MrsBurkes2020
Super October 2020

Custom made or store bought

MrsBurkes2020, on July 18, 2018 at 8:20 AM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 15
Saved Save
I really wanna be different for my 1st & last wedding lol so I want my dress different & thinking of getting it custom made .. How many of you FB are getting your dress made?

15 Comments

• Aidan
    Dedicated October 2020
    Aidan ·
    • Flag
    I’m not getting it fully custom but I’m buying a cheaper one and then customizing it myself. If I had the money I would go fully custom, though!
  • Meridabride
    Dedicated October 2018
    Meridabride ·
    • Flag

I definitely considered it, but then I realized that if I wanted to have any chance of not being a bridezilla, I wouldn't be able to because of the stress. I also did originally want one custom-made as there is a dressmaker I've always wanted to order from, but could never justify the price of.

In the end, my dress came to me out of pure chance second-hand. I still managed to find something 'different' with a lace dress from the early 1900s with a veil and garter for only $25 so how could I say no?

• T
    Super December 2018
    T P ·
    • Flag
    A custom made gown will be so beautiful and unique to truly capture the essence of your personality! I have considered having a dress made, but my father has always encouraged me to go dress shopping with my mother because she has looked forward to these opportunities since before I was born. My mother loves to shop, so I know she will want to spend a few hours playing dress up with me in a bridal store. A custom gown would be awesome, however. Your dress will be magnificent!
  • Kate
    Dedicated August 2019
    Kate ·
    • Flag
    There is an awesome new female start up company out of SF that is called Anomolie. Their mission is to build custom gowns without the crazy mark up- basically a dream. I am thinking about going this route too! I will definitely try on some dresses to nail down shape and fit as a starting point, though.

check them out on Instagram!! they have done some gorgeous dresses so far!!
  • Jennifer
    Master September 2018
    Jennifer ·
    • Flag

There is a bride @earias who did a custom gown and it came out STUNNING! Take a look at her conversations she has included photos of the process as well.

• MrsBurkes2020
    Super October 2020
    MrsBurkes2020 ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Yes I am gonna do it . Hopefully w/o being a Bridezilla lol
    But I would love to see yours @Meridabride
  • MrsBurkes2020
    Super October 2020
    MrsBurkes2020 ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    @Aidan that would b niiice
  • FutureMrsKC
    Master January 2019
    FutureMrsKC ·
    • Flag

I bought a dress from Davids Bridal that I haven't seen on any of my friends/family/in general. I even looked at Davids on Instagram and it doesn't seem to be a dress a ton of brides buy!

After I bought my dress I found this website https://dressanomalie.com/ that makes custom wedding dresses and seems really reasonably priced. I might have went this option had I thought about it more but overall I'm happy with my choice.

• MrsBurkes2020
    Super October 2020
    MrsBurkes2020 ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    @Kate thank you , I'm gonna look them up when I get off work.
  • MrsBurkes2020
    Super October 2020
    MrsBurkes2020 ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you @Jennifer

Ill check them out after work
  • K
    Expert September 2020
    Ka-Rina ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Would love to see!! Sounds amazing!!
  • K
    Dedicated July 2020
    Katie ·
    • Flag
    I think that's a great idea. I'm doing my dresssemi custom.i think it makes it more personal and will make you more comfortable on your big day.
  • Zoe O.
    Devoted November 2019
    Zoe O. ·
    • Flag

As a designer/seamstress, I always encourage having dresses made if it's feasible. You get it made to your specifications from design to color to exact sizing. Speaking of sizing, keep in mind, a dress that is made to your figure will always be more flattering than one that is bought and resized for you. Once the pieces of fabric are cut and sewn together, there is only so much that can be done to alter it, whereas a custom dress is cut, sewn, and altered to your body each step of the way. Also, alterations are just another cost on top of a store bought dress.

I'll be custom designing and making my own dress.

• Rachel
    Savvy April 2019
    Rachel ·
    • Flag

My mom had hers custom-made for her in 1985, and she was really adamant that I have mine made custom, as well. I don't fit into a lot of standard sizes (very long waist, large bust, super short legs), so I think it's the best call. I'm working with a designer who altered a BM dress for me a year ago, and so far it's a lot of fun. We're going based off a picture I found online, and the plan is to use some of the lace from my mom's dress in either the sleeves or skirt.

• G
    Just Said Yes August 2019
    Gina ·
    • Flag

I am currently getting my dress done by Anomolie and am sooo happy I did. That being said I have not physically seen my dress but so far they have been amazing with contacting about every detail that I expect only the best! If you have 8-12 months until your wedding (so you're not stressing) this is a great option to begin you get full 100% money back if you don't like it and can cancel at any time with a full refund as well.

Comment on this discussion