Charging a fee just to try on gowns
I went to one store here in NYC that charged me $25 just to try on gowns. I didn't like the idea, but since it was a nominal fee, I did it anyway.

But this I just saw on Yahoo, and OMG...

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/trending-now/vera-wang-boutique-charging-nearly-500-try-dress-174314291.html

Jen
Married: 03/16/2014
Posted On: Mar 25, 2013 at 3:26 PM • Vendors are allowed • Add to My WatchlistFlag As Inappropriate0 likes

34 Comments | Login or Signup to post a comment!
«12»

Misty
Married: 06/23/2013
Reviews: 2
Mar 25, 2013 at 4:10 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I would NEVER patronize a place that made me pay to shop.

Married: 05/11/2013
Reviews: 10
Mar 25, 2013 at 4:10 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I actually think the charge is a good idea...being in retail I would hate to have my time wasted especially if I worked on commission. And $500 is like a drop in the bucket in China...good for Vera..the counterfeits are horrendous!

Nay-Nay
Wedding: 05/24/2014
Mar 25, 2013 at 4:16 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
yeah I can see why some places would charge...as stated before some people just like to try on wedding dresses for fun. 500 is a lot but 25 isn't too bad.

Married: 10/15/2011
Reviews: 7
Mar 25, 2013 at 4:25 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Then why wouldn't they charge for people to test drive cars? If nothing else, you are using their gas, they have to pay insurance, and cars are typically more expensive than dresses.

I understand people try dresses for fun, and that's a waste of time for the consultants and the store. But that's the part of being in retail. I never tried on dresses for fun, it was always with the intention to buy, but there wasn't any guarantee that I was going to find what I was looking for. Then they should also post the price of dresses, so that you know what you're getting into.
Edited On: Mar 25, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Amy A.
Married: 08/31/2013
Reviews: 5
Mar 25, 2013 at 4:29 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
AS far as being charged to test drive cars, I'm pretty sure there are similar stipulations if you want to test drive, say, a Lambo. They aren't gonna let me walk in and drive the thing. I'm almost positive they require credit checks and some sort of fee.

Just Reenski
Married: 1+ year ago
Reviews: 9
Mar 25, 2013 at 4:35 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Like Amy said, I think charging to test drive a Lambo or a Maserati would be okay, because my H doesn't need to waste their time or gas. So for Kleinfeld, Amsale or Vera Wang to charge a fee (not $500, that is really a Shanghai thing) wouldn't be out of line.

But just as I don't expect Hyundai to charge for test drives, I don't expect David's to charge either.

When we still had S2000's, sales did try to make it difficult for the ricers that came in wanting to test drive it. Says she considering getting another one for her husband. Le sigh.

Oh, also, yes, totally agree with more honesty about the prices of dresses -- don't encourage people to come to your store by telling them you're in their budget if you aren't.
Edited On: Mar 25, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Mar 25, 2013 at 4:35 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
You can test drive all sorts of expensive cars without a credit check and a fee. I'm not sure about Lambo specifically, but you can do it with other pretty expensive cars.

Amy A.
Married: 08/31/2013
Reviews: 5
Mar 25, 2013 at 4:36 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Some high-end restaurants hold a credit card too, and they'll charge you if you hold a reservation and don't show up.

Mar 25, 2013 at 4:37 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Sure, and again, I understand they want to prevent people from doing it for fun. But what would make sense to me is that a) you know the prices going in (you know the approximate price of a Lambo), and b) making sure there's something for me to try on.

Just Reenski
Mar 25, 2013 at 4:42 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Well, the example in the article is certainly an extreme one, but I can understand in that case being more about protecting the work than the keeping out time wasters.

Agreed that in making an appointment it should be clear of what a bride's budget is, if the shop can cater to that in any way, general sizing and ideas of what you want to make sure you have it. Perhaps we can add to that the booking of an appointment, not allowing teens to walk in after school to try on Bella's gown.

If the budget and price points don't meet, you only wasted a phone call. If they do meet and all is well, I don't think simply holding a CC to show you are seriously shopping is too much, charged only for no-shows. If you need to cancel, call and cancel, no problem, but don't just not show up.

I think that's one of the big problems AA faced with the Bella dress -- people just walked in to try it on.

ashlee
Married: 01/28/2012
Reviews: 12
Mar 25, 2013 at 4:54 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
i purchased my gown at vera wang on madison ave in nyc (the flagship store) and i can assure that nothing like this happened -- and that i had an incredible experience with them. i can only assume that their policy is in place for good reason - and it is unfortunate that it is even necessary.

living in nyc you burn out on humanity pretty quickly, so it does not surprise me that some places would charge or hold a deposit for an appointment. time is money and if they are setting aside time for you (and turning away someone else) they are losing money. i cant imagine that people would go try wedding dresses on 'for fun' but to each his own.

Just Reenski
Mar 25, 2013 at 5:01 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I also think the where is important -- I think a fee in NYC makes more sense than one in, say, Fort Myers, FL. You gotta know your market, where this would make sense if you have problems or where it wouldn't.

Similarly, a lot would be helped (since we keep bringing up the AA example) by shops having a 18 only type policy -- some shops don't allow small children, so why allow children at all? Legally, 17 is still a kid.

Married: 12/11/2013
Reviews: 6
Mar 25, 2013 at 5:01 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
You know what I say to that...

PurpleSun
Married: 09/01/2013
Reviews: 2
Mar 25, 2013 at 5:11 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
maybe for cleaning? I would never pay to try on though
Login or Signup to post a comment!
«12»

Topics