Potomac Floral Wholesale

• Responsiveness:  4.5
  • Professionalism:  4.5
  • Value:  4.5
  • Flexibility:  4.5
We did our own flowers and decided to get flowers here. We placed the order prior and everything was put together. When it was time to check out, things were hectic. We ended up standing around waiting for assistance to check out. Nonetheless a good value that helped us save money for the wedding!
Wedding: 09/27/2014

Private User 2 Reviews
There are a variety of flowers to choose from at such an affordable price. The quality of the flowers are also great.
  • Flexibility:  5.0
Fabulous -- I can't say any other word than fabulous. Being an insane person who's always loved flowers, I decided to do my own for my wedding, and Potomac Floral Wholesale exceeded every expectation and made it fun. Their prices are consistently 30-40% cheaper than other places I checked (esp online) and then I got discounts on top because of my order size (even though I thought it was a smaller one). I really wanted peonies in my bouquet, and they made it happen on short notice at market rate when most places didn't even have them. I strongly encourage you to visit them in person; I tried to do a lot of stuff online (inspiration pics to determine my favorite flowers, price compare, etc) but nothing compares to just going there in person and seeing what they actually have; I changed up several things based on holding bunches together and seeing how they worked.

Special shoutouts to Jeff (friendly, funny, reassuring), Natalie (coordinate an after hours order), Chris (guy in supplies - in demand, but so friendly, problem solver, great advice), and the guy who helped me at pickup (maybe Greg/Dave?), who, when some things had to be substituted because of availability, clearly loved flowers, had a great eye, and was so friendly and helpful).

Tips:
-wear thick layers -- it's cold in the refrigerator
-if you have a Saturday event, schedule a Wednesday pickup. I was worried about them peaking early, but I would have loved more time for the garden roses to open fully (plus it’s a little crazy Thursdays with people picking up for Saturday events)
-be flexible! I ordered 12 low silver ceramic urns, but supplies is reorganizing and only had 8. Chris called me before to let me know, but I said we’d figure it out in person. Sure enough, I found a coordinating urn, swapped 4 out, and everything worked perfectly.

Bottom line: In a wedding industry full of shady upsellers, they don't, and where they could be jerks because of their prices, their customer service is top notch.
Wedding: 08/16/2014
4.8/5.0
  • Flexibility:  5.0
Great flowers for a great price. Good variety!
Wedding: 08/02/2014
2.4/5.0
  • Quality of Service:  1.0
  • Responsiveness:  3.0
  • Professionalism:  3.0
  • Value:  2.0
  • Flexibility:  3.0
Having some art and design talent I wanted to save money by ordering wholesale flowers and creating my own arrangements. My flowers showed up flattened, browning and with substitutions for item that were out of stock that I was never informed of. I was significantly disappointed by the large portion of the flowers that were not even usable. Their website had all sorts of disclaimers about not being responsibly for damage due to shipping. I should have realized this was a red flag for the abuse my flowers would receive.
Wedding: 06/14/2014
  • Flexibility:  5.0
I strongly advice for people to order flowers from this vendor. They had the best prices comparable. I looked at many wholesale florists and this was the place to beat. I was fortunate that I was able to save money by going to the location to pick up flowers.
My friend and I were in awe by the huge warehouse filled with fresh flowers and plants.
I was not able to get lilacs (I knew that I had a slim chance on getting them since when I ordered them it was during the time they were possibly going to be out of season) They called me days in advance to let me know that I would not be able to get lilacs due to the weather being too warm for another bloom. They were very helpful with choosing another option. Being that I was going to go and pick the flowers myself they said I could just come in and grab other flowers myself (they helped me with different options to substitute for the lilacs).
When I went to pick up the flowers they were very helpful and also helped with letting me know how to take care of the flowers based on how I would like them for our wedding ie. closed peonies vs open etc.
(I had ordered one bunch of peonies from another place and received them the day before (potomac floral place did not have the color I wanted) and they told me what to do with my flowers so that they would possibly stay closed (long story about that). But when I went to potomac floral they told me the opposite and sure enough the next morning the peonies I ordered from the other place were not usable for my bouquet I was only able to use them for the flower girls basket being that all the petals fell off. The flowers I ordered from potomac were perfectly fine and exactly how I wanted them to be for our wedding day 2 days after picking them up.
I will go to potomac floral anytime I need flowers and would suggest this place to anyone who needs flowers. My friend that came with me was jealous that I lived near a place like potomac floral!
Wedding: 06/08/2014
4.4/5.0

Private User 5 Reviews
I was super nervous to DIY the flowers for our wedding, but I have to say in hindsight it worked out incredibly well - the flowers were gorgeous and we did everything (bouquets, boutonnieres, flower arrangements for the ceremony and tables, and rose petals for flower girls) all for $600. We picked up the flowers 2 days in advance and kept them in our hotel bathroom. I was super nervous that they would not make it, but they actually held up for a few days even after the wedding. I did lots of online reading ahead of time about flower care, bought sharp scissors to cut them (while holding under water) and made sure to pick off any leaves or dead stuff at the bottom to help them stay fresh. In the end, it was really fun picking out all the flowers. I'd say this is a great option if you are on a budget and willing to take on a project. You also have to be flexible - I ordered a bunch of ranunculus in different colors and when I arrived I found out they only had red, so I had to make some last-minute switches, but I was really happy with how it all turned out.
4.9/5.0
  • Quality of Service:  4.5

Melissa... 8 Reviews
We used Potomac Wholesale to get our flowers for our wedding. My mom, a florist from out-of-state, then put together all our flowers in home. We worked with Evan at Potomac and he was incredibly helpful and fun. He was very nice and worked easily with my mom, getting all the flowers we needed. He gave her an excellent deal and honored prices that she had found at competing wholesalers. I would give a perfect score except that some of the flowers we received did not open in time for our use at the wedding (which, ya know, nature), but otherwise, everything was wonderful and Potomac was a great vendor to work with.
Wedding: 05/16/2014
3.8/5.0
  • Quality of Service:  4.0
  • Professionalism:  3.0
  • Value:  4.0

Private User 4 Reviews
If your doing your flowers by yourself like I did this is a great place to get all of your flowers and supply. It was great that you could go in walk around and choose what ever you wanted. But the downside to that was we were not exactly which flower we were choosing and the price of it. So we had a few flowers that were more expensive than we thought ( if I would have know the cost I would have not chosen these flowers) overall the prices were great and reasonabls just be careful of those few that will surprise you. It can get pretty crowed depending on when you go. I bought my flowers on Thursday and about 90% lasted through the wedding on Saturday. So buy a few extra. The men inside were very help full with getting us down different boxes of flowers for us to choose from. One even went to a different section to get me better flowers than what was on the shelf.
3.4/5.0
  • Quality of Service:  3.0
  • Value:  3.0
  • Flexibility:  3.0
I am a DIY bride, and wanted to save money by making my own centerpieces, bouquets, boutineers for my wedding. I purchased hydrangeas, roses and orchids for the wedding. It went on a Thursday, and didn't realize it was one of their most busiest days, but I did pre-order in advance. They said that 2 days before the wedding would be fine, I had an April wedding, so the weather wasn't hot yet. When I went in, it was full of people, and when they put the order together, it wasn't ready when I got there, so I had to wait, and then it was already packaged before I could see, I did order a lot. When I went home, most of the flowers were not in the best condition. The orchids on the other hand were ok, but the hydrangeas and roses needed help. I have never handled flowers before, so I had to look up myself how to take care of them. I was able to revive the hydrangeas, but the roses, were already bloomed before the wedding, and the petals falling off. Overall, I did save money, but I wish the vendor would have let me see all of the flowers before packaging it. In the end, I was still happy with our results of our centerpieces, just not happy with how they weren't the best flowers we received, I wasted a lot of roses, because they were too bloomed. My lesson learned is to get the flowers one day before the wedding, not two days which is what the vendor recommended.
Wedding: 04/26/2014
4.8/5.0
  • Flexibility:  4.0
I ordered my flowers online several months before my wedding and received them on exactly the day I requested. They came boxed up with some ice packs and the flowers were in great condition! My wedding was the next day and the flowers held up wonderfully. I was very pleased overall with my flowers. The only reason I give them 4 stars and not 5 is because 2 of the flowers I ordered were not available in the colors I wanted and I received different colors. My bouquet and centerpieces still turned out gorgeous and I ended up liking the flower color changes even better than what I had picked. I would absolutely recommend them to anyone doing their flowers themselves!
Wedding: 04/26/2014

Private User 4 Reviews
We went the wholesaler route and it was perfect! The flowers arrived the day before the wedding, were in perfect condition, and was seriously one-fourth the price of all the florists we were looking into!

Anonymous 5 Reviews
I went to Potomac Floral two days before my wedding and got flowers to make my bouquet, as well as bouquets for my 3 bridesmaids. The staff helped me pick out fresh flowers and supplies. Almost a week later, I am still enjoying the flowers. Potomac Floral is great!
Wedding: 1+ year ago
3.6/5.0
  • Quality of Service:  4.0
  • Responsiveness:  4.5
  • Professionalism:  2.5
  • Value:  4.0
  • Flexibility:  3.0
Pretty good overall. Weekend hours could be more convenient on Saturday's. Prices were reasonable.
Wedding: 12/09/2012

Anonymous 3 Reviews
So I need to preface this review with that I had no idea what I was doing when I chose to do my own flowers! I can be pretty crafty at times and most of my wedding I chose to DIY because I wanted special touches throughout but didn't want to pay the ridiculous price tag to go with it. So, I chose to do my own flowers after we met with florists who were going to charge me at minimum $1600 for simple arrangements. I watched a lot of Youtube videos and heard about Potomac Floral so went to check them out. They are in the business of wholesale so if you go in there thinking it's Nordstroms- don't. With that said, if you go in there with a pleasant attitude you will have an amazing experience. They have a huge cooling room filled to the brim with fresh cut flowers- little piece of heaven and they are so helpful in explaining the process and how to care for the flowers on your wedding day. I made my bouquet (quite large), 3 bridesmaids bouquets, one toss bouquet, 7 boutonieres, and multiple aisle arrangements for $275. They have a wholesale "crafts" room that sells floral tape, pins, candles, ribbon- AMAZING!! I can't say enough nice things about Potomac Floral!!
Wedding: 1+ year ago
  • Flexibility:  5.0
Potomac Floral was a wonderful place for ordering your own wedding flowers for bouquets, boutonnieres, and centerpieces! We consulted with Paulita at Potomac Floral while we placed our order, and she was so incredibly helpful. The flowers came out beautifully, and we even were able to dry the bouquets after the wedding- such a great keepsake!
Wedding: 09/29/2012