Solstice Wood Fire & Cafe bar Reviews

13 | Hood River, OR

13 Reviews for Solstice Wood Fire & Cafe bar

• Courtney

Courtney R. · Married on 09/21/2019

Great food and amazing Service!

We booked Solstice catering for our wedding event. They staff were amazing as soon as they arrived onsite and new exactly what to do. We hired bartenders as well from them and they were extremely professional and provided awesome service. Our guests raved about the pizza, salad, and apps. It turned out that I actually went to high school with the chef which was a hilarious surprise! Definitely recommend them!

Sent on 09/23/2019

Danielle · Married on 05/20/2017

If you're feeling overwhelmed trying to find a caterer, just contact solstice! The whole process was so pleasant, and easy.

Sent on 09/27/2016

Shannah · Married on 09/20/2014

Solstice catered our funky farm wedding in Trout Lake, WA (btw, I think they're in Hood River not Bingen now, but couldn't figure out how to tell Wedding Wire that). They were beyond fantastic- great food, great service, great company. So fun to have a brick oven delivered to your venue, and they even accommodated our picky vegan & gluten-free peeps. They even helped out when the photographer was short handed! Would gladly hire them again for a simple or grand affair - I think they could creatively figure out how to deal with any kind of location.

Hugs to Solstice & their fabulous staff!

Sent on 09/28/2014

Todd · Married on 09/10/2011

These guys provided homemade pizza via their portable oven for our wedding reception in Hood River, OR. Their service and positive attitude was second-to-none!

Sent on 01/17/2012

Kai · Married on 08/26/2016

3.0

Getting in touch with Solstice was at times a bit challenging, but their service on the day of our wedding was well worth it. Amazing service and amazing food!

Sent on 09/16/2016

Alyssa · Married on 09/08/2018

2.5

The food was incredible. Everyone at the wedding kept raving about the food - even the vegetarian entrees, which were gorgeous wild-rice stuffed peppers. They were happy to work with us to make sure there were no nuts involved due to allergies. The oven showed up on time, they had appetizers and food ready to go and provided linens. We upgraded to the "indoor package" for real plates and napkins, which was definitely worth it. The staff kept checking in without being intrusive and were super friendly. We also went for the late-night pizza option. All ten pizzas were completely gone by the end of the night.

It was difficult to schedule a tasting (and they kept apologizing for the food since it wasn't in the woodfired oven - the food was great, but they were right, day of was another level). It was an effort just to get my deposit put down. There was some staff turnover which made it hard to communicate effectively, but there were zero problems day-of. I would definitely use them again despite the coordinating issues.

Sent on 09/13/2018

Mallory · Married on 07/25/2015

Solstice did a great job with the food and made everything run really smoothly the day of the wedding. The food was fresh and cooked on-site with their mobile woodfired oven, and it came out delicious (our guests LOVED how unique the food was, and it was really casual yet elegant at the same time, perfect for our outdoor wedding). My only concern was that they were not as responsive with communication as our other vendors (hence the 4 stars) during the planning process- but in terms of how the food turned out and how they handled the actual wedding day, they were very professional, responsive, and incredibly affordable. I would highly recommend them overall.

Sent on 10/17/2015

Dani · Married on 06/16/2018

3.6
      3.0

100% Recommend Booking Jen

Solstice Pizza was one of the most challenging vendors we worked with during our wedding. My husband and I knew we wanted them to cater our wedding, as we wanted a refined beer and pizza vibe, so we did not look at other options. They are quite slow at responding to emails and it took several attempts to initiate contact and book services. I was told that during their busy season it takes them longer to respond, which is fine except I experienced similarly slow communication during their off-season as well, including the months leading up to our wedding. When they did get back to me, they generally answered all of my questions and were able to accommodate us during their busy season for a tasting/meeting to discuss the event. We also did not receive a quote for the cost until about a week or so before the wedding, which was somewhat stressful, but I think if I had pressed earlier they would have provided it. Cons aside, they did an amazing job on the actual wedding day. They showed up on time, the food was delicious and well prepared, and the service was professional and on point. They were even able to serve a home made beer for our toast to our guests. If you can handle the slow communications, their food it worth it!

Sent on 07/11/2018

Kelly · Married on 08/18/2018

3.4
      2.0

The food was a huge hit, we loved having a pizza bar at our wedding. I was initially put in touch with someone who went on vacation for several months during our wedding planning without any notice. Once we were put in touch with Natalie, everything got sorted out. She was very helpful in planning, and accommodating our unique venue.

The main thing I was not pleased with, was the way the they rushed us to start dinner. I had to cut my wedding photos short, after being told that they were going to start serving dinner in 10 minutes, with or without the bride and groom!!

Sent on 09/10/2018

Preston · Married on 07/25/2015

1.6
      2.0

Being from Hood River we love Solstice Pizza, but we were very disappointed in their catering services for our wedding rehearsal dinner. First of all, our main issue was that we felt pretty ripped off after the service. We paid approx. 19$ per person just for pizza, and for that 19$ per person, Solstice allotted 2 pieces of pizza per person. Those pieces were also very small. In the end, everyone was fed, but everyone could have eaten more. When paying 19$ for a meal, I expect to be full.

Our second complaint is that we added a side salad for 2$ per person because we really, really like Solstice's ceasar salad, making the final cost per person 21$. However, when the salad arrived, it was a garden salad instead of a ceasar. So we added salad just because we liked it so much, but they got our order wrong and we never got the ceasar salad. So in conclusion, we paid 21$ per person, no one was full, and we didn't get the one thing we really looked forward to.

We also have complaints about the service. Before the wedding, Solstice catering was very hard to get a hold of. So much so that the mother-in-law-to-be called and emailed multiple times. Finally we had to go down to the restaurant and speak with a manager. Good thing we live in Hood River! Finally, I found it very unprofessional for an employee to snag a piece of pizza and sneak behind the brick oven to eat it while guests were serving themselves. It was especially irritable since we ran out of pizza before everyone was full.

We will NOT be recommending Solstice catering to anyone. In fact, we'll steer people away.

Sent on 09/16/2015

Asha · Married on 08/15/2015

1.4
      1.5

We hired solstice for our wedding and were unfortunately very disappointed. Communication with the catering manager, Natalie, was extremely difficult. She didn't consistently reply to emails or phone calls, necessitating calling the restaurant and getting in touch with the owner in order to get her to call us back. The food we sampled at the restaurant when planning our menu was NOTHING like the food that was cooked for us on the day of our wedding (also, we had to pay for the tasting). For example: at the restaurant we tasted delicious, bone-in, skin-on, wood-fired chicken which we selected for our wedding menu. At the wedding, we were instead served poached, skinless, boneless chicken breasts which had been barely heated up in the wood fired oven, leaving them dry and completely tasteless. Everything was under seasoned and clearly not actually prepared in the wood-fired oven. To top the experience off, I'm fairly certain that one of the catering employees present at the wedding called the police to our venue because we had a small outdoor fire during a fire ban. Obviously, we should not have been having a fire and in retrospect this was a dumb decision. However, they could have told us to put it out and saved us the agony of the local volunteer firefighters pulling up aggressively in their trucks on the wedding property, nearly running me over and threatening to arrest my father.

When we aired these complaints to Natalie, she informed us that the chef from our wedding day had been fired and they gave us $1000 off our bill. She also said she would send us a $100 gift certificate for the restaurant (which we never received, even after a couple of reminder emails). I appreciate that they attempted to make it right, but it really was too little too late.

Sent on 08/16/2016

Kristi · Married on 07/01/2018

1.2
      1.5

I don't generally like leaving negative reviews, and feel mean doing this, but.....wedding planners, look elsewhere. Solstice Catering was by far the most difficult vendor we worked with, and ultimately became my biggest source of planning angst. The food itself is tasty, and the day-of cooks and service were helpful and professional-- ZERO complaints about their workers who staffed my event. Their "coordinator" services, however, went from disappointing to confusing to frustrating to uncomfortable to unpleasant. The fact that their contract actually includes a clause noting that they are difficult to get a hold of should have been a warning sign-- indeed they were very slow to reply to emails or calls, sometimes taking WEEKS to respond to me. I understand that wedding season is busy, but it's nonsense for a professional catering business not to respond to clients at all for several weeks at a time. We may as well not have even had a planning meeting with their coordinator--perhaps her meeting notes got lost? It took 6 weeks (and many emails) to get a written menu proposal and a price quote to be produced after our planning meeting. The menu that WAS eventually produced was not consistent with what we had discussed at the meeting, and changes made later would disappear from subsequent revisions. The menu was not always specific/detailed on what was actually being served (such as specifying how many "pieces" is a "serving") and I was chastised when I requested clarification on this. One of the apps that was ultimately served on our wedding day was the ONE thing we had specifically said we did NOT want as an option for the topping (egg salad). I had to make multiple calls the week prior to my wedding to get them to send me a final invoice, so I could make final payment by their own deadline. Overall, hugely frustrating, and NOT WORTH the pizza oven experience. They need to find a new catering coordinator and work on their customer service.

Sent on 08/22/2018

Alexis · Married on 06/10/2017

1.2
      1.0

My fiancé and I met with Natalie Price- wedding catering coordinator. She was absolutely rude.
    We informed her at the beginning of our tasting that we will be taking care of appetizers. She voiced several times that we are more than welcomed to take care of appetizers on our own, with them, or even with a different catering company.
    At the end of our tasting, she gave us a quote of $3400 for pizza and greens for 120 people. I said again, "Wow, we will definitely not be getting appetizers here". As I already stated that it is more affordable for our budget to take care of it on our own. She looked me straight in my eyes and said, "Then I don't think we are a good match". Like anyone, I am still shocked and disappointed that a co-manager would say such a thing!!! And make me feel pressured to pay for appetizers so we are a "good match".
    We called and left a voicemail as we had more questions. 3 days later, we still had not received a call. I texted her, "Natalie, we left a voicemail for you 3 days ago and have not heard back. We have some questions." She texted me back, "I don't know if this message was intended for me as it's not even been 3 days". Okay, seriously? How in your right mind do you "not know" if a text is intended for you when #1 it says your name, #2 I'm texting to your phone number.
    I responded with all of the things that have made me upset. As listed above. She responded to me, "I didn't know you have a bad taste in your mouth and that was not my intention. I am back in the office on Monday and will give you a ring then". It is now the afternoon and she has not made us her #1 priority to take care of.
    I want it to be clear, the pizza was good, but Natalie is rude and unprofessional... and obviously unaware of how her negative comments and rude tone affect a couple. She acts oblivious to her behavior. Because of Natalie, I do not recommend Solstice. My experience was horrible.

Sent on 09/26/2016