We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Felicia
Dedicated September 2021

Help me dress my mom!!!

Felicia, on January 17, 2021 at 9:00 AM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 14
Saved Save

Hi Brides and Brides to be!

Our colors are cardinal red and gold (FH鈥檚 Alma mater鈥檚 colors 馃檮 - dont let FH pick colors while wine tasting) with peach and white accents. Our decor really plays on the cardinal and gold and has an elegant romantic feel. Groomsmen will be wearing black on black tuxedos with gold ties (FH was not on board with gold colored suits not his style and really wants a tuxedo). Bridesmaids will be wearing a wine red color as I wanted the dresses to be a bit more subdued since cardinal is kind of in your face.
My mom asked if it would be ok if she can wear something in black or navy blue to match the groomsmen and my dad (charcoal gray) because she isn鈥檛 comfortable in colors. I want her to be comfortable and feel her best. Does the MOB dress have match the wedding party or colors? Will anyone care or notice?
Also, should I have my FMIL match my mom somewhat? We don鈥檛 have a relationship so idk how comfortable I am suggesting what I think she should wear.
Others on a FB group said to put my mom in burgundy, gold or silver, and while those colors are beautiful I know my mom won鈥檛 be here for it and I just want her to be comfortable so can enjoy the day too. Thoughts on MOB not matching the wedding colors?

14 Comments

Latest activity by Felicia, on January 17, 2021 at 11:25 PM
  • Katie
    Super August 2020
    Katie
    • Flag
    Hi Felicia! My mom is self conscious as well, so I let her and my MIL chose the colors they want. They both got their dresses at David鈥檚 Bridal and were beautiful! David鈥檚 let my mom return her dress if she didn鈥檛 like it, so it was nice she had that flexibility and made the process for her more comfortable. Our colors were peach, white and sandy tan. Both moms selected a soft blush that complimented the bridesmaids dresses (peach). The professionals at the store did a great job of guiding them and helped them select complimentary colors. For some reason if a store professional makes a suggestion my mom loves it, but if I make the same one it doesn鈥檛 go over well 馃槀. I did purchase fabric samples for each mom to take with them as the store associate will ask what the scheme is.
    I think if the MOB doesn鈥檛 match, for me, not a big deal at all. I鈥檇 rather a MOB who feels good and smiling then frowning because she doesn鈥檛 like her dress 馃槀馃尮馃尶鉂わ笍
  • Meghan
    Devoted September 2021
    Meghan
    • Flag
    I鈥檓 unsure if there are traditions when it comes to MOB dresses, but I鈥檓 letting my mom pick whatever color and style she wants. I want her to feel comfortable and beautiful in what she wears.

We鈥檙e planning on champagne for bridesmaid dresses and navy for the guys. My mom has so far has been trying on navy, gray, and purple for dresses.
  • V
    Master July 2019
    Veronica
    • Flag

Moms don't need to match anyone. They should wear whatever dress they love and feel comfortable in. The only color they shouldn't wear is whatever color the bride is going to wear. Since your mom doesn't like color then blue or black would be perfect. I would let your future mother-in-law decide for herself unless she asks your input. If so, you could suggest colors, but I wouldn't mandate.

• Connie
    Dedicated December 2021
    Connie
    • Flag

You are so sweet to be considerate of what your mom would be comfortable in over how things match! There are so many colors that could would compliment cardinal and gold or could be a subdued version of the color palette. She might like a nude or champagne colored dress, or even a charcoal gray that matches the men and maybe a dark red necklace or a single red rose to help tie in the cardinal color without being overwhelming. Often when people don't want to wear strongly colored dresses, it can be due to insecurities or not wanting to bring attention to themselves. If that is the case for your mom, JJ's House has absolutely beautiful MOB dresses that are modest and mature. I know at least 2 MOBs who have ordered their dresses from here and loved them! They have lots of color choices for each style, too. Here a some examples of them:

Help me dress my mom!!! 1

Help me dress my mom!!! 2

• Michelle
    Rockstar April 2021
    Michelle
    • Flag
    Your color scheme sounds beautiful! Im letting my FMIL & stepmom choose their own colors- I want them to feel/look their absolute best & they know what colors look best on them. Our colors are red, charcoal and cream- my stepmom is going to wear a charcoal pant suit & my FMIL is going to wear a shade of red (she鈥檚 not sure if it鈥檒l be a dress or pant suit).
  • J
    Dedicated November 2021
    J W
    • Flag
    Our colors are burgundy, black, ivory, and rose gold. My mom chose a dark purple dress and his mom chose a navy dress from David's bridal. I didn't suggest colors to them at all, they both just tried on dresses and sent me pictures. They both made sure they wouldn't clash with the wedding party since both our brothers and my grandmother are in it so they would be in pictures with our moms. Otherwise though there won't be many pictures with the wedding party and the moms so they don't necessarily need to match. I do suggest David's bridal (they both found dresses there) but to look in the bridesmaids dresses rather than MOB as they both felt the MOB section was rather matronly for their tastes. Another site that they found pretty dresses on was jjshouse but I can't testify to their quality since I haven't ordered anything from them.
  • Michelle
    VIP October 2022
    Michelle
    • Flag
    Let them wear any color they want. The navy seems random but pretty if they look flattering in it.

Take a look at Nordstrom, Dillards, Macy's etc for a pretty dress they like.
  • Felicia
    Dedicated September 2021
    Felicia
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you 馃槉 I agree with you! I would rather she be in her own color, than a color she wears just to match the wedding but then she鈥檚 uncomfortable the entire time!

Fabric samples is a great idea. 鈽猴笍 I鈥檓 getting excited for the MOB dress shopping experience now. 鉁
  • Felicia
    Dedicated September 2021
    Felicia
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I love the colors your considering! I love champagne and navy together.

Where did you find champagne bridesmaids dresses?
  • Felicia
    Dedicated September 2021
    Felicia
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Phew! I was worried there鈥檚 some etiquette or tradition I wasn鈥檛 aware of regarding matching!

I鈥檓 really glad that鈥檚 not the case. And I love your approach. If FMIL asks, I鈥檓 happy to provide input, otherwise, I trust her to want to look her best. 鈽猴笍
  • Felicia
    Dedicated September 2021
    Felicia
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    These dress options are 馃敟 thank you for recommending g JJs House! I鈥檒l send my mom the link and these dresses so she can look for herself! 馃檹
  • Felicia
    Dedicated September 2021
    Felicia
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Oh I love your color scheme too. Talk about beautiful 馃グ

I love that your step mom is wearing a charcoal pantsuit!! I like that take on it as opposed to a dress. It鈥檒l make such a beautiful statement too.
  • Felicia
    Dedicated September 2021
    Felicia
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    A friend of mine鈥檚 mom got her dress in the David鈥檚 Bridal bridesmaid section and now I鈥檓 here for it! I鈥檒l definitely check it out.

These forums are so helpful; my mind is sufficiently set at ease now.
    Your colors sound beautiful together
  • Felicia
    Dedicated September 2021
    Felicia
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    鈥淭he navy seems random鈥 was my exact reaction lol 馃槀 馃槅 馃ぃ my mom鈥檚 like 鈥淚鈥檒l make it work, I promise鈥 so I鈥檓 going to see if we can run with it for now.

Oh dillards!! Idk why I didn鈥檛 think of dillards. Thank you!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles