The Essex Room Reviews

90 | Essex, MA

90 Reviews for The Essex Room

Everything was perfect. We are still getting compliments on the ceremony, food, venue and especially the baconwrapped scallops. Thank you for a great experience from beginning to end. Faye was the best!

Sent on 06/05/2015

Lia · Married on 11/15/2014

The absolute A Team! We knew after our very first meeting with Woodman's that they were the catering company who would execute our wedding in exactly the way we wanted. Not only were they professional and detail oriented, they were so fun to work with and truly serve the most delicious food. Chef Ned is a master of his craft - as if the entrees weren't enough, my husband and I are convinced his cookies are the best we've ever tasted. Looking back at our big day, I can say that having Woodman's cater our off-site wedding was hands down the most critical decision we made in the planning process. Maureen, Donna, & Norman played a vital role in the overall planning and execution of both our ceremony and reception. We couldn't have done it as well without them. Major kudos!

Sent on 10/01/2015

Ashley · Married on 10/18/2014

My husband, Derrick, and I had our wedding at the Essex room on October 18th, it was one of the greatest decisions we made when it came to planning. From the moment we sat down with Maureen at our initial meeting we knew this was the place for us! They were able to stay within our budget while also keeping our wedding personal. We wanted a sundae bar, they made it happen. We wanted a candy bar, they made that happen too! AMAZING! Faye was also a life saver and Ned is an amazing chef. I completely recommend this venue to any couple!

Sent on 10/28/2014

Jennifer · Married on 10/12/2014

The Essex Room was without doubt the most perfect venue for our wedding celebration. Every bride needs a Faye in her life! She kept me so at ease and accommodated every single request. The food was sooo good! They even made mini chicken empanadas! The staff was a lot fun also. Overall doug and I are so glad to had celebrated our first dance and first meal as husband and wife at the Essex Room! Note: this is like the 6th family wedding at the Essex Room, several generations later and they are still making dreams come true :)

Sent on 10/16/2014

Jean · Married on 10/11/2014

I don't know where to start. Faye and the whole team were brilliant. From beginning to end they were so willing to accomodate and also stay within my budget. Always very personal. It was the first place we looked at and never looked anywhere else. The food was fantastic and Chef Ned is a talented Chef. I have to say what a wonderful feeling when I walked in on my wedding day to find so many people working on making our day so special. It was beautiful!

Sent on 10/19/2014

Rebecca · Married on 09/27/2014

The staff at the Essex Room was amazing! They made the whole planning process so easy, and made me feel like I was special. I had such a warm feeling throughout the process, I felt like I was part of their family. Faye did an amazing job coordinating and everything went so smoothly. The food was absolutely delicious! I can't say enough good things about the Essex Room and the staff. I would recommend them 100%!!

Sent on 10/22/2014

Danielle · Married on 09/13/2014

Our wedding was beyond what we could ever expect. Faye Broderick was beyond exceptional throughout the entire planning and execution of our event. We want to thank Faye and the rest of the Essex Room staff for providing us with the most memorable wedding that anyone could ever ask for. The service, food, and responsiveness exceeded our expectations and I would recommend anyone to have an event at The Essex Room.

Sent on 09/24/2014

The entire staff at The Essex room worked hard to make sure my big day was perfect! From waiting till the last moment to confirm it was going to be inside due to rain to the making sure my father had a few cookies so he could take his medicine. This is a beautiful venue with staff that will do anything to make things go
    your way.

Sent on 10/20/2014

Christina · Married on 08/16/2014

Faye and Maureen were so fantastic to work with. The location is stunning, great photo ops and awesome for outdoor wedding. The food was fantastic, 130 people and not one complaint, in fact people went out their way to rave about the food all the following week. Def. worth checking out, I'm 100% satisfied that my wedding was here.

Sent on 08/28/2014

Noelle · Married on 06/28/2014

The Essex Room staff did a great job at making sure our wedding went off without a hitch. They were all very responsive, helpful and professional throughout our entire time working with them. There was always someone right there during the day/night keeping us informed about what event was next (cake cutting, bouquet toss etc.), how much time we had for certain things and making sure we had sufficient time to eat! The food was delicious as always. I would recommend The Essex Room to anyone looking for a wedding venue. It truly is the perfect combination of casual and elegant and the staff was very well versed in what their roles were.

Sent on 07/12/2014

Samantha · Married on 05/31/2014

My husband and I had an amazing wedding at the Essex Room this year! The service we received from start to finish was exemplary, and I would not hesitate to recommend them to friends, family, perfect strangers, etc. Faye, Donna, and Norm were a dream team; they covered every detail of our wedding planning process, and the day of, with incredible ease. They were personable, friendly, funny, and genuinely cared about us. They helped us stay within our budget, and were never pushy about any details of the wedding. The venue itself is gorgeous in the spring. We loved that the room overlooked the marsh and river, and loved the little details inside the room too. The service on the day of the wedding was fantastic. Our guests loved the food and drinks: lemonade and cookies before the ceremony, AWESOME appetizers during cocktail hour, delicious entrees, and really amazing desserts from Topsfield Bakeshop. We could not have asked for a better experience.

Sent on 06/04/2014

Erin · Married on 04/12/2014

I don't know where to begin on praising the amazing job that Faye, and the Essex Room did for our wedding. From our first sit down meeting, until the day of the wedding, everyone was so helpful and accommodating with all questions and requests that we had. A month after the wedding, we were still receiving compliments on how amazing the food was. We were very lucky that weather cooperated and was able to have our ceremony on the front lawn, and was able to get some great pictures with the landscape around the hall. The room was very spacious, and well decorated. I am glad that we added the extra bartender to have both bars open so our guests did have to walk all around to get a beverage. We are so happy that we went with The Essex Room to host our wedding!

Sent on 05/13/2014

What an awesome place! I grew up in the Gloucester/Essex area, and i've always wanted to get married in The Essex Room! Well, on January 24th 2014, that dream came true! They were so very helpful with everything that a girl doesnt think about when she has that "dream" of her magical day. This was my first wedding, so I had NO CLUE what to do, when to do certain things, timelines, etc. The coordinators, Faye and Maureen, were very quick and effiecient to help me and answer any questions I had promptly. On top of the rock star coordinators, and the unbelievable staff, the place was beautful. Everything I had asked for got done and with such attention to detail. There are not enough awesome things to say about the Essex Room at Woodmans! If you are considering, just go for it! You will certainly not regret it!
    oh yes...almost left out how delicious the food was! The chef really knows what hes doing! And there were so many options :)

Sent on 03/03/2014

Melanie · Married on 11/16/2013

We recently had our wedding here and we could not have been any happier from day one.The minute we walked through the door we knew that this was where we wanted our wedding to be - everyone here is great, they are all friendly and professional. Faye and the whole Event Planning team was wonderful, they took all my phone calls and e-mails without any hicups, they answered all of my questions accurately and in timely fashion. The day really was a dream, the room looked beautful, and everything was flawless. The food was exceptional, still getting rave reviews about how delicious it was. We added "Dave the Expresso Guy" to our package and we were very happy with that choice, such a great add on. We really are very satisified with how our day turned out, Thank you to everyone at the Essex Room for such a wonderful job and the perfect day!

Sent on 12/04/2013

Katrina · Married on 10/13/2013

We recently had our wedding reception at The Essex Room and have nothing but great things to say! Throughout the whole process Faye, Maureen, and others at The Essex Room made the process go smoothly. On our wedding day we worked closely with Faye and Norman. They made sure that we were fed, had some drinks, and got all of our photos done in a timely manner. The food was delicious, and the size of the venue was great for our large wedding. Everyone had an absolute blast, and all of our photos outside came out spectacular. Would definitely recommend.

Sent on 11/13/2013

From the second we walked into The Essex Room and met Faye, we knew this was the perfect venue for our wedding. She made us feel so at ease, tending to every detail and asking questions that we never would have thought of. The huge dance floor was one of the many things that we first fell in love with, knowing that we would have a huge dancing crowd, and we were right, we danced the entire night! We knew from the start that we didn’t want a sit down dinner, and several places we looked could not accommodate our 200 guests with a station menu, but it was no problem for The Essex Room. The food stations were decorated beautifully, and every bit of food was beyond our wildest dream, from the presentation to the portion size and finally the taste, it was just perfect. They were very flexible with our on-site ceremony, and had a ‘bad weather’ plan in place, just in case, but the day of our wedding was the most beautiful, sunny, warm fall day, so thankfully, the alternate plan was not necessary. We were a bit hesitant about having our ceremony on the front lawn, being so close to Woodman’s parking lot, but I must say, my husband and I were pleasantly surprised at how private and secluded we felt during our wedding. It’s been almost 2 months since our wedding, and we’re still getting calls from guests saying what a wonderful time they had. We couldn’t have had a more perfect wedding, many thanks to the entire staff and especially Faye at The Essex Room!

Sent on 11/20/2013

Ariel · Married on 09/21/2013

We cannot thank Faye, Norman & the rest of the team enough for making our wedding the absolute BEST day we have ever had!! Everything was perfect from ceremony to reception & the entire staff made sure that nothing was overlooked & everyone was having a great time. The grounds were immaculate for our outdoor ceremony & all of the pictures came out beautiful. We even got to climb onto the roof for an unforgettable photo session! We also rented The Lobster Trap for the after party which was a great way to keep the fun going without having to travel. Our guests are still raving about how wonderful it was - and we couldn't agree more! We highly recommend this venue for your wedding!

The Kipp's

Sent on 10/05/2013

After emailing a ton of vendors in the North Shore area and not getting any warm and fuzzy feelings - I was officially stuck. Until I was talking to a coworker who had been to a wedding at The Essex Room. I emailed them and was responded to by Faye, almost immediately. I don't think I can do justice by trying to explain how fabulous Faye was. She was there for every crazy concern that I had. She has a great personality and luckily a good sense of humor! Every email was answered promptly and politely. Faye was completely flexible with meeting with us- at night!

Faye was amazing- did I say that yet? She made the entire planning process so easy. She helped me with all of my decisions, making suggestions along the way. She was incredibly organized, and made us feel like we were the only wedding she had!

We opted not to have our ceremony at The Essex Room. We had our heart set on another location. I almost reconsidered, as having everything in one location is easier, but I couldn't get over the fact that the ceremony section wasn't completely fenced in and you could see the parking lot of Woodman's through the open sections. However, our pictures at the marsh and in that ceremony section (at night) were some of the best we have, absolutely gorgeous! If you can get over the fact that you can see the parking lot the day of, I am sure you will not see it in pictures.

I definitely recommend The Essex Room. The room was gorgeous and their attention to detail, helpfulness, atmosphere, and friendliness, made our reception amazing. I have been hearing nothing but good things from my guests. Nothing went wrong, they catered to every guests needs, and helped us throughout the entire night.

I am extremely happy with the way everything turned out and I could not thank Faye (and Norman!) enough.

Sent on 09/27/2013

We had beautiful wedding and reception at the Essex Room! We had a wonderful experience working with Faye, Maureen and all the Essex Room staff. We highly recommend checking out Woodmans and the Essex Room for weddings!

Sent on 07/15/2013

Lauren · Married on 05/18/2013

Starting with the actual site visit in the fall, Faye made us feel like your your number one clients. We were the only ones there for the appointment, and you didn't make us feel rushed or unwelcome. You took the time to answer all of our questions, give us a thorough tour, and provided us with lots of refreshments and goodies to take home. It was like trying on my wedding gown - this place was the one! From that day forward, we felt like part of the Woodman's family. There was not a call left unreturned, nor an email left unanswered. I felt like I could reach out at any time, and I was immediately acknowledged and responded to. The expertise and experience that you and your staff have is top notch, and I was at ease throughout the entire planning process, but the Essex Room made it simple and stress free. You always listened to all of our ideas, made suggestions when necessary, and helped us to come up with a setup and menu that was going to really impress all of our guests!

The menu tasting was also amazing! Even though I had basically already selected my options, I was so honored to be invited and included.

As for the rehearsal, I must have changed my mind about the time over and over, and you remained patient and flexible, per usual. It was really efficient, and we felt like we knew exactly what we were going to be doing the next day.

Then of course, on my wedding day - I am speechless!!! You ladies were everywhere and nowhere (meaning, never in the way or intrusive). I did not want for anything! Our families, along with us, were fed and watered and taken care of during prep, pictures, etc., and during the reception, Scott & I didn't even have time to open our mouths to ask for a thing! We were so pampered and catered to and taken care of. Everyone had a blast!

Sent on 06/11/2013

Christen · Married on 09/29/2012

Absolutely not one complaint! Its newly renovated and beautiful inside. Everyone was super helpful especially Faye Broderick. She is amazing. I could literally call her to vent and she would just listen. The food was amazing, the decorations, the seating the lighting, it all was perfect!! My ceremony was supposed to be outside but it rained so I was a little worried when they had to move it inside but they blew me away again! Highly recommend!

Sent on 12/12/2012

Shannon · Married on 06/09/2012

I had a outside wedding and I couldn't ask for a better place.

Sent on 12/12/2012

Lisa · Married on 04/21/2012

The Essex Room at Woodman's of Essex was by far a dream come true for us! My husband and I (I love saying that!) could not have dreamed of a more perfect day for our wedding, and thanks to the Essex Room, that is what we got! A perfect day. THe ceremony was held outside, decided the morning of with the rise of the sun after rainy weather the day before. We had rehearsed indoors, so I was nervous about the change, but the staff at the Essex Room made the transition seamlessly and the ceremony went off without a stitch!! THe cocktail hour was sensational, the appetizers phenominal. THe vegetable crudite table, beautifully displayed amongst wheat grass, had a great selection of vegetables, and all the guests were wowed by the display!

THe receptions was incredible. All of the food was great - we had stuffed haddock and filet mignon. We each got one, so we could share, and it was awesome! The first course was an asparagus dish with egg and cheese - delicious!

Our hostess, as bride and groom we got our own, was fantastic and was there to help keep us on time and help us with anything we needed. The entire day worked so smoothly, we were completely able to just relax and have a great time. By the time the last dance came around, I don't think I stressed about a single thing.

THe little things really made the day special. Those details, like a "signature drink" at the bar and sweet and special candy bar for the favors, personalized our wedding and showed just how much thought the staff put into our event, and how well they listened when asking us questions about what we wanted and what we "saw" on our day.

Every staff member, from the kitchen to the bar to the hostesses, was friendly and welcoming - more than willing to help with anything that was needed. Everyone seemed to work really well together, and they were all happy, accomidating, and really nice.

From start to finish, I can honestly say I couldn't have asked for a better venue to hold my wedding.

THanks to THe Essex Room - for making our day the best we could have hoped for!!

Sent on 05/23/2012

"I absolutely loved my venue! I had my wedding at the Essex Room on 10/10/10.The Wedding coordinator Faye is great & I can not say enough good things about her. She helped me out so much through out my planning & was more than accomidating. My wedding day went so smoothly. I couldnt have asked for a better day. The venue is gorgeous I had my ceremony outside. There prices are very resonable, the food is great all in all its a great place to have a wedding. I would highly recomend The Essex Room :) "

Sent on 04/12/2011

April · Married on 05/22/2010

I had my reception here, and let me tell you, this place was AWESOME! Faye, the wedding coordinator, was SO helpful and so detail oriented and professional. Every step of the way was smooth, even last minute decisions. They provided so much value and so much wonderful food! I know chicken is cursed but once I tasted it I knew I had to have it on my menu! I have been with my other friends in planning their weddings and they had such struggles with their venues. When I chose this place I had a lot of knowledge from previous friends at other places, so I know this place was awesome. People still talk about my wedding and how great my reception was and it was 6 months ago! You cannot go wrong here. Their food is great, their staff is fantastic and the location is gorgeous! I also had my pictures done outside in the garden and in front of the marsh on the property and they came out GREAT! I only had one problem and that was my mirror part of my centerpieces were placed upside down on the tables. And all I can say is, if thats my only 'complaint' of my whole reception, than I feel pretty confident in saying this place rocks!

Sent on 04/01/2011