PO Box 984, Bath, ME 04530 Map · Phone number
  • Photos & Videos 18
  • Real Weddings 1

About A Sweet Start

Visit my website www.asweetstart.com to see my prices and to check my availability!

A Sweet Start is for couples who want something new! You know you want a creative and meaningful wedding ceremony but don't know where to start. With me as your Maine wedding officiant, you will get a well-crafted and loving wedding ceremony with my personalized attention and professional expertise to ensure you have a joy-filled and effortless ceremony!

Your ceremony will be fun without being jokey, it'll be serious without being solemn, it will be meaningful without being overly sentimental, it'll be sweet without being sappy. I balance the gravity of this significant moment with enough levity to make it a joyful occasion.

Your wedding ceremony experience will be organized, smooth, happy, and calm. You will feel supported by me through the entire process of crafting your ceremony, to helping you envision how it will unfold, to guiding you and your wedding party through the rehearsal, and finally to bringing your ceremony to life on wedding day.

You will love working with me because I'm down-to-earth; I have a positive, cheery attitude; I'm wicked organized; I'm LGBTQ+ friendly; I'm passionate about my work; and I care about your ceremony as much as you do! I can't wait to hear from you!

Follow A Sweet Start on

Videos 2 Videos

96 Reviews for A Sweet Start

• Heather

Heather Gray · Getting married on 06/07/2021

Maria truly made our wedding memorable!!

Maria was fantastic!! She worked with us personally every step of the way. She wrote a special customized and personal ceremony for me and my (now) husband. She was there to answer any questions we had and guide us through the whole wedding process. Her energizing and bubbly personality fit great with mine and many guests raved about how great Maria was during the ceremony. Maria was so supportive and we really appreciated everything she did for us from the planning process, to the edits, to the rehearsal, to the wedding, and even afterwards. We would 100% recommend her services to anyone we meet! She made our wedding truly special and memorable.

Sent on 07/29/2020

A Sweet Start's reply:

Sweet Heather, thank you so much for this awesome review and for trusting me to be your guide through the wedding process! I thoroughly enjoyed working with you and Brett, and it was fun to see how much you and I had in common - definitely the same energy and bubbly personality, like you said! All my love xoxo Maria

Janelle Nichols · Getting married on 06/06/2021

Review for Maria

My husband and I were just married by Maria on June 18th, 2020. It was such an amazing experience! We had originally planned to marry in Italy this June and had to cancel due to the pandemic. When we found this elopement package in our home state of Maine we were elated. We didn't want to wait to marry and the package provided everything and more for us to recreate our perfect wedding day. We met Maria on the day of our ceremony and immediately felt comfortable in her presence. She printed out our vows and pasted them on cards so that we could easily read them to each other. She was so flexible with all of the technology we used to Zoom in our families to "give us away" and even offered an additional suggestion for our ceremony called "Handfasting" which we thought was such a sweet touch. She provided us with a copy of our entire ceremony including our personal vows just days later which we'll be able to look back on and re-read for years to come. Her upbeat and comforting attitude really made all the difference for us. We would recommend her services to anyone. Thank you Maria!

Sent on 06/22/2020

A Sweet Start's reply:

Dear Mrs. Nichols! It's funny you mention how immediately comfortable you felt with me, I had the exact same feeling with you and Jon! I'm delighted that you liked the Handfasting ceremony, I hope that moment helped you both feel connected and experience the strength of the commitment you had just made. It gives me shivers to think about it! xoxo Maria

Erin Tomczak · Getting married on 12/08/2020

Best Wedding Decision we made!

Hiring Maria to be our officiant was hands down the best decision we made, in regards to vendors for our wedding. After skyping with Maria, we knew instantly that she was the perfect fit. It was like we knew her for years, yet we just met. Her energy radiates to everyone around her, oh and she's really funny! We chose the personalized package and looking back I would make this decision over and over again. It was worth every penny. All of our guests raved about how heartfelt, personal, and emotional our ceremony was. You can really tell that she practices each ceremony too because her pronunciation, tone, pauses, etc. were all spot on. Additionally, the expertise that Maria brings is like no other. She gave us suggestions for where to stop to get "the perfect picture," how to organize our wedding party, how to stand, what to be conscious of, etc.

I cannot say enough great things about our experience with Maria and would highly recommend her to anyone I know that's getting married and needs an officiant. The ceremony was the most important part of the wedding for us and Maria made it absolutely incredible!

Sent on 12/16/2019

A Sweet Start's reply:

My dear Erin, thank you so much for sharing your experience working with me! I'm especially touched by the comment about me practicing the ceremony and how "spot on" you felt my pronunciation, tone and pauses were. I work so hard on this, so to know you recognize it and value it makes me so happy. All my love to you and Trevor! xoxo Maria

WeddingWire Couples' Choice Awards 2020 Winner

A Sweet Start FAQ

• What is the typical price for your wedding services?
    $ 1400
  • Which of the following are included in the price?
    Ceremony Rehearsal
  • What is the starting price for your wedding services?
    $ 1000
  • Does starting price include the ceremony rehearsal?
  • What types of weddings and events do you provide services for?
    Non-religious
    Interfaith
    Ceremony Rehearsal
    Vow Renewal
    Civil Union
    Single Religion
  • What services do you provide?
    Allow Couples' Own Vows
    Licensed
  • On average, how long are wedding ceremonies you officiate?
    Less than 30 mins.
  • In which states are you licensed?
    ME
    NH
  • What languages do you speak?
    English

Real Weddings

• Dionne Entertainment Wedding DJs

Maria is a super-pro, she's a fantastic officiant. I highly recommend her!!!

• Sarah Jane Photography Wedding Photographers

Maria is an amazing officiant with a knack for creating a personalized ceremony that shares all the things that make each couple special and unique. Her enthusiasm and excitement is contagious and her professionalism is top-notch.

• Flora Fauna Wedding Florists

Maria is a pleasure to work with. So happy and upbeat she makes all her ceremonies thoughtful and fun! I love working with her.

• PO Box 984 Bath, 04530 See on map
    2073802444 (Phone number)
    Location of (A Sweet Start)