A Sweet Start Reviews

A Sweet Start 6
A Sweet Start 7
  • Amanda

Amanda Fogarty · Married on 06/22/2019

Heartfelt & Custom Ceremony that we will cherish forever.

Oh Maria, where do I begin!? We knew we wanted to book you long before we ever got engaged! Knowing that we didn’t want a super religious ceremony but also wanting our ceremony to be thoughtful and meaningful we knew you would help us create just that.

Creating a custom ceremony with you is one of our favorite parts of the entire planning process. You helped ground and reconnect us in a way that we so desperately needed amongst the chaos of planning.

The months and days leading up to the wedding (and after!) you were an incredible resource for all things wedding. From writing our own vows to how to change my last name after the wedding - you already had all the tools in place to make the process as smooth as possible.

One of the moments that sticks out to me the most is the moment during our rehearsal when you announced to our closest family and friends that our planning responsibilities were officially over and to keep us in a “wedding bubble of bliss”. From that moment on, our family and friends point of contact was our planner and our vendors. No more decisions to be made or worries to tackle - by stating this openly to all of our wedding party and parents you gave us the ability to relax and be stress free which is the greatest gift of all. Everyone listened and respected you, and from that moment on our entire weekend was more relaxed.

We know that we will cherish this ceremony for the rest of our lives and we are so grateful for your presence during our wedding weekend and your ability to share our love story with our family & friends as we begin our forever. Thank you from the bottom of our hearts.

Sent on 07/01/2019

A Sweet Start's reply:

Oh, Amanda, where do *I* begin? Working with you and Cole was such a pleasure. You were both so responsive and engaged. I'm delighted to hear how much you enjoyed the process. I'm also so glad you were able to stay in the "wedding bubble of bliss" all weekend, you deserved it! Congratulations on your beautiful marriage. I'll never forget your wedding! xoxo Maria

Brianna · Married on 06/15/2019

The sweetest person ever!!

Maria made our ceremony one of a kind! She was able to take aspects of our lives and relationship and create the most beautiful ceremony! She is also the sweetest person we have ever met! She took the time to get to know us to make sure the ceremony was exactly what we wanted! She made everything so easy for us, and was super patient and flexible! Everyone at the wedding raved about the ceremony!!!

Sent on 06/18/2019

A Sweet Start's reply:

My dear Brianna, Thank you for taking the time to share your experience working with me. I love that your ceremony was exactly what you wanted. Yay! Big hugs to you and Seth! xo Maria
  • Caroline

Caroline · Married on 05/10/2019

Phenomenal! Will Not Disappoint!

My husband and I got married in May and we could not be more grateful to Maria for her thoughtful planning and attention while crafting our ceremony. While wedding planning, my husband and I expected that dinner and dancing would be our favorite part of the evening. However, we both agree that ultimately it was the ceremony that made the strongest impact, which we completely credit Maria. While living in Boston and planning for a wedding in Maine, Maria accommodated us by making herself available for video chats. She even took time out of her weekend to meet us for lunch in Portland to get to know us better. Not only did she have wonderful ideas for personalizing our ceremony, she was also a wealth of knowledge about wedding planning in general, and I often referred myself to her blog when I felt stuck. She lead the ceremony rehearsal with professionalism and humor so everyone felt comfortable going into the main event the following day. While my husband and I were concerned about how some of our more religious family members would react to our secular ceremony, countless friends and family raved about our vows and complimented what a great job Maria did officiating. Not only was Maria invaluable in planning and performing our ceremony, she is also a warm, lovely human and I would get fish and chips with her anytime.

Sent on 06/24/2019

A Sweet Start's reply:

Wow, Caroline, you're the best! Thank you for this glowing review and especially for mentioning that your religious family members raved about your secular wedding ceremony. I'll have fish and chips with you and Brendan any time - let's make a date! xoxo Maria

Stephanie · Married on 05/04/2019

I could not be more happy with our choice to hire Maria! She has been extremely helpful every step of the way and we are so excited to have be be a part of our wedding day.

Sent on 05/08/2018

A Sweet Start's reply:

My dear Stephanie, it is my great honor to be working with you and Chris! I can't wait for May 2019! :) xo Maria

Salvador Perez · Married on 01/12/2019

A dream come true

Early in our hunt for someone to marry my now wife and I, we found Maria and instantly knew she was the right choice. Maria is amazing she is so cooperative she works really hard to make sure everything flows well and here aura is so enjoyable. Even in our most stressed moments her joy helped set us straight again. She comes highly recommended for all your wedding needs.

Sent on 01/15/2019
    A Sweet Start 8

A Sweet Start's reply:

Oh, Sal! I'm still glowing from your wedding. You and Tami are two of the most beautiful souls I've ever met. Your personal vows touched my heart. I was so impressed by your love for each other. I know you're going to have a long and happy marriage. All my love, Maria xoxo
  • Seana

Seana B Cullinan · Married on 10/27/2018

Working with Maria was the Best!

Working with Maria was like working with a guardian angel, a cheerleader, and a therapist all at once. The process of getting married can be overwhelming and stressful, and Maria consistently helped us to stay calm, focused, and excited. She gave us so much guidance, and enthusiastic support. She is a wealth of information and her love for her work shines through the entire process! From the very beginning, her passion and her enthusiasm were infectious. We had a magical wedding and we are so thrilled that we chose Maria as our officiant. We are going to miss having an excuse to see her and talk with her on a regular basis! We recommend her highly and whole-heartedly.

Sent on 12/03/2018

A Sweet Start's reply:

I'm humbled by your kind words, Seana. Thank you so much for sharing your experience. It warms my heart that you felt that level of support from me during your wedding planning process. Thank you for honoring me by choosing me to be your officiant. I love you and Dave so much and will always cherish the memories of your wedding! All my love, Maria xoxo
  • Alison

Alison · Married on 09/29/2018

We couldn't imagine our wedding without Maria!

We can’t say enough good things about Maria. We took choosing an officiant very seriously, we wanted to find someone who was experienced in the role and could also seem like they knew us. By the time the wedding day came Maria didn’t seem like she knew us, she DID know us. She prepared with us so thoroughly and thoughtfully, she couldn’t have been any better. I think no compliment can go any further than the fact we had guests all night telling us how beautiful they thought the ceremony was, and that was because of Maria. We’d recommend her to anyone.

Sent on 11/19/2018

A Sweet Start's reply:

Oh, Ali and John, thank you so much! I'm very touched by your kind words. Getting to know you two was so much fun, as was your wedding! Let's do it again when you're celebrating your anniversary! xoxo Maria

John Brogger · Married on 09/22/2018

Maria is the best!

Maria was absolutely incredible, I can't imagine anyone else as our officiant, nor would I want to. She listened to all of our hopes and dreams and made them all come true. She truly made our wedding day all about my wife & I. At the rehearsal she even kindly told our friends, bridesmaids, groomsmen, parents, etc. to direct their questions/concerns away from us so we could enjoy our day and live in the moment. I could go on forever, but all you need to know is that Maria will go well out of her way to make you happy and to give you the exact ceremony you're hoping for. Can't thank her enough!

Sent on 10/23/2018

A Sweet Start's reply:

Wow, John, this is awesome! I love that felt I went above and beyond for you and Ali, it was my absolute pleasure to do it. I love you both so much and it makes me so happy you felt you had the ceremony of your dreams! Give your wife a big hug! xoxo Maria

Amy · Married on 09/01/2018

Maria made our wedding exactly what we wanted...

This review has been a long time coming, but I truly needed to be able to put into the right words what Maria's services meant to us.

Our wedding was 6 months ago today, and while all of the details were important, we knew that the ceremony was the thing that we really wanted to get right. We were looking for meaningful, honest, romantic, and with the right combination of sentiment to combine our lives together, with both our families and my 3 children. After explaining all of this to Maria via Skype and in person meetings, we knew that we had the right professional in our corner. It was SO important that we created a basis for our marriage and not just for the wedding day. And we did. During the ceremony there were tears, there was laughter, and most importantly we didn't have to stress about anything. Maria was able to consult through the whole process (even proof reading our vows to ensure we were both on the same page with length and tone) and bring my three kids into the fold in a way that felt natural and appropriate.

As someone who works in the wedding industry, I see a lot of wedding officiants (and ordained family members, friends, etc) at work. Some wonderful, and some not. The most important thing I can say about Maria is that she is not just performing the ceremony. She is crafting these moments WITH you in a way that doesn't feel contrived or rehearsed. We had to change a part of our ceremony last minute because of pregnancy (whiskey and babies don't mix) and she offered an immediate solution and revised script that took any stress away before it even started. Our rehearsal was efficient and fun, and everyone knew what was happening at all times.

If you are looking for a professional that becomes a friend, and who will do the best job possible, we highly recommend Maria. We feel very lucky that we found her.

Sent on 03/01/2019
    A Sweet Start 9

Lyndsey · Married on 08/25/2018

Maria was the best investment we made towards our big day! At the beginning we were slightly skeptical because some other officiants price points were much lower and it seemed like an area we could maybe cut costs. However, Maria played an integral role throughout the entire process and it would not have been the beautiful and fun ceremony it was without her. She guided us through everything, making the process easy and fun. Her positive energy radiated through email, phone calls and certainly through the wedding ceremony. I would not hesitate to recommend Maria to anyone.

Sent on 09/25/2018
    A Sweet Start 10

A Sweet Start's reply:

Thank you, Lyndsey for your honest review! I appreciate you sharing your skepticism about the cost of my service in the beginning and how you felt it was totally worth it in the end. That's such a great perspective and I hope it helps other couples wondering about working with me. You're the best! Big hugs to Jai! xoxo Maria

Caroline Spillane · Married on 08/11/2018

Best and easiest decision we made!

Where do I even begin! My husband and I got married this past August in Maine, and Maria went absolutely above and beyond to help make our entire wedding experience perfect. From the moment we first skyped with Maria back in January, we knew she was exactly who we were looking for to perform our wedding ceremony. Maria is thoughtful and kind and helped us tremendously throughout our wedding planning process all the way through the end and for weeks beyond. She was, and is, so much more than a wedding officiant. She is a source of guidance and support, she is understanding, and you can see that, to her core, she is passionate about the work she does and the mark she leaves. I can’t think back to our wedding weekend without feeling so much love for Maria! She conducted the rehearsal walkthrough on Friday seamlessly and made it fun and special. On our wedding day, it started pouring rain 30 minutes before our ceremony start time, and she was there with grace to help talk us through a plan B or a plan C. Thankfully, the rain eventually and suddenly stopped. We didn’t know how long to rain would hold off, but Maria didn’t skip a beat. She had our 23 bridesmaids/groomsmen, 4 ushers, a ring bearer and a flower girl, 4 parents, 2 grandparents, and 250 guests organized and ready to go within minutes - and she didn’t even seem phased. Maria seemed to be the anchor of our wedding and I can’t thank her enough for all that she has done for us and with us over the past 10 months. We are so grateful and feel lucky to have had her by our side. I realize I haven’t even mentioned the written ceremony itself - as you probably already guessed if you’ve read through this in it’s entirety, it was perfect and exactly what we hoped for and more. Maria - we love you! Thank you for everything!

Sent on 10/22/2018
    A Sweet Start 11
    A Sweet Start 12

A Sweet Start's reply:

My sweet Caroline, where do *I* begin?! This is the most amazing review, thank you, thank you, thank you! I know your experience will help other couples understand my value, and for that I'm so grateful. It was my great honor to be the anchor of your wedding! You're SO welcome, I love YOU! All my love to you and Maxx! xoxo

Kristina · Married on 07/28/2018

Maria was an absolute dream to work with. From the second that we met her we knew we had to have her officiate our wedding, and it was one of the best decisions we made! I cannot give Maria enough praise! So many of our guests could not stop complimenting her and her beautiful words. She truly took the time to get to know us as a couple and that reflected in our ceremony. I would absolutely recommend Maria to anyone getting married in the Maine area, you won’t be disappointed! THANK YOU!

Sent on 08/23/2018

A Sweet Start's reply:

Thank YOU, Kristina, for this wonderful review! I loved getting to know you and Alex. I'll never forget your wedding and how everything worked out just perfectly. I'm so grateful you took the time to share your experience working with me and your heartfelt recommendation! xoxo Maria

Alicia · Married on 07/21/2018

Maria is AMAZING!!!! My husband is French so we wanted to make sure that we had a ceremony that included both cultures as much as possible. Maria was open minded and was able to turn our ideas into reality. It turned out to be our dream ceremony. Everyone was so impressed with the ease of the ceremony and the way she spoke. Even the French people were able to understand her because she spoke slow and clear! I would recommend her to anyone getting married. It will be one of the best decisions you make. She makes it so easy and fun!

WE LOVE YOU MARIA
    -Alicia & Johan

Sent on 07/09/2018

A Sweet Start's reply:

Bonjour! Thank you SO much for this wonderful review! Wow! I’m totally blown away and very touched. I loved reading that your French family members could understand me during the ceremony, that so awesome! It was such a special day. Thank you, again, for trusting me to be your officiant. So much love to you both! Merci! xoxo Maria

Mike · Married on 07/21/2018

Maria was the icing on the cake for our wedding. From the very start of the process, Maria was professional, helpful, and completely organized. She was able to guide us through every aspect of our wedding ceremony, and we were able to fine tune it our way so that it was very personal. Our wedding would not have been the same without Maria. Alaina and I are forever grateful for “A Sweet Start”.

Sent on 07/25/2018
    A Sweet Start 13

A Sweet Start's reply:

Hi Mike! Thank you SO much for this wonderful 5-star review! :) It means so much to me that you took the time to share your experience working with me. I love the icing on the cake metaphor! It was a pleasure and an honor giving you and Alaina a sweet start to your marriage. xoxo Maria

Julia · Married on 07/14/2018

Our wedding ceremony was incredible which was a direct result of Maria’s warmth, insight, professionalism and organization! Our guests raved about her composure, enthusiasm and delivery. It felt like she was a part of our family and she is now a friend for life!
    Julia & Chris McKenzie

Sent on 07/16/2018

A Sweet Start's reply:

Oh, Julia, thank you so much for this incredible feedback! I so touched by the comment about my "composure, enthusiasm and delivery." Wow! I can't wait to come visit you and Chris in New Jersey! xoxo Maria

Kaitlyn · Married on 06/23/2018

Maria took any and all stress out of our ceremony by handling the logistics and working with us to make sure it was EXACTLY what we wanted. She is so solid, kind, and beyond capable and saved the day several times with her emergency wedding kit in her car (fish line for the flower swag, she had it!). She was kind, communicative, and connected with our family and wedding party. Everyone felt comfortable asking her any questions they had, and she ensured our ceremony was perfect without any stress for anyone. Her voice and presence in front of guests is beyond amazing, and our guests commented ALL NIGHT about how incredible of a ceremony it was. She was recommended to us by two separate individuals and we are so glad we found her!! One phone call with a Maria and you’ll be psyched about your ceremony. -Kaitlyn & Ben

Sent on 06/27/2018

A Sweet Start's reply:

My dear Kaitlyn and Ben, from the bottom of my heart, thank you for this review! It means so much to me that you had the exact ceremony you wanted! I loved meeting your family and getting to know you two; it felt like we were long-lost friend, didn't it!? All my love to you both for a marriage of bliss! xoxo Maria

Aaron · Married on 06/16/2018

My wife and I could not have been happier with Maria as our officiant for our special day. She was honestly incredible and pulled the entire ceremony together. We could not have had such a special ceremony without her input and expertise. Her energy and positive disposition really made the event what it was. We could not recommend her more.

Sent on 07/16/2018

A Sweet Start's reply:

Dear Aaron, thank you so much for taking the time to leave your thoughts about working with me. I loved working with you two! I'll never forget the circling of the couple, what a special moment. It was my honor to be part of your day. Thank you for putting your trust and faith in me as your officiant! xoxo Maria

Meghan · Married on 06/09/2018

Maria delivers such an amazing and unique experience as an officiant. We knew we had made the right decision in hiring Maria immediately after our first skype conversation, and you know its a good sign when every other vendor you have booked exclaims "Oh, you booked Maria! She is the absolute best! I love her!". Her connection with the Maine wedding community made her a wealth of knowledge of vendors and logistics, but what makes Maria truly unique and the best officiant we could have ever imagined is the detail and effort she puts into creating a truly one-of-a-kind ceremony. We spent several months going back and forth personalizing every moment of our ceremony, and the end result was something that was so special that we have heard from guests routinely telling us it was the most incredible ceremony they had ever seen. As if that wasn't enough, Maria also makes the rehearsal and ceremony itself completely relaxed and immersive. She has an excellent presence, and was this perfect combination of grounding and calming while also keeping you so present in the moment and the result is that I remember every single detail of our flawless ceremony. She kept all the pieces moving together like clockwork while my husband and I stood there, completely engrossed in the ceremony. I had always loved the idea of being married by an officiant who was a friend and had a sense of our history as a couple. I can truly say that by hiring Maria, we had that experience because it is impossible to make it down the aisle that day without feeling so close to her, and generating a lasting connection. Thank you so much Maria! You crushed it!

Sent on 06/22/2018

A Sweet Start's reply:

Holy smokes, Meghan, this is awesome! Thank you so much for taking the time to write down all your experiences. I appreciate how you described what it felt like during the ceremony, that's exactly what I am to do! And, the note you made about how you always imagined being married by a friend and how it felt that way working with me makes my heart swell! Thank you from the bottom of my heart for choosing me and trusting me to be your officiant. Love you two! xoxo Maria

Lisa · Married on 05/26/2018

Having Maria officiate our wedding was one of the best decisions we made! She was eager to get to know us as a couple and learn about our wants and needs leading up to the wedding. We worked with her to create a ceremony that was simple yet incredibly meaningful to us and our families. At our rehearsal, Maria set the tone for what would end up being an unbelievably touching ceremony. As the nervous bride-to-be, I was amazed by the calm she brought to me and my fiance. But the real accolades came from our family and friends; everyone (and i mean everyone!) commented on what a wonderful job Maria did setting a relaxed, intimate tone and encouraging everyone to be present in the moment. To say we are pleased with how everything turned out is an understatement. Thank you Maria for being such an important part of our special day. With much love, Jamey and Lisa

Sent on 07/05/2018
    A Sweet Start 14
    A Sweet Start 15
    A Sweet Start 16

A Sweet Start's reply:

My dear Lisa and Jamey, thank you so much for sharing your experience working with me. I'm so glad to know I provided a relaxed and calming tone, that's exactly what I aim to do! It was such a pleasure getting to know you two, and I hope we see each other around town. :) All my love, Maria

Danielle · Married on 05/12/2018

My husband and I are forever thankful for Maria’s ongoing support, creativity, and passion for what she does. She put her heart and soul into every aspect of our ceremony and was truly able to capture our personalities and vision. I don’t think there was a dry eye in the house. And that includes all the laughter that took place. We has such a blast!
    Her flexibility and ability to problem solve is also something that can be extremely hard to find. Whether it be phone, email, or text, Maria was always accessible and made sure to check in multiple times throughout the process. She kept me calm right up to the wedding day.
    Thank you Maria for making our wedding weekend so memorable and for telling our story. You truly have an amazing gift. And to any future brides- Maria will be the best decision you ever make!

Sent on 07/13/2018

A Sweet Start's reply:

Dear Mrs. Bowman! Thank you so much for this incredible review! I don't think I've ever laughed so hard during a ceremony, thank you for being so fun, easy to work with and lovable! I'm so happy I was able to help you stay calm. Keep in touch and give me updates on how the wisteria is growing. ;) Luv ya! xoxo

Lauren · Married on 10/21/2017

My husband and I are ecstatic with the work Maria did for our wedding. Maria goes above and beyond what is expected of an officiant. She helps couples every step of the way from planning the day, making herself available to ask questions and creating a ceremony that not only feels intimate for you and your partner, but also connected to all of your guests. Maria speaks eloquently, projects herself well, and truly knows what she is doing to make your ceremony flow, but also slow down and hold on to that special moment. We absolutely adore Maria and her work. We would recommend her at ALL! (:

Thank you Maria!!
    The Campbells

Sent on 11/29/2017

A Sweet Start's reply:

Dear Mr. and Mrs. Campbell (wohoo!!), thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. Knowing that you felt supported through every stage of creating and planning your ceremony makes me so happy, as that's what I aspire to do for my clients. I'm so glad we worked together on your absolutely perfect wedding! With love, Maria xoxo

Ben · Married on 10/14/2017

What can we say about Maria? From the moment we met (via Skype) we knew Maria was the person to marry us. Her experience, knowledge of vendor partners and the area, as well as her incredible passion for her work all proved to be invaluable. Having been involved in many weddings, but never our own, both my wife and I found Maria to be the most professional, caring, involved, and exciting officiant we've ever been around. From start to end, her guidance through our experience was incredible - Maria walked us through our ceremony, taking careful note of minute details to build out a touching, personal ceremony that came to life beautifully. Beyond just drafting the ceremony, Maria's command of the ceremony, ability to corral those involved, and remind us to stay in the moment was everything we needed, but didn't expect.

For any couples looking to tie the knot, Maria is worth every penny and then some. Our day was beyond words, and a major part of that was her professional knowledge, love and support.

As of today, Maria is no longer our officiant, but a close family friend!

Sent on 10/24/2017
    A Sweet Start 17

A Sweet Start's reply:

Wow, Ben, what can *I* say to *you?* This review is incredible, and I'm so grateful that you took the time to share your experience working with me. I'm especially touched by you saying that all those things I provided were what you needed but didn't expect. I love you and Jordan and can't wait to catch up next time you're in Maine! xoxo

Michelle · Married on 10/07/2017

How can I even begin to write about our experience with Maria?
    My husband and I were feeling anxious about finding the right person to officiate our wedding. We knew we wanted something special, personal, real, and fun without religious undertones, but had no idea where to begin. We set up a video call with Maria after reading reviews online and felt an immediate connection with her; we knew she was the right person to help us craft our fully-custom ceremony! From that day forward Maria was communicative, clear in her expectations, and available whenever we had additional questions. She set deadlines for us throughout the process, which allowed us to take the time we needed to be thoughtful about the pieces of the ceremony. We went back and forth with her over ceremony drafts 5 or 6 times, and it was finalized about a month before the wedding. I can't tell you how important this piece was - we had so many other things to think about in the weeks leading up to the wedding and I was so happy that we didn't have to scramble to write anything. The week of our wedding, we touched based again just to make sure we had all the timing right, and Maria made great suggestions about how to handle other details, like the processional. When it came time for the rehearsal, Maria was fun and assertive, making sure everyone knew where to be, which took so much pressure off of us and allowed us to relax and enjoy it! Thanks to Maria's help, our ceremony was just as we envisioned it. So many people commented later that they loved her energy and couldn't believe she hadn't known us for years! We watched our wedding video this week and couldn't stop smiling re-living the moment. It was perfect.

Sent on 11/10/2017

A Sweet Start's reply:

Oh my gosh, Michelle, you just blew my mind! This is such an excellent review because it's so specific; that will definitely help other couples trying to find the right officiant. I am SO grateful that you took the time to put all of this in writing. Thank you SO much! All my love to you and Ian! xoxo

Kris · Married on 09/30/2017

I can't say enough about Maria. She helped us come up with a beautiful, personalized ceremony, was a total pro guiding our wedding party through the rehearsal, and did everything she could to make our big day special. Her positive attitude and enthusiasm made her such a hit with everyone at our wedding. Thank you so much Maria!!

Sent on 10/07/2017

A Sweet Start's reply:

Thank *you* so much, Kris, for taking the time to share your experience! I'm so glad you got the personalized ceremony that you wanted and that you felt my enthusiasm for your wedding! All my love to you and Andy! xoxo

Lauren · Married on 09/02/2017

Choosing Maria of A Sweet Start to officiate our wedding day ceremony was hands down the best decision we made during our wedding planning process! My husband and I are not very religious and knew we wanted to get married outside, but that was about all we were sure of. After meeting Maria on Skype, we knew we could fully trust her to help us create the ceremony of our dreams. Maria custom tailored a ceremony for us that was unique and meaningful and she embraced our idea of a beer ceremony and turned it into reality! My husband and I are in our mid 20's so we thought most of our guests would be talking about "the party" the next day, but everyone could not stop raving about our ceremony! I had multiple people tell me it was the most beautiful ceremony they had ever attended. I cannot recommend Maria enough!

Sent on 02/06/2018

A Sweet Start's reply:

Well, Lauren, you just made my day! I'm smiling from ear-to-ear! Thank you so much for putting your experience working with me into your review. My favorite photo from your wedding is you raising your glass of beer and cheers-ing your guests. I love that your personalized your ceremony that way. Say hi to Mark! xoxo