Ashley589
Super August 2016

Registry Talk

Ashley589, on June 22, 2016 at 4:10 PM Posted in Planning 0 33
Saved Save

Touchy subject..I know.

So I am not one of those brides that already has everything so I can't decide what to put on my registry. I need a lot so I put a lot on my registry (or so I thought). All the basics - china, regular dinnerware, all kinds of glassware, towels, tons of bedding, tons of cooking/baking supplies, all price ranges.

Well..a couple weeks ago at my shower, right before I opened gifts, one woman shouts out in front of everyone "you have the wimpiest registry I have ever seen! There was nothing on there I could buy you!" It was soooo awkward! Everyone kind of stared at her! But a couple others actually agreed!

It reminded me of the way we tell brides on here who say they want cash, to just make a small registry. Well, now I'm thinking that is frowned upon too...even though I didn't even think my registry is small!

33 Comments

• Mrs. Britt
    VIP August 2016
    Mrs. Britt ·
    • Flag

Well that was rude of her...how was your registry wimpy if you put a lot on there?

• ELK
    Master March 2018
    ELK ·
    • Flag

She is just a rude person. You shouldn't register for things you don't want/need just so people have something to buy you.

• FreshToDeathAng
    Master September 2016
    FreshToDeathAng ·
    • Flag

She/They just sound rude!

• Zaz
    Master October 2016
    Zaz ·
    • Flag

How rude! I would never say that out loud in public, if it even crossed my mind! For crying out loud, it's a wedding registry, not a bucket list of crazy stuff! *smh*

• Ashley589
    Super August 2016
    Ashley589 ·
    • Flag

Well...y'all aren't wrong. I'm glad to hear that. She also showed up an hour late!

ETA: A lot of the "good" gifts (cutesy things like pink cake pans from anthro, towels, wine glasses) had already been bought. There were still a lot to choose from that might be more boring (like a trash can or a clothes hamper..lol). So that's all I can think of really. But hey, I don't see a problem with those gifts. If a bride registered for it, she will be happy to get it as a gift!

• Colleen
    Devoted September 2016
    Colleen ·
    • Flag

That was rude. My fiance and I bought a house in November but we have a mix of his old stuff and my old stuff so we registered for all new things. Towels, bedding, curtains, cookware, silverware, a couple of little decor items....We have two registries and probably have about 40 items on each. It was suggested that register for double the items of guests. If that were the case I would just be scanning crap to scan it.

• N
    Master October 2016
    no1 ·
    • Flag

Wow... very rude... I have a small registry (less than 40 items), I had a handful of people asking my mom why and asking if we have (fill in basic items here) & offering to buy (fill in items that we already have). So I added a little note on our website saying we have everything we need except for the items on the registry and furniture. We didnt mention money or write a stupid poem, just stated it plain and simple. Let people make their own connections,

• Sam
    Super October 2016
    Sam ·
    • Flag

That was rude to say that in front of everyone, or at all honestly. We just added items of all kinds of price ranges to make people happy. I had one person tell me i should put more expensive stuff on there, but she's a little wacko haha

• Crescent 1894
    VIP March 2016
    Crescent 1894 ·
    • Flag

How rude of her. It doesn't matter if she liked the stuff or not. What matters is that you registered for it. Also, serious props for registering for fine china!!!

• Ashley589
    Super August 2016
    Ashley589 ·
    • Flag

@Crescent.....that was almost against my will. I got so much pressure from friends and family to do it, so I was just like...whatever. I registered for some really cute china from BB&B that's Kate Spade. But I mean, it's expensive. And no one has bought any of it. But I could really care less if I get it or not.

@Alyssa she was saying there wasn't enough on there.

• Jacqui76
    Master May 2016
    Jacqui76 ·
    • Flag

I had a small-ish registry and my bridesmaids gave me some crap for it, but I can't imagine anyone actually shouting that out at the shower! Don't worry, she's the one that was getting the side-eye from the guests, not you.

• FinallyMrs.Gent
    Devoted September 2016
    FinallyMrs.Gent ·
    • Flag

Wow... Just out of curiosity... what did she get you?

• Ashley589
    Super August 2016
    Ashley589 ·
    • Flag

She went off the registry and got me a wood chip and dip plate with our last name engraved in it. So she obviously was putting a lot of time into our gift! It was just so weird to me that she made that comment.

• Allymonbanana
    Super November 2016
    Allymonbanana ·
    • Flag

Wtf?! If it makes you feel better I have a "whimpy" registry too. I was trying to bulk it up.

• FinallyMrs.Gent
    Devoted September 2016
    FinallyMrs.Gent ·
    • Flag

Yes does seem very strange... maybe she was trying to be funny and it back fired. I know a lot of people that are like that. A very "off" sense of humor.

• Jacqui76
    Master May 2016
    Jacqui76 ·
    • Flag

@Mrs.Gent is right. I have a friend that's like that- she makes comments that seem funny in her head, but the rest of us are going, "WTF?" and scratching our heads most of the time.

• Swin.
    Master June 2016
    Swin. ·
    • Flag

We have a normal registry, but nothing too crazy on it. Maybe it's whimpy for this lady's standards? FH and I really wanted to only put things we actually needed/had the space to have. I've had some people go, "why didn't you register for (something)" and it weirds me out a lot. I'm like, sorry I didn't register for a gravy boat, I don't have space to store that. But, I did register for a hamper. I hope that's cool.

Basically, you can't please everyone. Just keep going forward! That comment was super rude.

• Erin381
    Master September 2016
    Erin381 ·
    • Flag

So as a total aside (since this was not what happened with you, this women was just rude)

HOWEVER, if you "want cash" and make a small registry, you don't have a shower- a shower is meant to shower you with gifts, if you do not want gifts, you don't have a shower....

• Emily
    Master May 2014
    Emily ·
    • Flag

Perhaps she meant there wasn't anything "exciting" or interesting. Personally, I don't like buying relatively boring things like trash cans or towels. BUT those are still practical gifts and there is nothing wrong with them on a registry. I am just trying to guess what she meant. She was super rude!

• PushingButtons
    Super May 2017
    PushingButtons ·
    • Flag

So rude! Just like having a wedding isn't a cash-grab, it isn't a gift grab either! You were totally in the right to register for practical items and only what you need. What a snob, I bet she thinks she's cute.

Comment on this discussion