MIXTAPE cover band Reviews

33 | Brooklyn, NY

33 Reviews for MIXTAPE cover band

Marlene · Married on 09/15/2018

Best band ever!!

When we booked the 8 piece band for our September wedding at Brooklyn Botanic Garden, Melanie was already booked, but Amy was amazing at our wedding! The band totally rocked it. The guests were dancing the entire night and everyone was commenting on how great they were. They allowed us to choose 5 definite songs that they would learn for us- and then we customized the rest of our set list based on their extensive list. Melanie was amazing to work with. She went over multiple revisions of our set list and gave us good advice about how to balance the music so that it wouldn’t be too alternative heavy :) She is professional, kind, responsive, and detail oriented. She kept us on track all year without overwhelming us.

This band is the real deal - they rocked everything from Beauty and the Beast, Tupelo Honey, MGMT, to Toto Africa, to Give it Away by Red Hot Chili Peppers. I was hesitant to pick RHCP since they are my absolute favorite and I didn’t think a cover band could do it, but I was sooooo impressed by their rendition. Even my parents were dancing to the funk rock!

The ceremony artists were also amazing! We hired a cellist and keyboardist. They were able to learn songs that we chose from Brooklyn Duo’s repertoire of arrangements. I highly recommend this band for your wedding!

Brooke · Married on 09/08/2018

Perfect band experience :)

Melanie and her band were absolutely amazing at our wedding, to the point where I wish we had recorded their performance so I could watch it back and experience them again!

As a huge music fan, the one thing I had planned in my mind for my wedding as a kid was the music I wanted played, but I had never seen a wedding band before that played anything other than cheesy / top 40 music before. I assumed I was going to have to get a DJ to get the musical experience I envisioned (and make the playlist for them!) Luckily my husband went to a wedding a few years prior where Mixtape was the band and managed to convince me to book them without having seen them live before (their online videos don't do them justice - they are even better in person!)

Working with Melanie was a great experience from start to finish, and I'm so glad we booked them. She helped us out last minute in a pinch when our venue dropped the ball on providing a sound system for the ceremony and the entire event ran smoothly from start to finish. She also let us pick out pretty much every song of the night, including when they were on break, which was a dream come true. We had endless compliments about how great they were all night, and for weeks afterwards! Now I'm hoping we have another friend book them for their wedding so we can get to see them again :) Truly a great experience, and I'll always treasure them closing out the night with a group singalong to "Hey Jude".

Natalia · Married on 11/11/2017

MIXTAPE cover band totally rocked our wedding!!!! Everyone at our wedding was blown away by how amazing they were. So professional and talented! We could not recommend them enough! Thank you to Mel, Andy and the whole band for keeping our guests on their feet the ENTIRE NIGHT!!!

Cory · Married on 09/22/2017

We originally hired a DJ and then changed our minds; we couldn't have been happier. Johnny with The Mixtapes was professional and very responsive from Day One. All of our favorite songs were played, the band was professional and courteous, and they just put on an awesome show. Hiring them to play at our wedding reception was the one of the best wedding decisions we made and I HIGHLY recommend them to anyone planning an event that you want to ROCK!

Sent on 10/16/2017

MIXTAPE cover band's reply:

Hey Cory, I'm so glad you had a great wedding but it looks like you got the wrong MIXTAPE, we definitely did not play your wedding! Unfortunately, this is what happens when bands take the trademarked names of established national bands for their own use. Congrats on your wedding and all the best, Melanie MIXTAPE

Elizabeth · Married on 10/01/2016

We used Melanie and Mixtape for our wedding and are still completely blown away by how exceptional they were! The dance floor was packed the entire night, and so many guests came up to us that night and the next day saying how amazing the band was. The rocked every song and had all of our guests moving and having an amazing time. We also used their musicians for our ceremony music and cocktail hour (bluegrass trio), and they were perfect for those too. Melanie was a dream to work with, and made it all so easy and painless.
    I would book them again in a heartbeat and you should too!

Tim · Married on 09/24/2016

If you want something unique and personal, look no further. Friends and family are still raving about Melanie and Mixtape. Melanie is easy-going, thorough, and professional, which made working with her comforting and pleasant. Our ceremony music was top-notch and beautiful, and our party was amazing because of the playlist. I have no reservations recommending Mixtape!

• I

Ian · Married on 09/23/2016

Stop reading and hire Mixtape right now. Mel and the gang will elevate your wedding to legendary status. We had two musts for our wedding, great food and music. Finding good food was easy but finding a good band, not so much. As soon as we watched Mixtape's promo videos we immediately said book them! Mel was a pleasure to work with and she gladly stuffed the gang into a van to play in Philadelphia for our wedding. They are professional, talented, personal, and just plain amazing. Our guests are still talking about how amazing the band was. Thanks Mel and the band!

Cheryl · Married on 08/27/2016

Lauren and the rest of MIXTAPE were absolutely AMAZING. Now that the dust is starting to settle over the magic that happened, my wife and I both keep finding ourselves reliving the music, and especially the dance party. Everyone -- from my grandmother who can't stop talking about her special dance -- to our parents and siblings to our friends -- everyone is stopping us in our tracks to exclaim how amazing the band was. The dance floor was packed from beginning to end, and my grandma pulled up a rocking chair and held court in the back corner of the dance floor just so she could listen and enjoy the music, well past her bedtime. Nobody, especially us, wanted it to end!

Though we coordinated with the band's leader, Melanie, she was already booked for another show that night, but in her place she sent the other half of the band, who were all outstanding. We were beyond thrilled to have Lauren and the other 7 crazy talented band members make the trek up to our summer camp wedding in the Berkshires. We could not have been happier, and the magic of the evening is all thanks to them. We can't recommend them enough and will be trying to get on the invite list for all future MIXTAPE weddings!

• F

Franki · Married on 06/25/2016

We love Mixtape!!! Melanie and her band absolutely KILLED our reception and their performance is the number one thing our guests have complimented us on since the wedding. They have such a wide repertoire and we loved that we got to choose our "must play songs" from their song list. They also learned two songs we requested just for our wedding! Melanie is also amazing - both as a band leader and person. We had a great time hanging out with her when we met to discuss our wedding, and at the actual wedding! Book them - you won't regret it!!

Kim · Married on 06/04/2016

Trust the reviews and book this band ASAP.

Kim · Married on 06/04/2016

Hire this band. Mel and Mixtape are incredible in every way. Music was very important to our wedding. We wanted a band that would play our favorite music, but also appeal to the older crowd as well with classics and some Top 40. It felt like every single person at the wedding came up to us and said something along the lines of “This band is amazing!,” or “Where did you find these guys?!” We were getting calls/texts/emails days later commenting on how awesome the music was. They learned “All Your Favorite Bands” by Dawes and “Now and Forever” by Carole King for us and absolutely nailed both.

Additionally, when you hire Mixtape, it makes the wedding planning process about 100x easier. Mel is an absolute professional and just fantastic overall human being. In addition to getting an insanely talented musician, you’re also getting a wedding planning expert. She had every single detail accounted for, including many things we ourselves had not thought of – she doesn’t miss a beat. We were very grateful for her knowledge, experience, and professionalism. Our family and friends also raved about how great she was with all introductions/announcements throughout the evening. We cannot recommend them enough, and are extremely thankful to them for making our wedding so awesome.

Lindsay · Married on 06/03/2016

I could not recommend Mixtape more strongly. Without exaggeration, almost every single guest at our reception told me that they absolutely rocked. The set list Mixtape designed for us was perfect, they nailed our ceremony music (the only part of the night that made me cry), and they even indulged a couple of requests, including learning a first dance song we had picked months earlier, which wasn't part of their existing repertoire. On a personal level, they were also a total pleasure to work with at every step along the way. I can't say enough good things!

I cannot say enough fantastic things about Mixtape - they are truly incredible. Book them, and book them immediately - you will not be disappointed, in any way! From the moment we met Melanie, we were sold on Mixtape - she is fabulous, a great businessperson and a phenomenal musician, with a true passion for what she does. And, that really embodies the band - all of the musicians in the band are incredibly talented and versatile (they played a mix of jazz standards and cover songs/party music at our wedding), and they bring a fantastic energy to the room. From the moment we did our first dance, the dance floor was packed thereafter for the entire rest of the night. Melanie and the band very graciously accommodated our special requests of "Our Love is Here to Stay" and "Shout", and they absolutely knocked it out of the park on both renditions. If I ever have another reason to throw a big party, Mixtape will be my first call.

• Elena

Elena · Married on 09/26/2015

If your wedding reception was in a parking lot or a field with no food or water or drinks but you had Mixtape there rockin, everyone would STILL be raving about how incredible of a time they had. Basically, if you have Mixtape at your wedding, your wedding reception is going to be the best time anyone has ever had. It's literally that simple! The ENERGY that they have - lead by Melanie's INSANE VOCALS is unmatched. Their REPERTOIRE was what initially drew us to them...we really wanted a band that would play songs that we like, but those that everyone else likes and knows also. They just completely nailed it. It was super fun for my husband and I to go through their list and pick out the songs we wanted them to play, but we left some room for them to use their best judgement. During dinner they played some of the indie songs that were more for us and our friends and during dancing, well, let's just say our dance floor was completely crowded all night long. I thought I would change my shoes into flats, but I actually was unable to leave the dance floor to do so, we danced the whole time! At one point my sisters decided we needed to do the Hora, and OMG it was the best thing ever!!!! It was a serious highlight of the night, and they were able to pull it off, off the cuff with about one minute's notice. We even did an encore at the end and that was another favorite part! At the end of the night our friends were thanking the band profusely and getting their card. Everyone could not stop talking about how good they were - and WE can't stop talking about how good they were! Prior to the wedding, Melanie was a dream to work with. She was so prompt and enthusiastic and helpful. They learned a few songs for us which was wonderful and they did an amazing job. They played our instrumental ceremony music perfectly. I am dying for a friend to get married and have Mixtape come so we can see them again! Best decision ever!! We love you guys!

Lara · Married on 09/04/2015

My husband and I got married on Sept 4th, 2015 at The Metropolitan Building in Long Island City. Do not hesitate for a moment to book this band, you will not be disappointed. Right from the beginning Melanie was super accommodating and communicative, she was willing to work with what both my husband and I wanted for our wedding. MIXTAPE is like having your own private concert, you get to choose from their amazing repertoire what you would like them to play and they play it AMAZINGLY. I'm going to share two experiences with you, 1. While myself, bridesmaids and those involved in the processional were waiting, just seconds before the ceremony started, MIXTAPE began playing music as guests were finding their seats, and all of a sudden they played The Smiths "There is a Light That Never Goes Out" what they didn't know is that is one of my favorite songs which holds many memories for me, and now it holds an even deeper one. We were all dancing and lip singing to the song seconds before I said I DO. 2. "Easy Lover" by Phil Collins was the first song they played during dinner which got everyone out of their seats and to the dance floor, I mean EVERYONE was up dancing, young and old. We got so many rave reviews about the band. I would re do our wedding 20 times over choosing MIXTAPE every time.

Benjamin · Married on 07/25/2015

I have seen the future of wedding bands, and their name is MIXTAPE: A Cover Band for Hipsters. I'd say a solid 50% of the guests at my wedding came up to me at some point in the night and screamed to me "best wedding band EVER!" and they were not wrong. Melanie and her entire band were incredible. From the soft, acoustic "God Only Knows" that my wife and I loved for our first dance to a moshpit inducing version of "Smells Like Teen Spirit," from a groovy "Dancin' in the Streets" to an earthshaking "Born to Run," all six of them (we had the smallest band combo because our venue is pretty tiny, but I hear they go up to 10 pieces!) were on fire all night long. Here's a few songs they played that I highly doubt you'll hear at many weddings: "Party Hard" by Andrew W.K. (learned especially for us!) "California Uber Alles" by Dead Kennedys "Ruby Soho" by Rancid For a punk rocker like me, having a band that I could dig was the most important thing about the reception for me, and MIXTAPE delivered in a way I really didn't think possible. I'll always remember slow dancing to "Such Great Heights" with my wife, and all of our friends gathering in a circle to belt out "Wagon Wheel." If you're a rocker, a dancer or just anyone who loves great music and you're getting married, hire MIXTAPE. There's really no other choice.

Where to begin! We had an amazing time with Mixtape as our Wedding Band. First, the entire booking process was so easy. We emailed with Melanie a few times, then met her before putting the deposit down. They also play at a lot of local venues, but happened to be booked up during that time period. When we did finally see them at the Bell House, we knew immediately we made the right choice. We have yet to see a band match the energy that Mixtape has, and we've been to a LOT of weddings. They were completely amenable to what we wanted to do. They even learned "Domino" by Van Morrison and "All these things that I've done" by the Killers for us. Both are two of our favs, and it really made the day complete. Unlike with a lot of the wedding band companies, we actually knew who was going to show up on our wedding day. Every single person that we've spoken to after the wedding has said "the reception was fun, that band was AMAZING." We both have them penciled in for another event later in life when we can actually focus on the music!

Lauren · Married on 11/08/2014

My husband and I had two priorities for our wedding: the food and the music. After seeing Mixtape at a wedding band show in BK, we knew they had to play our wedding. Melanie and team were a pleasure to work with, from start to finish. She attended to every ask, and helped nail down every detail from start to finish for our big day. They learned a new song for our wedding dance, and did such an amazing job it floored us. So many of our guests commented on how incredible Mixtape was, and specifically how amazing Melanie's voice is. The dance floor was hopping for the entire reception. We couldn't have asked for a better band or experience working with Mixtape.

• TheBarnWedding

Michelina · Married on 09/20/2014

I've always believed that music is the number one most important aspect of a wedding reception, and that music can truly make or break it. That said, I am thrilled that we hired Mixtape to play at our wedding (both the ceremony and the reception.) Each musician was amazingly talented and professional. The band coordinator was spot-on and super helpful. When planning my wedding my ideal hope was for my guests to be up and dancing all night, and because of Mixtape, my wedding was exactly that. Mixtape's repertoire was vast - they play all the music that you actually want to hear and dance to. The ceremony music was simple and beautiful and exactly what I had envisioned. I cannot be more thankful to have had Mixtape as part of our wedding day. I recommend them 1000 times over.

Mixtape played at our backyward wedding in CT last month, and I cannot say enough good things about them. We wanted a band that would play the music we actually listen to, as well as a bunch of fun dance songs that everyone would know and enjoy. Their repertoire is incredible, and Melanie did a great job of taking our preferences and creating a playlist that would keep the dance party going strong all night (seriously, I probably neglected a few too many guests because I was too busy on the dance floor - and so were they!). It was fun to see my relatives singing along to both "You Can Call Me Al" and "Lonely Boy." One guest couldn't get over his excitement that "Heads Will Roll" was played at a wedding. Guests old and young also enjoyed slow-dancing to songs like "Your Song" and "God Only Knows." Mixtape's energy and talent was amazing, and people commented on it all night and in the weeks since. Mixtape also played beautiful instrumental music for our ceremony and some really great jazz for our cocktail hour. They are just so talented. And Melanie was an absolute pleasure to work with through the whole planning process, and a tremendous help on the day itself. She was flexible about logistical changes (parking issues, last-minute rain) and I'm sure she did way more behind the scenes than I even realized, because everything looked totally smooth on my end. I really hope my engaged friends book Mixtape for their weddings so I can enjoy their performance again!!

Tricia · Married on 08/30/2014

I got married this August and Mixtape was my favorite part of the entire wedding...besides getting married of course! :)

From the start of the process, Melanie was professional, accommodating, and sweet. I had a long list of songs I wanted them to play, and she did such a good job of accommodating my list while also letting me know which songs would work and which would not. She and her band even learned our first dance song, recorded it beforehand, and sent it to us so that we could practice our first dance with their version. So amazing!

She and each member of Mixtape was so talented. It felt like an intimate, personal show by our favorite band.They played our favorite songs but also made sure that people of all ages had songs they identified with. They got everyone up and dancing. They also rocked the blue-grass cocktail hour. I wish I was able to see more of it.

Ryan · Married on 08/16/2014

On every measure offered here (quality of service, responsiveness, professionalism, value and flexibility), Melanie and her band nailed it. We feel so fortunate to have hosted our wedding in a city where we could have access to her talents!

• User3719238 · 2+ years ago

I wish I could give MIXTAPE 10 stars since they were just that good. From start to finish, I cannot recommend MIXTAPE highly enough. Great service, super nice band members, easy to work with, responsive to emails, laid back...and fantastic music! MIXTAPE has an extensive and eclectic library of songs to choose from...we were sold the second we saw that they played some Pixies songs. Melanie was a huge help as we planned the evening and selected songs...we knew we were in good hands from our first interaction with her. And we couldn't have made a better choice. My husband and I danced the night away to a fantastic mix of indie, classic rock, and 80s favorites--truly one of the highlights of our wedding. All of our guests raved and raved about how good the band was and chanted "one more song, one more song" at the end of the evening. The perfect band for the perfect evening!

Tim · Married on 05/03/2014

My now husband and I became smitten with Mixtape at our friends wedding 2 years ago. We got their business card before we even had a date set knowing we needed them to play our wedding as well. Best choice we could've made. We got lucky and all our choices turned out great (venue, photog, etc) but everyone knows it's the music that brings it all together. And these guys are amazing.
    We felt an immediate connection working with Melanie and corresponding back and forth - she made all the 'business' super easy. They also have a kick-ass repertoire and were very open to learning the couple songs we needed to have at our wedding and weren't on the list. And brought the house down with every single one.
    On the day of the wedding, Melanie and the guys took care of everything and Danny and I didn't need to think of a thing. It was perfect.