C
Dedicated May 2018

Flowers!!!!!

Crystal, on May 11, 2017 at 4:45 PM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 0 70
Saved Save

Help!!!! Is it tacky to use fake flowers for bouquets?????

70 Comments

• Celia Milton
    January 2020
    Celia Milton ·
    • Flag

Everyone has their own opinion on this, but I'm always on team real.

• Svetlana
    VIP October 2018
    Svetlana ·
    • Flag

Not if they are done right.

• xjoyceee
    Expert July 2017
    xjoyceee ·
    • Flag

I don't think it's tacky to use fake flowers, but some fake flowers can look tacky. I think it's just a matter of finding good ones.

• destiny
    Dedicated August 2018
    destiny ·
    • Flag

I'm totally in the same boat as you they have some really good silk flower options on Etsy and lightinthebox I am not a big flower person and don't really want to waste 1000 dollars on a half hour ceremony

• destiny
    Dedicated August 2018
    destiny ·
    • Flag

That's one sample

• S
    Beginner September 2017
    Shelly ·
    • Flag

I made my own...left is mine, then maid of honor, then flower girls. They look better in person...

• Robynne
    Dedicated July 2017
    Robynne ·
    • Flag

I was in a wedding with fake flowers for the bridal party and it was lovely and economical. If done correctly, it can totally work! Good luck!

• Celia Milton
    January 2020
    Celia Milton ·
    • Flag

It's always the same argument...."I don't want to spend money on flowers because they die". Well, food is eaten, makeup comes off, music is stilled. Every one of those elements contribute to the day. If you don't want to spend the money, hey; it's your money, but great looking fakes will cost as much or more as real ones.

• WED18
    July 1993
    WED18 ·
    • Flag

I prefer real flowers.

• 1978jojo
    Super August 2017
    1978jojo ·
    • Flag

Here are my girls I made them and love them saved a ton of money using fake flowers!!

• Mrs. Sitz
    Master July 2016
    Mrs. Sitz ·
    • Flag

If the cost of real ones is a concern, I highly recommend fiftyflowers.com. There is some prep work involved but, their flowers were gorgeous & I saved so much ordering them myself. Sams club & Costco also sell flowers wholesale.

• FutureMrsKosloske
    Super July 2017
    FutureMrsKosloske ·
    • Flag

@Shelly my bouquets are sunflowers and daisies too! I made mine with silk flowers and I absolutely love them. My favorite part about using fake flowers is that I made them last month and I put them in my "wedding closet" and all I have to do is pull them out on my wedding day and they are ready to go and look exactly how I want them to. Both of my sisters had nightmare experiences with their florists on their wedding days, I do not want to deal with that. At one of my sister's weddings the flowers looked horrible by the time the pictures were halfway over.... Team Fake Flowers all the way!

• Z_Runner
    VIP June 2017
    Z_Runner ·
    • Flag

I had the same "concern". It was recommended to check Whole Foods or a local supermarket. My bouquet ended up being $45 and no contract or anything. It's just a special order. I'm just disappointed I learned about this after I got a florist for the centerpieces

• Cass
    VIP August 2017
    Cass ·
    • Flag

Not if they are done right! But I would add a touch of something real within the centerpieces or something. But honestly for really nice fake flowers they are usually around the same price as the real, and honestly where are you going to want to put a bunch of fake flower bouquets in your house post wedding... real flowers you can always donate to a nursing home after the wedding.

• K
    Super March 2018
    K ·
    • Flag

Tacky? No. Can it start looking real cheap real quick? Yes. (i'm sorry if that is offensive to some). I agree with @Robynne on the statement "if its done correctly"

I have seen more crappy fake flower arrangements than I have amazing. Its something you'll have to be careful with for sure.

Maybe its just not my style.

• A&L
    Master April 2017
    A&L ·
    • Flag

I would cut down on centerpieces and decor before using fake flowers for the BP. You can use flowers that are in season and reuse them as centerpieces.

• MrsLabrec
    VIP October 2017
    MrsLabrec ·
    • Flag

I am not a fan. I personally think it's tacky. But, everyone is different.

• Ashley
    Super September 2017
    Ashley ·
    • Flag

I was going to but I just decided to make mine with flowers from trader Joe's.

• Chica
    VIP October 2017
    Chica ·
    • Flag

We are going with real flowers from a florist company. Simply bc I cant DIY or deal with the stresses of setting up my wedding day. I just lack creativity and time for DIYing done right. So, we hired professionals.

However- Its not tacky to use fake flowers. Do what you can afford. Flowers can get real expensive and bc they don't enhance guest experience, they aren't worth breaking the bank for. Fake flowers will not diminish the comfort and experience of your guests. No one will care. No one will notice. With that said, please use some that actually look "real." For instance, there are some very real looking flowers at Michaels for very cheap prices. You may also consider real flowers from Whole Foods, Costco, Bjs, local Delis those are fairly cheap.

• FME
    Master March 2018
    FME ·
    • Flag

People really overuse the word tacky.

It's really up to you. There's pros and cons for both. I've seen some beautiful faux bouquets and some really sloppy real bouquets, and vice versa. Since this isn't effecting the guests experience like food, drink and seats would, this is totally up to you.

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics