Brittany
Devoted October 2018

What has everyone done with their wedding dress?

Brittany, on November 5, 2018 at 10:32 AM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 21
Saved Save

Did you preserve it? Trash it? Is it just hanging in your closet? I have no idea what to do with my dress - I'd love to keep it but part of me wants to share it with someone else and donate it or sel it!

21 Comments

• FutureMrsKC
    Master January 2019
    FutureMrsKC ·
    • Flag

I plan to preserve it. My mom kept hers and now my sister and I were able to cut it up to use for other things (I am wrapping the lace around my flowers, sisters flowers and moms) and I'm wearing her garter! It's cool to have that, since my parents have been married 26 years!

I'll keep it if my kids want to do anything with it. Wear it, cut it, I don't mind. But it's special to have that available for them. My dress was only about $500 so no sense in selling it, and while the donating sounds lovely, the sentimental value means more to me!

• Shayla
    Devoted October 2018
    Shayla ·
    • Flag

Ummmmm.....hahaha, mine is still in its garment bag all dirty after our wedding! Said garment bag is laying on a bed downstairs. Yikes. Likely I will sell my dress. I dont see my daughter or stepdaughter wanting it (come on....everyone wants their OWN wedding dress), and keeping it seems pointless to me. Its such a stunning dress.....it needs to be put to good use!

• Fiona
    Expert October 2018
    Fiona ·
    • Flag
    My mom had mine preserved for me after the wedding. I don’t plan to have a future child wear it but it’s fun to just keep.
  • Jen
    VIP July 2018
    Jen ·
    • Flag

I've been thinking about that lately so your question is helpful! I've done nothing so far. At a minimum I need to dry clean it, which I will handle shortly! Then probably try to sell it.

• MrsV1027
    Master October 2018
    MrsV1027 ·
    • Flag

It's still in my suitcase lol. I have no idea what to do with it

• JustKidding
    VIP April 2018
    JustKidding ·
    • Flag

Mine is hanging in the closet. I have no idea what I want to do with it. Little part of my wants to do a pay int forward, the other wants to see what I can get, and I sorta want to keep it because I'm selfish. While my dress is sorta time less, I don't a kid would want it.

• Meghan
    Super September 2019
    Meghan ·
    • Flag

I'm contemplating incorporating it into my Halloween costume next year so I get to wear it again. Haha. I'll probably preserve it though. We don't plan on having kids so there wouldn't be anyone to pass it down to, but I'd still like to have it and there might be nieces or cousins who could use it some day maybe.

• stephanie
    Dedicated October 2018
    stephanie ·
    • Flag
    I’m preserving mine.
  • edecker
    Super May 2020
    edecker ·
    • Flag

I want to sell mine after the wedding, but i also plan on adding some pink tulle to it and some other alterations that may make it harder to sell. If i have to keep it in a closet for my kids to play dress up in - then so be it!

• Kristen
    VIP August 2018
    Kristen ·
    • Flag

Mine is shoved in my hall closet. It would make sense to sell it but I just can't bring myself to let go of it!

• Shaureeka
    Devoted June 2019
    Shaureeka ·
    • Flag
    Well if you are anything like me and hate to keep things that will never be touched again then I would sale it. If you have great pictures of it and wont mine letting it go, why not.
  • Tricia
    Savvy August 2020
    Tricia ·
    • Flag
    I plan on keeping my dress. I bought a nice garmet bag that will preserve it nicely. Hopefully I’ll have a daughter one day that can play dress up in it or I’ll wear it again when we play dress up together. Who know if that will actually happen but that’s my reasoning behind keeping it for now!
  • Nikita
    VIP April 2019
    Nikita ·
    • Flag
    I'm marrying into a family who is crafy and loves to recycle fabrics and materials for future family things. Such as I'm getting some of the lace from my FSIL's dress to make a veil.

I'll be keeping mine for potential parts!
  • Mrs. Cohen
    Super October 2018
    Mrs. Cohen ·
    • Flag

I love my dress so much that I want to wear it again lol At least on our 1 year wedding anniversary I thought it would be fun if I put my dress back on and hubby wears a nice suit and we just have a romantic dinner at home Smiley smile So for now, I just had my dress professionally cleaned, but probably in a year or so I'll take it to get preserved.

• Mrs. Cohen
    Super October 2018
    Mrs. Cohen ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

LOL I love the idea of incorporating your wedding gown into a Halloween costume for future years to come! I may have to steal this idea....

• Winter Bride
    Expert December 2018
    Winter Bride ·
    • Flag
    I plan to remove dye it black and shorten it to a formal opera dress.
  • Winter Bride
    Expert December 2018
    Winter Bride ·
    • Flag
    *remove the train and dye it black
  • Kayla
    September 2020
    Kayla ·
    • Flag
    If like to say I’d donate it but it’s my baby and I want To keep it forever lol!! It’s in my closet!
  • Lynnie
    WeddingWire Administrator October 2016
    Lynnie ·
    • Flag

I got mine dry cleaned right away, but now it's just hanging in an extra closet at my father-in-law's house!! I can't decide either!!

• Brittany
    Dedicated March 2020
    Brittany ·
    • Flag

I read this amazing story once that this lovely lady had no clue what to do with her dress after the wedding. It was hanging in her closet ( I can't remember if she had it cleaned and preserved or not ), and decided on their one year anniversary she would wear it. She cooked dinner in it and basically spent her anniversary with her husband at home dressed up again. She continued the tradition every year (minus the years she was pregnant and couldn't fit into it). I plan on keeping mine and maybe doing this a couple of times, and then hanging on to it for my children. A lot of things from my wedding are either passed down and sentimental or newer and still personally close. It's honestly whatever you feel happiest and most comfortable doing. I hope that helps!

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics