Scripps Seaside Forum Reviews

22 | La Jolla, CA

22 Reviews for Scripps Seaside Forum

Giovanna · Married on 05/05/2019

Dream Beach Wedding

The location is amazing! Palm trees everywhere we didn't have to worry about any extra decoration!

Sent on 02/08/2019

Kaylyn · Married on 03/23/2018

We absolutely loved getting married here! It was the perfect venue - my now husband is from Ohio and he really wanted a beach setting, but my mom was most nervous about rain and this was the perfect middle ground - on the beach but with a rain plan! Romie was awesome to work with the whole time, was really communicative and helpful. Our guests had the best time and so did we! Couldn't recommend it enough!!

Sent on 03/27/2018

Karen · Married on 07/19/2013

You want a venue that is going to blow your guests away? Scripps Seaside Forum is that venue. It is absolutely breathtaking. I have had more than a few guests tell me that ours was the best wedding they have ever been to and the location was definitely a huge part of that. We had our ceremony on the grass with the guests looking at the ocean, the cocktail hour off to the left, and the reception inside. The huge glass doors open into the wall so there is no view obstructing the ocean which is great for pictures and for that wow factor. All of our pictures are amazing. It really is “the place” to get married in San Diego which shows by the fact that it gets booked up so fast. Matt was our designated contact throughout the process and he was such a huge help. I’m so happy we chose this venue it was absolutely perfect.

Sent on 08/30/2013

Melissa · Married on 04/13/2013

This venue was amazing. we had guests from out of town and local guests. All of them were amazed at the venue. We couldn't have wanted anything more.

Sent on 05/10/2013

This venue is gorgeous. We had a beautiful wedding, and everybody said it was a lovely venue. We couldn't be happier with our choice.

Sent on 09/09/2012

Cassie · Married on 07/14/2012

The venue is one of the most beautiful sites I have seen. The panoramic views of the ocean speak for themselves. It requires very little decorating, as the venue itself is so stunning.

Sent on 07/30/2012

Aliesha · Married on 03/17/2012

This is truly one of the most beautiful venus for a wedding in San Diego! Right on the beach... the architecture is amazing, and has the perfect size room! We worked with Donna and she was amazing and helpful during the months leading up to the wedding and most of all, the day of!

Sent on 06/19/2012
  • Michela

Michela · Married on 08/07/2011

We loved everything about this place. All vendors that were recommended were top notch and the staff made is incredibly easy for us to plan, set up and have our perfect day as we envisioned.

Sent on 03/29/2014

T · Married on 09/25/2009

We held our reception at the new Forum on the Scripps Institute of Oceanography campus. It was open for only 7 months by the time of our event in Sept. 09. We were thrilled when the coordinator at the Aquarium told us about the property during the planning and were so happy with the service and quality of the venue. The property manager, Donna, is a wonderful woman who is eager to please the brides and allow guests to experience the beauty of the facility. The rental hours and time for set up/breakdown are so flexible. We loved that we were financially supporting an institution that is making the world a beter place rather than renting space from a hotel. And the technology available to show our video highlights of our ceremony and play the music can't be found anywhere else San Diego, if not the entire country. We hope other couples will enjoy an event at the Forum as much as we did!

Sent on 07/21/2010

kellytanderson · Married on 03/15/1995

Marriage Counseling Fort Myers

Marriage Counseling Fort Myers: An Effective Alternative to Traditional Approaches. Here are directions to Dr. Newberger's centrally located SWFL office.

Sent on 03/08/2019

Jacqueline · Married on 05/13/2012

My husband and I grew up five minutes from this venue it was one of the only places in San Diego that really felt like "us." The views are breathtaking and it is the ideal way to do a wedding on the beach! All of our out of town guests loved the indoor/outdoor feel of the venue. Even though our actual wedding day was overcast (it's la jolla so we were fully expecting this), we made the best of it all. We had about 215 guests, so we maxed out this space by adding tables/heaters outside and many guests sitting outside and placed the bar out there. Few tips for those thinking about this venue...be prepared to WORK b/c you have to do a lot of the details on your own (eg. working with all other vendors), there is a select list of caterers you must choose from, there is a curfew on ending time and it is still part of a school, so a bit of jumps and hoops to get things approved. In all, wouldn't change a thing and remember to book early-- we got married on a Sunday in May so you must be flexible...it is booked up!!

Sent on 11/18/2012
  • Alison

Alison · Married on 05/05/2012

Once we had decided on a San Diego wedding, my groom and I knew that we wanted to take advantage of the weather with an outdoor ceremony. Additionally, I loved the idea of a beach wedding but didn’t want to deal with sand. The Scripps Forum lawn, just a few feet above the sand, was the perfect compromise. Even though we had rented the lawn area only (which I don’t think you can even do anymore), Donna was very accommodating with rain plans and providing a room where I could get dressed. One hurdle of planning an event at any UCSD venue is the additional insurance required, but Donna was also quite helpful in figuring out how to do this. Furthermore, I appreciated the responsiveness of Donna and her team at the Forum – phone calls and e-mails were returned promptly. I also liked their consistency – Donna was the one to show us the venue on our first visit, I worked with her throughout the planning, and she was there during our rehearsal, set-up, and ceremony. The Forum was a great place to have our ceremony and the staff made sure that everything was set up to happen the way I envisioned and that everything ran smoothly on our big day.

Sent on 06/04/2012

Kevin · Married on 10/11/2014

There is a reason this venue is booked 2+ years out! The forum is amazing in every way. you cannot beats the views you get from anywhere on the property. When then huge sliding glass doors are open to the ocean, there is nothing better. The sunset was beautiful and there wasn't a cloud in the sky. This place is hard to get, you have to book 2+ years out and be OK maybe with a long engagement. This place is a blank canvas so bring your imagination, but the decor gets pricey since you have to bring those vendors in.

Sent on 10/20/2014

3.5

Scripps is such an amazing place in La Jolla we wanted to see the ocean but not have to have or guests in the sand or break the bank for class. The weather was great we didnt have to see all the surfers or people on the beach durring our wedding. They have a great all open door concept we loved it! They are a little hard to get parking but that can be arranged. You will want to have a wedding planner to help makesure all ends are tied up.

Sent on 06/13/2013

Gina · Married on 08/29/2015

The view is absolutely amazing and breathtaking. Don't worry about how anything else looks inside the venue, just remember your guests will only be looking out to the ocean and admiring that amazing view. The venue is awesome, but better be quick in booking a date, it can take up to 2 years to book a weekend date. I waited 2 years but it was definitely worth the wait. You have to rent everything on your own, including chairs, tables, draperies, food, china etc. (It's a good thing if you want to design it all on your own) And you can only use Giuseppe's to serve the alcohol because they hold the liquor license, but the tradeoff is that you can buy the alcohol which will save you tons of money. All in all, the staff is nice, responsive most of the time and pretty easygoing.

Sent on 10/18/2015

Tesse · Married on 07/17/2010

3.5

We held our July 2010 wedding at the Martin Johnson House, which is part of the Scripps Institute of Oceanography / UCSD / Birch Aquarium complex. It was FANTASTIC. It's a 1920's cottage that has 2 huge decks, gorgeous trees, and a breathtaking ocean view. You have to bring in everything, so having a wedding planner was very helpful. UCSD handles the paperwork side of things, so you have to deal with insurance requirements and rules & regs, which was a pain, but not insurmountable. Parking permits are required so you need to hand those out to guests as they arrive. I highly recommend this location as an alternative to Darlington House or the LJ Women's Club - both of which are wonderful but very booked.

Sent on 09/15/2010

Jackie · Married on 10/08/2016

Gorgeous venue- can't beat getting married overlooking the ocean. The sunset was absolutely spectacular- I am SO glad we booked this place! It fills up ridiculously far in advance- so even if you're thinking about potentially getting married here, reserve the date- you can always cancel. We lucked into a cancellation and was able to plan a wedding in 6 months. They require that you use one of their food vendors and you have to use their bartender- which makes it easier to make decisions! I definitely recommend spending the $ to put a drape in the back of the auditorium- it makes it feel more intimate/wedding like, than a conference room.

Sent on 10/30/2016

Howard · Married on 09/06/2013

4.2
      2.0

Amazing, lovely venue. The oceanside setting just can't be beat, particularly if it's a nice day. We got married in September 2013, during that "heat wave" in San Diego, which actually made the weather perfect in the evening. We loved how open the venue was, and how the outdoors and indoor area flowed together. Our band was set up against the inside bleachers, looking out towards the ocean--the dancing was right up against the stage, but even from the lawn area, you could watch and listen like you were at a concert. Really amazing.

The only thing I wish we could have changed was their requirement that Guiseppes (their in-house caterer) provide bar service (otherwise you can't serve alcohol). The management at Guiseppes was terrible to work with in the planning stages. Slow response (if they ever responded), unprofessional, and expensive. The actual bartenders were great, so the event itself went off perfectly, but the event manager we worked with was just awful.

They also require you to choose from a list of caterers. We contacted almost all of them, and most of them were terrible at responding. The only one that responded promptly was Buckboard, and we couldn't have been happier with them. If Scripps didn't require you to choose from a list of caterers, we probably would have gone with Buckboard anyway (assuming we had found them). But be aware of this requirement if you were considering having, say, In-N-Out or a taco truck cater.

Aside from those two limitations that they imposed, we couldn't have been happier with the venue. Compared to other venues it's actually a great value, and isn't nearly as expensive as we thought it would be.

Sent on 03/13/2014
  • Vanessa

Vanessa · Married on 11/20/2016

3.0

My hubby and I got married here on November 20th 2016! This venue is VERY unique I think that is why this place gets booked out pretty much a year in advanced! So, if you are interested in this venue book now!

I knew I wanted my wedding back home in beautiful San Diego and I wanted a ocean view which is surprising hard to find in San Diego for a good price. When i first inquired about this it was booked. I checked back a couple months later and found one opening and we booked it before we even saw it in person!

Things to note -
    -Parking is hard to find and expensive! You get less then 20 spots if you do prepay for parking. I shuttled all my guests in from a near by hotel.
    -You can only use approved catering vendors that they give you
    -a wedding coordinator is required
    - your wedding can start anytime after 2PM but has to end by 10PM. You can add a additional hour if you want it to end at 11PM but it is VERY EXPENSIVE.
    - Giuseppe is the only company that can serve liquor at your wedding. We were able to provide all the alcohol but, Giuseppe still needs to serve it. Just to serve the drinks at our wedding was about $2,000
    - you can book a additional room for kids as a play room which we did! We paid for a baby sitter who watched all the kids from 4:00PM - 10PM.
    - if you visit the venue it look small. ( trust me that was my first thought) but once everything was put together it looked amazing!

Overall, we are very happy with our wedding at Scripps Seaside Forum.

Sent on 02/17/2017
  • Tanya

Tanya · Married on 07/10/2016

3.6
      3.5

I love love love the actual venue, and my wedding here was perfect. But it is extremely pricey -- for the venue, for the parking (over $200 which I didn't know until after the wedding), for the extra hour, for the liability insurance I was forced to personally take out. And the people I initially worked with weren't super friendly or responsive. In the end everything worked out great, and any interactions I had with Kim the manager were also awesome. But I think the pricing needs to be reconsidered, and their service could use some work.

Sent on 08/28/2016

Cami · Married on 10/09/2011

3.0

The venue is absolutely beautiful, but we spent a year and a half trying to finalize our caterer because the 2011 list of approved caterers was not finalized until Sept '11 and we were in limbo with the catering a month before the wedding. The venue is a little more expensive than other venues, but worth the money if venue is important to you. We had an amazing sunset and beautiful pics from family and friends.

Sent on 10/20/2011

Christine · Married on 10/28/2017

1.2
      2.0
      1.0

This venue is amazing! It would be difficult to find another place like it! My son was married @ the Martin Johnson House up the street @ half the price, however it only hold around 75 people! It was also fabulous. Basically you are paying for the venue only, don't expect anything from Seaside Forum management! They don't return your calls, won't set up time to check out the inside, the only call I received back is when I was paying my balance! We wanted to share our drape with other brides on Saturday & Sunday, that didn't happen. I loved our wedding & so did our guests but be prepared they do Nothing for you but tell you all the things you can't do! I also think for what you pay they could hose off the concrete & seed the grass!

Mother of the bride