Stacey
Super October 2018

Gown size

Stacey, on December 5, 2017 at 12:49 PM Posted in Wedding Attire

I ordered my dress a few months ago and based the size decision off the advice of the salon owner. After reading some horror stories on WW I am getting nervous. They based the size recommendation on my hip measurements (I have big hips!) and said I was between an 8 & 10. We went with the 10 because they said it would be easier to take in than out. Here's the thing...the sample was a 4, it was tight on the hips for sure, but not uncomfortable and it zipped without trouble. It was big up top, and I am worried that 1.) a size 8 would have been more appropriate given the 4 wasn't suffocating 2.) it will be too hard to take in up top because it will be huge up there. It's too late to cancel the order, I guess I'm just wondering if anyone else has been through this and how many sizes can a dress be taken in? It is beaded head to toe and has an open back if that makes any difference. I am extra freaked out because I just noticed on the back of the order form she noted "4 fit okay, ordered 10.

Share:

14 Comments

• Stacey
    Super October 2018
    Stacey ·

Cont...I just don't want to be blamed if the size turns out to be way off. This is a reputable salon and they do not do their own alterations so I don't think they are being shady or trying to make more $$, but I think it's weird she noted that.

• happeningmom ·

The salons work off of the manufacturers sizing. They base the size off of your measurements so I am guessing that the size they ordered was ordered based upon the fact it fits your largest measurements regardless of its your breasts, hips etc....take a deep breath....start looking now for a great seamstress so the dress can be altered to fit you like a glove.

• Katelyn
    Dedicated May 2017
    Katelyn ·

A dress can be taken in many sizes. I have a friend who had to order a 16 to fit her hips but is only an 8 or so on top. It fit her beautifully for the wedding, but she spend $700 on alterations. I would plan on needing to get it taken in and budget an extra $500 for the alterations.

• Tina0610
    Dedicated February 2018
    Tina0610 ·

I followed the same advice of my bridal salon, wish I had gone one size down because the entire thing needs to be taken in, including the butt/hips. My alterations are costing $1400 all in, including a 10 pt American bustle, shorten straps, taking in throughout, mainly bc of the beaded meshy fabric that sold me on the dress's look. Just a warning for brides to consider the cost of alterations depends on the fit of the dress but also the material, so take that into account!

• AEW
    Dedicated November 2017
    AEW ·

I followed the advice of the ladies who worked at the dress store. I am a 0 in the bust, a 2 in the waist, & a 6 in the hips, so we ordered a size 6 dress, & it fit pretty well. The only thing that needed to be altered was the straps at the top. I would trust their advice, they know what they’re doing!

• Taren
    Devoted March 2018
    Taren ·

Sample sizes in bridal salons are often super stretched out because many people are trying them on and they are continually pulled, stretched, and clipped to brides. When they measured me at the bridal salon I measured between a 2 and a 4 on top and between an 8 and a 10 on the bottom (I also have huge hips). We ordered a 6 and it fits beyond perfectly. I would trust the bridal salon with this one, they have to figure these things out all the time.

• Stacey
    Super October 2018
    Stacey ·

Thanks ladies, I feel a little better hearing your experiences. Apparently this designer only sends samples in size 4 which I think is ridiculous considering 8-10 is a typical sample, but maybe they run big or something. I didn't even consider that it might be stretched out, that's a great point. I just got nervous because it seems like going from a 4 to a 10 is a big leap. I'm going to try to stop obsessing and trust the salon! @Tina, I am so sorry you are going through that! Yikes, that is a lot of $$ for alterations! Is the bridal salon doing them?

• Tina0610
    Dedicated February 2018
    Tina0610 ·

@stacey I took it home for alterations to be closer to the wedding. The salon was telling me "alterations for this dress start at $350" which sounds reasonable, but I think the saleswoman had no idea what it would actually cost. There's no way it would have been cheaper there and then I'd have to fly across the country with the final dress and figure out how to get it steamed haha. I really like the seamstress my mom found and trust the dress will be gorgeous, so that's all I'm thinking about!

• Tina0610
    Dedicated February 2018
    Tina0610 ·

@stacey I took it home for alterations to be closer to the wedding. The salon was telling me "alterations for this dress start at $350" which sounds reasonable, but I think the saleswoman had no idea what it would actually cost. There's no way it would have been cheaper there and then I'd have to fly across the country with the final dress and figure out how to get it steamed haha. I really like the seamstress my mom found and trust the dress will be gorgeous, so that's all I'm thinking about!

• Mozabrat
    Dedicated October 2018
    Mozabrat ·

I wear a size 12 and sometimes a 14...I had to order my dress in a size 20! (Not to mention I had to pay an extra $85 for the PLUS size. Grrrrrrrrr.....

I think it is insane how small the label size is in bridal. Apparently almost all of them run 2-6 sizes smaller than street sizes. Ridiculous.

Making a bride order a size up 6 from what they normally wear does not make anyone feel good on their special day. This practice is ridiculous in my opinion.

Anyhew, I voiced my opinion about alterations and said I didn't want to be paying more for alterations than my dress was worth. The bridal salon put on the receipt that I would not be paying more than $300 for alterations...so that eased my mind a little.

• Shanna
    Dedicated June 2018
    Shanna ·

@mozabrat holy cow - what brand was it? I wear a street size 12, sometimes 14 and my gown is a 14.

• Mrs.BowmanToBe
    Dedicated August 2018
    Mrs.BowmanToBe ·

I actually had the same experience as @mozabrat. I am between 12 and 14 street size. My salon recommended I order my Morilee dress in a size 20, mostly to accommodate my hips. Like OP, I'm a little worried about alterations, especially if I finally get my butt in gear and get in better shape, but I try not to worry about it now, as my dress was ordered over five weeks ago. We'll address the alterations when it's time; no need to stress about it now.

• Stephanie
    Expert October 2018
    Stephanie ·

I had to order my dress a size bigger, I tried on a 10 and ordered a 12. It fits almost perfectly, they definitely knew that we'd have to order a size up and I am happy I did.

• Will & Tiara
    Expert September 2019
    Will & Tiara ·

Don't worry! They'll get it right. You'll be fine!

Comment on this discussion