Lavender Hill Weddings + Events Reviews

22 | Madison, WI

22 Reviews for Lavender Hill Weddings + Events

Megan · Married on 10/18/2014

Jenny has a magnetic and creative personality which made her wonderful to work with. She spent time getting to know my husband and I, our family dynamics and how we envisioned our wedding which lead to her helping us create an event that truly reflected us as a couple.

Jenny has connections with several fantastic vendors in the area and lead us to our DJ, venue and Photographer. She was able to match our personalities with the vendors best suited for our personalities. This made the planning process less overwhelming because we could trust these vendors were professionals and really wanted to make our day special and fun for our guests.

The day of the wedding, Jenny made the whole event run smoothly by keeping in sync with the us, the wedding party, vendors, and reading the crowd. Jenny managed all the moving parts effortlessly all the while being engaging and joking around. She had this amazing ability to appear the moment we had questions or needed help. We were was incredible grateful to have Jenny involved, she gained our trust which allowed us to truly enjoy our wedding day.

Tom · Married on 06/20/2014

Jennifer was AWESOME. We created a three day celebration event that she coordinated flawlessly. It was obvious to us at our interview that she has done this event in a multitude of ways and would be flexible in our planning. She is creative, has great connections and delivered our events well beyond our expectations. We trusted her from the get go and she only got better. Her business maturity allows her to adapt to many people types and quite simply easy to work with. She was worth every penny and then some. She is the EASY button to wedding planning. Celebrate the planning process and leave the details up to Lavender, and trust her. She delivers on her promise.

How do we begin to put into words how much we love Jenny. Hiring her for our wedding was the best decision we made (aside from marrying each other, of course). We were determined to have a Madison, WI wedding but moved to North Carolina about a year before the wedding. Upon moving, I quickly realized I was in over my head planning a long distance wedding. I had met Jenny at a bridal show and decided to see if she was still available. She was! The beauty of working with her was that she could take my small vision and the scattered ideas that I had and branch out and come up with AMAZING ideas. I don’t know how she does it but she has a solution to everything…immediately. She was clearly born to be a wedding planner! She directed us to good options as far as vendors, décor, color choices, etc but made us feel comfortable telling her if we didn’t like something or were thinking of going in another direction. She took all of the stress off of us in the weeks leading up to the wedding and on the day of, we were completely relaxed and unaware of any problems that arose (i.e. the cake getting rear ended on the way to the reception! It still got there in time and we never would have known because it looked awesome!). She has fantastic contacts in Madison and I would highly recommend taking some (or all!) of her vendor recommendations (ie DJ, florist, and cake). She is so creative and easy to work with. Not to mention how much time she spent responding to my emails and frantic texts. She was more than a planner to us – she was a friend, a therapist, and she is not afraid to lay down the law with wedding guests who have the potential to disrupt the wedding. We had an amazing, smooth wedding day that people will be talking about for years to come. We love you Jenny!

Sara and Joe

I don't know how we would have done it without Jenny and her team! She helped us coordinate not only the day of (and month of..) details, but also helped to make sure everything went off without a hitch! She is creative and organized and because of her we were able to enjoy our wedding day without a care in the world.

David · Married on 10/05/2013

Jenny was all kinds of fantastic. Planning a wedding, with or without a planner, is hectic. What Jenny offers is a keen sense of continuity and stability throughout the process, wrapped up in a package that is equal parts big sister, intuitive designer, slap-stick comedian, and bulldog.

Planning a wedding feels like you're in the middle of a tornado, but on our wedding day, everything fell into place exactly as it should. The day was seamless, joyful, and despite the preceding chaos, deeply peaceful and beautiful. It was so in no small part due to Jenny's expert guidance, attention to detail, and most of all, to the personal attention she pays each her clients.

I cannot recommend Jenny Sligh and Lavender Hill highly enough.

Matt · Married on 08/31/2013

Working with Lavender Hill was a wonderful experience! Jenny took our loose collection of ideas and wove them together into a fabulous wedding. She delivered exactly what we asked for and more. Her recommendations of other vendors was spot on as well. Jenny took care of all the details so that we could spend the day enjoying ourselves, not stressing out. We grew very close to Jenny and she feels like a friend, not just our wedding planner. It felt a little bittersweet when everything was said and done. Good thing we have other parties to plan!

Angie · Married on 06/01/2013

We hired Jenny last summer to plan our June 2013 wedding at the Milford Hills Hunt Club. Since we live out of state, we needed Jenny to do most of our coordinating, planning, and meeting with vendors. Jenny went above and beyond our expectations. The amount of time she must have spent immediately responding to my millions of emails and text messages was endless. She was a true pleasure to work with, she was always upbeat and positive, which is exactly what I needed since it was a little nerve wracking planning a wedding hundreds of miles away. If I had a question, Jenny answered it or had a way to get the answer. She listened to what we wanted for our wedding day from the venue to the color of the napkins. She also had great recommendations for florists, djs, bakeries, etc.
    The week of the wedding was as stress-free as it could've been. Even when my makeup and hair trial runs weren't exactly what I was looking for, Jenny pulled the ultimate wedding planner move. She told me not to panic as she started calling her back-up "Big Dogs". She saved the day once again by hooking me up with her wonderful stylists. The wedding day was absolutely perfect. Jenny had everything under control from start to finish. I've told people that if something did go wrong, I didn't know about it because Jenny was there to smooth everything out behind the scenes. I've had so many compliments on how smooth the day was and how beautiful the entire wedding was. I only have one person to thank for letting me have a stress-free and flawless wedding day. Jenny, you are THE BEST wedding planner out there and it was our pleasure to work with you!! Love, Angie and Jeramie (Orchids and Antlers) :)

Erika · Married on 10/27/2012

Very thoughtful. She took the time to get to know my fiance and I, and really listened to our needs!

Josh · Married on 09/08/2012

I had the opportunity to work with Jenny back in September for a wedding out at the Lussier Family Heritage Center, and I must say that she was the BEST wedding planner I've ever worked with. She was very easy to work with from start to finish. She was very communicative about what she needed and what was needed to ensure that the bride and groom had the night of their life. As a DJ, I handle a lot of the "wedding planner tasks" myself from putting together an itinerary to handling the flow events during dinner and more. Jenny was on top of all of that, which allowed me to focus on doing what I do best...DJing! She kept things on time throughout the entire evening without being too overbearing and even offered to get me drinks during times of the night where it was clear that I wasn't getting out from behind the DJ booth anytime soon. I would highly recommend her to anyone considering hiring a wedding planner for their big day!

Josh B Kuhl
    Owner, B Kuhl Entertainment

• User2651971 · 2+ years ago

Jenny is simply amazing! A lot of time and money can go into planning your wedding, and Jenny will make sure the the day will go perfectly and you can relax and enjoy it.
    I wasn't always convinced that I needed a coordinator for my wedding. My MOH said no way, and my fiancé said absolutely. We initially hired Jenny more as peace of mind, just so I could know that I wasn't flying solo the weekend of the wedding. I didn't want to be the bride tying bows on the pews at 3am before the wedding. I had a plan, I knew what I wanted, I just didn't want to have to do anything the weekend of the wedding other than spend time with friends and families. I am also from out-of-state and we picked a rural venue outside Madison.
    So Jenny had some big challenges - out-of-state bride who wanted to get married in the countryside, build a reception site from the ground up, and wanted things just so. And Jenny rose to the challenge, and then some. She is enthusiastic, energetic, and gets the job done. No matter what came up, she'd say, I'll handle it, and she did. When we needed some replacement vendors at the last minute, she had no problem pulling things together. You try finding a fussy bride a new hair-and-makeup person in rural Wisconsin 3 weeks before the wedding, and make a trial run happen too. She was tireless, dedicated, and made my wedding the most amazing and magical weekend of my life. That is a day I can never do over, and thanks to Jenny, I never want to. My (new) husband and I agree that next to getting married, hiring Jenny was the second best decision we made.

Erin · Married on 08/18/2012

Let me start this review by saying that I was one of those brides who swore I didn’t need a wedding planner. I thought I knew exactly what I wanted, I’m organized, and I love planning. However, four months before my wedding after too many sleepless night wondering how I was going to get chairs from the ceremony to our reception next door without having to rent two separate sets of chairs, I found myself looking for some help. Jenny was amazing from the very first inquiry. She called in response to my online inquiry within an hour. She listed off everything included in the package, and I thought, well if she can do half the things she says she can, she’s so worth this! WOW was I underestimating her abilities. She went above and beyond anything I could have expected. Not to mention, I just LOVED working with her. She was bubbly, helpful, creative. It is clear that she loves her job, and she will do anything to make sure your day goes smoothly. I can honestly say that my wedding would not have been the amazing, perfect day that it was without Jenny. She is the reason things ran smoothly, and that I was able to relax and completely enjoy the day with my husband, friends and family. My only regret was that I didn’t find her earlier in the process!

Nichol · Married on 06/15/2012

I can't thank Jenny enough for all her hard work on our wedding day and the 30 days before! This was probably the best money spent and I can't imagine going through the process without her. Jenny was always there when we needed her, answered any weird question or request we had, calmed my mother off the ledge when she backed into a pole on her way to the ceremony, made sure I had food the morning of my wedding, bought me my "special drink" from my favorite coffee shop and all around kept everything running smoothly. I was recently in a friends wedding that didn't use a planner and I so missed the guidance and organization that Jenny provided. I highly recommend Jenny and her team!

Chantel · Married on 04/28/2012

We planned a wedding in less than 5 months, and that was thanks to Jenny Sligh at Lavender Hill Events. We don't live in Madison, so her availability to make and attend appointments on our behalf, check out venues, make calls, and purchase necessities at all times throughout the planning and wedding day were invaluable. She also made it seem simple, which created less stress for us. Jenny's design background and creative aesthetic helped us to move from picking the venue to walking down the aisle with class and organization. She has three plans to fit any bride and groom and she is flexible and willing to help, in addition to being positive and making your wedding day the most fun for you and your guests. She is an excellent wedding planner.

Jennifer · Married on 09/07/2013

We worked with Jenny for our wedding. We had selected her largest planning package. Because she spent the time getting to know us as a couple, I only had to meet with a limited number of vendors. In fact in most cases the first florist, photographer, etc. fit our needs perfectly. I also didn't have to worry about the quality of the vendors because of her involvement. I believe Jenny has an amazing talent for putting together a concept. She works hard and she really cares. I could not have dreamt up the amazing, beautiful day she helped us create.

Rachel · Married on 09/08/2012

We hired Jenny from Lavender Hill Events about seven months before our wedding to be a day-of-coordinator. At our initial meeting, her happiness and enthusiasm were contagious. She had a big, friendly personality, and we felt comfortable with her right away. She seemed genuinely excited about all of our plans and ideas. We met with her again about a month out. In hindsight, I wish this meeting was earlier or that we hired her for more than just a DOC. Jenny helped me reorganize my original plans and figure out how to implement them practically. Two weeks out, we met for a walk through and spent the day planning. We ended up hiring Jenny to do a bit more than her typical DOC duties, and she stepped right up and took the reins; she was awesome. In the two weeks before the wedding, she helped me reorganize the seating chart, ordered rentals we had overlooked, helped with DIY crafts, kept my mom from going crazy, dealt with all the vendors and organized a drop-off/pick-up schedule, and created a detailed schedule of the wedding day and the days leading up to it, not to mention a million other little things she pulled together. She also had the daunting task to wrangle my huge wedding party full of rowdy guys and little kids. She pulled it off expertly. We used her studio space for the girls to get ready, and it worked out wonderfully. I don’t know how she accomplished everything the day of the wedding. She completely set up and decorated the entire ceremony and reception space in one morning, and it was absolutely beautiful. She was even stung (and was allergic!) and got it all done with limited use of one arm. The best thing about Jenny is that she can handle anything and makes the day go by so smoothly, even if it doesn't She treated us like VIPs and never let us know if she was stressed or if something was going wrong behind the scenes. We even ran ahead of schedule throughout the day. She even went above and beyond and spent hours cleaning up the reception space.

Leigh · Married on 09/27/2014

I won't lie, I was one of those people that thought, "Who needs a wedding planner? That's just extravagant." My fiance and I had gone through and hired our vendors without much trouble, had a pretty clear vision for the feel and look for our wedding, and generally felt on top of our game. That's when I started to think about logistics. How does "x" get set up at the wedding? Who is going to be the go to person for vendor arrivals? How should we schedule wedding day? That's when I realized, we might need some help. Cue Jenny (Lavender Hill Events).

We hired Jenny as our day-of-coordinator, but really she did much more than just show up on wedding day to help things flow so we could focus on the important task of getting married. Jenny helped with our timeline, executed rehearsal, did a fabulous job helping with flowers, and was the captain of our wedding ship. She ran the day so well, but it never felt like she was taking over our celebration. She was present when we needed her to be but stealthy behind the scenes as well. Honestly, I lost track of everything she was doing. Having her allowed my now husband and I to get lost in being present on our wedding day. Not only does Jenny get the job done when it comes to managing the day, she's so enjoyable to be around, which makes a big difference. You know that cool aunt you have that is a rocking combo of mysteriously on top of her game, but also super fun? Yeah, that's Jenny.

Could we have managed without her? Probably. Would we have had our magical, relatively stress-free wedding day without her? Definitely not.

If you're hesitating about hiring Jenny, please don't. Just trust her. She really came through for us, especially on wedding day, and we couldn't be happier with how everything turned out. Thank you, Jenny! We <3 you!

Jenny with Lavender Hill is spectacular. We live out of state and to plan a wedding as beautiful as the one we had from far way would have been next to impossible without Jenny. She was literally a God send. It was wonderful to have someone to attend meetings, plan things and put together details for us. She saved us hundreds of dollars in trips home. She is also a wedding budget expert. She out budgeted my financial planner mother and was able to help us to bring down costs in unexpected areas. She had my mother from that moment on. She did an amazing job of making sure that all of the different personalities involved in this type of event were addressed and everyone went into the day feeling happy and went out of the day feeling even better. Her interior design skills definitely lend to her wedding planning as our reception space and decorations were somewhat of a surprise to us. She took our ideas and preferences and turned them into something even better than we could have imagined. She spent the night bustling and rebustling my dress when it kept falling apart. She made sure that literally everything was perfect. Our wedding was nothing short of a dream and we have Jenny to thank for how wonderful everything turned out. Our wedding day was unforgettable thanks to Jenny. I would most definitely recommend her to anyone planning a wedding. If you think it might not be worth the money, think again. She is worth her salary and more.

This is a general review of Lavender Hill Events from me, the caterer of the wedding, in a direct email to Jenny at Lavender Hill:

"Congratulations on a fantastic event. I thought it was really slick how you kept the event rolling, for example, having the first dance right away, kicking off the toasts, and even cutting the cake while guests were still eating. I've seen a lot of weddings and this one seemed to be the most well thought-out. Otherwise there are these wasted time periods where guests are sort of looking around for the next thing to do. Your schedule had them interested and engaged the entire time."

Paige · Married on 09/14/2013

Had an overall great experience working with Jenny.

Ben & Karla · Married on 08/31/2013

It has been one year since the best day/weekend of our lives. After lots of reflection on what made our wedding weekend so special, I have come to two conclusions. 1. Don't go into this without some sort of idea and plan that makes this event about YOU the couple. Not your mother, or your mother in law, but about YOU the couple. 2. Don't do this with out Jenny Sligh and Lavender Hill Events.

By the time we decided that we didn't want to continue down the path of planning on our own, we had a long meeting with Jenny. Jenny made us realize the details that we were missing with out planning and that someone like her could take our ideas, spin them with her creative yarn and produce exactly what we were planning. And if it was exactly the way we wanted it, it was usually better.

Where there issues along the way to wedding day? Sure, but when you bring in over 100 guests and have multiple vendors, contracts and all the other moving pieces something is bound to happen. It isn't that something happens where mistakes are made, it is the response. And Jenny was always there with a solution. Even better, if something did happen, I didn't know about it until after the big day. Jenny and her team took great care to make sure that my wife and I could focus on everything that made our wedding special to us (out of town guests, local spotlight on food and vendors, great music and the best damn party on State Street that night.)

When people look at weddings they are always thinking budget, budget budget. Folks, hire Jenny, the bang you will get for your buck is far greater than anything else you are considering. Jenny and her team did it, they gave us the best weekend of our lives and we soaked in the magic of a beautiful wedding weekend. To me, it is the way I always imagined. Thanks Jenny, we are very grateful.

Paulina · Married on 09/12/2015

0.6
      1.0
      1.0
      0.5

When we first met Jenny in April, we were nervous b/c we wanted a 9/12/15 wedding. She assured us this was doable. We sent our deposit in around May 15. After 2 weeks of not hearing back, I checked in via text on May 28. I did not hear back until June 4, when a mass e-mail was sent from Jenny to her clients apologizing for her absence and listing days in June that she would be unavailable. I continued to wait to hear from her, hoping she was doing work behind the scenes. On June 28, I again called and texted since I hadn't even sent out RSVPs b/c we still didn't have a venue. I did not hear back. On July 7, I sent an urgent e-mail requesting that she contact me. On July 11 (Sat), I received a response: "Hello. I apologize for my absence. I will be in touch Sunday evening." I did not hear from her until July 15 (Wed), after calling and leaving another msg. With less than 2 months to go, I received an e-mail from Jenny, who said that her work had been affected by personal and professional issues and that she was "putting systems in place to get everything on track." She offered us two options: Plow ahead or get our deposit back. She ended her e-mail with "I am so sorry for how I have handled this." We asked for our deposit back.

It is hard to express how deflated, frustrated, and betrayed I felt, especially since my fiance and I had a hard enough time convincing ourselves to hire a planner in the first place. Further, after our initial meeting in April, we had our work and vacation schedules made around a September wedding, which now seemed like a pipe dream.

I understand that wedding planners are human, and life happens. Still, Jenny should've contacted us as soon as she knew she was in trouble to give us the out so that we could hire someone else. Waiting 2 months and ignoring a client's many attempts to reach you is NOT how you run a business, especially when your business is helping to create one of the most memorable days in a couple's life.

Bessie · Married on 07/02/2016

0.4
      0.5

Things started off pretty well. Jenny gave a great first impression and made it seem like she was our perfect planner. We skyped a couple of times and wrote a few emails back and forth about important stuff. As we live in Australia and were having the wedding in Wisconsin, communication wasn't the easiest. And we felt that a planner was absolutely necessary considering neither of us had ever actually even lived in Wisconsin (I just have a lot of family there).
    But once we paid Jenny, 10 months in advance, she went MIA. She maybe answered one or two emails over the next 5 months, apologizing, making weird excuses, and saying she was ready to keep working on it. 5 months to the wedding came along and I was still trying to pester this woman, hoping she would turn things around. Of course she didn't. She cut all lines of communication. I ended up planning the whole thing by myself and although it was a lot of work, the day turned out better than I could have ever imagined and I am so glad that she wasn't a part of it. She never even paid us back! Thankfully our bank got on her about it and forced her to pay the money back. I would not recommend anyone do business with this woman in any way, shape, or form.