Danielle
Super August 2013

Was your dress exactly what you thought you wanted?

Danielle, on April 17, 2013 at 6:21 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 60
Saved Save

I was just thinking about this -

Before I went dress shopping, I had printed out a whole bunch of photos of exactly what I thought I would LOVE in a dress. I thought I would love a very fitted lace gown however, this is NOT AT ALL what I picked as "the one". I was actually super surprised with myself and very surprised how all the dresses I thought I would love... I didn't!

Anyone else have this experience? Or did you pick the dress you thought you were going to?

Photo is of the dress I picked.. however mine is ivory not blush! It's in for alterations right now - altering the neck to a sweetheart and the length/bustle are currently being worked on as well. A wee bit different than a fitted lace dress!

60 Comments

• Mrs Roberts
    VIP March 2013
    Mrs Roberts ·
    • Flag

Before I went dress shopping I circled the dresses that I like and wanted to try on.. The very last dress that I picked in the DB book was the dress I ended up loving the most.. I only went dress shopping once because I hate going shopping period. lol

• Bee
    VIP January 2013
    Bee ·
    • Flag

To be honest no, it isn't. And, I wouldn't tell anyone else, but I still wish I had chosen something different. I dont really like it.

• Lirana
    VIP October 2013
    Lirana ·
    • Flag

I actually saw "my dress" when trying on BM dresses for my sister's wedding. When I went dress shopping, "my dress" WAS my dress. Nothing else compared. Without going into all of the sordid details, this dress has been sitting in my closet for 4 years now, and even though it's not being sold anymore, I still love it. (PS Not me in the pic)

• Mr.&MrsWKP
    Super May 2014
    Mr.&MrsWKP ·
    • Flag

My dress was NOTHING I wanted but when I get finished with it, It will be EVERYTHING I invisioned.

• Joanne
    Super October 2013
    Joanne ·
    • Flag

When I first started dress shopping, I did not know what I wanted. Once I started looking at dresses, I started researching dresses that I though would look great on me and fit my personality. I love to be clean cut, chic, and I like to be noticed at times. So I loved how a mermaid style dress fit me.

I know I didn't want to have the same boring dress that everyone in my family was getting. So I looked for something that stood out.

Once I knew what I liked and hated, it was pretty easy. I make a couple of appointments and did a few fittings. To me it was fun. I loved everyone telling me how beautiful a dress lokked and I felt pretty. In the end, my eye landed on a Ramona Keveza gown. It had to be the one for me!

In my opinion, it was easy and I was excited.

• Micachoo
    Super May 2013
    Micachoo ·
    • Flag

Nope. I told everyone that I didn't want lace.

Came across my dress with the ruffles and the lace and said "Meh, I'll try it, I guess" and LOVED IT! Still can't believe I got a lace dress, even tho it's not lacey lace. But I'm so excited

• Jennifer
    Expert July 2013
    Jennifer ·
    • Flag

Nope. I didn't want lace or poofy or a long train. My dress is all 3 of those!

• Kaila
    Dedicated June 2013
    Kaila ·
    • Flag

I had the same experience. We all went in looking for a fit and flare to show off my waistline. Then, against everyones advice, I grabbed an A-line dress that caught my eye-- as soon as I tried it on I knew it was my dress, it was perfect and actually highlighted my waist more. I guess you just have to be open.

• ... just add coffee
    VIP October 2013
    ... just add coffee ·
    • Flag

Mine is nothing like that I thought I'd go for. I was looking for something really simple and kind of a flowy material without any kind of train. And it had to have straps.

Well, I don't think I even tried on a dress that fit any of those descriptions.

I wound up with this (still needs to be altered/steamed/etc...):

• Mrs.Cullen
    Expert September 2013
    Mrs.Cullen ·
    • Flag

I was so far off from my dress! I went in wanting a Ball gown lace dress with a v-neck, black sash, button up back, no train, no bling, and wide straps. I tried on 2 dresses that fit my "dream dress" and hated them both! the ball gown did not flatter my shape at all, the sash highlighted all my baby weight, and the v-neck did nothing for my girls! I was quite sad. But "the dress" is so pretty! It's an A line organza dress, with a sweet heart neckline, re-embroidered lace, bling, semi cathedral train, lace up back, but it did have the wide straps. I wouldn't change a thing about it! It's funny how these things work out!

• *Mrs.Snyder
    Super November 2013
    *Mrs.Snyder ·
    • Flag

No I wanted lace all lace but didn't get any lace and love my dress got my idea actually from syttd and then compiled ideas and wouldn't settle for less

• Val
    Master May 2013
    Val ·
    • Flag

I knew I wanted a fun and frilly dress.. I loved the mermaid look and bottom of the dress in first pic but sadly the bridal store didn't have it..when I tried on my dress it was similar to the first dress.. It has a dropped waste and the bottom was the same just not a mermaid style.

• TeeBee
    Super August 2013
    TeeBee ·
    • Flag

When I first started dress shopping I had an open mind as I really wasn't sure what I wanted. But the first time I tried on dresses I really liked the mermaid style and so I thought that's what I would end up with. But I didn't....I absolutely LOVE my dress and can't wait for it to come in!

• MonkeysandBananas
    Super May 2014
    MonkeysandBananas ·
    • Flag

I thought that I wanted a mermaid or a fit and flare. Very simple and clean cut. But I fell in love with a ball gown, very princessy, very not my style. But I love it!

• IrishLove™
    Master October 2013
    IrishLove™ ·
    • Flag

Yes and no.

I knew I wanted a strapless and WHITE stain ballgrown (the bigger the skirt the better) with a bunch of detail and a straight skirt.

What I got

Strapless A-line Ivory(I'm still making it poofy little detail and a train to die for. I also got my straight skirt in stain

Edit forgot to add a picture of my dress

• TeeBee
    Super August 2013
    TeeBee ·
    • Flag

I never get tired of looking at everyone's dresses!

• Mr.&MrsWKP
    Super May 2014
    Mr.&MrsWKP ·
    • Flag

Lol Val you seem to be very inspired by Kim kardashian hunny. The make up.. the dress... Smiley laugh

• Chrissy
    Expert June 2014
    Chrissy ·
    • Flag

Yup. My dress is the one I had been eyeing since before we got married. I went to show my future SIL the dress and realized it has been discontinued. I was able to buy the sample gown and a veil for $250. So not only was it my dream dress, but also my dream price.

• Z
    Master May 2012
    Zoe ·
    • Flag

Yup-- I wanted big and poofy, although I admit when I went dress shopping I actually didn't even pick out My Dress to try on-- the nice clerk saw what I'd picked out and slipped mine into the stack, and it turned out she was right-- I loved it, and, 15 years later, have never seen one I like better!

• Val
    Master May 2013
    Val ·
    • Flag

@mr&mrsWKP..I tried on that Vera Wang dress at Davids bridal that she designed for Kim but that dress was to heavy.. Yes I like Kim kardashians style she is beautiful and glamorous.

Comment on this discussion