Sugarhouse Weddings & Events at Elk Forge Inn Reviews

13 | Elkton, MD

13 Reviews for Sugarhouse Weddings & Events at Elk Forge Inn

T · Married on 09/15/2018

LeAnn and Harry made our day so special! With only a short notice, they were able to accommodate our beautiful ceremony and small reception. Although they offered much more elaborate packages, we were looking for an intimate gathering at a beautiful venue. Harry performed our beautiful ceremony with vows of our choice. LeAnn attended to our guests and coordinated the ceremony. She also makes an incredible wedding cake!! Our marriage certificate was immediately recorded as well. Thank you Harry and LeAnn!

Sent on 10/03/2018

Heather · Married on 10/29/2017

Upon arrival I fell in love with the stained glass windows and the feel I got from the quaint bed and breakfast. I was a bit early, but the man at the service desk was really nice and led me to the waiting area. I met with Angela, who through email seemed great, but when I got there she was exceedingly wonderful! I felt so comfortable with her and like we were old friends. She showed me around the bed and breakfast and then took me over to the sugar house. It's a beautiful venue and although I may not use it for my service because we are moving, it's definitely worth every penny!

Sent on 01/30/2016

Sugarhouse Weddings & Events at Elk Forge Inn's reply:

I almost want to hope and wish you don't move until after the wedding. I joke of course but I definitely would love to make your wedding dreams come true! I'm glad that you enjoyed our time together and I hope that you can come and stay with us for a few nights....a nice romantic get away from life might do you good!

We'll be in touch! -Angela

Beth · Married on 05/09/2015

Had my wedding here in May 2015 and it was perfect could not ask for better day

Sent on 07/05/2015

Sugarhouse Weddings & Events at Elk Forge Inn's reply:

Than you Beth! We are elated to read happy comments from our brides! Please stop in and see us sometime! We have special tea parties and holiday events planned all year round and we are always looking forward to revisiting with the couples who enjoyed their special day with us!

I cant tell you how happy my now husband and i are with the service we recieved from elk forge i was told at least 1 thing goes wrong on your wedding day well i have to say ours was PERFECT in every way thank you so much for everything i would recomend you to anyone wanting to get married or even a night away you guys are the best
    Love
    The Bride & Groom (paschke)

Sent on 10/15/2012

Emily · Married on 10/12/2011

We had a bit of an unconventional wedding. We chose to have it on a Wednesday and just had a 2 hour reception with light appetizers and cake. Despite the fact that it was untraditional the event planner and staff were so accommodating to make everything just how we wanted it. We had our ceremony and reception in the conservatory and it was gorgeous. The food presentation was so so beautiful and far exceeded our expectations. The quality was very high. I've attended weddings at other venues that I know came with a steeper price tag and their food was nearly as attractive or tasty as that which we had at the Elk Forge Inn. We are so thankful that we found a picturesque venue with wonderful food and such a friendly staff that was also affordable.

Sent on 10/14/2011

Julaine · Married on 08/27/2011

Wow! What a fantastic place to have a wedding! Oh yeah and we did it through hurricane Irene! It was a weekend long event, myself and my favorite ladies stayed there the night before so we would have plenty of time to set up my diy centerpieces and other goodies. They only do one event per weekend so no competing for the space. Almost everything was done by the lovely owners and their staff, decorating, coordinating, food and service all inclusive. The grounds are gorgeous and the historic house that they transformed into a bed and breakfast was very accommodating and everyone raved about it. As the wind blew and the rain poured they all ran around doing what needed to be done without complaining and with fabulous results. Our entire group was shuttled from the main house to the reception area by the owners son Andrew (a very sweet and friendly guy). One of the owners other sons (Seth) ran and got me the flowers from another room while I was hiding from my groom! Marlene the coordinator even went and grabbed myself and my MOH a beer before the ceremony to calm our nerves. The food which was lovingly prepared by Leann (the owner) and turned out great, and I heard a lot of positive comments about the meal. We rented the entire place (14 rooms total) so we were able to all stay the night there. I highly recommend booking the entire grounds for your event, seriously if you have to cut some other high ticket items to make it happen you really should. It was all so very personal and obvious that they really cared about our special day. Even after the power was knocked out the staff went and got flashlights, candles and an acoustic guitar! Fortunately my loving uncles and cousins are musically gifted and continued the party. We all sang and danced in the candle light! Absolutely top notch and nearly effortless! Thank you all so much for your effort! Now we have a place to go back to for years to come and celebrate anniversaries! Perfect 10!

Sent on 09/01/2011

Richard · Married on 12/18/2004

We were married in Washington, DC and scheduled our wedding reception at the Elk Forge Inn B&B. It was a lovely night - the innkeepers went out of their way to make us and our guests feel very special. I would highly recommend it to anyone looking to get married or have a reception there!!

Sent on 04/11/2011

Katrina · Married on 06/16/2001

This was the ideal location for our intimate wedding reception. The inn keepers went above and beyond to accommodate our requests. Their attention to even the smallest details made the biggest difference. I recommend this place to everyone I know!

Sent on 08/10/2011

This place was awesome! Their event coordinator was very helpful and even though I lived 2 hours away she kept in touch with me and made sure everything was perfect for my wedding day. They had several options of where we could have the ceremony and reception as well as many options for food. It was a great experience!

Sent on 04/29/2015

Madison · Married on 06/27/2015

3.2
      3.5
      3.0

The coordinator Brittany was extremely helpful and responsive to everything we needed and absolutely helped me feel relaxed on the day of - even with a torrential downpour! The venue was absolutely beautiful for our ceremony.

Sent on 08/07/2015

1.8
      0.5
      1.0

I was very disappointment with the venue. When we first visited the venue, I was impressed with the look of the garden, and what they reported they had to offer in the way of accommodation and assistance. After booking with them, things went downhill fast. Their primarily coordinator at the time of booking was unprofessional in her interactions. She was impossible to get a hold of, and at one point completely left the venue for some time. The venue did not take the time to contact me to inform me that we would have a new coordinator for the event, and I had to press them about the issue to get any assistance. After some pressing, they set me up with an outside consultant, who was very kind and accommodation, however since being unfamiliar with the venue herself, was unable to answer many of our questions. The owner's son ended up doing some of the correspondence with us, and to me he seemed to be trying to play my friends and family to spend more money, when we were already spending so much on the ceremony, reception, and accommodation. When the first coordinator stepped back into the picture, she was very rude, and controlling. She was unhappy when I asked to have my friends assist in the decorating, when really I felt like I couldn't trust them with how inattentive they had been thus far, and how understaffed they are. At the rehearsal dinner there was no guidance, and no assistance. The day of the wedding I didn't see the coordinator until I went over to the barn to begin the ceremony. She got to the venue late is my understanding, and appeared unprepared, and was rude to my guests. It happened to rain the day of my wedding, and they seemed completely unprepared for rain, despite being reassured a number of times before the day that they have had this happen before and they could make it work. It's a beautiful place, the primary owner is very kind, the price isn't bad, but the customer service was so poor, and so disorganized, I would not recommend them.

Sent on 05/28/2016

Rachel · Married on 06/24/2017

1.4
      2.0
      2.0
      1.0

I had my wedding here last year in June and I would not recommend this venue! The grounds are lovely, however the staff and owners are unprofessional and do not know how to provide quality service. There was tons of confusion and unanswered questions leading up to the wedding. They told us that everything would be handled, but come the day of, we saw no wedding coordinator, and the staff were young kids who looked like they hated being there. The "manager" Brittany had totally left the business without contacting us. The bartender was just covering as a last minute request, and they ran out of beverages! Do not plan your wedding with these people!

Sent on 07/05/2018

0.5
      1.5

Using this venue caused much stress and tears leading up to the main event. Staff did not always return emails or phone calls, changed their minds about pricing (and in fact added extra things onto our credit card after the wedding without prior permission), were rude during meetings and did not bring things (e.g. tablecloth samples) to meetings that had been pre-arranged. If we could have changed venues we would have, but invitations had been sent and deposits had been paid. The venue was pretty on the day, but the staff didn't turn on all of the electric lights within our paper lanterns, and didn't use the linen we decided on. They had an in-house photographer walking around on the day (though I'm not sure who he was as he never introduced himself), so while I hope they will not use my day as promotion for their business - my advice is - do not judge this book by its cover.

Sent on 06/06/2015

Sugarhouse Weddings & Events at Elk Forge Inn's reply:

We at Elk Forge Bed and Breakfast pride ourselves in client satisfaction and above. We are very happy to hear that your wedding and the venue turned out to be pretty. The process of a wedding can be very distressful for many brides and while tears are common and do happen we try our best to make the process stress free. We are sorry to hear that you are unhappy with the coordination aspect your wedding and want you to know that not only have we changed our methods but have added not just one but two professional wedding coordinators to put an end to any future complaints!

We have tried on several occasions to reach out to you privately with no avail to discuss your rating and your criticism. We have tried to offer not only a meeting in our beautiful tea-room but also a complimentary stay in our lovely B&B.

Please feel free at any time to reach out to us so that we can hear all of your ideas out. We are looking to improve our services so that all brides can have a tear-free experience! Well, Unhappy tear free....we expect lots of happy tears at our weddings!

-Angela

Updated: Andrew, our manager from Elk Forge Bed and Breakfast Inn spoke with this person on the phone regarding the complaints. It was confirmed that HE was the person taking pictures at your event and that not only had you met him but he was the person who took most of your calls. In speaking with you, he offered a token of our gratitude for your business and you had agreed to actually remove the rating you submitted as you openly agreed it wasn't fully accurate as your guests actually enjoyed their experience and your wedding ended up being quite pretty.

We pride ourselves in the process and the final product and we hope that when you look back on your beautiful pictures, that you know in your heart how wonderful your day truly did turn out to be.