Grandale Catering Reviews

105 | Purcellville, VA

105 Reviews for Grandale Catering

Stephanie · Married on 07/03/2010

We used Grandale Farm to cater our recent wedding at the Rust Manor House in Leesburg. Chef Author was very professional, flexible and accommodating; from the initial meeting through the conclusion of our wedding reception. He made it a worry free event. The team was there promptly and had everything ready to go well before the ceremony. The food was fantastic, staff was professional and the linens were beautiful. I would without a doubt recommend Grandale Farm for any catering event.

Sent on 07/14/2010

Katie · Married on 06/12/2010

Grandale Farm and Chef Author Clark catered my June, 2010 wedding. We were on a budget and he was happy to work with us to cut costs without cutting value. He was very responsive at a time when other caterers were ignoring my inquiries about quotes, and answered all of my many questions patiently. He invited us for multiple tastings at the farm. The ceremony was delayed for about an hour due to rain, so the catering team (in the pouring rain) shuttled drinks from the tent to the house where the guests had congregated. The food itself was simply delicious. We got so many complements on the appetizers (crab cakes, bacon wrapped scallops, and curried chicken skewers) and the main dishes (grilled salmon, spinach and feta-stuffed chicken, seasonal vegetables, and cous cous). Despite the fact that we lost power for almost 2 hours, the food was hot and tasty. I highly recommend Grandale Farm catering, as well as the restaurant!

Sent on 07/05/2010

Nicole · Married on 05/22/2010

The food was absolutely divine for both, our rehearsal dinner and wedding reception. The final menu selections were exquisite, especially the scallops and filet. Everything was reasonably priced and affordable. The Chef, staff, and services were extremely repsonsive and professional. I highly recommend Grandale Farm Catering to make your event all you have in mind and more!

Sent on 06/16/2010

Scott · Married on 05/15/2010

We found Grandale Farm somewhat by accident and were absolutely thrilled with every aspect of using them to host our rehearsal dinner and cater the wedding reception. Chef A.J. is very accommodating: he went off of his standard catering menu to provide additional vegetarian options for us. It was truly unique gourmet fare for exceptionally reasonable prices. His staff was efficient, professional and responsive. I would highly recommend Grandale Farm to anyone needing catering in Western Loudoun!

Sent on 05/27/2010
  • dc09

Sarah · Married on 09/12/2009

Can't say enough about Chef AJ at Grandale Farm. We were SO impressed with his professionalism, cooking and flexibility. He did exactly what we discussed...the food was just fantastic and he really helped run the show. We will recommend Grandale Farm and AJ to anyone, it was a perfect wedding thanks to them!

Sent on 09/14/2009

Denise · Married on 04/07/2009

Chef Author was very accomodating. He went out of his way to make us feel welcome and he was very easy to work with. Once we arrived, we had an excellent staff - Chris was great. The food was excellent. Good food, good place, very reasonable prices. We would go back again.

Sent on 11/19/2009

Melissa · Married on 10/15/2016

Grandale was wonderful! From start to finish the service was excellent. The staff is friendly, professional, and clearly loves what they do. The chef was excited to work on our menu, especially when we asked for suggestions and let him be a little bit creative. Our initial tasting was a lot of fun. You get to have lunch at Grandale's restaurant with wine/beer/cider and taste a variety of dishes they create. Then you talk to an event manager about what you would like for your wedding, and receive a proposal via email.

As planning continued, Grandale was accommodating with every change I requested (up until the day before the event!) and made special meals for guests with special dietary concerns. The food was wonderful and so was the service. I highly recommend Grandale Catering!

Sent on 10/20/2016
  • Lyn

Lyn · Married on 05/24/2015

We loved working with Grandale specifically Misty and Chef! We had two tastings out at 868 winery at their restaurant and the food on the day of was exactly what we selected. They had 2 large buffets for our 100 guests and everything went smoothly. They plated two plates for my husband and myself so that we could sit and eat while others were getting their food. They were so attentive to all of our needs and our guest needs. They provided all the bar staff and I have friends who took selfies with the bar staff because they were so friendly and they got to know them. It was a wonderful experience and I can't recommend them enough! We highly recommend Grandale for your catering needs!

Sent on 07/05/2015

Grandale Catering's reply:

Thank you, Lyn, for taking the time to let others know about your experience with Grandale Catering. We are so pleased to have been part of your very special day!

John A. · Married on 06/19/2011

As we've indicated in the survey, we were very satisfied with the service, level of cooperation, your flexibility, willingness to accommodate changes, etc. In general, we have no serious complaints. We thought all of the appetizers were tasty and excellent. Looking back, we feel we should have provided a second table for the cheese and fruits trays (stable appetizers) so that they were more accessible to the majority of the guests. As it was, if someone did not go near the house, they were not aware of those stable appetizers. The plated salad was perfect. The only thing we were slightly disappointed in was the entrees were not as flavorful as we had anticipated. There was certainly more than enough food, but the rice was very bland. We feel that zucchini in June is a bit of a cop-out as a spring vegetable (also bland). The salmon was delicious. It is our experience that the flank steak would have been better if it had been sliced more thinly. The one thing that was really missing for both of the entree and which would have made a big difference was some condiments—tarter sauce, cocktail sauce, roumelade sauce—in bowls as an option for the salmon and steak sauce, horseradish, etc. near the steak. Those would have made a big difference bringing the flavors to a different level. Our only suggestion for future customers that we would pass along would be the suggestion that they perhaps have an opportunity to taste the menu they selected ahead of time. We realize that could get complicated but …. But we were overall very pleased and would have no hesitation in having you cater anything that we might do in the future. All in all, you even managed to hold off the rain. And we thank you very much.

P.S. If by any chance, you saved the plastic cake stand, please let us know and we could drop by to pick it up and return it to Sue Porter at Market Street Under.

Sent on 08/06/2011
  • O

Lisa · Married on 06/10/2011

Chef Author and his team catered my wedding in June 2011 and they did an excellent job. They were attentive to me and my fiance during the planning process, extremely helpful in menu selection by offering creative suggestions and flexibility - lots of food allergies with the guests - and helped to keep our rental decor within budget. The team overall was low stress and low key which is exactly what my "type A" personality needed and when the meal was served to perfection it was just another thing to celebrate that day. I would recommend Chef Author and Grandale Farms to anyone looking for an excellent caterer/meal at the best value.

Sent on 07/30/2011
  • Monica

Monica J. · Married on 12/09/2020

Great food despite COVID challenges

Overall we had a good experience with Grandale. Unfortunately, they were not willing to refund us after we realized the impact COVID would have on the wedding - in fact they encouraged us to still throw our large event, which we did not want to do - but we ended up coming to a workable solution. They catered a smaller party at our house, and the food was incredibly good. The catering manager even set it up herself while we were coming back from the church. We will also (hopefully) have another event there next year to use the rest of our down payments. Great brisket and crab dip in particular!

Sent on 09/22/2020
  • Susan

Susan S. · Married on 07/18/2020

Easy planning for lovely dinner party

Sarah made planning our event so easy. Every detail was handled promptly and professionally, even last minute changes. The food was delicious and the servers were attentive, polite and polished. We had a wonderful dinner party that required very little effort on our part.

Sent on 08/04/2020

Bailey · Married on 10/01/2019

Very Accommodating!

The Grandale, Kylie in particular, worked hard to get us the special small event we wanted. The food was fresh and delicious. The salad and dessert were amazing. Two areas of concern are that the asparagus were undercooked and dinner plates were cold. But overall a very good evening with nice and helpful service. We also enjoyed the Grandale wines.

Sent on 01/03/2019

Laura · Married on 10/05/2018

Farm Fresh and Thoughtfully Prepared

Grandale puts effort into curating delicious dishes that highlight seasonal ingredients. They were very flexible to work with my changing needs and budget. They provided professional service the day of the wedding. Much above average for your typical wedding food.

Sent on 12/16/2018

Ashley · Married on 09/09/2016

It was such a pleasure to work with the super professional and fun staff at Grandale. Their food is amazing and their chefs and staff are top notch. Everything was seamless! From to initial tasting to the wedding. Not to mention, they were the most affordable company we found. Chef Author is wonderful, book them soon!

Sent on 10/05/2016
  • Ashley

Ashley · Married on 09/01/2013

If this was just Author, it would be a 5, yet I had a few issues w/ his staff. But before you read those I would still say GC is DELISH & I would pick them again! GC was on a provided venue list. I liked GCs pricing & variety. After GC, we tried 3 other caterers. We always found ourselves comparing to GC's. Author @ GC is awesome, friendly, relatable, and down to earth (also compliant & flexible). He listened to all of our opinions & incorporated them w/o hesitation. He even let me push out my final meal count since we had a family emergency. Downsides are below: this was my own experience & I hope it wont happen to everyone but if I was a reader I’d want to know! Already discussed w/ GC
    - Author had told us before that he hires extra help through a temp agency. So when one showed up early it was cool until she meddled. She followed me around, pried into my stuff, & kept asking questions, it was annoying. After cocktail I heard her ask another server if she‘d tried my dip, I then watched this girl eat my dip. I wasnt pleased
    - We had discussed sig. drinks w/ GC & it seemed like Author got my vision, I was upset when it didn’t taste right. My drink was a strawberry mojito; I had given the recipe & ingredients prior to the event. The drink wasn't very mojito tasting & was quite strong. When the bartender asked how I liked it I responded “it needs more mint.” Her response was “sorry, I don't like mojitos so I don't know how to make it." As a bartender I feel you should know how to make basic drinks whether you like them or not
    - we had discussed staff tipping with Author & he provided us with the information. I overheard his staff after the wedding sounding disappointed in their tips. I was upset about this considering Author gave us a range and we picked in the middle. I felt it was rude to discuss this and not be grateful for the tip in the first place
    Food
    filet
    Duck w/ gnocci cream sauce
    Eggplant Parm
    The duck was our fav, GC earned our business on that alone

Sent on 01/03/2014

I could not have been more pleased with our catering! Author, the chef, took a ton of time with us in the beginning to get a sense of what we wanted. He gave us new ideas that matched our menu concept and he came in at a price that I felt was more than fair for the quality of food. The second big piece was the serving staff. We LOVED the manager who kept everything smooth during the wedding, did a great job going back and forth with the venue and was amazing. My only small critique is that one of our 3 bartenders was not great with cocktails and she was at the cocktail bar. A friend of mine actually ended up teaching her how to make a few drinks! Overall though, quality and service were fantastic, people got seconds and thirds from the buffet, and the manager was very good at her job.

Sent on 09/15/2013

Lauren · Married on 11/13/2010

AJ was very helpful and responsive from the beginning. He did all he could do to work with our budget and provide the best deal and service to us. The food was great and he did a wonderful job setting up! I really appreciate all his and his teams hard work. I would for sure use his services again and eat at his restaurant!

Sent on 11/15/2010

Jamie · Married on 06/05/2010

AJ was great...very organized, which was calming.

Sent on 06/07/2010

Jessica · Married on 08/21/2016

We would highly recommend Grandale after using them as our wedding caterers. They have an awesome model where you get to work hand-in-hand with their executive chef to create your unique menu. This was unlike other caterers we spoke with, who had a relatively set-in-stone menu to chose from (with the ability to make slight modifications). Sitting down with the chef on two occasions (and working with him directly over email) made us really feel like we had ownership over our menu, which was not only fun, but also important as great food was a top priority for us. He had great suggestions, the in-person tastings/meetings were great (and delicious!), and the Grandale staff always took great care of us.

The only reason that I wouldn't give them a 5/5 was due to two items on the wedding day - we had been told that the staff would come down with drinks and appetizers to the area where we were taking photos during the cocktail hour, about a 5-minute walk from where cocktail hour was taking place. No one came down and by the time we finished and got up to the cocktail hour, the appetizers were gone. So, we never actually got to taste our appetizers and were disappointed as the expectation was that we would have been able to. The second item was that, during our tasting we had discussed with the chef that our fish dish needed some sauce as it was a little dry (not the fish, which was cooked well, just the dish on the whole). He made the note of it, and we saw it on the revised menu that we'd approved, but unfortunately it was not on the plate come wedding day. It was delicious, but really could have used that sauce we discussed!

Despite a few glitches on the wedding day, I still would absolutely recommend Grandale. I would just ensure that you triple/quadruple-check with them exactly how things will go on the big day.

Sent on 10/15/2016

Chef Author was great to work with. Every time we met with him and tasted the food it was fantastic. Chef was very responsive to customize the day to be what we wanted, and responded to us in a timely manner on all issues.

However, there are a few things I would like to note. About a month before the wedding we gave the final numbers and did the final tasting. We made several notes about the food for the event including, the portion of gnocchi on the plate, how the potatoes on the beef dish should be crispy, and most importantly that the chicken needed to be fully cooked (a mistake at the final tasting). To our frustration and disappointment, after the event I heard several of our guests had to send their chicken back because it was not cooked, also the amount of gnocchi was skimpy and yet we had a lot left over. Basically none of the commend we made during the final tasting were followed through on.

Overall it was an amazing experience, the food was fantastic, and I would recommend Grandale Catering.

Sent on 05/18/2014

Grandale Catering's reply:

Thank you for using our Catering service and taking the time to share your experience. I appreciate your feedback and critique on the experience.

The chicken critique I would like to comment on. The bone in frenched skin on chicken breast product tends to have a pink color of meat surrounding the bone when it is fully cooked. This product has had similar feedback and we are removing it from the 2015 lineup.

Samantha · Married on 09/04/2011

Grandale Farm was the perfect choice for our catering. We didn't want to compromise on serving a full dinner with high quality food, but many of the caterers we initially interviewed were very expensive compared to their food quality and/or too trendy for the feel of our wedding. We chose Grandale Farm because Chef Author offered excellent food served in a simple, elegant style for a reasonable price, and we're so glad we did! Our guests kept commenting on the delicious food and the catering staff was professional and on schedule throughout the entire reception. Chef Author worked with us to create a custom menu and was flexible to meet our requests. We've recommended him to friends and will continue to do so!

Sent on 11/14/2011

Patricia · Married on 05/31/2010

What a beautiful location and facility. The staff is very prfessional and pleasent to work with. The food is amazing. Everyone had a great time and is looking forward to hosting other events there. We were able to show our out of state visiters, Virginia at it's best! Thanks for a fabulous day!

P.S. The only suggestions, they forgot to put the local flowers on the table that we talked about so the tables looked plain. The seafood pasta should have had more sauce, but it still tasted awesome!

Sent on 06/16/2010

Jessica · Married on 09/11/2010

My husband and I used Grandale Farms Catering for our wedding. We were very impressed with the quality of the food. Our first tasting with Author Clark (the owner) was on the same day as a tasting with another big name caterer in the area and Grandale Farms blew them out of the water. On the day of our wedding the food tasted great, and all my guests said they enjoyed it. We had a buffet but he was willing to put out plated salads and bread baskets at no extra cost to keep our guests happy until it was their turn. He included h'ordurves at a price we could afford, which I did not think we would be able to do.

The day of our wedding we were very impressed with his staff, and how professional they were. One of my bridesmaids was not feeling well, and his staff constantly checked on her and gave her water to make sure she was okay. The staff took care of my guests and everyone was happy, as was I. I also asked him to package a few pieces of our wedding cake so we could eat it in our hotel room after the night ended, and he did so with a smile.

Leading up to the wedding he always responded relatively quickly, but at times his emails were very short and not as detailed or as helpful as I would have liked. But nevertheless, he was very professional and on the day of our wedding he got all of our details right.

He worked with us on cost to help us stay within our budget. Which meant a lot to me because I had a number in mind I did not want to exceed. He also helped us provide the small details at a low cost, such as colored table clothes and bigger tables.

Last but not least, we were able to purchase all of our own liquor which helped us save on cost considerably. This probably helped us save hundreds. His bartender did serve everything for us. We were also able to buy the alcohol a week before hand and store it at his business as opposed to hauling it all there the day of the wedding.

We were very happy with Grandale Farms Catering. I would highly recommend him, he will work with you to help you get what you want for a price you can afford.

Sent on 11/07/2010

Micaela · Married on 04/09/2016

2.5

We had a wonderful experience working with Grandale for our wedding. The staff worked closely with us to ensure we had what we wanted with the food and they provided some excellent advice and guidance in moving towards the right combinations. On our wedding day they were timely, dealt with unexpected meals for vendors, and provided delicious food as promised. We couldn't have been happier. Thank you especially to Author, the wonderful chef, and to Sarah for her great execution on the day of the event. The only reason I gave a 2.5 for responsiveness was solely due to one person who made it difficult to communicate with Grandale. It was not a big deal until we got closer to the event and it became crucial to get faster responses and input. However, that aside, we would definitely choose to work with Grandale again anytime and highly recommend them for their fresh farm to table food and wonderful presentation!

Sent on 06/05/2016