Potomac Floral Wholesale

Potomac Floral Wholesale

Favorite
Silver Spring, MD
Is this your business? Claim this listing
• Customize your Storefront with your business info
• Network with and learn from other professionals
• Showcase your work with photos & videos
• Collect reviews from your clients and build more credibility

Quality of Service
Responsiveness
Professionalism
Value
Flexibility
4.7

I decided to DIY my wedding flowers to save some money, and Potomac Floral Wholesale did not disappoint. It is a bit hectic when you first go there, but I found all of the staff to be very friendly and helpful, especially since I'm not floral expert. They worked with me to help me pick flowers that were in season, in my colors, hardy and within budget, and the flowers turned out lovely. I picked my flowers up 2 days before my wedding and made all of the arrangements the night before. I didn't have a large fridge to store them, so I left them in water in my basement for 2 days and 95% of them still looked good on my wedding day. I was definitely impressed with what I could get in my budget, and how well the flowers turned out given the less than ideal storage I had and a general lack of experience I had personally with flower arranging. I would definitely check them out if you are thinking about going the DIY route.

Services Used: Flowers

We went to pick up our flowers the day before our ceremony, and we got enough flowers for five bouquets and five boutonnieres at a very reasonable price. If you are not afraid of DIY bouquet making, this is the place to go. They have a large selection and all the supplies you will need.

Services Used: Flowers

If you want to do any part of your flowers on your own, this is the place to go. Their selection was huge! As a forewarning, if you are going to order through the website, I think you need to order something like two weeks ahead of time - I never saw that on the website, but was informed when I called in. I ended up ordering via phone.

Anyhow, their flowers are gorgeous and there are SO many! I ended up seeing a few extra things and walking out with even more than I had initially ordered.

I also ordered a thing of Euro Bouquets, which are impressively beautifully arranged. They are quite large though, so if you are ordering them for bridesmaids bouquets (which I did) you may need to trim them down.

When you get to the warehouse, it is a bit of a madhouse so you may need to be proactive and pushy to get a sales rep to help you check out. The staff was all very friendly and helpful though, and I was given a lot of good pointers for keeping the flowers fresh.

Altogether, I wish I had more events that I needed to order lots of flowers for just so I could use them again!

Services Used: Flowers

I'm so fortunate to live so close to Potomac Wholesale. We saved hundreds DIYing all our flowers, and it's a fraction of the cost of what it would cost to hire a florist. I worked with Natalie to help pick out flowers for my order. This was my first time picking out flowers and we had more than enough for our arrangements, bouquets, and centerpieces. I did a lot of research online to pick out what flowers matched my colors and were in season and in my price point, but I did find that some of them were not the right colors or style in person, so I would definitely recommend going in person if you are picking out flowers you're unfamiliar with (some might have an aroma that is odd too that you won't get from the pictures). I didn't know what a peony was before planning a wedding, so going in person to pick out the blooms was a must. Also, be prepared to have back-ups on some flowers because they may not have enough in stock when you go to pick up for the wedding.

They also have a HUGE store in the back that has any kind of flower, decor, or garden supply you would ever need.

4.7

We decided to DIY our bouquets and arrangements, and Potomac Floral was so easy to work with. The cost was better than most places I researched, and they were really helpful in making suggestions. They were super responsive via email and phone, and even stayed open during the snow storm that shut down everything else in DC (so we could get our flowers thank goodness). Would definitely recommend for someone who wants to DIY their flowers.

Services Used: Flowers

If you're a DIYer, highgly recommend using this florist. All flowers arrived in a timely manner in excellent condition! Also, flowers survived over a week in great condition (though, use a fridge or keep at 36 degrees).

Recently Married

I had a wonderful experience with Potomac Wholesale floral. I DIYed my wedding flowers and used them for all of the flowers I had at my wedding. The warehouse can be a bit hectic, but the staff is very helpful. I did a test-run a few months before my wedding to get a better understanding of how many flowers I would need. I ordered the flowers for my wedding three weeks before and called three days before to make sure they had all of my requested flowers since I read that substitutions are sometimes necessary. All of my flowers were in stock and I was able to pick them up the Thursday before my Saturday wedding. Pick-up took a bit longer than I expected with staff running around to complete my order, but the order was correct and they were very helpful in loading up our car. I feel very good about the $1200 I spent on flowers there. I was able to create dozens of beautiful and full arrangements at a fraction of what they would have cost me through a florist. I received countless compliments on the flowers.

Services Used: Flowers

We did our own flowers and decided to get flowers here. We placed the order prior and everything was put together. When it was time to check out, things were hectic. We ended up standing around waiting for assistance to check out. Nonetheless a good value that helped us save money for the wedding!

1+ year ago

There are a variety of flowers to choose from at such an affordable price. The quality of the flowers are also great.

Services Used: Flowers

Fabulous -- I can't say any other word than fabulous. Being an insane person who's always loved flowers, I decided to do my own for my wedding, and Potomac Floral Wholesale exceeded every expectation and made it fun. Their prices are consistently 30-40% cheaper than other places I checked (esp online) and then I got discounts on top because of my order size (even though I thought it was a smaller one). I really wanted peonies in my bouquet, and they made it happen on short notice at market rate when most places didn't even have them. I strongly encourage you to visit them in person; I tried to do a lot of stuff online (inspiration pics to determine my favorite flowers, price compare, etc) but nothing compares to just going there in person and seeing what they actually have; I changed up several things based on holding bunches together and seeing how they worked.

Special shoutouts to Jeff (friendly, funny, reassuring), Natalie (coordinate an after hours order), Chris (guy in supplies - in demand, but so friendly, problem solver, great advice), and the guy who helped me at pickup (maybe Greg/Dave?), who, when some things had to be substituted because of availability, clearly loved flowers, had a great eye, and was so friendly and helpful).

Tips:
-wear thick layers -- it's cold in the refrigerator
-if you have a Saturday event, schedule a Wednesday pickup. I was worried about them peaking early, but I would have loved more time for the garden roses to open fully (plus it’s a little crazy Thursdays with people picking up for Saturday events)
-be flexible! I ordered 12 low silver ceramic urns, but supplies is reorganizing and only had 8. Chris called me before to let me know, but I said we’d figure it out in person. Sure enough, I found a coordinating urn, swapped 4 out, and everything worked perfectly.

Bottom line: In a wedding industry full of shady upsellers, they don't, and where they could be jerks because of their prices, their customer service is top notch.

Services Used: Flowers

Great flowers for a great price. Good variety!

2.4

Having some art and design talent I wanted to save money by ordering wholesale flowers and creating my own arrangements. My flowers showed up flattened, browning and with substitutions for item that were out of stock that I was never informed of. I was significantly disappointed by the large portion of the flowers that were not even usable. Their website had all sorts of disclaimers about not being responsibly for damage due to shipping. I should have realized this was a red flag for the abuse my flowers would receive.

Services Used: Flowers

I strongly advice for people to order flowers from this vendor. They had the best prices comparable. I looked at many wholesale florists and this was the place to beat. I was fortunate that I was able to save money by going to the location to pick up flowers.
My friend and I were in awe by the huge warehouse filled with fresh flowers and plants.
I was not able to get lilacs (I knew that I had a slim chance on getting them since when I ordered them it was during the time they were possibly going to be out of season) They called me days in advance to let me know that I would not be able to get lilacs due to the weather being too warm for another bloom. They were very helpful with choosing another option. Being that I was going to go and pick the flowers myself they said I could just come in and grab other flowers myself (they helped me with different options to substitute for the lilacs).
When I went to pick up the flowers they were very helpful and also helped with letting me know how to take care of the flowers based on how I would like them for our wedding ie. closed peonies vs open etc.
(I had ordered one bunch of peonies from another place and received them the day before (potomac floral place did not have the color I wanted) and they told me what to do with my flowers so that they would possibly stay closed (long story about that). But when I went to potomac floral they told me the opposite and sure enough the next morning the peonies I ordered from the other place were not usable for my bouquet I was only able to use them for the flower girls basket being that all the petals fell off. The flowers I ordered from potomac were perfectly fine and exactly how I wanted them to be for our wedding day 2 days after picking them up.
I will go to potomac floral anytime I need flowers and would suggest this place to anyone who needs flowers. My friend that came with me was jealous that I lived near a place like potomac floral!

1+ year ago

I was super nervous to DIY the flowers for our wedding, but I have to say in hindsight it worked out incredibly well - the flowers were gorgeous and we did everything (bouquets, boutonnieres, flower arrangements for the ceremony and tables, and rose petals for flower girls) all for $600. We picked up the flowers 2 days in advance and kept them in our hotel bathroom. I was super nervous that they would not make it, but they actually held up for a few days even after the wedding. I did lots of online reading ahead of time about flower care, bought sharp scissors to cut them (while holding under water) and made sure to pick off any leaves or dead stuff at the bottom to help them stay fresh. In the end, it was really fun picking out all the flowers. I'd say this is a great option if you are on a budget and willing to take on a project. You also have to be flexible - I ordered a bunch of ranunculus in different colors and when I arrived I found out they only had red, so I had to make some last-minute switches, but I was really happy with how it all turned out.

Melissa Gohlke
05/16/2014

We used Potomac Wholesale to get our flowers for our wedding. My mom, a florist from out-of-state, then put together all our flowers in home. We worked with Evan at Potomac and he was incredibly helpful and fun. He was very nice and worked easily with my mom, getting all the flowers we needed. He gave her an excellent deal and honored prices that she had found at competing wholesalers. I would give a perfect score except that some of the flowers we received did not open in time for our use at the wedding (which, ya know, nature), but otherwise, everything was wonderful and Potomac was a great vendor to work with.

3.8

If your doing your flowers by yourself like I did this is a great place to get all of your flowers and supply. It was great that you could go in walk around and choose what ever you wanted. But the downside to that was we were not exactly which flower we were choosing and the price of it. So we had a few flowers that were more expensive than we thought ( if I would have know the cost I would have not chosen these flowers) overall the prices were great and reasonabls just be careful of those few that will surprise you. It can get pretty crowed depending on when you go. I bought my flowers on Thursday and about 90% lasted through the wedding on Saturday. So buy a few extra. The men inside were very help full with getting us down different boxes of flowers for us to choose from. One even went to a different section to get me better flowers than what was on the shelf.