Courtney
Devoted September 2018

Nursing Students/Nurses - Health Advice?!

Courtney, on Nov 28, 2017 at 4:54 PM Posted in Fitness and Health

I'm currently in the middle of nursing school while planning for the wedding, and with it being 10 months away now I've started trying to make healthier lifestyle choices; working out, eating right. However with the never ending study, clinical placements and working full time I find myself reaching for multiple cups of coffee a day or carbs! Any tips on how to incorporate this into such a busy schedule!

Share:

12 Comments

• Nicole
    Devoted September 2018
    Nicole ·

I make and freeze big batches of soup into small freezer bags. When I don't have a healthy lunch already in the fridge I grab one for work. This is especially good for night shifts as soup is a bit lighter and doesn't sit as heavy on your gut. I'll also put smoothie fixings in my magic bullet cup the night before work and then blend it in the morning. I find it picks me up as much as a cup of coffee.

In nursing school I brought printed notes to the gym and did studying on the elliptical/treadmill.

• hannahdee
    Super June 2018
    hannahdee ·

My best advice is if you don't buy it, you won't eat it (most of the time) don't buy crackers, chips, cookies, etc and replace them with healthier snacks that you still like. Also, coffee isn't all that bad as long as you don't have a ton of sugar in it

• BoudreauToBe
    Master July 2018
    BoudreauToBe ·

I'm not a nursing student, but I do work 60+ hours a week during the winter.

I like to chop up vegetables (lettuce, red onion, bell peppers, cherry tomatoes, olives, etc.) into a freezer bag (let the air completely out) and keep it in the fridge for salads all week - I can take out just as much as I need each day. I chop mushrooms, hard boiled eggs, and black beans in another container and add it to the tupperware. Dressing is easy - red wine vinegar, a little olive oil, a spoon of dijon mustard, garlic, and black pepper.

I am with @Nicole - I loved studying on the bike at the gym during college!

• Elizabeth
    Master December 2016
    Elizabeth ·

Not a nurse, but a doctor.

During med school clinicals, I carried in my white coat pocket: protein bars, a bag of almonds, a small bottle of water (I kept refilling throughout the day), some raisins, and a package of peanut butter crackers. Yes, my coat was heavy, but I was always nourished and didn't need to reach for that Snickers bar quite as much.

• Steph
    Super June 2018
    Steph ·

Not a nurse, but I'm currently working on my second masters (in public health) so I've had my fair share of learning time management.

Pre cut, chopped salads in a bag are my best friends, easy to throw together and pre-washed. Like PP said, I also cut up veggies a lot at a time so I can just grab them. I also will make big crock pot meals (often soups or lentil curries that have lots of veggies) and freeze individual servings. My other advice is to allocate specific times for wedding planning. If you're on a typical semester schedule you probably have finals coming up. Don't do any wedding related stuff until after finals, then set aside time during your break specifically for wedding planning.

• Alisha
    Super October 2018
    Alisha ·

I'm a medical student, and I gained 10lbs in my first semester because I was so stressed and busy that I was always grabbing fast food and never working out. Spring semester, I learned to study on the treadmill, and meal prep (especially crock pot meals) works wonders! I threw chicken in the crockpot this morning, went to class, made quinoa when I got home, and now I have dinner for the week!

Air popped popcorn (with no butter) is a great filling snack, I make it just about every day.

Also second what was said if you don't buy it, you won't eat it. I don't buy junk food, but my grandma gave me a bag of Hershey kisses this weekend and I can't stay out of them -_-.

• Courtney
    Devoted September 2018
    Courtney ·

Thanks everyone for all your advice! Studying at the gym is a genius multitasker I don't know why I haven't thought of that before! I don't have a crockpot as I have a teeny tiny NYC apartment but I'm sure I can prep some soup on the stove!

@Alisha - Hershey kisses sound delicious right now, and totally irresistible!

• Alisha
    Super October 2018
    Alisha ·

You can do it OP!

• E
    Savvy December 2018
    Erin ·
    I was a nursing student not too long ago. We had several girls plan weddings during. Most of us brought food in those thermal bags or items that didn't need refrigeration for class and study hall. Soup in a microwaveable can was popular. Good luck to you. RN School was the hardest but best thing I ever did.
  • Kylee
    Dedicated June 2018
    Kylee ·

Can you find any type of shakes that you like?? My FH and I drink MountainOPs meal replacement shakes on our days that we work. My shift's are 12 hr CNA's shifts, as I"m waiting to see if I get accepted into nursing school and I've noticed it helps me survive the morning without reaching for snacks, and it also helps get in daily servings of vegetables!

• H
    Beginner August 2018
    Hillary ·

Yes! Ill graduate nursing school three weeks before my wedding and training to complete a full Ironman the Sunday after my finals. (I'm also an exercise physiologist)

I only drink black coffee, but I found the SlimQuick drink packets have a good amount of caffeine in them (They will NOT make you slim quick, that's a hoax) but they do energize you and don't taste bad! Also meal prep healthy meals is so helpful!

Bring those notecards to the gym, review them on the bike. Then go on the elliptical or run and try to review without them! Definitely make time for working out, it might feel like your wasting time but it lowers your stress and increases focus so much more!

I also climb the stairs of the hospital for the first 15 min of my break, then eat my lunch in 15 min! I'm crazy.

Good Luck!!

• GoodMOB
    GoodMOB ·

String cheese

Comment on this discussion