Amalfi Catering Reviews

10 | Narragansett, RI

10 Reviews for Amalfi Catering

Jessica Russel · Married on 07/04/2018

Best 4th of July

A little late on getting around to posting this review! Jim and his crewed catered our annual 4th of July party. Typically, we host up to 50-60 guests, this year everyone and their brother showed up. Jim didn’t think twice about it we had at least 80 guests show up, and the food was amazing. Chef Jeffery created these amazing finger sized lobster rolls for appetizers, and my guests couldn’t get enough! This is the first year we have ever catered our annual party and I can honestly say Jim and his team will be back again next year. I was finally able to enjoy my time with friends and family. Thank you Amalfi =]

Sent on 10/16/2018

Amalfi Catering's reply:

Jessica, thank you very much for your review! We were very pleased by the outcome of the event and look forward to work with you in future years!

Rebecca · Married on 07/01/2016

For the very beginning Amalfi Catering went above and beyond! They answered my inquiry email with menu plans and prices for our budget, etc! Anytime I had a question, Jim LeDonne was their to answer them and to provide suggestions that I hadn't even thought of myself, but made the day that much better! Our guest RAVED about the food and said it was the best wedding food they had ever had! There is no question that you will be happy with the choice to go with Amalfi!

Sent on 07/22/2016

Sara · Married on 09/14/2014

Jim at Amalfi catering was fantastic to work with. Food is very important to my husband and I so when it came to choosing a caterer for our wedding we wanted someone who was as passionate about food as we are. Our guest still come up to us- months later- raving about the delicious food. Not only was Jim our caterer he was also our wedding coordinator at The Village Inn. I can't thank him enough for bringing our special day together as well as he did.

Sent on 12/07/2014

K · Married on 10/19/2013

We used Amalfi Catering for our daughter's wedding reception in October, and were extremely pleased with our choice. We met with Jim Ledonne, the owner of the company, to discuss what we had in mind for our wedding. He was very flexible to work with and always willing to accommodate us. From our very first meeting until the day of the wedding, Jim always made himself readily available for anything we needed. The night went great, just as we expected, the food was fantastic; both the taste and the presentation, the service was excellent, and Jim was onsite and available for the entire wedding, as was his assistant Casey. Together they and their staff made our wedding a huge success. Overall Amalfi Catering exceeded our expectations, and we would highly recommend them!

Sent on 10/31/2013

Victoria · Married on 12/31/2016

We used Amalfi Catering for our New Year's Eve wedding a couple of months ago and everything went really well! From the very beginning, Jim worked with us to put together the perfect wedding package to fit our needs. He was also the coordinator of the ballroom at Aqua Blue, so he helped us figure out everything with the space, tables, linens, food and drinks. He was very easy to work with and was always open to any ideas we had. At the wedding, everything ran very smoothly. The bartenders were friendly and fun, the food was delicious and everything progressed seamlessly. I would definitely recommend Amalfi Catering to anyone!

Sent on 02/08/2017
  • Kathryn

Kathryn Anderson · Married on 09/08/2018

Wedding planner to the rescue!

We used Amalfi Catering for our rehearsal and wedding. Amalfi offered their charming Bistro in Narragansett for our rehearsal, which was prefect for our families. From the rehearsal dinner to the wedding every detail was handled. About a week prior to the wedding we decided last minute to hire Catherine as our day-of-wedding planner – without her I would have been so stressed the day of! I was convinced I would be able to handle all the small odds and ends that go into the setup of a dream wedding. But without Catherine’s help I would have been a wreck, I was able to relax with my bridesmaids and Mom the morning of. Catherine checked in with us twice before lining us up to walk down the aisle. She made everything seem so simple and calming it made a huge difference on my day!

Sent on 10/16/2018

Michael Bryant · Married on 08/18/2018

Daughters Wedding

I hired Jim for my daughter’s wedding this past year, we were a return customer as we had also hired Amalfi Catering for our oldest daughter’s wedding two years previous. This year it appeared Jim had a whole new crew working for him, which made us a bit nervous. But after meeting with Catherine (Sales Manager) and Jeff (Head Chef) we were pleased at the breath of fresh air they seemed to offer to Jim. My only hope is that in the future we have another reason to hire Amalfi Catering!

Sent on 10/18/2018

Hello Michael,

The team at Amalfi is so pleased to read this review. We would like to wish you and your family the best in the upcoming years. If you ever have a need for catering please reach out to me directly on my cell!

All the Best
    -Catherine

I worked with Kasey for my wedding. She was very accommodating and made sure I had everything I needed. Of course with every wedding not everything goes perfectly but there were not any major issues. There were small hiccups but they could have been avoided. Overall, I would recommend them.

Sent on 08/07/2014

Darin · Married on 11/24/2018

1.2
      2.0
      1.0

You get what you pay for - be warned

We read many reviews on caterers. It is very hard to select one unless you are doing many events. So we used the things that went wrong to guide us. Amalfi was our third choice and we selected them as they came in the lowest. Please read the other reviews on them.

All of the negative reviews came true. The food was not the same as the tasting to preview the dinner, they were understaffed, people we not able to get drinks, they ended the event 30 to 40 minutes prior to the end time when they had an extra hour to clean up after (lights came on and the linens were removed and people were going everywhere. This was also partly due to the site attendant wanting to leave early and turning on lights etc...). Amalfi also did not provide all the food that we had paid for. They were very insistent on knowing peoples allergies and seating, but then set up the seating wrong. The food was taken away too early. They were late getting the desert put out. Every time we spoke, things were great, they were going to be on top of things and it was all going to be wonderful. In actuality, it was not as they promised. Everything sounded great when talking, was mediocre at the beginning of the event and went to hell at the end of the event. You get what you pay for so when you make your choice, heed the reviews, do your research. At the end of the day they are all in it to make money.

Make sure that you read the contract also. There are two additional fees in addition to the per person charges. The one fee includes 22% gratuity so you are paying them in advance for the service. But the pricing was fair at the planning stage.

They will work their hardest to make the day special, but they just seem to come up short based on our experience and the reviews that we read. It is your choice in the end. I was not monitoring them so I do not know why they failed, but they definitely needed at least one more person and they needed to follow the game plan that we worked hard with them to establish. We communicated many times that none of these things should have happened.

Sent on 10/29/2018

Amalfi Catering's reply:

Hello Darin, I am sorry to hear that your experience with Amalfi was not satisfactory. I would very much like to speak with you, if possible please email or call directly- it would be greatly appreciated. Also if you could please confirm your wedding date, as the one you listed as November 24, 2018 is still in the future.

Madeline · Married on 09/02/2018

0.4
      0.5

It’s with much regret that I have to give Jim one star because he’s a nice guy and his chef, Jeff, seems like a great guy. It all started out great, the food we had at our first tasting was delicious, Jim was super responsive and helpful, but after putting down an $1800 deposit and having our second tasting we were forced to fire Amalfi Catering. We had invited 4 our friends to come to the second tasting and we were horrified/embarrassed by the food that was served. We asked to have the same dishes that we had tried at our first tasting but none of the dishes were the same. Instead of a chicken Tuscany we were served a poorly made bland Chardonnay chicken with raw spinach (not sautéed like it had been before) and over cooked rice. The salmon was also over cooked and so dry. The herb crust on the salmon was horrible. Lastly the vegetarian lasagna that we had requested with marinara sauce was served, and to our horror it had ground beef in it and had Alfredo sauce over the top. The salad and hors d’oeuvres were just OK. Jim had served cocktails at the tasting and had completely ignored our request for a dark and stormy and mojito. Instead we got two very similar bland drinks, one with Southern comfort and tea and the other with something ginger but still was not a dark and stormy

Jim was apologetic about everything and offered to give us stuff for free in our package by we feel like we could not trust him at all any more. We cancelled the second deposit check and when we requested a partial refund of the first deposit, we got no response.

I warn anyone considering having Amalfi Catering work their event. Jim is forgetful and messy with his work, haspoor communication ALL around; between us and Jim and between Jim and his chef. We feel like we dodged a bullet here. And if it cost us 1800$, I’m okay with that as long as I can have a different caterer who will actually serve good food at my wedding.

We’ve hired West Bay Gourmet now and are very happy so far.

Sent on 02/16/2018