst), and when I went for my second fitting learned that no alterations were made. It was three weeks to the wedding day, and the store didn't bother to call to inform me that they didn't alter the dress as promised. I left the store, dress in hand, and searched Yelp and found Olga and her rave reviews.

Olga found things that needed altered that the dress shop didn't see. She made the dress fit perfectly and sewed in a blue flower for good luck. Olga is straight forward in her work, has a keen eye, and delivers on time. She even designs lovely customized gowns and veils. Call her in advance because she is booked solid - I happened to call just after she had a cancellation. I cannot say enough good things about her!

Sent on 10/29/2013

Taryn · Married on 10/11/2013

I cannot say enough good thinks about sweet Olga! She is HANDS DOWN...THE BEST! My wedding is Oct 2013, and I called her Oct 2012 to get an appointment. She was so busy...she really didn't have any openings until Spring 2013. Thankfully, she fit me in on like the day before Thanksiving or something crazy like that. (which, to me, said a lot about her work ethic and desire to make brides happy.) :) I was very impressed from the start.

When you meet her, you can just tell she knows what she is doing. You don't even have to talk or explain what you need--she could probably do it with her eyes closed. Since my first fitting with her, she had me come back to make sure it fit the right way, and then made any other changes as needed. I basically could have as many appointments as I needed until it was 'just right.' Her prices are also very reasonable-considering how great of a job she does!

When my mom wanted to make sure she knew how to bustle my dress properly, Olga allowed my mom and I to come back to her house (she has her business on the side of her house) and she let me take a video of her teaching my mom how to do it. I mean--out of your way customer service! After my bridal portraits, she said I could bring the dress back to her house to get cleaned...which I did. Did I mention how AMAZING my dress looks???! It fits like a glove and I couldn't be more in love with how it fits and looks on me.

My advice to you--if you think there is even a CHANCE of you getting engaged this next year...go ahead and book Olga. You will not regret it, and you will have the most stress-free wedding dress altering experience. (Not to mention, you get to meet Olga and her Ninja kitty!) ;) I am honestly going to miss going over to see her! She is the hidden gem of bridal gown alterations in Raleigh, and you will be very lucky to have her as a part of your special day.

Sent on 08/08/2013

Kristin · Married on 10/06/2013

I cannot say enough positive things about Olga! Olga is sweet, professional, personable, and very punctual, and a life saver! My Monique Lhuilher dress is beautiful alone, but Olga’s transformations to make it truly special and mine were innovative, easy, and beautiful! Olga even created a veil for me when mine came in all wrong that I ordered on Etsy! Olga is very talented and has a good eye to make your day even more breathless. Olga is very flexible and knows how to fix all blunders and put a smile on your face in the process. Thank you Olga!

Sent on 10/28/2013

Joy · Married on 10/05/2013

LOVE Olga! She is the best! No need to consider anyone else in the Raleigh area for alterations! She is great at what she does and aims to please! Thanks Olga for making my lace dress even more beautiful than I could have expected!

Sent on 10/15/2013

I must sing the praises of Olga who did my daughter’s bridal gown alterations. We found Olga when we were researching bridal gowns on the web about a year before the wedding date. I read other peoples reviews as to how wonderful Olga was and decided to book appointments with her as soon as my daughter chose her dress. We knew almost any dress would need alterations, as my daughter is quite petite.
    The gown was made of a heavy satin-like fabric layered with a beautiful ivory organza on the top that has lacework and beading for about 4 inches along the edge of the dress hem and on the bodice. We were worried that we might have to lose all the pretty details on the bottom edge when getting the dress shortened. Well, not to worry, Olga did amazing work, she figured out a way to shorten the dress that allowed her to save all the details of the top layer. She really engineered this dress so very little alteration had to be done to it by tucking and tacking fabric up. We had her remove the very heavy under-fabric of the long train for my daughter so it wouldn’t weigh her down during the rest of the evening. That worked perfectly! Olga also insisted to add inside cups to the dress, eliminating the need for an expensive and painful undergarment…that made the bride jump for joy! The bustling worked perfectly and the bride and groom danced the night away! Thank you, Olga you’re the best!

Sent on 10/16/2013

Anna · Married on 08/10/2013

Olga is a magician. I love her so much and would recommend her to everyone! I found her on wedding wire and am so glad I worked with her. When I brought her my dress, quite a lot of intricate work had to be done to shorten my multi-layer lace dress. She also had to remove the bodice boning to take in the dress. I loved the dress when I brought it to her, but when I left the final fitting, I was in love with the dress on me! She works wonders and is the kindest older lady you will ever meet. I already have my BMs who aren't engaged planning to use her. Be advised she books up way in advance. I booked her 12 months before my wedding and she barely squeezed me in. She is the best tailor in the triangle and the best value. I plan to recommend her to all my friend and I am taking my wedding dress to her next week for preservation.

Sent on 06/04/2014

Elena · Married on 08/03/2013

Olga is amazing. She helped me restore and alter a dress from the early 1900s and now it fits perfectly and looks great. She's also a joy to work with and it very reasonable with her prices. She is very busy so I would suggest getting on her list very early. I can't recommend her enough!!

Sent on 01/31/2013

ASHLEY · Married on 06/08/2013

Olga is the only person you should take your gown to for alterations! She was outstanding! I am very petite and she was able to transform my enormous dress into something amazing. She made a beautiful bustle (it took 10 points - 5 for the lining and 5 for the lace). Then she surprised me with a tiny blue bow under the lining for good luck. It really was a pleasure working with her and I will recommend her to everyone I know.

Sent on 05/28/2013

Erica · Married on 06/01/2013

I had heard about Olga from a co-worker, who used her services almost 8 years ago. I immediately contacted Olga, before my dress had even been delivered as I read that Olga tends to fill up quickly (this was back in October). When I called, Olga told me that she was booked up until MAY (my wedding was June 1). I think she could tell I was very disappointed that she wouldn't be able to help me with my bridal alterations, so she asked what I needed to have done - just a bustle and have a sash sewn in. She told me that she could squeeze me in and to come in December for my first fitting.

After just a couple of weeks, the dress was ready!! Olga did an AMAZING job. Not only was she very professional and polite, but she made the most beautiful bustle. She was very reasonably priced, and accommodating to my schedule. I am SO pleased with Olga, she is truly an artist! Oh, and because the top of my dress didn't didn't fit my chest size perfectly, she offered to alter the dress and have it ready the next day. It wasn't something I would have thought to have done, but she truly cares about each bride she works with and wants their dress to be perfect.

Thank you, Olga!!!!!!!!!

Sent on 01/27/2013

My daughter lived in Birmingham AL and had purchased her Augusta Jones wedding dress through Carriage House there. It had been altered by their seamstress with four different fittings; I picked the dress up from that seamstress in February. In March when it was time for my daughter's bridal portraits, she put the dress on and it did not fit correctly anywhere and she could barely walk in it because something was wrong with all the linings inside the dress. There was no way she could get married in the dress, and I did not trust the previous seamstress to touch it again! My daughter had moved to Raleigh and we needed to find someone in that area to perform a miracle on her dress. After googling and doing research, I found Olga! We contacted her and she was not sure she would be able to help us because she is so booked up, but she agreed that my daughter could bring the dress and she would look at it. My daughter took it the dress, and Olga showed her all the things that the previous seamstress had done that had pretty much ruined the way the dress would fit my daughter. It was so bad that she told my daughter she would not begin sewing on it until I came to Raleigh for her to show me everything wrong with the dress. (I live in GA) I made the trip to Raleigh, she showed me all the things wrong and it was overwhelming. Basically, she would need to take the dress apart totally and put it back together. Also, the previous seamstress had made a mess out of the lace hem and the bustle! The wedding was less than 8 weeks away, and Olga was totally booked! She agreed to take on my daughter’s dress. My daughter had three fittings with Olga, and Olga performed a miracle on my daughter's dress! The dress fits her perfectly! She also made a new bustle system for the dress, had to remake the bust of the dress, along with fixing all the linings and the lace hem that had been messed up by the previous seamstress. OLGA IS AMAZING AND SHE SAVED MY DAUGHTER'S WEDDING DRESS!

Sent on 05/19/2013
  • Heather

Heather · Married on 05/19/2013

Olga has been by far the nicest vendor I have dealt with while planning my wedding. I saw all the amazing reviews on her service and had my Mother call and set up an appt. She said she was booked up until after my wedding, we were very disappointed. But within 20min she called back and said she would squeeze us in to make sure my dress would be done before my wedding!
    Olga did an AMAZING job. Made my dress 10x better then it was. Im in love with it! I can't thank her enough. She even allowed me to buy one of her veils to match my dress perfectly at a discounted price. We couldn't be happier with her services!

Sent on 01/28/2013
  • Samantha

Samantha · Married on 05/04/2013

Olga is the best you can get in this area. All the reviews are accurate and she is wonderful. She can make it happen whatever you need done for alterations for your wedding dress. She knows what she is doing and will give honest feedback about what will work and what will not.
    I also had her make garters for me and they were beautiful. She took left over material from my dress and created 2 cute garters. Her prices are amazing and she is very prompt on her alterations. She also steamed my dress before the big day!

Olga is the best but she is very busy so call her immediately when you know you are getting married.

Samantha Badgley

Sent on 05/12/2013

Ashley · Married on 03/16/2013

Olga is the greatest! My dress was ordered a little big for me, so she hemmed the bottom up, added cups, and added a bustle. It looks perfect now! She even sewed a little blue bow on the underneath side of the skirt for my something blue :) Olga is so sweet and really works to make sure you're happy with the end result. The price she charged me was well below what I was expecting to pay. Make sure you call WAY in advance to make sure she can fit you in. She books up quick!

Sent on 02/04/2013

Lindsay · Married on 03/10/2013

I looked on wedding wire to find someone to do my wedding dress alterations and I found Olga. I am so happy that I picked her. Not only is her work amazing she is so funny! I took my dress to her and she totally re invented my dress. I had a friend come in from Atlanta and she saw the dress before and after and she could not beleive how good Olga was. If you want a guaranteed beautiful dress she is the one. I think the review that was bad was written by mistake bc that can't be Olga. Honestly its probably a competitor who is mad that Olga is so good.

Sent on 01/30/2013

I was fortunate to find Olga via Weddingwire, I was impressed by all the positive reviews, which were all later confirmed.

I bought my dress online. After it arrived, I noticed that the number of loops on the lace corset was not right and it wouldn't line up when laced up.
    At the first fitting, Olga was frank with me and told me that in order to fix the number of loops she should have to take the dress apart and this would have resulted in a lot more work. Instead, she offered to experiment with the dress until the next fitting. Olga was able to find a way that did not require complete restructuring of the corset but would make the dress close nicely and evenly. It was a pleasant surprise that saved me easily a few hundred dollars.
    My dress was strapless, so to make sure it sits in place she sewed in a bra band which was very comfortable and kept the dress in place through the wedding day
    I also wanted to add a jacket or sleeves to my dress, since my wedding was in Canada and it was quite cold there in April. Olga came up with a beautiful lace jacket that matched my dress perfectly.

It was such a pleasure working with Olga. She is very kind and thoughtful. Her work and creativity are exceptional.
    Her pricing is very competitive and she was always upfront with me about all the costs.
    During the first fitting she told me the price per foot she would charge for adjusting the length of the skirt and the total price she would give me after she measured it.
    During the next fitting she had the total number of feet and we just multiplied it by price per foot. I had a long skirt with three layers which added up to over 50 feet of material.

She did all the work on my dress - with only three fittings and it came out perfect.

Sent on 01/28/2013

Anna · Married on 11/01/2012

Olga made my wedding dress dreams come true. I had an idea for a tea length dress and couldn't find it anywhere. I bought her a very plain dress was 8 sizes too large and she made it my dream dress. I could not have asked for a more perfect dress. To see photos visit greenweddingshoes.com/land-of-oz-wedding-anna-brandon/ and blog.brettjessica.com/land-of-oz-beech-mountain-wedding/

Sent on 11/28/2012

Well, after reading several reviews online I decided Olga was the ONLY person to go to in Raleigh. She did not let me down. I had a little bit of dress regret at first, but once Olga got her hands on my dress I absolutely LOVED it. She is very matter of fact as people have said and you have to expect that, but she knows what she is doing. I’m not sure how she compares price wise, but I have to say that I felt like the cost of my alterations were reasonable and about what I would expect for what she did.

Sent on 11/11/2012
  • Shannon

Shannon · Married on 10/13/2012

Olga is the BEST!!!!! She is so funny and so kind! I am going to miss my alterations appts with her! DO NOT let anyone else alter your dress. Olga can work with any dress, any fabric, and any requests. I can't say enough good things about her!

Sent on 10/10/2012