Eco Caters Reviews

WeddingWire Couples' Choice Awards 2009 Winner

• Julianne

Julianne · Married on 06/22/2019

Best decision

Let me first begin by stating that hiring Eco Catering for my wedding was the best and easiest decision I ever made - second to marrying my husband. Christine is an absolute gem and I was lucky enough to work with her directly as I planned my own wedding. Doing it myself with little event planning knowledge, Christine and the entire Eco Catering team went above and beyond to help me every step of the way. They were honest, transparent and realistic in offering suggestions to me about how I could save money, and they guided me to make the best decisions for our wedding day.

The level of service is just phenomenal. Christine was punctual in our phone meetings and always quick to respond to my emails. She worked to help me create a unique package that fit my very tight budget and then facilitated everything from service staff, bartenders and rentals. Chef Rob even created unique cocktail recipes for our “His and Hers” bar menu. Christine helped me order all the ice for our event and even brought serving platters and plated our desserts beautifully, even though we brought our own desserts.

Most importantly, the food is DAMN DELICIOUS. Chef Rob is a genius! Our guests said it was some of the best food they’d ever had at a wedding, and also just in life - especially the vegetarian jackfruit taco. I love that their recipes are created by shopping seasonally at the farmer’s market, so you know everything is fresh and organic.

I really can’t applaud or recommend ECO catering enough. They are the best value of any caterer in Southern California (you can bet I got 10+ other quotes) and their food and service are just more than I feel I truly deserved. I will no doubt hire ECO for all my future catering needs.

Sent on 08/22/2019

brent · Married on 07/07/2018

Eco Caters helped us have a perfect wedding day. Their communication leading up to our big day was excellent, and they were attentive and accommodating during the dinner. But, the food is what really impressed us. Very few of our guests were Vegan/Veg, but everyone was blown away by the quality and by how great the food was!

Sent on 10/10/2018

Nancy · Married on 05/28/2017

Planning a wedding from across the country could prove difficult if not for having such an amazing, reliable, flexible and responsive caterer team like Eco!! They have taken away all the stress in pulling off a destination wedding, handling every challenge with care and grace and communicating with me constantly. I am so excited to see how it all pulls together but am extremely confident it will be an amazing weekdend for me, my fiance and all my guests. Thank you Emily and Janae!

Sent on 04/27/2017

Rosalie · Married on 04/23/2017

I hired Eco Caters, not for a wedding but for a Celebration of Live memorial and was thrilled with everything. I would definitely hire them also for a wedding. While the Memorial was at another location, the reception was at my home and the caterers were there cooking the food all that time. So, when I and my guests arrived home we were greeted with the most delicious aromas wafting from my kitchen. My guests couldn't stop raving about the food which included an amazing blueberry chicken and mouth-watering beef brisket. The grilled veggies were cooked to perfection. And the baby apples were adorable and delicious. I was so impressed with the staff who picked up after my guests so that no dirty plates lingered. Plus, because of the generous amounts, the staff neatly packed all of the leftovers into my storage food containers. The kitchen was cleaned up as well. It was a perfect day! Thank you Eco Caters!

Sent on 04/27/2017
  • Z

Zoe · Married on 10/20/2016

With heaps of experience under his belt, EcoCaters' head chef Nick not only delivers an incredible creative menu that will wow your guests, but his team also makes planning and execution, from glassware to seating and decor, a cinch. They actually make it fun! Who knew? The company's local farm to fork focus was a big tick for us, and we loved the fact that they worked really hard to come up with a package that fit our budget. We were delighted with the EcoCaters team from the start and were confident we'd get a great result, and we did.

Sent on 12/12/2016

James · Married on 05/27/2016

We sampled many caterers but were immediately impressed by the quality of the food at EcoCaters. We sat down at our tasting and found Emily to be delightful, down to earth and helpful. She had many great ideas to help us save on the overall cost of the event and offered ideas about how to best accommodate our request to serve food family style.

At our walk through, Emily offered a number of great ideas and options for the layout. Our friend volunteered to be our wedding planner and she’s mentioned several times how much she appreciated working with Emily on the day-of details. Our friend/wedding planner said that during the ceremony the table containing our cocktail appetizers fell because the ground had been wet and sunk under the weight of the table, causing the dishes and the food to come crashing down. Somehow they managed the whole situation without us knowing and our guests still had wonderful appetizers to enjoy. Emily was graceful and professional when there was a minor snafu with vendor meals (bartender brought several more staff than he said he would). They also handled a delicate situation with one of our guests who needed special arrangements.

The food was delicious, and unique! We added colorful fruit and herb infused water dispensers, which were set up as guests arrived and were then transitioned to the cocktail hour and the reception. The appetizer display was beautifully presented at our rustic outdoor wedding. We absolutely loved the blueberry chipotle chicken and the stuffed peppers for dinner. We had sides of roasted potatoes and vegetables which tasted fresh and flavorful (not rubbery like other caterers we tried). Many of our guests commented about how much they enjoyed the food.

Thank you, EcoCaters, for making our wedding day such a special one! If we ever need a caterer again in the future, EcoCaters will be the first place we’ll call!

Sent on 09/05/2016
  • User5620525 · 2+ years ago

We were thrilled to find EcoCaters for our wedding. After speaking to several caterers who were unable to provide any options for an Asian fusion meal, we were blown away by EcoCaters, who put together a customized menu just for us. At the tasting, Chef Nick asked us many questions and took notes on things we liked and did not like about each dish. He made recommendations based on the serving method we chose (buffet style versus sit-down), and when we didn't love the vegetable options, he came up with five new options that would go well with the other dishes we chose.

We have had a great experience working with Lauren, who helped reserve all of our rentals. She asked for multiple quotes that we could compare and that would fit within our budget.

Sent on 11/16/2015

KIMBERLY · Married on 07/26/2015

My advice if you are looking for a caterer for any event is call Eco Caters!! We used them a little over a year ago for our wedding and could not have been any happier. I had no idea what to expect from a catering company and they blew me out of the water. We had already had one tasting with another company and left feeling uneasy about the food quality and level of service. We lined up a few more tastings and next on the list was Eco. After a few emails to figure out a tasting menu and the tasting itself, we cancelled all the other appointments. Lauren Sullivan is the main contact who helped us through all the months of planning. She is AMAZING! She is so thorough, attentive, and eases any worry or stress an event can so easily bring on. We found that Lauren/Eco go out of their way not only to prepare a farm-to-table delicious experience for you and your guests, but also help you with rentals and overall planning. They make your whole experience so easy I really can't rave about them enough. At our tasting everything was delivered with explanation, down to where they got the ingredients and variations of different options we could chose from. Our guests still talk about our food a year later.

On the other side of things my friend and his now husband called in a panic, overwhelmed with the lack of planning they had achieved a few months before their wedding. In asking for advice the only thing I told him was call Eco and your stress will be almost non existent. He did and raved just as much about his experience with them. Being a guest at his wedding I was down right impressed, once again with how amazing the food was. The food they serve literally feels like you are at a restaurant ordering for two, not a meal prepared for a large quantity of wedding food.

Definitely call Eco Caters, they truly made my wife and I's day beyond anything we could have ever dreamt up by ourselves!!

Sent on 11/22/2016
  • DOMINIQUE

DOMINIQUE · Married on 07/25/2015

Eco Caters was one of my favorite vendors to work with for our 7/25/2015 wedding. We started out working with Lauren as our wedding planner, I believe she was moved to another location, so Jessica stepped in and we thoroughly enjoyed working with Jessica. The day of, Jessica was out there on a hot day sweating her butt off, and very touched by the sun making sure our day went smoothly. And throughout the process, She was extremely responsive, she was quick to answer our questions, and when we found out we were expecting a baby, she was very helpful with helping us find ways where we can reduce the costs in some areas. So, Eco Caters provided catering, and planning for the month of our wedding by the way. They handled the wedding rehearsal, and keeping in contact with our vendors. They helped us with figuring out how much liquor to buy, they managed the bar, they set everything up at our venue, and just made all the separate elements shine through cohesively. We did our tasting with the owners, Emily and her husband, and they were awesome to work with as well. The food was awesome, we got TONS of compliments on the food. I'm personally still craving the beef brisket and the Gouda Mac and cheese we got. Also on our menu was Creole blackened catfish, and green beans with crispy shallots, all of it was delicious. Overall, we would not hesitate to work with Eco Caters again, the team did a fantastic job.

Sent on 08/16/2015

Had our wedding catered in LA by Eco and couldn't be happier with our choice! The food was perfect and the service was excellent. They worked with our food allergies and created a seasonal menu that was executed to perfection! They even made a special plate for the bride and groom with two kinds of fish, as we ordered salmon for the buffet, but also secretly wanted the bass. That's going over and above in my book.

Sent on 11/07/2012

Ashley · Married on 11/03/2012

Words cannot describe how incredible it was working with Eco up to the end. The execution of our menu was impeccable - the service was so buttoned up and perfect - I could not had asked for anything different. I loved every minute of working with Dana and Michelle. They were a true pleasure to deal with and are so detailed in how they go about designing the menu. I had a vision of exactly what I wanted to serve at our wedding and they made it all come to life. It was also so awesome to be able to work so closely with the chef in designing a menu that captures our taste and what we, as a couple like to eat and how cool to think that everything at the wedding has been bought the week of at the local farmers markets?!? I would highly recommend Eco to anyone looking to create a day uniquely their own. I cannot wait to find a reason to work with Eco again!

Sent on 11/16/2012

Julie · Married on 08/27/2011

When planning our wedding I knew that the food had to be special. Not the typical rubbery chicken served at many receptions. I was so happy to find Eco Catering. The taste and quality is equivalent to high end restaurants and feeding 80 out of a residential is no small task I'm sure. The staff is so friendly and accommodating. They even took an old family recipe from Spain to make a special appetizer for us. We still get rave reviews on the food. If you want to serve your guests high quality food, Eco Catering is high recommended.

Sent on 09/19/2011

erin · Married on 07/16/2011

Eco Caters is amazing. We hired them to cater our wedding and rehearsal brunch this past July. The food was incredible, everything was so fresh and full of flavor and was beautifully presented.

Our venue was not easy for the servers and their service was not even remotely compromised. We rented a private Farmhouse in Julian. The kitchen was up at the farmhouse and our entire reception took place down in a big field surrounded by mountains. Although the view was gorgeous for our guests (mountains everywhere) the servers had to hoof it up and down a slight hill with platters of food, equiptment etc. all evening. They stayed in great spirits all night and we did not want for anything. We chose a family style dinner which meant that the food was passed along our tables on big platters and guests could choose from three entrees. It was so cozy and wonderful to dine with our friends and family under the stars and to not have to even get up for seconds. The bartenders were hilarious and were just great at their jobs. We had a great team working our event.

Our wedding coordinator, Michelle Rodriguez was absolutely incredible. She is such a fantastic person. She is warm, funny and so hard working. She went above and beyond throughout the whole process to make sure everything was perfect. She got us the best deals on rentals, she rescued my favors when the vendor messed up and sent them to the wrong address, she kept me calm, made great suggestions and kept any unnecessary issues out of radar so that I could have a peaceful, joyous wedding day. Seriously, it was a perfect day. Eco Caters is so professional and organized and Michelle Rodriguez is a superstar event planner and wedding coordinator. They are very highly recommended for any event that you need to be gorgeous. Your guests will be raving about the food and everything will be seamless.

Sent on 09/16/2011

Sarah · Married on 05/15/2011

I can't say enough good things about EcoCaters. They provided a customized vegan family style meal for our wedding on 5/15. The food was beautiful and delicious, making converts of some of our friends/family. Their staff was friendly and professional - helping with far more than just serving the food. As a group, the folks at EcoCaters -from Chef Nick to wedding coordinator Michelle (who is AMAZING) to the waitstaff - were the best vendors a bride could hope for.

Sent on 06/01/2011

Juliana · Married on 04/17/2010

Eco Caters was the perfect choice for our wedding! The quality of the food was amazing, the service was excellent and we truly enjoyed working with Nick and Adam. They were an absolute pleasure and we really appreciated how helpful they were in working out all the details with our other vendors to make sure everything ran smoothly. We recommend Eco Caters to all of our friends and will certainly use their services in the future.

Sent on 08/04/2010

lindy · Married on 09/27/2008

Eco Caters did an amazing job on our wedding! The food was perfect, we get a complament everyday on how tasty and well presented the food was. The staff is very friendly and professional, they went above and beyond. I wouldn't have changed anything. I highly recomend them!

Sent on 10/13/2008

Melissa · Married on 05/01/2008

Great healthy food and great service.. Can't even explain how great!

Sent on 07/28/2008

Eco Caters catered our wedding at the SmogShoppe two weeks ago, and we absolutely loved everything about our experience. We chose Eco because of the amazing 5 star reviews on Yelp, and we were not disappointed. The contact with the company has always been incredibly easy and smooth. The food was absolutely exquisite; all of our guests keep raving about how much they loved the food. We were actually concerned about the food not tasting as good as it did during the tasting, since we heard that is a common problem with a lot of catering companies. Of course it is quite different to produce 100 plates instead of 2, so quality is often lost. However, the food at the actual wedding exceeded our expectations. It was just as amazing, if not more delicious than what we remembered. The hors d'oeuvres were incredible; the mojo shrimp, scallop, and gougere with bacon, arugula, and pickled onion were to die for. They disappeared within seconds. Even the cheese plates were subliminal. The plated food was also quite memorable. The whole experience was more than what we hoped for, and we are forever grateful.
    The Eco Caters team was always courteous, professional, accommodating, and amazing since the very beginning. We even hired their day-of-coordination service, which also exceeded our expectations. Lauren was just truly amazing. She went above and beyond at all times and did so much work (not just the day of); we couldn't believe it. Our family members kept commenting how much this woman was working nonstop! Lauren was absolutely fabulous, and we can't thank her enough for everything she did to make sure everything went smoothly. Definitely worth every penny!
    To sum it up, we are so incredibly glad we chose Eco Caters for our wedding, and we would do it all over again. We can't recommend this company enough! Thank you Eco!!

Sent on 03/01/2015
  • natalia

Natalia · Married on 07/10/2010

I highly recommend Eco-Caters for their meals and service. From the moment we sat down for the tasting, they were truly friendly, flexible and passionate about their green business. They even donate their used oil for use as a bio-fuel. Not only were their dishes delicious (we had the Mango Chicken and the Beef as our 2 main entrees) but they looked beautiful and smelled great. Many of our guests complemented us for the food and went back for more.

In addition, the Eco-Cater staff is professional, upbeat and pleasant to work with. All of my questions were answered right away (and I had a lot of questions) and they often offered suggestions to help me navigate the planning of my own wedding. We used their bamboo Verterra plates, which are a biodegradable option to disposable plates, and they were a big hit, as well as affordable. We had a small budget and they were always understanding. They never said "no" and always offered contacts to other vendors or professionals that could help. Eco-Caters were an important part of making our Green Wedding a success. Thanks guys!

Sent on 08/09/2010
  • O

Kristen · Married on 06/20/2010

Eco Caters provided amazing food and service for our wedding. Emily was so warm and very easy to work with, and flexible on our menus and tasting. The value was spectacular for the quality, and our guests raved about the food, especially the macaroni and cheese (to die for!). We were also able to provide our own alcohol and cake with no fees. The servers they brought in were very friendly and unobtrusive. Overall, it was a great experience working with them, and I would not hesitate to recommend them to any of our friends.

Sent on 10/07/2010

Debra · Married on 07/30/2016

1.6
      3.0
      0.5

I would strongly recommend that you do not use eco caterers for your wedding or other large event because even though their food was DELICIOUS, their service was terrible. Specific examples:
    -A ton of time passed after guests were seated before any food was served. After several minutes, my wedding planner went to check on the status of salad and they hadnt even started making it. -waiters didnt know what they were doing, and they had attitude E.g., waiter didnt know to serve one table at a time, captain was aggressively glaring at and signaling to him (Such terrible atmosphere!), he started talking back to her across tables at a distance of 15 feet. seriously.
    -bartenders more interested in chatting with each other and were totally rude (telling guests to serve their own water when they asked for it)-i had to flag down staff to clear my plate for the toast so it wasnt in the pictures -waitress didnt appear to have any service experience- telling people to pass their glasses and plopped extra bottles on table while she poured

Also, it is a waste of time & money (they charge a walk through fee) to discuss details with them prior to your event. At least the following details did not occur that had been discussed at length:
    -guests were not greeted upon arrival with drinks.
    -appetizers and drinks were not provided for the bride and groom right after ceremony
    - post-ceremony they did not tray pass wine during the beginning of cocktail hour to cut down on line
    -garnishes that were provided for the cocktails (e.g., candied ginger for moscow mules) were not used for cocktails. what a waste
    I'd like to think that this was an off day for them, given how good their food and pre-wedding day service was and how good their other reviews are-- but in the words of my wedding planner whose done 100+ weddings "Ive never had to have a conversation like that with a caterer before"

Sent on 09/25/2016