A.Magill.Since.May
Master May 2018

Heirloom Wedding Dress Update

A.Magill.Since.May, on March 18, 2018 at 10:32 PM

Posted in Wedding Attire 28

I've posted the progress of my dress (30 years old, worn by my FMIL at her wedding) and you can find the original pictures in my profile. This was my last fitting that my mom and sister were finally able to attend with me. The only thing that may change now is a bigger petticoat because I love the...

I've posted the progress of my dress (30 years old, worn by my FMIL at her wedding) and you can find the original pictures in my profile. This was my last fitting that my mom and sister were finally able to attend with me. The only thing that may change now is a bigger petticoat because I love the details on the skirt and think it being fuller is perfect. Here's the update!!!

Final Dress Fitting 1 (Bustle)cfb_913524.jpgFinal Dress Fitting 2cfb_913526.jpgFinal Dress Fitting 3cfb_913528.jpgFinal Dress Fitting 4cfb_913530.jpgFinal Dress Fitting 5cfb_913532.jpgFinal Dress Fitting 6cfb_913534.jpg

28 Comments

• A.Magill.Since.May
    Master May 2018
    A.Magill.Since.May ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I understand not wearing a dress you are not in love with, even if it is your mother's, but telling her to just sell it on Craigslist is so hurtful!

My FH had two sisters, but like I mentioned above FMIL was really petite at the time of the wedding and her daughters are taller and bigger, so they really didn't have the option to wear it. FMIL says it's proof I belong in the family that her dress just automatically fit me nearly perfectly.

My parents had a very low-key JOP wedding and she never had a wedding dress or any thing like that, so I really appreciate being able to incorporate traditional elements from FH's side.
  • A.Magill.Since.May
    Master May 2018
    A.Magill.Since.May ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you! I was so nervous about the bustle, and that it would look weird because I didn't like most of the examples I could find on Pinterest. I decided to just trust my seamstress and it worked out beautifully!
  • Michelle
    VIP September 2018
    Michelle ·
    • Flag
    That is awesome! Why a special dress for such a special day!
  • WED18
    July 1993
    WED18 ·
    • Flag

So beautiful! That train is all heart eyes and I think it's one of the best bustled trains I've seen on here!

• Amy
    Devoted April 2018
    Amy ·
    • Flag

It's coming out so beautiful! I absolutely love the top!

• A.Magill.Since.May
    Master May 2018
    A.Magill.Since.May ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you! Now we'll just have to hope we can replicate the way the seamstress did it on the wedding day with all of the tucking and folding lol
  • Mrs. McMurry
    Devoted June 2018
    Mrs. McMurry ·
    • Flag
    I absolutely LOVE this idea and have been waiting to see the results! You look stunning and the dress is gorgeous!!
  • TANYA
    Dedicated May 2018
    TANYA ·
    • Flag
    Wow what a BEAUTIFUL dress!! It's so awesome that you can wear it 30 years later and it still looks AMAZING.
    I hope one day my daughter will want to wear my dress (or a further daughter in law)... so i kinda chose my dress with that in mind.

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics