PO Box 984, Bath, ME 04530 Map · Phone number
  • Photos & Videos 18
  • Real Weddings 1
  • Meet the Team

About A Sweet Start

Visit my website www.asweetstart.com to see my prices and to check my availability!

SAVOR THE MOMENT, SAVE THE MEMORY

IMAGINE HAVING THE TIME AND SPACE TO EXPERIENCE EVERY DETAIL OF YOUR CEREMONY AS IT'S HAPPENING.

Imagine time has slowed down. You take a deep breath and exhale slowly. You look over at your beloved and realize this is the moment. After all these years, you’re getting married! You feel calm, at ease, completely present, and bursting with joy.

As a professional Maine wedding officiant, I know that when couples feel grounded and relaxed during their wedding ceremony, time seems to slow down. This allows you and your guests to give the moment the significance it deserves and ultimately create richer memories of the ceremony. If you’re provided the space to just “be,” you’ll be able to savor the moment and store the memories!

Your ceremony will be fun without being jokey, it’ll be serious without being solemn, it will be meaningful without being overly sentimental, it’ll be sweet without being sappy. I balance the gravity of this significant moment with enough levity to make it a joyful occasion. Your wedding ceremony experience will be a fabulous celebration for you and your guests!

You will love working with me because I'm down-to-earth; I have a positive, cheery attitude; I'm wicked organized; I'm LGBTQ+ friendly; I'm passionate about my work; and I care about your ceremony as much as you do! I can't wait to hear from you!

• Woman-owned

105 Reviews for A Sweet Start

• Sheila

Sheila P. · Getting married on 01/01/2023

A Sweet Start

Maria accommodated us with everything we asked for, and on very short notice!

Sent on 01/28/2021

A Sweet Start's reply:

Sheila, you and Greg will always hold a special place in my heart since you got married on a Monday in January, just like my husband and me! xoxo Maria
  • Heather

Heather G. · Getting married on 06/07/2021

Maria truly made our wedding memorable!!

Maria was fantastic!! She worked with us personally every step of the way. She wrote a special customized and personal ceremony for me and my (now) husband. She was there to answer any questions we had and guide us through the whole wedding process. Her energizing and bubbly personality fit great with mine and many guests raved about how great Maria was during the ceremony. Maria was so supportive and we really appreciated everything she did for us from the planning process, to the edits, to the rehearsal, to the wedding, and even afterwards. We would 100% recommend her services to anyone we meet! She made our wedding truly special and memorable.

Sent on 07/29/2020

A Sweet Start's reply:

Sweet Heather, thank you so much for this awesome review and for trusting me to be your guide through the wedding process! I thoroughly enjoyed working with you and Brett, and it was fun to see how much you and I had in common - definitely the same energy and bubbly personality, like you said! All my love xoxo Maria

Janelle N. · Getting married on 06/06/2021

Review for Maria

My husband and I were just married by Maria on June 18th, 2020. It was such an amazing experience! We had originally planned to marry in Italy this June and had to cancel due to the pandemic. When we found this elopement package in our home state of Maine we were elated. We didn't want to wait to marry and the package provided everything and more for us to recreate our perfect wedding day. We met Maria on the day of our ceremony and immediately felt comfortable in her presence. She printed out our vows and pasted them on cards so that we could easily read them to each other. She was so flexible with all of the technology we used to Zoom in our families to "give us away" and even offered an additional suggestion for our ceremony called "Handfasting" which we thought was such a sweet touch. She provided us with a copy of our entire ceremony including our personal vows just days later which we'll be able to look back on and re-read for years to come. Her upbeat and comforting attitude really made all the difference for us. We would recommend her services to anyone. Thank you Maria!

Sent on 06/22/2020

A Sweet Start's reply:

Dear Mrs. Nichols! It's funny you mention how immediately comfortable you felt with me, I had the exact same feeling with you and Jon! I'm delighted that you liked the Handfasting ceremony, I hope that moment helped you both feel connected and experience the strength of the commitment you had just made. It gives me shivers to think about it! xoxo Maria

WeddingWire Couples' Choice Awards 2021 Winner
WeddingWire Couples' Choice Awards 2020 Winner

A Sweet Start FAQ

• What is the typical price for your wedding services?
    $ 1400
  • Which of the following are included in the price?
    Ceremony Rehearsal
  • What is the starting price for your wedding services?
    $ 1000
  • Does starting price include the ceremony rehearsal?
  • What types of weddings and events do you provide services for?
    Non-religious
    Interfaith
    Ceremony Rehearsal
    Vow Renewal
    Civil Union
    Single Religion
  • What services do you provide?
    Allow Couples' Own Vows
    Licensed
  • What religious affiliations do you serve?
    No Denomination
  • On average, how long are wedding ceremonies you officiate?
    Less than 30 mins.
  • In which states are you licensed?
    ME
    NH
  • What languages do you speak?
    English

1 Real Wedding

Team of A Sweet Start

Maria Northcott

Maria Northcott

Owner

Native New Englander. Former schoolteacher. Sought-after wedding officiant. Of all the labels that describe Maria Northcott, however, the one you’ll hear most often is “creator of community.” It’s not just weddings that are Maria’s passion — it’s the people at the heart of those weddings. Whether it’s couples planning their wedding or the professionals who serve them, Maria thrives on building relationships and making connections. In 2015, she quit her full-time job to free her heart and soul to do exactly that. Not only is Maria in demand as an officiant by couples across the country, but she’s also the founder of the Maine Wedding Network, fostering a sense of collaboration and support among professional wedding vendors throughout Maine. Whether it’s by the wood stove in her midcoast cottage or at one of the many weddings she officiates each year, Maria exudes a warmth that draws people in, makes them feel comfortable, and sends them back into the world with a brighter spark in their eye.

+ More Details
- Less Details

• Dionne Entertainment Wedding DJs

Maria is a super-pro, she's a fantastic officiant. I highly recommend her!!!

• Sarah Jane Photography Wedding Photographers

Maria is an amazing officiant with a knack for creating a personalized ceremony that shares all the things that make each couple special and unique. Her enthusiasm and excitement is contagious and her professionalism is top-notch.

• Flora Fauna Wedding Florists

Maria is a pleasure to work with. So happy and upbeat she makes all her ceremonies thoughtful and fun! I love working with her.

• PO Box 984 Bath, ME, 04530 See on map
    2073802444 (Phone number)
    Location of (A Sweet Start)