You're on our mind during COVID-19. See our related wedding FAQs.

Julia
Beginner August 2009

A Nontraditional wedding dress

Julia, on March 18, 2008 at 4:25 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 19
Saved Save

I'm looking to wear a red or purple wedding dress. I've never followed the rules and hate white anyway. I just don't want to cause any controversy, (I mean I know I'm no Angelina Jolie with a t-shirt with blood), but people love to follow those traditions, even when they don't know the origins.

19 Comments

• H
    Dedicated April 2010
    hopfulk ·
    • Flag

If you want to wear a colored wedding dress then do it. I think it should be pasteled and it's your wedding anyway so do! Give something to talk about at you wedding! Make it exciting and an experience that no one will every forget.

• B
    Devoted December 2011
    Breidie ·
    • Flag

Hi Julia!

There are so many great options out there now-a-days, you can definitely find something you love in the color your want!

Here's a dress a friend of mine is selling. She bought two wedding dresses and chose the other one (scroll down half way, and click on the white with purple overlay)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200206869317&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fsearch.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm37%26satitle%3D200206869317%26category0%3D%26fvi%3D1

I'll send some more links with red or purple as I come across them. Let us know what you choose!

Breidie

• Christina
    Expert July 2007
    Christina ·
    • Flag

If your going to go that route than I would say buying a prom dress, they have the same styles as you would find in a wedding dress except with color, and will cost a lot less. Just my two cents.

• Jennifer Dustin
    April 2020
    Jennifer Dustin ·
    • Flag

Wedding dresses are white to symbolize purity, and a long time ago, virginity. But with those two things being in short supply in todays society, white has become just another color. So why not wear a color that represents you or how you feel? I think its a wonderful idea! And the crowd will probably gasp when they finally see you! What a neat reaction you'll get!

• J
    Savvy October 2008
    jessy101108 ·
    • Flag

If you do not want to wear white then dont. A while back white wasnt even the color for wedding dresses, it only became that way because of the fact that dyes were so expensive. The only reccomendation is that if you are going to go for another color make sure that it really fits your personnality. You do not want everyone to be saying "why didnt she wear white". You want everyone to say "that dress was the best choice". Good luck!

• L
    Just Said Yes September 2008
    lafoley ·
    • Flag

I love your idea! I'm not traditional in any sense (I'm not taking my fiances name, I'm keeping my nose piercing in for the day, etc..) so I say embrace it!! Doing what you want should not cause controversy. I don't subscribe to the "it's your day do what you want" thing cuz I think too many women take it too far but really you should do what makes you happy. I don't think a riot will ensue if you don't wear white. Rock the purple dress! I like purple better!

• RaeRae
    Just Said Yes October 2010
    RaeRae ·
    • Flag

One of my friends got married last december in a sapphire blue dress...and one of my brother's co-workers wore a blood red dress to her wedding. And my best friend is getting married in silver. So its up to your own sense of style and what you want.

Purple would be the first color dress I have heard of getting married in. but i always go by the quote "to each its own". go for what you really want.

• sockfuzz
    Dedicated May 2008
    sockfuzz ·
    • Flag

Go for it! I was going to wear a color, but my fiance was definitely not keen on the idea of me wearing red. I was looking at maybe green, but went out shopping for wedding dresses just to see what was out there. I ended up falling in love with a dress that's mostly ivory, but has green leaf and red and pink flower embroidery throughout the dress. It's not quite the departure from tradition that I was envisioning, but it is definitely not the typical white wedding dress. I say wear what you love and what you're comfortable in, and make your wedding reflective of *you*.

• Julia
    Beginner August 2009
    Julia ·
    • Flag

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR YOUR RESPONSES THEY MEAN A LOT!!! I FEEL BETTER TAKING THE PLUNGE, I'M GOING TO LOVE IT!!!

• B
    Devoted December 2011
    Breidie ·
    • Flag

Hi Julia!

You're welcome! Glad we made you feel better! And you're gonna love this...

Go to brides.com. Then go to "Fashion" and click on "Dresses". About 4" below, click on "wedding dresses" Then about 7" to the right, click on "View all Dresses."

On the left-hand side of the page, running up and down are a bunch of categories, including Colors. Click on "Red" or "Purple" and all the photos of wedding dresses the website has in their database that come in that color will come up.

Some of the pictures may be of white dresses but it means that you can get that dress in the color you chose.

Have fun! (And let us know what you chose when you do!)

Breidie

• Jennie & Jamee
    Just Said Yes October 2008
    Jennie & Jamee ·
    • Flag

Www.davidsbridal.com

Go there my wedding dress is red its not trashy its very romantic and i got a great price for the whole thing dress alterations veil under 700.00 hope that helped

• ruth leroy
    April 2020
    ruth leroy ·
    • Flag

Hi, I am a wedding dress vendor and sell traditional and non traditional made to measure dresses at reasonable prices in my webshops http://www.blissfulbridesonline.co.uk

we have a colour section and a gothic section where you will find red, black and other different coloured gowns.

See also http://gothicweddingdresses.webs.com

Best wishes for your wedding!

Ruth.

• B
    Devoted December 2011
    Breidie ·
    • Flag

Wer Wer,

These gothic gowns are gorgeous! A little frustrating because only some of the pictures will enlarge.

Breidie

• Julia
    Beginner August 2009
    Julia ·
    • Flag

Oh I know I love the goth gowns absolutely beautiful, I hate that you can't click them all! I'm going for the red or purple because I don't want to be completely opposite and do black although thats my heart of hearts I love black it looks good on almost everyone and it's slimming!!!

• HayMckenna Photography
    April 2020
    HayMckenna Photography ·
    • Flag

Go for it ... for sure. I photograph weddings and sigh in relief when things are unique. Everything that is different just adds to the fun for everyone. Smiley smile E

Elaine Studley

• Raji Barbir
    April 2020
    Raji Barbir ·
    • Flag

Absolutely go for what you love! This is *your* wedding, remember? Smiley smile

• MrsAlmostK08
    Beginner October 2008
    MrsAlmostK08 ·
    • Flag

You're right up my alley! We're having a Halloween Costume Wedding, and I'm definitely not wearing white.

My dress is this one, only I'm not wearing blue, but purple and black. Our colors are Purple, Orange and Black, and my bouquet will be a clutch of Orange roses, so it all goes together. The dress ended up costing me 700 US dollars, which isn't bad, even though I had to pay expensive overseas shipping. I love the organza and I'm so excited to wear it!

• B
    Devoted December 2011
    Breidie ·
    • Flag

MrsAlmostK08,

I just looked at your dress. I love it, love it, love it! Hope you post photos after. Smiley smile

Breidie

• Jamee & Jennie
    Just Said Yes October 2008
    Jamee & Jennie ·
    • Flag

Im wearing a beautiful red and white dress from davids bridal i dont follow rules either and thats why i have choose something that is me i dont think that i would have worn anyother dress other then the one i picked out i saw throw out all of those traditional ideas if thats not you on the one day that will never happen agian be your self of all things enjoy what you are wearing dispite what others might think. if they want you to wear something else have them buy it lol... enjoy and have fun hope you go with the dress you want and not what they want.

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics