Michael's Eighth Avenue Reviews

Michael's Eighth Avenue 6
Michael's Eighth Avenue 7

Pamela · Married on 06/14/2014

3.0

We couldn't be happier with how things turned out for our wedding! There were some hiccups during the engagement when trying to plan the wedding as our consultants kept getting switched up, but by the end we were in contact with a few main people and they made sure everything went as smoothly as possible! Would definitely recommend to others! Wish I could live the night all over again b/c it went so fast! Everything Michael's promised, they produced, even when it came to being flexible and giving us options! Thanks Michael's!

Sent on 06/25/2014
  • R&R

Rhonda · Married on 04/25/2009

3.5

chose Michael's Eighth Avenue in Glen Burnie, Maryland as our reception venue based on a trusted recommendation. The staff were very nice and professional, and very easy to work with. They were also very accommodating of our needs and any special request we had. They are very good about not "nickel and dime-ing" you. When I realized my attendance numbers were growing, they suggested I expand to a full room, rather than a half room and no additional charge even though I would not meet the minimum head-count for that size room. They also allowed me to add a cash bar at no additional charge to compensate for the vegetarian meals (they charge the same amount for a veggie meal as they would a full meat entree).

On the day of the reception, Connie - our Maître 'd was very accommodating and attentive. They took special care to follow my instructions for setting up the cake table, gift table, and favors to the detail. The only "issue" I had with this vendor was the quality of the entrees. I ordered the Prime Rib as one of my entree selections, and many of my guests complained that their meat was cold and "bloody", when I specifically asked for it to be prepared at a well-done temperature. In addition, they did not "serve" the wedding cake to each guest, but rather displayed it in slices wrapped in paper towels at the entrance/exit door for guests to take home.

All in all, I would recommend Michael's Eighth Avenue for receptions/catering. You can't beat the customer service, location, and price!

Sent on 05/19/2009

Laura · Married on 09/20/2007

This place is beautiful and I did have some requests that I didn't think they would be able to pull off, and they did it with no problem. They also had a list of people who could do the wedding cake and the person I picked did a beautiful job!! The food was great!!

Sent on 01/16/2008

teresa · Married on 07/04/2015

3.8
      3.0

Venue was pretty okay. My hired planner (Riley Weddings) made it great.

Sent on 12/14/2016

3.5

My new husband and I had a great time and really appreciate the staff going above and beyond to make our event very special.

Sent on 06/15/2015

2.0

There were a significant amount of issues at our reception that could have been avoided had Michael's Eighth been better prepared and fully staffed our event.

1. We were originally afforded 2 hours before the event for set up. It was expressed that this was nearly not enough time to decorate. Thankfully, after multiple requests, they extended our set up time. Michael's Eighth agreed to put together the centerpieces providing we supply a picture and the materials. The centerpieces looked nothing like we depicted them, even though we sent help to demonstrate how they should be assembled on the morning of the event. They were put together haphazardly, and looked skimpy. Only to find out that many of the flowers were left in their fridge unused! We received an apology because "the staff ran out of time."
    2. The food preparation was late, and our vegetarian guests did not eat until the other guests were done their main course
    3. The staff responsiveness to our concerns was weak, and made us feel at times that our event was on the backburner (they had another wedding on the same day). To date, we still have not been able to speak to the manager about these concerns.
    4. One of the servers smelled of marijuana.
    5. Pros: The catering department did well accomodating our cultural dish requests and the cake they made was beautiful/tasty! Connie, is the best Maitre D ever! She even packed up food for us to take home! She was so attentive and seemed to be one of few who took their job very seriously. If the day was better staffed, things would have run much smoother.
    6. Advice: Caution if you have your wedding on anyone else's date, if you do share your event date with another couple, plan to take pictures elsewhere-use of the garden is not guaranteed! Make sure you send some help/supervision to stick around until everything is setup if you're a DIY type, and ask how your event will be staffed and get names. Hope this is helpful!

Sent on 07/20/2016

Theresa · Married on 10/09/2010

2.6
      2.5
      2.5
      3.0

I was very disappointed with Michael's Eigth Avenue. My wedding was on Oct 9, 2010, and Michaels's had a full house this day with other weddings. I felt like we were rushed through our reception because the overbooked for this date. I had the buffet dinner and the carving station. They never announced when they were taking the food away. The staff was very quick at clearing off the table, they were taking things off the table and the guest were not finished eating. The reception was to end at 6:00, at 5:10 if you weren't holding on to your plate it got thrown out. Not only were they throwing out the food and drinks but they also grabbed any wedding favors that were on the table and put them in the trash also. I also had paid for the Ice Cream Bar and out 130 people only 3 people knew about the Ice Cream Bar because it was not announced that it was available. The only reason 3 people did see it was because they happen to be there when it was set up in the back of the room. Exactly 6:00 they flicked the lights off and then back on to get everyone out of the ballroom. I asked about taking food that was left over and was told that I could not have it due to Health Dept rules. Okay maybe so, but I was also told that they would be sure to have a plate made for the Bride and Groom because the know that there really isn't time for the Bride and Groom to enjoy dinner, needless to say they never gave us a to go bag. I feel that with the money that they were paid they could have been more respectful and courteous to us. I emailed Michael's Eigth Avenue twice to at least get an apology - wishful thinking they never responded to my emails.

Sent on 12/04/2010
  • Ashley

Ashley · Married on 06/07/2014

2.4
      1.0
      1.0

Beautiful Garden area but beware of staff

This venue has an amazing garden area we had for our ceremony. The issue that I had was with the staff. Items were not setup properly for the ceremony even though there were both instructions and pictures of each set up. When we arrived the next day to pick up our items many of the frames and other items were broken and stuffed into a closet. The buffet food and cake was delicious, however our guests were told that the could not get seconds and could not have anymore from the dessert bar because it was being given to charity. We had 6 guests missing so there was plenty of food/desserts left over. Lastly, our cake that was leftover was wrapped for guests on cheap napkins, and was disgustingly soggy after about 10mins of being wrapped in a napkin. For the price I would have expected the cake to be at least wrapped in serane wrap. When we notified the coordinator we were told that our items were already broken and that they always wrap the leftover cake in napkins and that no one ever complained before. Needless to say that I don’t think that this issue will be resolved however I at least wanted other brides to be aware.

Sent on 05/20/2019

Michael's Eighth Avenue's reply:

We are glad you enjoyed our venue and food, but we are disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. We will reach out to you to resolve your concerns.