Fusions Cuisine

Fusions Cuisine

Bringing Fine Dining to Catering

Ashburn, VA 20148 | map
Catering services: Buffet, Cocktail Reception, Family Style, Hors d'oeu...
Maximum capacity: 1000
Bar services: Limited Bar, Open Bar
Alcohol services: Champagne Toast, House Beer, House Wine, Premium Liq...

Quality of Service:
(4.9 / 5.0)
Flexibility:
(5.0 / 5.0)
  • Flexibility: 5.0

I wish I could give Fusions Cuisine 10 stars all around. Fusions is an amazing caterer and all-purpose vendor. From the excellent food, professional service, to personal and responsive attention, they helped make our wedding day absolutely amazing.

Many of our guests still tell us how the food was the "best food they've ever had at a wedding"! Many others talked about they were impressed with every aspect of service. Fusions served our family style meal to all 17 tables in under FIVE minutes. The food was hot, delicious, and made everyone very very happy!

Blaise was a true pleasure from start to finish. She is knowledgeable and so very helpful with advice and suggestions. She is never pushy or judgmental. She has a good eye for set up/decor and knows how to make an event flow smoothly. Blaise is someone you can trust and know will look out for the bride and groom's interests. She knows what she's doing and will make sure she does everything she can to make your day perfect.

Again, we were so very happy with Fusions Cuisine from start to finish. We recommend them for any event without hesitation!

• Wedding: Recently Married
Private User
  • Flexibility: 5.0

When first reviewing caterers in the Northern Virginia area I was immediately drawn to the unique food on the Fusions Cuisine website. Then after selecting our venue and finding Fusions Cuisine listed as one of the four options for caring, I knew it was meant to be. From the first email of our proposed menu to her follow-up after the event she did not miss a single detail! I am a dietitian and was determined to serve a delicious, but healthful meal that was unlike any other wedding food I'd experienced. Wedding food is usually dry chicken, bland steak and starchy sides. Our guests could not stop talking about the great variety of appetizers (9), the incredible flavors and freshness of every dish! Blaise also offers family style service, which was perfect for our large (200 guests) country chic vineyard wedding. The staff was exceptional: My Baba (grandmother) as led for some of the Macaroni and Cheese to go...moments later a staff member was bring her a to-go box filled with Macaroni and Cheese. Other tables asked for a bottle of wine to be brought to the table and the staff brought it with extra wine glasses! A finial example of their desire to serve: when she called the Monday after the wedding to ask how the event went, I told her that my husband and I ended up getting to eat very little of our meal and so I asked Blaise if we could get our wedding meal when we come back to Virginia for the holidays and she gladly obliged! Cannot say enough about their kindness, exceptional service and incredibly unique/delicious food.

• Wedding: 09/13/2014
Emily
4.6/5.0
  • Professionalism: 4.0
  • Flexibility: 5.0

My husband and I knew right away that we wanted a unique and tasty meal for our guests (and us). We'd been to a wedding that was cocktail style with heavy apps and a few stations. We loved it because the food was great, we weren't stuck at a table for an hour + and it allowed more time for dancing/ socializing.

After doing some tastings, we decided to go with Fusions. My family and I have actually known Blaise for many years so we already had a level of trust with her. Her and her husband, Jimmy (chef at Fusions), had worked friend's wedding and birthday events where the food was great.

We did a small tasting before we signed the contract, and once we tasted how great the food was and the kinds of food they could provide for the wedding – we knew they were the right choice. We also had a tasting of our full menu three months before the wedding, which was great because it allowed us to make some additional tweaks.

Some of the passed apps included Peruvian style ceviche (that my husband and Jim worked together on to create), mini grilled cheese with tomato/fennel soup shooters, Asian spring rolls, potatoes stuffed with boursin cheese, and mini burgers. The stations included a fruit/cheese plate, falafel with hummus and pita chips, mac & cheese and penne pasta with sausage and mushrooms. The Chef’s station which prepares individual plates of mini meals was chorizo meatballs, and chicken osso bucco with mushroom risotto. By the way, everything is made from scratch in house including things like the hummus and pita chips.

Three months later, we are still getting compliments on the food at our wedding. Both Blaise & Katie (and the servers) made sure we were well fed & kept getting us refills. We were so grateful for that because you always hear how couples don’t get to eat on their wedding day, which we didn’t want. Blaise is incredibly organized, meticulous and it was great how they worked with us to tweak & create the menu we’d envisioned & reflected us.

• Wedding: 05/03/2014
Megan
  • Flexibility: 5.0

We used Fusions for our wedding of approximately 130 at the Torpedo Factory. From the beginning we were glad we made the decision that we did. Blaise was wonderfully accomodating throughout the process and redid the proposal several times based on changes we requested. When we went to meet them for the first time we were shocked that they provided us a full meal tasting with sample of their food... they even wrapped the leftovers up for us to take home!

Once we decided to use them they recommended a family style dinner. Neither of us had ever attended a wedding with that format but our guests loved it. We used rectangular tables and it really gave people a chance to mingle over dinner. My parents came with us to the tasting and enjoyed the entire experience. Jim, the chef, sat down with us and explained exactly what was in each appetizer/dish and how it might be different during the wedding since he uses the freshest veggies he can find. Additionally Blaise has excellent taste and I used many of her suggestions for linens, layout, etc and had no regrets.

During the wedding Blaise was great about helping keep everyone on time. A friend of mine helped out the day of since we didn't have a coordinator and between her and Blaise there were no problems. Anyone who has a wedding at the Torpedo Factory will find out they have a very short time frame from closing until the wedding starts to set up and they were very efficent.

People have gone out of their way to let us know how much the enjoyed the food, I would definitely recommend Fusions to anyone looking to host a wedding. Especially at the Torpedo Factory.

• Wedding: 11/09/2013
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Could not have asked for a better experience with a caterer. After saying "yes," picking Fusions was the best decision we made for our wedding.

The food was amazing. AMAZING. I keep running into guests who tell us they are trying to recreate dishes from the menu because they loved it so much.

Jim and Blaise are unbelievably sweet, professional and easy to work with. They worked with us every step of the way and were the cool head / guiding hand we needed to create the perfect vision for our wedding.

My stress level was almost zero for the wedding, mostly because every time I had a concern, Blaise was able to LISTEN, figure out how to resolve the concern and implement it seamlessly into our plans for they day.

Fusions knows what they are doing and are fantastic at it. They were full of creative, wonderful ideas, they listened to what we wanted and they figured out a beautiful and delicious way to make it work. No surprises, no stress. We worked together to visualize the ideal wedding and Blaise and Jim made it happen. We had so much fun with them and I had no worries once the wedding day rolled around. I knew I could trust them to make sure everything went smoothly (and I was right).

As far as details, food was delicious, Jim and Blaise were very accommodating to our tastes, budget and DIY ideas, they were happy to advise us with any questions or changes we had in mind, they even worked with us to figure out whether we needed a day of coordinator or a signature cocktail less than a week before the wedding. Responses were prompt and very helpful. I truly felt like they cared about our wedding. I didn’t get responses like “refresh my memory again, were you the wedding on xyz date?” The wedding was a giant juggling act and I have no idea how but Jim and Blaise kept the entire thing going the whole time without dropping a ball.

All I can emphasize is how easy Fusions was to work with and how delicious, beautiful and professional it all turned out. Highly recommend.

• Wedding: 09/01/2013
  • Flexibility: 5.0

We had a wonderful experience with Fusions. The food was great of course (quote from friend, "the best food I've ever had at a wedding"), and very unique. They did a great job balancing our varied tastes and backgrounds (there was Korean, Peruvian, Italian, & American food). Blaise was very helpful and organized throughout the whole process. Jim is a great chef who is great to chat with. Bernadette did a great job at the reception, and the service was fantastic! I got quite a few compliments on how great and friendly the servers were (loved being served by Jimmy!). Overall great experience with Fusions!

• Wedding: 10/15/2011
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Fusions Cuisine did an amazing job at our cocktail hour and reception! The food was perfect. My husband and I come from different ethnic backgrounds, (Vietnamese and red meat eating midwesterners..... And I have a family of 'foodies') and we wanted a reception dinner that combined our cultures, and not a typically boring reception meal. Fusions knocked it out of the park! The food was delicious, the lemongrass steak was so tender it melted like butter in your mouth, and the miso glazed salmon was perfect. Blaise and James were a pleasure to work with and provided exactly what we were hoping for, the food was authentically amazing. We received many many compliments from our guests, not only about the food, but also the excellent service. The Fusions staff were all friendly,
positive and happy. I interacted with Jim the most , he was so kind and helpful.
We highly recommend Fusions Cuisine for their food AND the service.

• Wedding: 09/24/2011
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Fusions Cuisine was fabulous. We had a personalized menu for our wedding day, and we couldn't ask for better service. The on-site tasting with had with them months before our wedding was so good, and they were very happy to accommodate us and our parents. The food during cocktail hour and reception were amazing, and we received so many compliments about how wonderful everything tasted. During the wedding, they were so efficient, and we kept to our schedule very well, which was very important to me. By far, the food was one of my most favorite parts of the wedding.

• Wedding: 04/30/2011
4.9/5.0
  • Value: 4.5
  • Flexibility: 5.0

My husband and I had our wedding reception at the Torpedo Factory Art Center - which is an amazing venue for an event and also challenging for a caterer. It does not have any kind of a kitchen and it doesn't have a large prep area for them to work. Our reception in my eyes was perfect. I knew of literally not one problem. The food tasted great, the aesthetics and display looked amazing, Blaise & Jim's professionalism was seen and felt, and honestly it was perfect to me (other than the fact that it felt like it FLEW by!) Blaise was really easy to work with even though I'm sure I was somewhat of a thorn in her side at times with my million questions - she was very patient and thorough, which I appreciated immensely. The caterer is a HUGE component in an event, and I highly recommend Fusions!

• Wedding: 04/09/2011
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Blaise and Jim were such a pleasure to work with during my wedding. They strive to produce great food and it definitely shows. Fusions Cuisine was able to create that home-cooked style I was looking for when I was searching for my caterer. Their food doesn't taste mass-produced and everything was done in the utmost professional fashion. Blaise was also instrumental in helping me work with a more challenging venue. We chose to have a 2 floor reception which would have made most caterers grumpy, but Blaise helped the wedding move wonderfully. Blaise was also concerned about my unusually long reception: 8 hours, but she ran with it and made the entire thing work with our budget. The waitstaff was also the best I have ever seen at a wedding. They made sure the entire venue was spotless the whole night and that the guests were comfortable. The proof is in the pudding though: my wedding guests are still raving about the food even weeks after our wedding. Thank you so much, Fusions!

• Wedding: 02/26/2011
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Blaise & Jim were wonderful to work with! Blaise was amazingly helpful in planning and organizing our wedding day. She had lots of ideas that helped make our day a success. Jim is an outstanding chef and everyone raved about their dinner. He is very creative and the cuisine was outstanding. The staff was friendly, helpful and a delight to have with us for the day. You will not find a better caterer!

• Wedding: 10/30/2010
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Fusions Cuisine provided the catering for my daughter's wedding. The bride and groom live in Australia so as MOB, I ended up with most of the wedding planning. We did not use a wedding planner as I was comfortable with the vendors being able to provide what they promised--and they did! Fusions was selected as a recommendation through the venue's website. Once I looked at their beautiful selection of foods, it was love at first sight. We met with Jim and Blaise for a tasting and we didn't want to leave--the food was wonderful and they are a delightful energetic couple. We explained our problems--no nuts or soy products--and they came up with a menu eliminating these items. The preliminary meetings were easy and Blaise was very helpful in helping my daughter select table coverings, etc. Blaise was always responsive to my emails and questions and I had no problems. The day of the "outside" wedding, it of course rained. Balise and Jim were not at the wedding but the very competent Richard took over. He was fabulous and many people commented on what a great job he and the staff did especially with the adverse weather conditions. They made it so easy, we didn't even notice the rain. Many people commented on the wonderful food--quite unusual for most weddings where the food tends to be institutional. Not the case with Jim's food! Everything was presented beautifully and efficiently. I would hire Fusions Cuisine again and definitely would recommend them to anyone planning an event where a caterer is needed!!! Thank you to Jim, Blaise and Richard for an outstanding event.

• Wedding: 05/22/2010
4.0/5.0
  • Responsiveness: 4.0
  • Professionalism: 4.0
  • Value: 4.0
  • Flexibility: 4.0

-Small business and you get that feel of being their only focus, you aren't lost in a sea of brides, of course I got married in the fall, less busy
-Jim the chef is truly a visionary and made me feel like I was spending more money than I was.
-Blaise, his wife and co-owner is very attentive, very down to earth, never felt like I was being taken advantage of
-Be very, very cognisant of what it is you want, how much of it that you want and watch your budget
I would recommend them to anyone, I would chose them again. The only reason I didn't give them a five is because I only worked with them, there was nothing to compare them to.

• Wedding: 11/14/2009
Rachel
3.8/5.0
  • Responsiveness: 3.0
  • Professionalism: 3.0
  • Value: 4.5
  • Flexibility: 4.5

Fusions Cuisine as noted in other reviews can be considered a great value. Their cost in comparison to the quality of food was the selling point for us. As a point of reference, we approached the planning of our wedding by focusing on the venue, photography and catering in that order. Our menu was planned as an important part of our day and a reflection of our interests. You can expect Jim to be thoughtful and willing to work with you on creating a menu tailored to you.

We believe Fusions delivered to the best of their abilities. However, couples considering Fusions may also want to consider working with a wedding planner/coordinator. Fusions missed more than a few important details discussed at three different planning meetings - the tasting, contract and final walk-through. The primary drawback in working with Fusions is that they lack a dedicated, qualified event or project manager. Blaise attempts to manage both the business aspect (client communication, billing, contracts, etc) and on-site management. While incorrect invoices & payment balances are easy to correct missed menu items, misplaced serving tables and ugly buffet stations (paid for tiered display and received a flat table) cannot be corrected the day of your wedding.

Another major disappointment in our experience came on our wedding day when we discovered Jim was not on-site, despite a verbal agreement of ‘first come, first served’ from Jim & Blaise at our tasting and contract signing. Ultimately, our food was fine but we would have appreciated honest communication from Fusion. Post-wedding Blaise suggested that Jim was not guaranteed in our contract and that she had ‘told him to stop saying that’ in reference to our reminder of the first come, first serve agreement.

Again, a good value from a small business owner/chef willing to cater a unique menu but be willing to stay on top of things for yourself or prepared to hire a coordinator.

**This section has been updated after Fusions posted a response to our initial review**

You will not see many reviews for Fusions on WeddingWire but note the only areas where Fusions consistently seems to lose points are for - professionalism & responsiveness. We are not the first to make this observation and likely not the last if the company is not able to recognize customer complaints as an opportunity for improvement. If you are a bride planning your wedding notice the number of 5-star reviews on WeddingWire and then consider how many of those brides may have planned a large event prior to their wedding? In this situation, the bride & groom are both experienced project managers. We compared our contract & verbal agreements to what was received. A 3.8 out of 5.0 stars and a recommendation to hire the vendor does not seem unfair.

BRIDES & GROOMS - we would be happy to answer specific questions about our experience with this vendor or others we used. We found many good people in the area. See our other reviews.

Fusions Cuisine responded with the following comments:

How unfortunate that this review is an attempt to re-write history. This is not a fair review as it only highlights negative opinions (not facts) rather than offering an accurate assessment of the entire process.

While there was no tiered buffet, it was not something paid for nor agreed to. All of our estimates are line itemed. There is no charge and has never been a charge for a tiered buffet. We always encourage guests to show us pictures of what they have in mind if there is something specific they want. Pictures of their vision for a buffet were never provided. They had many photos of our work to review and everything seemed ok to them at the time.

Jim is the Executive Chef of a company, not of every reception. We communicated in an honest fashion with the client IN WRITING PRIOR TO CONTRACT SIGNING that Jim could not commit to being on site for their reception. He enjoys attending weddings but it was clearly communicated to the client in writing that sometimes this just isn't possible because circumstances could arise which would require his attention elsewhere. Like every other caterer, we use staff on site that may not include Jim's presence and this was communicated to the client upfront prior to signing any contract.

There were no misplaced tables. Our event photos show that our staff followed the floor plan and email notes from the bride for set up properly.

We received nothing but rave reviews from the client, family and friends at the end of the evening. While there were some challenges and corrections along the way, no complaints were brought to our attention until five weeks after the reception.

Some points worth mentioning, but were given no acknowledgment:
1. Unlike most caterers, we agreed to accept shipment of some food items from the client and display them with our food on site.

2. Our staff assisted the wedding planner on site with a very difficult setup situation that was outside the realm of catering. We believe working as a team on premise is important and were happy to help.

3. The facility had installed an unexpected piece of equipment (very tall) which was in the area of the buffet setup. The bride expressed her concern about this to Blaise and Blaise took steps on premise to cover the piece of equipment so it was less noticeable. This was not an easy thing to do given the ad hoc manner in which it had to be done.

4. The client had a challenging schedule and Fusions worked around their schedule by agreeing to appointments during non-business hours, including weekends.

5. The client received a lot of personalized attention from both Blaise and Jim with easy accessibility to both throughout the process.

We addressed the post-reception complaints immediately and took it one step further. Fusions sent back the client's final payment so they could deduct what they thought was "fair" for items they were unsatisfied with. Ultimately, they sent back their final payment and did not deduct any funds for a claimed paid tiered buffet, inadequate placement of tables, nor for the Chef's position on site.

While their letter to Fusions acknowledged the good food and service and a fair review was assured, these things seem to have been lost in the WeddingWire review.

• Wedding: 10/24/2009
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Fusions Cuisine was above and beyond what we could ever hope for in a catering company. The food was absolutely phenomenal...we are still getting rave reviews and compliments for having the best wedding food anyone had ever eaten. We had specific foods we were looking for to have at our reception and Jim was able to put together an amazing menu for us that had everything we wanted and more. Jim and Blaise were so easy to work with and were so helpful. The staff that accompanied Fusions at our reception were amazing. Everyone was so professional, polite, friendly, patient, helpful. Every single member of the waitstaff and the bartenders were absolutely fantastic.

I would recommend Fusions to anyone. The value, the service, the food...it is all amazing. I cannot say enough good things about Fusions Cuisine. They definitely made our wedding perfect and there was not one hungry guest after our wedding!

• Wedding: 10/17/2009
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Fusions made our wedding dreams come true. Not only are our guests STILL raving about how incredible the food at our wedding was, but I was blown away that they came in under our [low] budget while still providing top quality, unique, and delicious food. My husband and I have distinguished taste pallets, and Jim was so creative in the menu offerings, careful to make every dish special and memorable- exactly what we wanted. As the bride, I was completely confident and at ease that if anything went wrong on the day-of, Blaise would handle it with elegance and professionalism so that nobody would even notice. The service we received from the catering staff was absolutely perfect. Fusions made the difference between a good wedding and a perfect wedding. We will never consider any other caterer for a special event.

• Wedding: 10/10/2009
703-898-0728
Please let this vendor know you found them on WeddingWire

My Awards