Ashley S
Dedicated June 2013

Corset wedding dress question

Ashley S, on March 18, 2013 at 8:40 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 14
Saved Save

Hi! I went for my alterations appointment the other day and while I was there the woman suggested taking the panel out of the back of my dress (about half way down, to my lower back) so that my skin shows through the corset. She showed me pictures and pointed out that it makes the detail of the corset stand out much more rather than getting lost against all the white.

What do you think? I have never seen that done before and it did look good when she showed me on my dress but I'm wondering if that's too much skin to show...? It's only about 2-3 inches wide but I was still unsure.

14 Comments

• TheNewMrsT
    VIP October 2013
    TheNewMrsT ·
    • Flag

Can we go back and you try it on for me sister, that way I can tell you what I think in person???

• Jen
    Master March 2014
    Jen ·
    • Flag

I don't like that idea personally. It may work for some women, but I know that I would be uncomfortable. I don't like my back - that could be why.

• P
    Beginner August 2013
    patricia ·
    • Flag

Maybe she can show you how it would look if you try on a dress that is made that was so you can get a clear vision of the dress and make a better informed decision.

• Catherine
    Super October 2013
    Catherine ·
    • Flag

I'm not planning on wearing the modesty panel myself.

• Mrs. S™
    Master October 2011
    Mrs. S™ ·
    • Flag

I don't like the idea. It looks like the dress is too small and stretched out to me. I had a corset back and you can see the details just fine.

• Trena
    Master July 2013
    Trena ·
    • Flag

My friend had a corset back, and had the panel totally taken out. Man, was that risque! But it looked beautiful on her. Granted, she has the figure for it, small and petite. I didn't think at all that it looked too small as Mrs. S says. I think it just depends on the person wearing it.

• S.M.
    Expert October 2020
    S.M. ·
    • Flag

If you want the details to be noticeable, can you use a different ribbon to tie the corset, that is in one of your wedding colors?

• Hiker Bride
    Expert May 2013
    Hiker Bride ·
    • Flag

I wont' be wearing a modesty panel. I will have about an inch width of skin showing. I don't think its too risque, but I think it totally depends on the gown and the person wearing it.

• PurpleSun
    Master September 2013
    PurpleSun ·
    • Flag

Definitely not my cup of tea. I'm not fond of see-through dresses for weddings as I don't find them... classy.

• Stephanie ♥
    VIP September 2012
    Stephanie ♥ ·
    • Flag

I had the panel taken out & don't think it was too much. I may be biased though because it's what I really wanted & loved haha. I don't have too many professional pictures [& that's all I have on this particular computer] of the back, but I think these two give a fair idea of what it looked like on mine.

• Over the Top♥
    Master June 2013
    Over the Top♥ ·
    • Flag

IMHO and no offense to other women- the idea of a corset was traditionally to sinch a woman in as far as possible. The last thing if want on my wedding day is for it to look like I'd order a dress too big to squeeze into.

• Ashley S
    Dedicated June 2013
    Ashley S ·
    • Flag

Thanks so much for all the input!

I am not worried about looking like I squeezed into my dress at all. I'm very petite so it's more of the "risqué" issue as some of you put it. Ill have to keep thinking about this one...

• FutureMrsB (Aussie Bride!)
    VIP September 2013
    FutureMrsB (Aussie Bride!) ·
    • Flag

Does your modesty panel just clip in and out? My cousin's did.

If it does you can play around with it and decide what you like with no pressure on time.

• Future Mrs.Eversole
    Super October 2013
    Future Mrs.Eversole ·
    • Flag

Maybe im in a different perspective of classy and risque but my entire corset top except for the bust is see through with a lot of beading but I love it because you can see my tattoo perfectly through the beading.. but thats just me

Comment on this discussion