Billingsley House Museum

Sort By:

4.2/5.0
  • Professionalism:  4.0
  • Flexibility:  3.0
The Billingsley House was truly a Hidden Gem. Our reception was Beautiful! However you cannot use GPS to find the location so for guests we had to send directions and extra reminders. Our caterer was late so the Billingsley would not let my coordinators begin to set up for them so that was frusterating but everything worked out. The Price is outrageously reasonable. Everything was worth it 100%
Wedding: 08/03/2013
4.1/5.0
  • Responsiveness:  3.5
  • Professionalism:  4.0

Anonymous 1 Reviews
Absolute BEAUTIFUL view. The guest couldnt stop taking about this hidden treasure. THe house was old style tudor with all the fixins. Id visit again and again as they wer very supportive and affordable
Wedding: 1+ year ago
  • Flexibility:  5.0
Billingsley House was literally an answer to prayer. It was exactly the beautiful outdoor setting I'd hoped for at a price our tight budget could afford. The fact that the tent was included was incredible.
Our guests still talk about what a great location it was. The staff was friendly and professional and I'd definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a great outdoor space coupled with a gorgeous historic home.
Wedding: 04/27/2013
  • Flexibility:  5.0
Billingsley House is a hidden gem of a wedding venue! It overlooks the Patuxent river in the background & is in a very serene area. Many people were complimentary of the location since it's not well known of it seems. If you are having a smaller wedding this is the perfect place. The house is beautiful, the grounds are kept well (with flowers alternating during the year), and the outdoor tent with the chandelier type lighting is beautiful. The outdoor tent is a fantastic feature & really you don't necessarily need a dance floor as the tent is over a brick patio. We didn't do the rehearsal at the venue, so I cannot speak to that. As people likely have mentioned, you do have to drive through the water treatment/waste treatment facility-but once you get past that you'll drive down a country type winding road & then come upon the beautiful house & grounds. The drive past the treatment facility is the only thing that caused more anxiety as far as planning goes, because we wanted to make sure people didn't get lost on the way in! It worked out OK though, they have nice maps in their info package that we were able to add to an invitation insert. All communication worked well for us, we just made sure the email both Oxon Hill Manor & Cheri at Billinglsey to make sure communication between offices went well. I would definitely recommend checking out this venue, it's a GREAT value & was literally the most beautiful site we looked at.
Wedding: 10/07/2012
4.0/5.0
  • Responsiveness:  3.5
  • Professionalism:  3.5
  • Flexibility:  4.0
The house is beautiful, picturesque, and a great value. My wedding turned out to be very wonderful, however there were many miscommunications between Oxon Hill Manor (headquarters) and Billingsley. It began to be very stressful near the end, with missing paperwork, etc. No one showed up for my rehearsal, but I was offered an apology and a refund. Cheri at Billingsley was very kind and helpful at all times, a joy to work with........ the issue was OHM who would call and mail me letters about paperwork I already turned in. Overall, I rented the Manor all day for a fraction of the price of all the other parks and planning venues. It was VERY hot, consider a cooler month. The venue is behind the water and sewage plant nestled on a remote, private road......consider Billingsley. The house overlooks the Patuxent River, my guests loved it.
Wedding: 07/14/2012
4.6/5.0
  • Responsiveness:  4.0
  • Flexibility:  4.0
Billingsley House is an amazing venue, especially for the cost. Although we were a bit put off because of how you get there (you have to drive through a waste treatment plant), you will not find a more beautiful location for such a low price. The grounds are gorgeous and the house is a pleasant reminder of Maryland's rich past.

Staff are great to work with, especially on the wedding day. Everyone was polite and helped you out. The main complaint is the same as with anything involving M-NCPPC: communication between different people and departments sometimes gets crossed. Similarly, because of a lack of constant staff on-site, scheduling rehearsals or anything else can be a bit of a pain. Still, with a little extra work on behalf of the client, these miscommunications and scheduling issues can be worked through.

I'd recommend Billingsley to most people looking for a quiet, old "Maryland" affair.
Wedding: 05/14/2011
3.3/5.0
  • Quality of Service:  3.5
  • Responsiveness:  2.0
  • Professionalism:  3.0
  • Value:  4.5
  • Flexibility:  3.5
The venue is beautiful and wonderfully off the beaten path. All of my guests were amazed at the property located just a few miles from Rtes 301 and 4. The grounds staff is great.
The office staff is another matter. We had paperwork repeatedly misplaced so that 1 week before the wedding our caterer had to send everything again or they would not have been allowed on the grounds. There was some confusion over total costs (i.e. security deposit not well explained).
Also, and this is not the venue's fault, DO NOT USE GPS to get there! Use their posted directions and tell your guests to do the same.
Wedding: 05/29/2010
3.5/5.0
  • Quality of Service:  3.0
  • Responsiveness:  3.0
  • Professionalism:  2.5
  • Flexibility:  4.0
Billingsley is an absolutely gorgeous site that is perfect for couples looking for a private, peaceful, affordable, stunning natural setting. It is truly a hidden gem. For the price, you really can't find a better location from my point of view. That said, you do get what you pay for from a planning perspective. The Billingsley site management staff are housed at Oxon Hill manor, work PT, and generally respond to bookings based on whichever staff are available in the office when you call. You may have a primary point of contact based on who helped you when you signed the contract, but that person - at least in my case - was not always available. Honestly, if I hadn't been furloughed one day per week when I was planning the wedding and been able to go into the office regularly in person, I'm not sure I would have had as smooth of an experience. That said, the staff that are there are friendly and professional. You just have to build in additional time to coordinate your vendors with the venue staff - something that might be a turn-off for some vendors. All in all, a gorgeous site that was worth the extra effort.
Wedding: 05/16/2010
  • Flexibility:  5.0
Billingsley House Museum is a true hidden gem. I searched high and low for the venue I had envisioned in my mind and Billingsley House just took my breath away. With it's rolling hills and the Patuxent river in the background, it's the perfect outdoor/garden venue. The outdoor reception space is on a tented brick patio, that has walls that can be let down. The walls are all clear, so the surrounding area is still visible and can be enjoyed.
All communication goes through the staff of Oxon Hill Manor, all belonging to PG County parks and recreation, and they were so easy to work with and answered all my questions and were truly flexible and accomodating to all my requests.
The rental fee is unbelievably affordable and they give a great discount to Montgomery and PG County residents. The fee includes chairs and a variety of different sized tables, which really makes it a bargain. Vendor selection is made easy, as their only requirement is that the caterer be licenced and insured. Other than that, one has free range in vendor choice.
They only allow one event on Saturdays, so the designated 7-hour time frame can be used whenever. I would recommend a morning or afternoon event, so the location can be truly enjoyed.
Granted, getting there can be tricky, so make sure the guests have directions and follow them very carefully, and driving through a waste treatment facility can be off-putting to some, but it's absolutely worth it, because all this will be forgotten as soon as they arrive to the venue.
Anyone looking for a laid back outdoor venue, this is the place to go!
Wedding: 05/08/2010
4.6/5.0
  • Flexibility:  3.0
The venue at the Billingsley House is breathtaking. The interior is smaller (seats only 50, at the very most), but the location is simply ideal for an outdoor event. The setting is peaceful and the views over the river are unbeatable. The entrance to the property is a little confusing and odd, but once you get past that - the property is amazing.

The staff seems to float between several county historical properties, but that didn't seem to retract from the professionalism and general friendliness of all the staff members I dealt with. I only gave 3 stars for "flexibility" because the property is only open on weekends at certain times of the year and as spring and summer arrive, it can be tough to schedule a visit to see the place. However, it is worth every inconvenience in that regard!

My fiance and I held our wedding ceremony and reception there, and our guests did not want to leave! I wish they opened the guest rooms upstairs, as I would have paid any amount of money to just stay the night there...

The price cannot be beat in the Washington, DC area - the price also includes tables and chairs for 120, as well as a huge brick patio and white tent complete with chandeliers and removable walls with arched windows.

Plenty of nice hotels in the Bowie Towne Center area for guests, with shopping and entertainment as well.
Wedding: 05/16/2009
 301-627-0730
Please let this vendor know
you found them on WeddingWire