PO Box 984, Bath, ME 04530 Map · Phone number
  • Photos & Videos 17
  • Real Weddings 1

About A Sweet Start

Visit my website www.asweetstart.com to see my prices and to check my availability!

A Sweet Start is for couples who want something new! You know you want a creative and meaningful wedding ceremony but don't know where to start. With me as your Maine wedding officiant, you will get a well-crafted and loving wedding ceremony with my personalized attention and professional expertise to ensure you have a joy-filled and effortless ceremony!

Your ceremony will be fun without being jokey, it'll be serious without being solemn, it will be meaningful without being overly sentimental, it'll be sweet without being sappy. I balance the gravity of this significant moment with enough levity to make it a joyful occasion.

Your wedding ceremony experience will be organized, smooth, happy, and calm. You will feel supported by me through the entire process of crafting your ceremony, to helping you envision how it will unfold, to guiding you and your wedding party through the rehearsal, and finally to bringing your ceremony to life on wedding day.

You will love working with me because I'm down-to-earth; I have a positive, cheery attitude; I'm wicked organized; I'm LGBTQ friendly; I'm passionate about my work; and I care about your ceremony as much as you do! I can't wait to hear from you!

Follow A Sweet Start on

A Sweet Start 7
  • Michael

Michael Hoffer · Married on 08/03/2019

Maria was fabulous

I can't rave enough about how Maria walked us through the process, incorporated our story into the ceremony and impressed everyone with her skills as our officiant. Her enthusiasm is genuine, she loves what she does and she makes the wedding couple feel at ease, while also making them excited for what's to come. I recommend her highly!

Sent on 08/07/2019
    A Sweet Start 8

A Sweet Start's reply:

Michael, working with you and Angi was a joy! Thank you for participating in writing your ceremony in such an engaged way. I'm so glad to hear you felt at ease on wedding day, that's a win in my books! Big hugs to Angi! xoxo Maria
  • Sophie

Sophie Booth · Married on 07/20/2019

Just the BEST.

Where to start with our dear, dear Maria?! Let me just say - choosing to work with Maria was by far one of the best decisions my (now!) husband and I made as we planned our wedding. We had a complicated situation - I'm American, my husband is Belgian, and we live in Belgium but got married in Maine. Maria Skyped us whenever we had questions, kept us on track with her incredible organization and deadlines for things like vows and ceremony readings, helped us detangle the international aspect of our marriage paperwork and license, and connected us with a network of professionals who, just like her, are authentic and fantastic people who I'm now thrilled to consider friends. Maria led our rehearsal dinner and made sure everyone involved knew their role. And our ceremony...it was truly the highlight of our wedding. Heart centered, personalized, grounded, sweet, and such a genuine reflection of me and my husband's love...at the end of the day, that's what all of this is about, isn't it? And I couldn't have asked for a better officiant-turned-friend to hold our hands every step of the way. Maria exceeded every single one of our expectations and was a true joy to spend time with. I already miss her!

Sent on 07/30/2019

A Sweet Start's reply:

My dearest Sophie, thank you so much for expressing your feelings about working with me. I want to thank you and Simon for taking the time to meet with me and making the effort to see me when you were in Maine. Getting to know you two was such a pleasure! I look forward to visiting you when we come to Bruges! Cheers to your marriage and our friendship! xoxo Maria
  • Amanda

Amanda Fogarty · Married on 06/22/2019

Heartfelt & Custom Ceremony that we will cherish forever.

Oh Maria, where do I begin!? We knew we wanted to book you long before we ever got engaged! Knowing that we didn’t want a super religious ceremony but also wanting our ceremony to be thoughtful and meaningful we knew you would help us create just that.

Creating a custom ceremony with you is one of our favorite parts of the entire planning process. You helped ground and reconnect us in a way that we so desperately needed amongst the chaos of planning.

The months and days leading up to the wedding (and after!) you were an incredible resource for all things wedding. From writing our own vows to how to change my last name after the wedding - you already had all the tools in place to make the process as smooth as possible.

One of the moments that sticks out to me the most is the moment during our rehearsal when you announced to our closest family and friends that our planning responsibilities were officially over and to keep us in a “wedding bubble of bliss”. From that moment on, our family and friends point of contact was our planner and our vendors. No more decisions to be made or worries to tackle - by stating this openly to all of our wedding party and parents you gave us the ability to relax and be stress free which is the greatest gift of all. Everyone listened and respected you, and from that moment on our entire weekend was more relaxed.

We know that we will cherish this ceremony for the rest of our lives and we are so grateful for your presence during our wedding weekend and your ability to share our love story with our family & friends as we begin our forever. Thank you from the bottom of our hearts.

Sent on 07/01/2019

A Sweet Start's reply:

Oh, Amanda, where do *I* begin? Working with you and Cole was such a pleasure. You were both so responsive and engaged. I'm delighted to hear how much you enjoyed the process. I'm also so glad you were able to stay in the "wedding bubble of bliss" all weekend, you deserved it! Congratulations on your beautiful marriage. I'll never forget your wedding! xoxo Maria

A Sweet Start FAQ

• What is the typical price for your wedding services? $ 1,200.00
  • Which of the following are included in the price? Ceremony Rehearsal
  • What is the starting price for your wedding services? $ 500.00
  • Does starting price include the ceremony rehearsal? No
  • What services do you provide? Allow Couples' Own Vows
  • On average, how long are wedding ceremonies you officiate? Less than 30 mins.
  • In which states are you licensed? ME
  • What languages do you speak? English

Real Weddings

• Dionne Entertainment
    Dionne Entertainment Wedding DJs

Maria is a super-pro, she's a fantastic officiant. I highly recommend her!!!

• Sarah Jane Photography
    Sarah Jane Photography Wedding Photographers

Maria is an amazing officiant with a knack for creating a personalized ceremony that shares all the things that make each couple special and unique. Her enthusiasm and excitement is contagious and her professionalism is top-notch.

• Flora Fauna
    Flora Fauna Wedding Florists

Maria is a pleasure to work with. So happy and upbeat she makes all her ceremonies thoughtful and fun! I love working with her.

• PO Box 984 Bath, 04530 See on map