We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Mrs. Smith-Smith To Be
Expert May 2015

I didn't mean to but I couldn't help myself....

Mrs. Smith-Smith To Be, on September 10, 2014 at 7:33 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 12
Saved Save

So...FH is at football practice and I'm home alone....a tiny voice told me to go try my dress on. I tried to ignore it...really, I did. But the more I ignored it, the louder it got!!!

I did not want to take it off!! I forgot how much I absolutely love this dress!!

But as I was standing infront of the mirror, I realized, it was too....fluffy! It's a ballgown...and has two layers of crinkolin (?) underneath. I think I can get away with one, as I will be wearing an a-line slip. I'm not seeing my seamstress until Jan so I have some time to think about it...

Has anyone removed some of their "fluff" from their ballgown?

12 Comments

• KaylaP
    VIP September 2014
    KaylaP ·
    • Flag

Did you take pictures?

• Mrs. Smith-Smith To Be
    Expert May 2015
    Mrs. Smith-Smith To Be ·
    • Flag

Ha! No!! I was in my pj's, no makeup, undone hair....I looked like "Jake from State Farm".. hideous! Lol!

• KarenM
    Master November 2014
    KarenM ·
    • Flag

Jake from State Farm? That's stinking hilarious! LOL! I have some stiff mesh fabric under my dress - my seamstress made some mention of "hemming" it. I laughed my ass off and told her a pair of scissors will do.

• Mrs. Smith-Smith To Be
    Expert May 2015
    Mrs. Smith-Smith To Be ·
    • Flag

Humor is the key to life....and less grey hair!

My slip has medium fluff...but when you add the fluff that's already under the dress, I feel like I'm standing in add puddle of tulle! It's just too much for my liking. I tried to pull back on some of the crinoline to get an idea of how it would look but wasn't very successful!

• M
    Dedicated May 2015
    Morgan ·
    • Flag

Mine is tea length with minimal fluff and poof. I've never really been a girly girl. But I even thought of making my dress shorter (to right below the knee, as I am 5'4). It would make it shorter, a little more flirty, and fluffy. But I decided against it. Things like "What if the wind blew too hard" came to mind. It's all in your own personal style. If you're a girly girl, keep the fluff. Just remember it is YOUR wedding day! Best of luck.

• McKony
    VIP April 2015
    McKony ·
    • Flag

One of my clients was just telling me she thought her dress was too full & had it 'defluffed'. You should be able, if you decide.

• SweetestLeslie
    Super October 2014
    SweetestLeslie ·
    • Flag

Lmaooo! Jake from state farm though! Ha!

• TiffanyShay
    Master October 2014
    TiffanyShay ·
    • Flag

Why don't you leave off the slip if it's adding on more fluff? A slip isn't always needed.

• KayDwitWill
    Master May 2015
    KayDwitWill ·
    • Flag

Love Jake from State Farm. LOL

• Emily & Rob
    Dedicated November 2015
    Emily & Rob ·
    • Flag

The next time you try it on, tuck one of the layers of tulle in between your legs and you'll get an idea of how it will look "defluffed". That's what my seamstress did when we were deciding whether to get rid of the extra layers of tulle.

• heidi
    VIP October 2014
    heidi ·
    • Flag

There's an episode of "Say Yes to the Dress" where the girl is in her final fitting for her ball gown and she realizes it has too much fluff. She has trouble sitting down. They cut out a layer of tulle from underneath and it made a big difference. She was happy.

• SarahJ
    Expert October 2014
    SarahJ ·
    • Flag

I removed some of the crinoline from my dress and I love it even more!

My petticoat had some fluff too but I took that part our as well, so now it is more of a slip to keep the shape. There is now just one row of crinoline near the bottom. I have another fitting tomorrow, wish me luck ladies Smiley smile

Comment on this discussion

Related articles