The Hotel Alcott Reviews

29 | Cape May, NJ

29 Reviews for The Hotel Alcott

Alexandria Kochinsky · Married on 03/16/2019

Wedding Planner's Wedding Experience

As a wedding planner myself, I was pretty picky about where I wanted to get married. Coming from the Philly-area, I decided Cape May would be a perfect setting for our big day - we had a lot of history with the town and wanted something intimate.

When I found Hotel Alcott, it seemed too good to be true. Not only were they willing to accommodate my off-season (March) brunch reception, but I was able to hold my ceremony indoors in their gorgeous lobby. For someone getting married in March at the beach, this was a big deal! I had been worried that I'd need to sacrifice charm to accommodate our date, and they proved me wrong.

Working with Alan and Sandi throughout the planning process was wonderful. Not only were they quick to respond to my many questions, but they were always willing to go the extra mile to make sure that we were happy. By the wedding day, it felt like we had a few more members of our family joining us for the celebration.

I can't say enough positive things about our day-of experience either. We didn't need to worry about a thing - it's a well-oiled machine. All of our guests were taken care of, the food was fantastic and the building was the best backdrop for us. It had the historic charm of getting married in an old home, but the comforts of a hotel.

We had a mild weekend, and we were fortunate enough to be able to walk around to take pictures, pop over to the beach in the morning for a walk (literally, it's right there) and sit on the porch to absorb all of the wonderful memories we'd just made.

The best part, is that we get to go back time and time again to celebrate our anniversary. Big thanks to all of you who helped us at Hotel Alcott to make our day so special.

Sent on 03/19/2019
  • O

Olivia · Married on 07/08/2018

We just knew when we walked into the Hotel Alcott that this was the place for our wedding reception. The venue is beautiful and we loved the courtyard area for cocktail hour. Alan was professional and you could easily tell that he has done many weddings before and Sandi was so kind. Another key factor in booking the Hotel Alcott was their top-rated restaurant which would be the food served at the wedding. An additional bonus was that you got to bring your own alcohol for the wedding which I knew would save us money. Alan was communicative through the process of our wedding planning and the food tasting we had before our wedding was top knotch and helped us select our hors d'oeuvres and entrees. Our wedding day was the best day ever and everything I dreamed it would be. We were a little nervous the morning of the wedding when we went to set up because the venue was still set up from the restaurant the night before. However, I knew that Alan was a professional and when I walked into the reception it was exactly as I pictured it. Everything looked beautiful. We had battery operated tapers that we had left off so the battery didn't run out and the staff had taken the time to turn them all on for the reception. We also had candles in glass globes that were all lit. We made it to about half of cocktail hour and everyone was raving about the appetizers and the drinks were flowing. We were blessed with a beautiful day and the courtyard area was a fantastic space. The wait staff was absolutely amazing, the entrees were made to order, and everyone raved about the food, particularly the lobster bisque. Our filet mignon was amazing and they had filled everyone's flutes with champagne for the toasts. The presentation of the food was also fantastic and Alan was ever present to see to everything and he also made sure our wine glasses were always full. The next day, he had torn everything down for us and had the decorations and alcohol waiting for my parents to pick it up. Thanks

Sent on 07/17/2018

Erin · Married on 06/23/2018

We loved our wedding at the hotel Alcott. Alan is very detail oriented and he made sure the wedding was perfect. The food was also amazing and not just your typical catering hall meals. Sandy and Ebony at the front desk were also extremely helpful throughout the weekend. Would definitely recommend!

Sent on 09/08/2018

Megan · Married on 06/10/2017

The Hotel Alcott was an absolute dream come true for our June wedding! From our first meeting to final details, Alan is the absolute best and so professional to work with--he is flexible, understanding, and detail oriented. The ballroom, courtyard, and porches are gorgeous and capture the true charm of Cape May! The food from cocktail hour through entree were incredible. Our guests all left saying it was wonderful which made our best day even better. Without hesitation, I would not have changed a thing about working with the Alcott--it is the perfect venue for a wedding in Cape May!

Sent on 07/08/2017

Stephany · Married on 10/28/2016

My husband and I could not have had a more perfect wedding at the Hotel Alcott. They were more than accommodating for all our requests and questions throughout the entire process. Everyone raved about how great all of the appetizers were during cocktail hour and how great the food was during dinner. We could not be happier with our decision to pick the Hotel Alcott and their wonderful staff.

Sent on 12/27/2016

kendra · Married on 06/19/2016

Our wedding at The Hotel Alcott exceeded our expectations. The chef deserves recognition for the exquisitely prepared food and sophisticated presentation at the tables. The venue is beautiful, well-located, quiet, and historic. Weddings have many moving parts and the Hotel Alcott staff was attentive and very easy to work with, making everything happen as planned. Our guests filled all of the rooms at the Alcott and Sandi was exceedingly helpful in regards to the room block and meeting our and our guests' needs. Alan was masterful in creating an elegant and delightful ambiance. Best place for a wedding celebration!

Sent on 07/11/2016

Ed · Married on 06/19/2016

The Hotel Alcott is the ideal venue for anyone looking for a medium sized venue that is close to the beach, has excellent food, and a team of professionals that will help plan and coordinate the perfect event.

Sent on 07/12/2016

Teresa · Married on 05/15/2015

Wow. It was amazing. We were married at The Alcott last weekend and I cannot say enough good things. The Alcott truly encapsulates what Cape May is about. Charm and elegance. It is the PERFECT setting for a wedding. Whether you are taking pictures on the gorgeous front porch or having cocktails in the charming courtyard - you will enjoy your time here. Alan was incredible from beginning to end and the staff was helpful and friendly. The food was nothing less than delicious. We especially loved the breakfast room in the morning where we were able to spend time with family and friends over fresh coffee and buttery croissants. The Alcott is a truly special place.

Sent on 05/21/2015

Hotel Alcott was amazing!! Kate and Alan were fantastic, so easy to work with. Our wedding was more than we could have asked. Not only did we enjoy everything, our guests loved it!

Sent on 09/27/2014

Nicole · Married on 08/23/2014

I am beyond happy I picked the alcott for my special day! They were so flexible with all of my wants and they put together a beautiful reception. It was awesome to have the guests stay in the same venue as the reception without paying through the roof. We had a gorgeous intimate reception with incredible food and it was within budget. Best wedding venue ever!!

Sent on 08/31/2014

Annie · Married on 05/17/2014

This was the perfect place to have our wedding at. The ceremony location is full of windows, which lent a wonderful glow to the day.

The food was so good, and the portions were generous. They were plated in a beautiful fashion.

The staff was attentive and quick to respond to anything that we needed. Alan, who handled our wedding, couldn't have been better at his job. Whenever I had a planning question, he answered it almost immediately. When I got jittery on the day of the wedding, he calmly and professionally assured me that everything had been taken care of. He guided us through moments where we otherwise would have been clueless about.

This was a lovely place with a great location. I can't say enough amazing things about The Alcott.

Sent on 05/21/2014

The Hotel Alcott was so beautiful to have our wedding at. We really do appreciate the extra mile Alan went to make our wedding perfect. It rained on our wedding day, so we had to go to "Plan B" and have the wedding at the Alcott instead of the beach -- and Alan didn't skip a beat. They made us feel at ease about the rain. All of the guests LOVED the food -- the finger foods and the lobster bisque were huge hits! Can't say enough good things about this wonderful location.

Sent on 05/27/2014

Erica · Married on 04/12/2013

I thought my wedding was beautiful and exactly as I pictured. Kate at the front desk was awesome to work with and so nice! She helped me with any questions I had throughout the planning process. Alan and Nick were very professional and great to work with as well. Food is OUT OF THIS WORLD!!! I recieved numerous compliments on how great the food was. Rooms were updated and very clean. Overall all my guests had a great time!

Sent on 06/26/2013

Joni · Married on 11/24/2012

Hotel Alcott did such a great job for our wedding! It was the best wedding we could have asked for. The food, service, and decor were amazing. Everyone was so nice and accommodating the entire weekend. From decorating in the middle of the night, to changing out floor plan at the last hour, and the beautiful brunch the day after it was awesome! We will never forget this day thanks to the amazing staff at the Alcott!

Sent on 11/25/2012

Christie · Married on 04/30/2011

The Hotel Alcott did an amazing job for our wedding on 4/30/11. It was a pleasure to work with Nick, Alan, Kate & Dan. They each really made sure that everything was perfect for us. I would highly recommend them to any bride - you will not be disappointed! Christie & Chad Watson

Sent on 06/09/2011

Jennifer · Married on 09/19/2009

Wonderful venue for a wedding reception. Beautiful hotel and setting! The ballroom where our reception was held was setup so nicely, and guests enjoyed the space. It fit the 110 people we had perfectly. The guests all raved about the food - everything from the appetizers to the main dish and cake created by the baker the hotel uses. My groom and I loved our experience with the staff and recommend this venue to anyone being married in Cape May.

Sent on 05/18/2010
  • F

Amy · Married on 08/15/2009

The beauty of the Hotel Alcott speaks for itself!!! I loved the hotel. The Hotel Alcott made my dreams of havin a wedding in Cape May a reality!!!

Sent on 05/13/2011

Perfect venue!!
    Great responses to our needs and those of our guests

Sent on 08/05/2014

The venue is beautiful and it was the perfect size for our wedding (about 85 people). It was great to have the outdoor spaces in the front porch and courtyard since we had great weather. Quality food was very important to us, even if it means paying a little extra. We got a chance to do a tasting a few months before the wedding to pick out the menu, and it was great to be able to try all the food options beforehand. We got rave reviews about the food from guests. They do all the food made-to-order, which is impressive, and we got rave review from all our guests about the food (from the hors d'oeuvres to the soup to the entrees) . They plate everything very elegantly, too -- even the slices of wedding cake. For drinks, you have to provide your own alcohol, which is actually great since it probably saved us some money and we could bring in our favorite wines. Alan helped us plan all the details (timeline, linens, menu), dealt with DJ and florist when they arrived to set up, and everything came together perfectly. They even offered to help us get the beach wedding permit. We live out of state, and he made it pretty easy to coordinate everything via phone and email after our initial meeting and the menu tasting. I had a lot of last-minute questions in the month before the wedding, and it usually didn’t take long for Alan to reply. They also had good suggestions for local wedding vendors they worked with before and recommended. The Hotel Alcott does a LOT of weddings, so they are true professionals about it. One thing to note is if you and/or guests are staying at the hotel there may be other weddings going on during the same weekend if you’re there for several days, so one evening we had to walk through the cocktail hour in the lobby to get to our rooms. We stayed at the hotel for two nights in a room on the second floor balcony -- so romantic to step outside in the morning and sit on the porch with a view of the ocean.

Sent on 11/05/2014

The Alcott was a wonderful place to have my reception and they did an awesome job. ANything I needed they were there. They were more than friendly to me and when all was put together it was beautiful. All of my guests raved about the food!

Sent on 09/30/2013

They did an awesome job. I only took one star away because the wedding was expensive but compared with other shore venues, it really was pretty reasonable. there also is no parking which is a pain for your guests if you get married during a busy month. otherwise everything was AWESOME. all the guests loved the food, everything went smoothly, everyone was responsive. i wouldnt change anything.

Sent on 09/14/2013
  • Corrine

Corrine · Married on 05/16/2009

The Hotel Alcott was BEAUTIFUL and perfect for our wedding! The one down fall is the parking lot is VERY far, so we had to contact Cape May County Police Station and reserve parking in front of the building for some of the elderly and a few guests. That and it was VERY pricey, but then again it is Cape May!!! They were VERY professional and wonderful to deal with. We had a few problems, but some were resolved with ease, however they promised to give us one night free in there suite which was fantastic until the day before our wedding when we went to check in. It was a little bit of a nightmare, but resolved! Thank god my husband was level headed because I was loosing it haha! Anyway it is a beautiful place and the food was FANTABULOUSSSS!!! Seriously we still talk about the food. Having our wedding, cocktail hour, reception and rooms in one location was great for our guest and my husband and I! People still talk about how wonderful it was having everything in one area!

P.S.- We had the cocktail hour in the courtyard and it was PERFECT!!! We were hoping for a wedding on the beach, but it due to the wind it would have been a nightmare! I am happy we choose to do it inside because the lighting coming in the windows was beautiful and it was just perfect!

Sent on 02/02/2010

Melissa · Married on 06/30/2018

Our reception at Hotel Alcott was amazing. We received so many complements on the food and the beauty of the venue itself. It was the perfect venue to hold our Victorian vibe wedding. Alan was great at responding to our emails and was a great help in organizing our big day for us. He really did a fantastic job. In addition, our server Tony did an amazing job throughout the night making sure that we ate. He even packed up our left overs so that we could eat them in our rooms later. As far as the restaurant part of the venue goes, it was an A+.

The hotel itself however we were slightly disappointed with as far as communication went with the room block rates and length. When we first met with Alcott we were told that our wedding date would not be considered the holiday weekend. I work in hospitality so I made sure to ask. However, a month after we sent in our contract we received the room rates and not only did they go up in price but was now considered a holiday weekend with a minimum 3 night stay. Reception was not willing to negotiate a price for even the bridal suite and we ended up spending about $600 more than planned. Although in the end the room was very nice and everything worked out, the added stress was frustrating to us.

Sent on 07/12/2018

Val · Married on 10/31/2009

My husband and I were so pleased we chose the Hotel Alcott. They were really unbelievable. From the moment we saw the place and met Nick (? owner) we were sold. The hotel was awesome, rooms beautiful and reception hall impeccable. They were accomodating to a lactose allergy and went as far as to put the dairy free dishes together in the buffet...wow!!! The food was amazing and my guests all complimented and were surprised how good the "wedding food" was. Allen ran a tight ship the day of the wedding - at one point I noticed one thing that wasn't working and he was already fixing it. A couple of guests complained about the front office staff being curt but husband and I did not experience this. Unforunately, I have to complain about the cake which they vendor to the outside. Do NOT use their cake vendor - get the credit and order it separately. Other than that it was a perfect day and I would definitely choose the Alcott all over again. Service, friendliness and amazing food - what else do you need?

Sent on 07/31/2011

Chris · Married on 06/09/2012

The Hotel Alcott was a fantiastic choice for our wedding reception. Nick and Alan did a fantiastic job coordinating with us. The reception food has been touted by many that attended our wedding as the best wedding food we have ever had. It was a great choice at a reasonable price for Cape May.

Sent on 09/16/2012