BlushingBride
VIP October 2017

Should I sell my Dress?

BlushingBride, on November 30, 2017 at 1:22 AM Posted in Etiquette and Advice

Has anyone sold a wedding dress online? I LOVE LOVE LOVE my dress but I really do not see myself doing anything with it in the future. I tossed around the idea of having other things made out of it, but I'm not a seamstress and I hear it can get pretty pricey. So I'm now looking at it in my front room and thinking I'm going to have it cleaned but not boxed.

If you know anything about the selling process could you share some details with me please. Which sites did you use? Is there a return policy? Do people really buy without trying it on?

Share:

9 Comments

• Amandaw
    VIP April 2018
    Amandaw ·

I sold my first wedding dress a few months ago and the person bought it with no hassle. I listed it on facebook

• BlushingBride
    VIP October 2017
    BlushingBride ·

@Amandaw - Thats wonderful! Did you offer returns when selling?

I'm hoping I can have the same luck.

• ambrok
    Master October 2017
    ambrok ·

I knew I was donating my dress when I bought it. For my H, I looked into selling it but we both agreed we didn't want the hassle of people wanting to try it on (I know I would). I talked to a consignment store n it was a wash for us...we would see 25% of the cost of the dress (not including belt or alterations)...that's after you pay to have it cleaned. I think if it's a higher priced dress, it would be fine but it just didn't pay for us.

• FutureMrsGSon
    Dedicated September 2018
    FutureMrsGSon ·

Kind of related, but if you want to donate it, there are companies that turn wedding dresses into dresses for babies that have passed away. That's what I plan to do with mine.

• Megan
    Devoted January 2018
    Megan ·

I'm on the other end. I recently just purchased my dress on preownedweddingdresses.com

There are lots of used dresses on there.

I bought mine unaltered and new for $650 but honestly she could have asked $1100. I got a great deal.

Shipping was easy and we paid through PayPal so very safe.

It also saved my booty because I didn't have enough time to order a dress!

• Margarita
    Dedicated December 2017
    Margarita ·

I bought my stunning ballgown gently used on preownedweddingdresses.com

The seller was local, so I got to try it in person and I fell in love

• Amandaw
    VIP April 2018
    Amandaw ·

No I did not offer returns. I did offer to meet somewhere that they could try it on if wanted (like a restaurant) but they didn't want to try it on since they knew they were going to get some things altered anyways (I am busty lol)

• Kristen
    Savvy March 2018
    Kristen ·

I volunteer at a bridal gown boutique here in Tucson that resells donated wedding dresses to combat sex trafficking, and mentor/counsel women who have been trafficked or women who've experienced sexual assault/abuse in our community. I know you want to sell your dress, but wanted to share an alternative. Donating it to a 501c3 would also give you a tax write off. Just a thought!

• Mrs.7/29/17
    Savvy July 2017
    Mrs.7/29/17 ·

@kristen, will you share the contact info for the boutique in Tucson?

Comment on this discussion