Cakes in Art

5981 Sedgewick Ct, King George, VA 22485 Map · Phone number

About Cakes in Art

Meet the Artist

Karen Seay graduated the acclaimed Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park, NY as a certified pastry chef. She toured the United States working with various pastry chefs at The Mayflower Hotel in Washington DC, The Loews Anatole Hotel in Dallas, TX, as well as working in West Palm Beach, FL, Greenwich, CT and New York City.

Working at The Mayflower Hotel, Karen decided to start her own business designing wedding cakes for clients who wanted both an artwork in cake while also addressing cultivated gourmet taste. Karen is a seasoned accomplished cake artist, with over 30 years of experience and is still in love with her job! She welcomes any cake challenge and her desire is to surpass your expectations in both taste and art.

We meet with every bride & groom for a personal tasting & design session, so we can get to know them a little bit and to get a real idea of the wedding atmosphere for our design elements. We want you to taste our samples and know that your cake will be the best your guests have ever tasted. (We often hear that there is no cake left over because the guests kept going back for more!)

At Cakes in Art, only the finest ingredients available in the world are used. The chocolates we use are imported from Belgium, Switzerland and France. We have selected a Swiss meringue buttercream as our choice of preference for its unsurpassed taste & stability. Our buttercream is made from 100% butter and never compromised with added shortening. We use only 100% pure vanilla and/or vanilla beans. Each filling we use is made with authentic fruit and actual liqueur's, not flavored imitation liqueurs.

The cakes on this site have been iced in Swiss Meringue buttercream using Karen's smooth, borderless technique, and although some appear to be covered in fondant they are actually meticulously smoothed in buttercream! (Unless fondant has been requested or necessary for design elements. Dummy cakes used for stylized shoots and bridal shows are also covered in fondant)) Cakes in Art LLC is compliant with all zoning and health regulations. WE NOW OFFER GLUTEN FREE OPTIONS!! ( Not a gluten free environment, but as I am also gluten free, I prepare all of my cakes meticulously to prevent cross contamination.)

birch bark look cake with handmade sugar berries & succulents. Inn at the Old Silk Mill,...
Gold and blush tiers with fresh flower accents. Rock Hill Plantation House, Stafford, VA.
Handmade sugar flowers & leaves. Stevenson Ridge, Spotsylvania, VA.
Handmade sugar blossoms & berries. Morais Vineyards & Winery, Bealton, VA.
Handmade sugar blossoms & berries. Morais Vineyards & Winery, Bealton, VA.
Handmade sugar flowers & leaves. Great Marsh Estate, Faquier, VA.
Handmade sugar flowers & leaves. Great Marsh Estate, Faquier, VA.

22 Reviews for Cakes in Art

Cakes in Art 1
Cakes in Art 2

Alycia · Married on 09/01/2018

Delicious!

I cannot say enough about how amazing our wedding cake was. I have a gluten allergy, so I knew being able to eat cake on my wedding day could be a challenge. We met with Karen and she provided gluten free samples for me, as well as 'regular' samples for my (now) husband. We ended up having a four tier cake, two gluten free and two 'regular'. Let me tell you, our cake was DELICIOUS!! So much so that we literally had none left at the end of the night. I was happy that our guests enjoyed it as much as we did! The best part was that not only was the cake delicious, it was also beautiful. I showed Karen a picture of what I wanted and she made it happen. I would absolutely recommend Cakes In Art to any bride. You will not be disappointed.

Sent on 03/06/2019
    Cakes in Art 3

Cakes in Art's reply:

Alicia, thank you for your sweet words. As a fellow gluten free eater I know how disappointing gluten free foods can be. I am so happy I could provide you with a cake that you could really enjoy. I loved the design you selected, so elegant. Many blessings to you & Tyler!!

Steven · Married on 05/19/2018

Karen at Cakes In Art did an amazing job with our Wedding Cake. Not only was it a beautiful looking creation but it was also moist and delicious. Our guests loved it!!

Sent on 06/13/2018

Cakes in Art's reply:

Thank you for the lovely review Steven! Marsha & Steven chose a midnight blue & gold cake design for their wedding. A brilliant color combo for an amazing "pop" at their reception. They were easy going and sweet to work with. Thank you for allowing Cakes in Art to be a special part of your wedding day.

Rebecca · Married on 04/21/2018

My now Husband and I were worried about choosing the right person for our cake as it was far from traditional. We saw Karen’s work and meet with her once and knew she was the perfect artist for our 7 layer Game of Thrones cake! My husband went to our first meeting with a folder of designs and papers for Karen. He had a vision and that vision came to life! We could not have asked for a more detailed and stunning cake. Not only were we blow away, but so were our guests. We are so grateful to Karen and all her hard work and dedication she put into this cake. For someone who was not familiar with Game of Thrones, her talent shined through in this cake and she delivered! She was professional, on time, explained everything in detail, had printed instructions on how to properly care for our “anniversary” cake. She also had a to-go goodie bag prepared for our caterer to ensure we had two pieces of cake at the end of the night. This was amazing as we did not eat any cake that night! I’m not ashamed to say that once we got home on Sunday and dug out the bag from all the things we brought home we dug in!!! My only regret is I wish I had more. We cannot thank Karen enough.

Sent on 05/02/2018
    Cakes in Art 4

Cakes in Art's reply:

Rebecca & Jason were a pure joy to work with, so in sync with each other.Their enthusiasm for their cake made me excited. I have never seen Game of Thrones....but I was determined to figure it out for them in cake form. Jason was the most involved groom I have ever had. The day of their wedding came and all of the vendors were abuzz with the Game of Thrones theme, there was just this air of excitement in the air. The DJ even made a video of the cart he generously allowed me to use, rolling the Game of Thrones cake into the reception hall. It was a pleasure working with Rebecca & Jason and I wish them many blessings for a happy life together.

Cakes in Art FAQ

• What is the starting price for wedding cakes with buttercream frosting (per slice, without tax)? $ 4.00
  • What is the starting price for fondant wedding cakes (per slice, without tax)? $ 6.00
  • Which of the following are included in the cost of the cake? Top Tier of the Cake
  • What services do your prices include? Consultation, Custom Cake Design, Set Up, Tastings - Private
  • What types of desserts do you provide? Cakes, Croquembouche, Groom's Cake
  • What cake items do you provide? Cake Stands
  • What dietary needs can you accommodate? Gluten Free
  • Are you licensed by the state health department? Yes

• Vintage Floral Design
    Vintage Floral Design Wedding Florists

Beautiful work AND delicious!!

• Lieb Photographic LLC
    Lieb Photographic LLC Wedding Photographers

Oh my goodness! All I can say is "STUNNING!" If you want a GORGEOUS cake that tastes amazing and is delivered professionally and perfectly, you really need to contact Cakes in Art today.

• May June Events
    May June Events Wedding Planners

Cakes in Art is a dream come true for any bride searching for a wow-worthy cake!! Karen's cakes are absolutely incredible, and her talent knows no bounds. The artistry she displays in each of her dazzling confections makes it almost a shame to cut into... if only they weren't so delicious!! Her cakes make for a show stopping element to any wedding, and if guests aren't blown away by how it looks on the outside, they'll certainly be amazed by how good it tastes on the inside!! I would highly recommend Karen to any couple searching for a stunning, out of this world cake that tastes as fabulous as it looks!!!

• 5981 Sedgewick Ct King George, 22485 See on map