Lynnie
WeddingWire Administrator October 2016

What has surprised you most about wedding planning?

Lynnie, on June 26, 2018 at 2:58 PM Posted in Planning 0 39
Saved Save

What has been the most surprising part about the wedding planning process so far?

Is it easier or harder than you expected? Are you enjoying it more or less than you thought you would? Have your friends or family been surprisingly helpful (or difficult)??

giphy.gif

Keep talking planning surprises with us by clicking through to the next question!

Next Question: What has been the most surprisingly expensive part of wedding planning?

39 Comments

• Happy Hedgie
    VIP September 2018
    Happy Hedgie ·
    • Flag

I'd say I'm most surprised by how much I care. I was never the little girl who dreamed about her fairytale wedding, now that I'm getting married I am putting a lot of thought and effort into planning it and all of the little details.

• MrsV1027
    Master October 2018
    MrsV1027 ·
    • Flag

It's exactly how I expected it to be. We are doing a DW so it's minimal planning

• Mmssecrets
    Devoted March 2019
    Mmssecrets ·
    • Flag
    It's a lot harder. The hardest thing is these vendors! To get ahold of them is like pulling teeth! I definitely am having a hard time but hey I'm dealing with it. My family and friends are telling me what I should do my not telling me how to get to that point. Nor is there help paying for it. So I have stopped talking about it all together to them unless I have to.
  • Tpatb
    Master August 2019
    Tpatb ·
    • Flag
    Planning has honestly been easy for me which was surprising, but maybe that was because we opted for a longer engagement.
  • Mac2Bee
    Devoted September 2018
    Mac2Bee ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

All of this. I care more than I ever thought I would.

• Shaunte
    Expert April 2020
    Shaunte ·
    • Flag

So far, I am surprised at how easy it all has been. The first thing we booked was our beautiful all-inclusive venue and our DOC (really a month-of). Our top priority has been to ensure that we are as stress-free as possible throughout the process and the actual day of. Part of that was making sure we secured the most reputable vendors we could within our budget and because we started planning 26 months in advance, it was possible.

My FH has gladly taken on the rehearsal dinner (we picked the place together with his family) and is planning the honeymoon. He has been supportive and surprisingly hands on - especially when it came to picking the venue.

• Danielle K
    VIP June 2019
    Danielle K ·
    • Flag

I didn't realize wedding planning would be so terrible and difficult! When we first got engaged we were in no hurry and I just wanted to enjoy it. I kind of thought we would just need to pick a place, a date, a preacher, our bridal party, and invitations. Yeah I was naïve.

• ArwenToHisAragorn
    Expert October 2018
    ArwenToHisAragorn ·
    • Flag

I was so excited when we got engaged but I didn't realize how brutal this would be. Everyone's got an opinion and they love to make my life hard Smiley smile at this point I just have to laugh. 99 more days!

• Mrs. Cohen
    Super October 2018
    Mrs. Cohen ·
    • Flag

Wedding planning is SO MUCH MORE DIFFICULT than I thought it would ever be and definitely not nearly as fun as I thought it would be. Although I've enjoyed some moments of planning, 85% of it has been stressful, overwhelming, depressing, and exhausting.

There are 2 things that have surprised me most with planning:

1) I did not realize how many mental breakdowns I would have and how many nights I would spend just crying non-stop over everything going wrong! I'm on day 5 of not crying, a new record for me these past 4 months lol

2) The expense has been shocking. I knew right away that the venue and catering would be pretty pricey, especially being in Los Angeles, but other things like an officiant ($450+ for 1 hour of their time? Hello, that's freakin' absurd!), a certified bartender (another $500 just to pour beer & wine that we're purchasing and supplying... and they still expect tips? Uh what??), a DJ ($1,300+ to spin music for 4 hours?).... the list just goes on! My parents are so graciously paying for our wedding, and they increased their budget from their initial $10K up to $18K, but that's their max... so now everything additional my FH and I have to come out of pocket for, which we barely have enough to cover. It's just insane how everyone involved with weddings charges outrageous amounts, because they know you'll do whatever it takes to have the wedding of your dreams.

Although this is the wedding I've dreamed about since I was a little girl (no exaggeration there), after all of the stressful planning and ridiculous expenses, I can honestly say that if I could do it all over again, I would elope in Vegas and take all of that money to use as a down payment on a home... or towards a killer honeymoon lol The dream wedding is NOT worth all the crap you have to deal with for the months or years leading up to it.... although, hoping once the day comes, my mind will change on that, but for now... yeah, eloping would have been a billion times better.

• Allie
    Super September 2018
    Allie ·
    • Flag

So, I think its been easier then I expected. However I am a super duper ocd planner freak! So.. I am sure thats help.

I am surprised how family and friends have made things difficult. Or the lack of help. Not that i have begged anyone for help.. I just expected more offers.. But other then that, I just remind myself WHY I am doing all this, and I honestly cant wait to marry the best man in the whole work Smiley winking

• K
    Beginner May 2018
    Katherine ·
    • Flag
    I think the planning was pretty easy just time consuming. Researching all the venues and vendors took time. The most frustrating thing was defiantly the budget. I did not budge from it so looking into venues was pretty depressing because they cost so much. My vendors were great working in my budget, I told them what it was and what I wanted then we worked together for options. We weren't fortune enough to have all our patents lining up to help and I wasn't willing to spend a years worth of college tuition on a one day event so ... ladies give yourself a break, start right away, set a 100 person guest list, be kind to your wallet, and get those awesome bridesmaids to help make wedding decor.
  • P.F.
    Super May 2018
    P.F. ·
    • Flag
    It was exactly what I thought it'd be. It was simple, easy, and stress-free.
  • Pirate & 60s Bride
    Champion March 2017
    Pirate & 60s Bride ·
    • Flag

With a DW and local reception behind me, I can say...

Most painful: 1) Cost...of everything! 2) dress shopping was frustrating 3) stress during last 30 days

Most fun: 1) Creating TWO themed events 2) Having fun designing all of the details with my hubby! So many giggles 3) Can't believe how excited I got over invites and linen swatches 4) How beautiful I felt even as an older bride and so happy about an intimate DW--it was an amazing day! And our local reception was one big awesome party with friends.

• Natalie
    Devoted June 2019
    Natalie ·
    • Flag

I'm surprised at the lack of follow up from vendors/venues while still on the hunt. We met with so many kind people and have already made our big decisions (venue, catering, bartending, DJ), but I reached out to SO many and we did various venue tours and not one of them followed up with me.

I guess I thought that they're trying to sell their service or space so they should be trying really hard, but perhaps with so many inquiries and actual brides/weddings to worry about that they focus on those instead!

• Natalie
    Devoted June 2019
    Natalie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Yes - our engagement is 1.5 years long and we made a ton of the big decisions in the first six months. Being a year out, I feel so relaxed now!

• Blonde Bond
    Dedicated October 2017
    Blonde Bond ·
    • Flag
    How downhill this site has gone. Thankfully all hell broke loose before I posted my BAM lol
  • Patricia
    Savvy March 2018
    Patricia ·
    • Flag

How happy I was that my husband agreed to hiring a planner!! I'll tell anyone having a nice size wedding please get a planner its so worth it. Planning a wedding is already stressful enough but doing it on your own is worse.

• Christal
    Just Said Yes July 2017
    Christal ·
    • Flag

I had the best surprise engagement..... but I'll say I was shocked at how difficult the planning process was. I was also shocked at how emotionally attached I had become with the everything surrounding the wedding.

• Marcelo & Joann Wedding
    Just Said Yes May 2018
    Marcelo & Joann Wedding ·
    • Flag
    When it was planning was smoothe but once started to get close to the date that when started to stress and everything but in the end it was and is all worth it
  • MaryEllen
    Expert October 2016
    MaryEllen ·
    • Flag
    Love planning but was surprised by how many people would ask if they were invited. Most of those people were not.

Comment on this discussion